Sergio Ramos' goal scoring ability...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Off the top of my head, surely the greatest goal scoring centre half of modern times? I am discounting any set piece takers like too, like Sinisa, who probably scored loads, but even then, Ramos has got a fair few free-kicks in his career too.

The frequency with which he pops up with big headed goals in particular is astonishing. I have won my fair share of money on in-play bets whenever Real are tied in a game to bet on Ramos to score next.

He must have close to 50 goals for Real now surely?

Needham

Off the top of my head, surely the greatest goal scoring centre half of modern times? I am discounting any set piece takers like too, like Sinisa, who probably scored loads, but even then, Ramos has got a fair few free-kicks in his career too.

The frequency with which he pops up with big headed goals in particular is astonishing. I have won my fair share of money on in-play bets whenever Real are tied in a game to bet on Ramos to score next.

He must have close to 50 goals for Real now surely?
*quickly checks wikipedia, discovers Sergio Ramos has scored 49 goals, types "He must have close to 50 goals for Real now surely?"*
Sorry bud!

OL29

Didn't Steve Bruce hit double figures in a season for us once, I think he'd be up there in terms of prolific defenders

Edit: just checked wiki, he scored 19 for us in the 90/91 season, although I assume he must've taken penalties.

He scored 51 for us overall, which is very impressive

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wiki has him down as having 49 goals, so you're 1 away.
Pretty sure that's just a league stat too, which is how Wiki usually show stats.

Just checked and in all competitions, he has around 70.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Didn't Steve Bruce hit double figures in a season for us once, I think he'd be up there in terms of prolific defenders
Yea, that was a great season, and there have been others like Vidic and Terry in the PL, but the consistency of Ramos' goal scoring is ridiculous.

Skills

Snitch
He's god, he rises above all mortals when his men need him the most.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Growing up I seem to remember David Unsworth scoring lots, but I'm sure he was as much a left back as he was a centre half, and he took pens too.

AgentP

John Terry must be up there for goal scoring defenders. But I don't think he scored as often as Ramos in really important games. Not only does Ramos attack the ball so well but he also places it perfectly and gets a lot of power on the header. A lot of credit also needs to be given to the set piece takers that Madrid have had over the years. Kroos, Ozil, Di Maria, Xabi, etc have excellent delivery. The crosses by our players can't even beat the first defender. He also has players like Ronaldo, Bale, Pepe and Benzema with him in the box which makes it difficult for the opposition to just focus on him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Dion Dublin scored a few.

AndyJ1985

Not a centre half but when I think of goal scoring defensive players Roberto Carlos is the first to spring to mind.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
This vid is a good insight into the tactics to give him space at set pieces.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This vid is a good insight into the tactics to give him space at set pieces.

It's quite impressive that he goes through all this motions and still ends up being offside. :lol:

KN5

I want to punch him in the face but there's no denying he's an absolute clutch beast.

luke511

Ronald Koeman scored 239 goals in 685 games as CB, that must be the best ever record? This is one thing that has puzzled me for a long time, how does that even happen!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Free-kicks, penalties, also total football meant he regularly pushed up into midfield in possession, and he had RPGs for legs

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Ronald Koeman scored 239 goals in 685 games as CB, that must be the best ever record? This is one thing that has puzzled me for a long time, how does that even happen!
:lol: I knew he scored loads but that's actually ridiculous.

Dion

Herrera does the same and we love him.
Name one time Herrera has gotten someone sent off when we're 3-1 up with 5 minutes left. Bonus points if it's in a Champions League final.

lem8sh

Name one time Herrera has gotten someone sent off when we're 3-1 up with 5 minutes left. Bonus points if it's in a Champions League final.
That's one of the most stupid things I've ever read. As if it only counts when we're 3-1 up with 5 minutes left. Trying to get somebody sent off is wrong no matter what minute of what game of what competition.

Dion

That's one of the most stupid things I've ever read. As if it only counts when we're 3-1 up with 5 minutes left. Trying to get somebody sent off is wrong no matter what minute of what game of what competition.
Context matters have a think.

You do it to win a game and you're a shit-house. You do it in a game that is already won and you're an order of magnitude worse.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Like, almost amongst the MOST ridiculous things to say.