Sergio Ramos' goal scoring ability...

Varun

Staff
Name one time Herrera has gotten someone sent off when we're 3-1 up with 5 minutes left. Bonus points if it's in a Champions League final.
More bonus points if the final is vs Juve and the player in question is Cuadrado. Am I doing this right?

Dion

That's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Like, almost amongst the MOST ridiculous things to say.
No it's not. Doing it because you want to win is cnutish, doing it even though you've already won just because you can is far worse.

shield

That was completely classless. They had already won the match. Like it is a force of habit. Think he was a bit of idiot too. If you are 3-1 up with only 10 min remaining, you are mostly assured a victory. So, just show some fake sympathy and pick people up after tackles and act as if you are a good guy (even though he might actually want to just stamp on them instead)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Double standards are aweful. Ander does dirtier stuff. And he is lauded here (correctly). For Real fans, Ramos is a leyend, needless to say
Herrera is a cnut that you like because he's on your team, one you despise if he is on a rivals team but not someone you care much about if he's in a random mid-table team. Herrera moans and bitches over every decision the ref makes, but Ramos is an entirely other level with cuntishness. Put Ramos, Pepe, Busquets and Suarez in a mid-table team (look past their qualities) and their personalities on the pitch will still make me utterly hate them

I have nothing for or against Real Madrid, but can't stand him or Pepe from their bunch; just like i can't stand Sir Sergio of Busquits & Suarez from Barcelona (and from what I hear, Alba should be in the mix as well). Fantastic clubs, great players (or so the people who watch them enough and don't hate them as much say), but to me, they and their attitudes should be thrown out of the game.

Not so much about double standards as much as it's something you accept begrudgingly as part of the game, and some people taking that to such an extreme that accepting it is impossible.

JeffBoomTetris

Herrera is a cnut that you like because he's on your team, one you despise if he is on a rivals team but not someone you care much about if he's in a random mid-table team. Herrera moans and bitches over every decision the ref makes, but Ramos is an entirely other level with cuntishness. Put Ramos, Pepe, Busquets and Suarez in a mid-table team (look past their qualities) and their personalities on the pitch will still make me utterly hate them

I have nothing for or against Real Madrid, but can't stand him or Pepe from their bunch; just like i can't stand Sir Sergio of Busquits & Suarez from Barcelona (and from what I hear, Alba should be in the mix as well). Fantastic clubs, great players (or so the people who watch them enough and don't hate them as much say), but to me, they and their attitudes should be thrown out of the game.

Not so much about double standards as much as it's something you accept begrudgingly as part of the game, and some people taking that to such an extreme that accepting it is impossible.
I am skeptical about the bolded part. You definitely will not consider a player like Mandzukic more of a cnut than Ramos even tho he is worse than Ramos. The reason is that he plays for Juventus a less successful club. If Ramos still played for Sevilla or Biscuits for Espanyol or say Suarez for Feyenoord you would not have even heard of them much less hate them.

give it time & IF Herrera wins a big trophy next season(an if, mind) then fans of other teams will dislike him too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I am skeptical about the bolded part. You definitely will not consider a player like Mandzukic more of a cnut than Ramos even tho he is worse than Ramos. The reason is that he plays for Juventus a less successful club. If Ramos still played for Sevilla or Biscuits for Espanyol or say Suarez for Feyenoord you would not have even heard of them much less hate them.

give it time & IF Herrera wins a big trophy next season(an if, mind) then fans of other teams will dislike him too.
Had they played in Norway, I'd have heard of them and I'd dislike them just as much as now, which is my point.
If I followed La Liga and they were playing for Sevilla, Espanyol and their feckery was up for show all the time for me, I'd still hate their guts.

You and many others might not feel the same, it's all about that line in the sand you draw yourself.
For me, it's down to some antics being annoying, while others I feel push it way beyond just annoying and I actually get frustrated/angry looking at it.
I don't follow the Serie A, so can't comment on Mandzukic.

JeffBoomTetris

Had they played in Norway, I'd have heard of them and I'd dislike them just as much as now, which is my point.
If I followed La Liga and they were playing for Sevilla, Espanyol and their feckery was up for show all the time for me, I'd still hate their guts.

You and many others might not feel the same, it's all about that line in the sand you draw yourself.
For me, it's down to some antics being annoying, while others I feel push it way beyond just annoying and I actually get frustrated/angry looking at it.
I don't follow the Serie A, so can't comment on Mandzukic.
Which was the point I was making anyway. If we win a big title next season and Herrera is fortunate to be part of tHat, rivals will hate him as much as Busquets or Ramos.

tbf Suarez is just different tho because he bit 3 players and has racism associated with him

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Which was the point I was making anyway. If we win a big title next season and Herrera is fortunate to be part of tHat, rivals will hate him as much as Busquets or Ramos.

tbf Suarez is just different tho because he bit 3 players and has racism associated with him
Maybe, but to me, you have:

Tier 1 of cnuts I can't stand wherever they may be and I think football would be better without them:
Suarez, Busquets, Pepe, Ramos, Costa (and probably more I've forgotten about right now)

Tier 2 of cnuts I can't stand, but if they were at meaningless clubs I wouldn't care as much, in other words they are annoying but that's it:
Terry, Alli, Gerrard, Ronaldo and tons more. (Ander comes in here for me)

2nd tier folks are annoying but "part of the game", and a reason to love it as they bring personality to it and entertainment.
1st tier might be great players, but more than that I can't enjoy watching football with them involved when they do their stuff.
I'm sure a lot of people have different views on who belongs where, but Ramos among few others have taken their antics to levels beyond fun/banter or ignorable for me.

Edit to clarify:
The antics/events that have made them go into that tier, if I would have noticed them before in lower clubs would have made them go into that tier.
If I had seen Suarez biting someone during his Ajax days, or that tackle where he tried to injure someone just to fake a injury in the exact same tackling-movement (I'm sure you know which tackle I'm talking about), he'd be on my list of players I can't stand.

If I see a player play-act like Sergio, and then peep through his fingers and laugh like a silly little kid, he gets on my list.

If a player always tries to make a match into a pissing contest to wind up the opposition instead of it being secondary, like with Costa, they'd be on my list.

If someone so clearly goes in to injure players as Pepe has done on multiple occassions, he gets on my list.

In Ramos case, it's been a soft-mix of Pepe going in to injure players & play-acting like Sergio. He's not as bad as either, but the mix makes him too hard to accept.

Last edited:

SirMattBugsby

His goal against Apoel was Beckenbauer-esque. There's no doubt in my mind now: he is the best defender in football and a top ten player.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Special player who always seems to come up with exciting goals in the clutch.

LoneStar

He's the best CB in the world and also an amazing captain/leader for that Madrid side. He's been very inspirational for them in the last couple of seasons.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Definition of a leader on the pitch.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
And to think that before Real Madrid's CL triumphs he was one of main culprits for their lack of success. How things change.

Cait Sith

He is the best CB in the world by far
Nope. No problem if you think he is the best but "by far"? Nope. He is Pique level. Pique is actually a more reliable defender, Ramos is more clutch when it matters.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is the best CB in the world by far
Not as a defender, but a great modern footballer. Well rounded and could play basically any position on the pitch.

His calmness at the top level is extremely rare, he obviously loves the big atmospheres.

Just look at how he took his penalty against Romania, selling the keeper with his eyes and body position, then switching corners at the last second.

If only he could stop getting sent off.

izec

Not as a defender, but a great modern footballer. Well rounded and could play basically any position on the pitch.

His calmness at the top level is extremely rare, he obviously loves the big atmospheres.

Just look at how he took his penalty against Romania, selling the keeper with his eyes and body position, then switching corners at the last second.

The penalty was pretty smooth, you wouldnt expect a CB to have movement like that from the spot, but Ramos isnt your typical CB or player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The penalty was pretty smooth, you wouldnt expect a CB to have movement like that from the spot, but Ramos isnt your typical CB or player.
Yep, he clearly feels at home on the pitch infront of millions of people.

If I had 1 penalty to win the world cup final i'd 100% give it to him. He'd probably Panenka it too :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nope. No problem if you think he is the best but "by far"? Nope. He is Pique level. Pique is actually a more reliable defender, Ramos is more clutch when it matters.

He is the best CB in the world by far. Look at his trophy count.

Tostao_80

Yep, he clearly feels at home on the pitch infront of millions of people.

If I had 1 penalty to win the world cup final i'd 100% give it to him. He'd probably Panenka it too :lol:
Didnt he miss a penalty in a world cup/ Euro game for Spain that contributed to them going out?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
166 caps too, looks like will be the highest capped player ever from the big footballing nations.

Also has the record for most yellow and red cards in la Liga I think.

izec

166 caps too, looks like will be the highest capped player ever from the big footballing nations.

Also has the record for most yellow and red cards in la Liga I think.
He definitely left his mark on football, nobody can say he was boring :D

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ramos for all his faults is a footballing great.

He is not just a great defender, but he is an all-round leader and has many qualities to offer a team defensive duty, genuinely midfield level passing, he served as a top class right back and he is a massive goal threat.

Shame he's a first class twat too...but he's the twat you love if he's yours.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sure fine he's good, but he's also the most overrated football player in history and I will always remember him for stumbling over Pique while Robben scored the 2-0 in 2014.

izec

Sure fine he's good, but he's also the most overrated football player in history and I will always remember him for stumbling over Pique while Robben scored the 2-0 in 2014.
I also remember him getting destroyed by Ronaldinho, but these things happen. I dont think there exists a footballer not bottling it/ and or embarrassing himself at some point in his career during a game. You cant always win and look good.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ramos for all his faults is a footballing great.

He is not just a great defender, but he is an all-round leader and has many qualities to offer a team defensive duty, genuinely midfield level passing, he served as a top class right back and he is a massive goal threat.

Shame he's a first class twat too...but he's the twat you love if he's yours.
Exactly. He isn't the best CB but as a package he was the best at his peak. Good defender, goal threat and more than that he was a leader.