Sergio Ramos | Signs new 5 year contract

What do you think of Sergio Ramos as a potential signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iHicksy

Absolutely detest this guy. His only redeeming feature is looking like Val Kilmer in TopGun.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We could do with a few more cnuts in the team tbh

wr8_utd

:'(
Am I the only one who finds him rather overrated? He makes far too many mistakes

Loublaze

ATLien
His agent is using the name of mufc to get a better contract for Ramos just like alves did. Nothing to see here.
Exactly. feck these Barca and Real players. Its probably the same thing with Benzema (not sure about his contract situation though).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is a great defender and leader, he has not been a rock for RM and Spain for almost a decade now for no reason.

He is overrated? Compared to who? Who are the defenders better than him over a longer period? And I don't mean defenders who have good stats for one or two league seasons, what I mean are defenders who have also performed against the best attackers under the highest pressure in Euro/WC quarters/semis/finals or in the top CL games. Sure he makes mistakes (but who doesn't?) but his good performances by far make up for some bad ones.

Plus l could't care less how much of a cnut he apparently is, better being that and good at football than being nice but average.
Even worse being a cnut AND average (step up Mr Chest).

Having said all that he is not going to leave Madrid at least until 33/34, he is going to be RM's and Spain's next captain instead.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly. feck these Barca and Real players. Its probably the same thing with Benzema (not sure about his contract situation though).
Benzema agent is the one who said that Benzema wasn't going anywhere.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think Busquets himself is laughingh at your comment.

I just knew someone will respond with that picture or with the gif, such a childish response, as always when someone mentions Busquets. It's incredible how thing that happened long time ago is still chasing him but yet people find Ramos as good guy in comparision with him, even though he does cnutish things in pretty much every game. I am not defending Busquets btw, I just find it laughable that people who think Busquets is a cnut don't find Ramos as much bigger cnut than him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Benzema agent is the one who said that Benzema wasn't going anywhere.
It doesn't mean much these days though does it? They do this all the time, say one thing and do another. It would actually make sense to stur up rumors and deny them yourself, the desired result is still achieved.

PvsNP

Ramos is one of the most overrated defenders of the last 10 years. We would be mad to be after him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It doesn't mean much these days though does it? They do this all the time, say one thing and do another. It would actually make sense to stur up rumors and deny them yourself, the desired result is still achieved.
It means that the agent isn't willing to put any pressure on the club, which probably means that he isn't negotiating.

gaucho_10

What's worse, that or being a thug like Ramos?
I don't blame Busquets, it's all down to Guardiola and his "tactics".
It sticks really well 3 years later, as Neymar is showing every time he loses the ball.

gaucho_10

Don't be a moron.
Did you remember Barca before Pep took over?

Crowding the ref, provoking opposition players and going down at first contact. He brought great football together with the unmatched amount of gamesmenship.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
:( goodbye Ramos, Bale, Ronaldo, Carvajal, Isco and Benzema..

I hope we can field 11 players after this summer.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
:( goodbye Ramos, Bale, Ronaldo, Carvajal, Isco and Benzema..

I hope we can field 11 players after this summer.
6 player transfer to United. Ground breaking stuff.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
He is a great defender and leader, he has not been a rock for RM and Spain for almost a decade now for no reason.

He is overrated? Compared to who? Who are the defenders better than him over a longer period? And I don't mean defenders who have good stats for one or two league seasons, what I mean are defenders who have also performed against the best attackers under the highest pressure in Euro/WC quarters/semis/finals or in the top CL games. Sure he makes mistakes (but who doesn't?) but his good performances by far make up for some bad ones.

Plus l could't care less how much of a cnut he apparently is, better being that and good at football than being nice but average.
Even worse being a cnut AND average (step up Mr Chest).

Having said all that he is not going to leave Madrid at least until 33/34, he is going to be RM's and Spain's next captain instead.
Sense.

Zen

We'll throw in ADM too, for free, and pay his wages, because why not? They paid for Nani to play elsewhere.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

He is overrated? Compared to who?
I'd say if you compare him to someone like Hierro you see a pretty noticeable gulf in class. Hierro really was a rock, Ramos is just one of the best in a relatively mediocre bunch.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
We need some more cnuts at our club.

united_99

I'd say if you compare him to someone like Hierro you see a pretty noticeable gulf in class. Hierro really was a rock, Ramos is just one of the best in a relatively mediocre bunch.
Well of course, but is Hierro playing right now? Could he make a difference for any top club right now?

I mean it's like saying I find all the attacking players currently overrated because noone compares to Maradona.

Ramos really can't be that mediocre or overrated if in order to downplay him ppl come up with players who retired ages ago.

MUFC07

There's no way this guy is leaving Madrid. Everybody loves him there and he loves everything.

He's fckin good though.

Brwned

Well of course, but is Hierro playing right now? Could he make a difference for any top club right now?

I mean it's like saying I find all the attacking players currently overrated because noone compares to Maradona.

Ramos really can't be that mediocre or overrated if in order to downplay him ppl come up with players who retired ages ago.
It's not like comparing him to Maradona though. If I'd said he doesn't compare to Baresi you'd have a point, but Hierro's a different kettle of fish altogether. He doesn't hold a candle to Baresi and Ramos can't compare to Hierro. He is without a doubt one of the best defenders in the world for me, but that says more about the current crop of defenders than it does about him.

Anyway, to directly answer your point, he's overrated in the sense that he's flashy and eye-catching and all-action and thus attracts more attention than his performances deserve. For example Madrid fans' widely agreed that Pepe was their best defender in 13/14 and yet at the same time most people were calling Ramos in the best defender in the world - largely because of those crucial headed goals and all-action displays.

Theonas

Scout
Did you remember Barca before Pep took over?

Crowding the ref, provoking opposition players and going down at first contact. He brought great football together with the unmatched amount of gamesmenship.
Do you even watch football in Spain and Italy? It's always been part of the culture to gain any advantage possible. Diving and exaggerating contact is not seen there as the ultimate despicable sin it is in the UK and the guys in the UK are no angels either. To claim it is down to one manager or one player is ludicrous.

united_99

It's not like comparing him to Maradona though. If I'd said he doesn't compare to Baresi you'd have a point, but Hierro's a different kettle of fish altogether. He doesn't hold a candle to Baresi and Ramos can't compare to Hierro. He is without a doubt one of the best defenders in the world for me, but that says more about the current crop of defenders than it does about him.

Anyway, to directly answer your point, he's overrated in the sense that he's flashy and eye-catching and all-action and thus attracts more attention than his performances deserve. For example Madrid fans' widely agreed that Pepe was their best defender in 13/14 and yet at the same time most people were calling Ramos in the best defender in the world - largely because of those crucial headed goals.
Well Pepe is another great defender who ppl call overrated at times as well, same with Pique.

Pique and Ramos have been at world class level since a very young age, so they are bound to make mistakes or look silly in a few games out of so many they have been playing every season for the last few years.
Ramos scoring headers goes both ways, too. For every fan overrating him because of headers scored there's a fan underrating him by focusing on those headers and neglecting the defensive performance he delivered throughout the 90/120 mins.

The way I see it if there was a CL or WC final played today (where I assume the opposition would be of high quality as well) and I had to chose the CBs, Ramos would be in my team. Today, 2 years ago and 4 or 5 years ago as well. That's good enough for me.

Obviously you can compare him to some greats of the past, but I find it strange when ppl call him overrated. What would the same ppl then call other goid defenders or for example Smalling who our fans rate highly but who is still a bit unproven at the international level and who despite the good season he has had was for example at the same time capable of making 2 silly mistakes against City within a few minutes?

Eugenius

He's an absolute tool. I remember Welbeck's goal in the Bernabeu, and all he was trying to do to defend the corner was trying to manhandle him. 30 career reds is it?

Theonas

Scout
This idea that defenders nowadays are average is increasingly clouding people's judgement. There is definitely an element of nostalgia about former defenders plus the fact that we did not watch them as regularly as we watch the current crop. Imagine if we all saw from Ramos was his performances for the Spain team and the big games in the CL like last year's against Bayern and Atlético? The perception would be very different indeed. The other factor is that defenders are less protected nowadays and are asked to contribute more attacking wise which exposes them more. This has been said many times but nobody seems to accept it and move on with the times. I blame this actually on football pundits as a lot of them are former defenders and defensive minded players and they can't help but go on the "it was better in our days" bandwagon. The bottom line is we should stop looking for the next Vidic or Stam and accept that football is played another way now and there are no better than Ramos when it comes to that. Unless of course you want to see us play like Chelsea with a deep line and base our game on solidity first, in which case, I think Ramos would be a bad addition indeed.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I actually like and rate him. He would be a good fit in van Gaal style too. Only thing is I can't think of any reasons why he would like to leave.

Brwned

This idea that defenders nowadays are average is increasingly clouding people's judgement. There is definitely an element of nostalgia about former defenders plus the fact that we did not watch them as regularly as we watch the current crop. Imagine if we all saw from Ramos was his performances for the Spain team and the big games in the CL like last year's against Bayern and Atlético? The perception would be very different indeed. The other factor is that defenders are less protected nowadays and are asked to contribute more attacking wise which exposes them more. This has been said many times but nobody seems to accept it and move on with the times. I blame this actually on football pundits as a lot of them are former defenders and defensive minded players and they can't help but go on the "it was better in our days" bandwagon. The bottom line is we should stop looking for the next Vidic or Stam and accept that football is played another way now and there are no better than Ramos when it comes to that. Unless of course you want to see us play like Chelsea with a deep line and base our game on solidity first, in which case, I think Ramos would be a bad addition indeed.
Hierro contributed more on the ball - you only need to compare his midfield performances to Ramos in midfield this season to see that - and was clearly the better defender, IMO. He didn't have any note protection either. I just see that as excuses for the current crop of defenders. The next generation can only improve on this one.

Last edited:

Sylar

lol, we would buy him and play him DM or LB.

Agents to tend to use United a lot to get their players a new improved contract.

Really dont want him anywhere near our side. A massive cheat and horribly overrated.

Theonas

Scout
Hierro contributed more on the ball - you only need to compare his midfield performances to Ramos in midfield this season to see that - and was clearly the better defender, IMO. He didn't have any note protection either. I just see that as excuses for the current crop of defenders. The next generation can only improve on this one.
Ramos had good games in midfield and Hierro had some bad ones. I really think you are overrating Hierro, I remember the original Galacticos were criticized the same way this team is for their lack of defensive grit. People needed an excuse to justify why they weren't winning as much as they should and were criticizing Hierro and Helguera. Casillas was seen as a one man defence. I am not saying this was true but my point is that we tend to overrate the past as some sort of golden age.

Your other point about the lack of cover and other factors being an excuse is a bit odd. Of course it is an excuse but not every excuse is wrong and stupid. It's a fact that defenders are trained and asked to do different things from the past. It is also a fact that less physicality is allowed and the rules are geared towards protecting the attacking players. There are some footballing academies in the continent that do not even train their kids man marking. Maybe it is Barcelona or the Dutch total football philosophy that changed how teams are trying to play now but it is very easy to detect. Another contributing factor is the fall of Italian teams who were traditionally producing the best defenders. Those are all reasons why defenders play a different way and it is about time this stops being seen as a problem. The fact that Piqué, Mascherano, Dante, Boateng, Ramos and Pepe were the last CL winners central defensive partnerships says it all doesn't it?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
If loyalty exists in modern football then Ramos would be the perfect example.

He will never leave Madrid.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
If loyalty exists in modern football then Ramos would be the perfect example.

He will never leave Madrid.
He's hardly going to get it better than he currently has it at, if he joins any other club. Hardly a test/example of great loyalty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.