Sergio Ramos | Signs new 5 year contract

What do you think of Sergio Ramos as a potential signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
Vamos Ramos! Come on Woody let's blooooow our load together! I'm all in :drool:

Brightonian

I've not been keen on this because I expected us to get stupidly robbed for a player who, while excellent, is seriously overrated (FIFA XI regular my arse), a liability in terms of team discipline on and off the pitch, and not exactly young any more. Silly sums like £35m+, or De Gea+money.

But that seems a very reasonable price for him in today's market, would take that deal in a snap. Possibly Woody thinks the threat of us just keeping De Gea for a season (and letting him go next year for nothing) has them over a barrel.

Star signing and future of the Spanish team David De Gea right now for a not-too-steep fee and ~£30m for ageing Ramos (with Varane ready and waiting to replace him anyway)... or no De Gea and an unsettled Ramos denied a move and likely to cause all sorts of mayhem next season as a result. Arguably we do have them somewhat over a barrel. Or at least as over a barrel as everyone's-dream-club Real Madrid ever can be.

saivet

If you were solely after the money why would you limit yourself to one team that you haven't even discussed terms with.

What's to say the likes of City or PSG wouldnt give you more
City and Chelsea could make him richer. Probably.
Well, he was on about Arsenal or United.

I think we'd pay more than City and Chelsea anyway. PSG already have an expensive back line as it is anyway, so doubt even they would bother.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I am starting to really believe that for us this is more about getting at Madrid now ,yeah we need a good experienced CB but I think for that we are keeping Otamendi as an option while trying to just really put Madrid in a difficult position.
There is definitely a lot of posturing going on here, regardless of whether we get him or not. Which is good, in my opinion. We needed to ruffle our feathers when Madrid inevitably came a knockin' for De Gea, or else risk ending up looking like we're well and truly a peg below them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I can just imagine Sir Alex sat around the board table loving the mischief Big Ed is creating at Real's expense :lol:

prath92

I don't know how good his relation is with Di Maria but I find it strange that he only wants to go to United when Ozil was one of his best friends at Madrid.
He was friends with Alonso too doesn't mean he will consider Liverpool

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is huge news. If Ramos doesn't come out in the next few days to deny those rumours, I think that he's ours. Madrid fans seem pretty emotional and I suppose they will turn against him.
That said, I don't see why he would deny all that as it looks it was all planned.

Classical Mechanic

Why does he want to only come to United? All we hear about is those sort of players wanting to move to Madrid/Barca or somewhere sunny... What is Woody saying to these players!

Even if you don't rate him or like him the money is worth it just to bring Madrid down a peg or two.
@Vato

This perhaps

"I was pleased to get United. They are in the Premier League what Madrid are in Spain perhaps: the values, the history. What they have always represented, the philosophy they transmit, the ideals they inculcated their players with, are similar.

"Few games have the repercussion of this match. And I'd rather play them than a team that's not as big but comes along and surprises you. Besides, I like English football."

Enough to move there? "When you go through a bad spell all sorts of things go through your mind and there have been times when I've had offers from England and Italy but my Dad told me once: 'If you are ever going to leave anywhere, do it through the front door and with your head held high, not when things are going badly.' My dream is to keep playing here but it's true that England's attractive. Friends playing there always talk highly [about it] and it would be a new experience.

"My Dad used to watch a lot and he would say to me when I was a kid: 'Come and watch this. Look at this guy …' I wouldn't say he obliged me to watch it but pretty much. He'd say: 'Today so-and-so is playing; watch him.'" And who did he support? Ramos grins. "Manchester United." Divided loyalty, then? "Haha, no! My dad always had a soft spot for Manchester but my family are Sevilla fans – and now Real Madrid."

Shark

@NotShark
This is huge news. If Ramos doesn't come out in the next few days to deny those rumours, I think that he's ours. Madrid fans seem pretty emotional and I suppose they will turn against him.
That said, I don't see why he would deny all that as it looks it was all planned.
Considering his brother is the source, they ain't no rumours.

Tarrou

This is one situation where you can actually see a swap deal as it makes so much sense. Both teams get the chance to save face a little bit.

Woody's played a blinder here.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Woodward is the Steve Jobs of football. He probably said to Ramos that if he says something like that we add 50k to his wages. We gain prestige, avoid the bidding war, and Ramos gets his pay rise.

Ixion

Get Ramos, keep DDG for another season and watch FSW fail spectacularly next season. I'd be pretty pleased with that.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Smart work by Woody. Get the player himself to rule out other clubs. Hold Madrid to ransom with no bidding war.
Woody throwing his weight around like Don Corleone :lol:

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
@Vato

This perhaps

"I was pleased to get United. They are in the Premier League what Madrid are in Spain perhaps: the values, the history. What they have always represented, the philosophy they transmit, the ideals they inculcated their players with, are similar.

"Few games have the repercussion of this match. And I'd rather play them than a team that's not as big but comes along and surprises you. Besides, I like English football."

Enough to move there? "When you go through a bad spell all sorts of things go through your mind and there have been times when I've had offers from England and Italy but my Dad told me once: 'If you are ever going to leave anywhere, do it through the front door and with your head held high, not when things are going badly.' My dream is to keep playing here but it's true that England's attractive. Friends playing there always talk highly [about it] and it would be a new experience.

"My Dad used to watch a lot and he would say to me when I was a kid: 'Come and watch this. Look at this guy …' I wouldn't say he obliged me to watch it but pretty much. He'd say: 'Today so-and-so is playing; watch him.'" And who did he support? Ramos grins. "Manchester United." Divided loyalty, then? "Haha, no! My dad always had a soft spot for Manchester but my family are Sevilla fans – and now Real Madrid."
Yeah, that was probably a big part of his decision. If all this is true of course.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Dont seem to remember a dictator like Franco being involved with United.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
No. People will realize that if he moves to United. Good with the ball, but gets caught out in defense a lot and is rash with his tackling.
It's a big difference playing in La Liga for the best team to go to the EPL where all teams are capable of winning and will always put themselves about. I reckon he'd take a season at least to bed in.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Does anyone else think that Ramos is being really clever with his whole "it's United or no one" thing? He knows that we're in for him and he could easily start a bidding war if he wanted to, but he knows that we'll probably offer him the best wages, so started a bidding war probably wouldn't get him a better deal elsewhere anyway. Yet by saying what he's allegedly said he has set himself up as a fan favourite before even setting foot in Manchester.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
@Vato

This perhaps

Where/when is that interview from?

Question234

Does anyone else think that Ramos is being really clever with his whole "it's United or no one" thing? He knows that we're in for him and he could easily start a bidding war if he wanted to, but he knows that we'll probably offer him the best wages, so started a bidding war probably wouldn't get him a better deal elsewhere anyway. Yet by saying what he's allegedly said he has set himself up as a fan favourite before even setting foot in Manchester.
I've got trust issues and still think he'll resign tomorrow.

prath92

People will hate de gea more if this happens. Atleti fans and real fans would get on his back. Shame really. He is a nice kid

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
According to some reports, he wants everything done when he comes back from his holiday, and it seems that he accelerated everything himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.