g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sergio Ramos

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
This is an overreaction. Ramos meant to bring him down and halt his progress but i don't think he meant to injure Salah.

did he want to break his bones? maybe not. Did he know what he was doing and make salah feel him by intimidating him and inflicting him some pain? you bet your ass he did.
You should be a moron not to know that locking the arm that way was dangerous and it is not the first time. In that match he deserved at least 3 yellows and 1 straight red and not only he got none, but managed to get Mane booked with a dive:D

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Warrior? His play acting is up there with Busquets.

He's one of the best defenders of his generation but just because he gets sent off a lot and makes reckless challenges doesn't make him a 'warrior'.

AXVnee7

There's no way it was pre-meditated by Ramos. The coming together was natural between an attacker and defender contesting the ball. What I'm certain he does do though, is see an opportunity in the clash to leave a bit on Salah and he does that. No way did he mean to injure him out the game - especially via the shoulder. It's unfortunate, especially as Salah is a very likeable character.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I can never get behind the idea of Ramos being an all time great. I've never seen a "top" defender get soo caught up in his own bravado and constantly make mistakes over and over again.
But those trophies!!

For me, he's the Victor Valdes of centerback. He benefits from the Madrid system (and to be fair, Madrid need a player like him also), instead of being a great defender himself.

RedCurry

I just realized I was looking at the wrong shoulder...

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Well if Spain win the World Cup a Spanish player from Real should win the WC, but I said the same thing when Spain won the World Cup and Iniesta/Xavi didn't get it

Yup, that's really his one major weakness. He never showed the necessary levels of concentration and focus required if you defend deeper and invite more pressure. If he played a in a team that is more comfortable defending, you'd get the feeling he can't head out those crosses and keeping that offside line consistently enough the way a Gódin or Chiellini can for example.
Not sure if this is irony.
What occurs is exactly the opposite of what you said. You need to be more focused when you don't expect something to happen.
Defending when there are 50 metres between the goal and the last cb is the most difficult thing to do, you are totally exposed. And only a few players can do this.

It is quite common to see teams that defend deep and try to set a compact defensive block, because it's the easiest thing to do.
There are hundreds ofs cbs who look decent...until you see them playing in a high defensive line.

Theonas

Scout
Not sure if this is irony.
What occurs is exactly the opposite of what you said. You need to be more focused when you don't expect something to happen.
Defending when there are 50 metres between the goal and the last cb is the most difficult thing to do, you are totally exposed. And only a few players can do this.

It is quite common to see teams that defend deep and try to set a compact defensive block, because it's the easiest thing to do.
There are hundreds ofs cbs who look decent...until you see them playing in a high defensive line.
I actually agree with you there. I think it is however a different type of concentration which might be the wrong word to use here. I agree with you that so many defenders look decent when being pressed and are forced to defend crosses and attack after attack. It's amazing how the defenders get praised for warrior like performances when what actually happened is that they had the help of two low blocks, not to mention were as good as forced to be mentally switched on because the other team were playing on the front foot. What I was talking about however is consistency through a whole season. I do think that the likes of Terry, Chiellini or Gódin do indeed need a different type of concentration to maintain that consistency for 10 months. A lot more of the game is played close to where they operate and just by having the ball so nearby, they are forced to be on "defensive" mode for a much longer period.

I agree about your point that a lot of these defenders would look average in a high line though and I'd even say I can't think of a single defender in the past 20 years who could do a better job for Real than Ramos. I just am not sure that someone of his technical quality (which you need desperately to play as high as he does) can maintain the required discipline of doing the job a Gódin or a Terry does, not to mention curb his natural instinct. Looking at how football evolved in the last few years, why should he?

RedCurry

Didn't he get rolled onto the other one?
Yea he smashed it into the ground, but it looked a lot worse to me when I thought it was the other arm that got dislocated. I am sure Ramos had full intention to pull him down with him. But its a bit of a stretch to think that he knew about the amount of damage it caused.

You see players pulling each other to the ground in football games. If Ramos fell to the floor, Salah got the ball and went on to score, it's possible that people would be laughing at how easily he got "bullied" by a smaller player.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Could he win a Ballon dor if Spain win the world cup?
In all likelihood he’d have to do what Sammer did in Euro ‘96 and score some big goals or what Cannavaro did and produce an immaculate and dominant series of performances as the tournament’s best player.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
But those trophies!!

For me, he's the Victor Valdes of centerback. He benefits from the Madrid system (and to be fair, Madrid need a player like him also), instead of being a great defender himself.
Victor Valdes was an extraordinary goalkeeper. He improved a lot during his career and I feel many of his performances are extremely underrated. I still remember many decisive games where he had 2 or 3 saves to make and they were nothing short of exceptional.

Sergio Ramos can have the odd mistake in your early league game in October, but if the CL or WC or European Championship semi or final arrives (and he has played a few of these), you can bet your money on him being one of the best players of the match. And he's nothing dependant on the system, it's the other way around, the system needs commanding defenders like him or Pepe to survive.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I love how a club can unite so many weirdos across cultures and borders.

Doesn't matter which nationality, you can trust Liverpool supporters to be weird and unpleasant.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How highly would people rate Ramos defensive play above Pique out of interest? He also has an overflowing trophy cabinet, 3 CLs, world and euros etc.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
What in the actual feck? Seriously.
Brilliant. The whole of Egypt better be watching and getting their blood/piss close to boiling point. The more hated against Madrid the better. Time they got over their love affair with Real fecking Madrid.

CA_vampire

How highly would people rate Ramos defensive play above Pique out of interest? He also has an overflowing trophy cabinet, 3 CLs, world and euros etc.
Ramos is better as a defender. But even more important are his leadership qualities. He has a personality that reminds me of Roy Keane. We want a player like that for captain. Pique seems much softer.

Parry Gallister

Don't watch him enough to be a reasonable judge, but he always seems to be in the middle of a big match's key moments, at either end of the pitch.

No Europa league though, so only a 5/10 trophy cabinet. white text

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
People trying to question how good Ramos is as a defender :lol:

He's the best of his generation.
He's Vidic and Ferdinand, rolled into one and he's had more clutch moments than both, put together.

Question his character all you want but question his ability? Away and take your face for a shite.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Vidic and Rio rolled into one. Feck me. I heard it all now.

SirMattBugsby

I mean, can you blame him? This guy, in his early years at Real Madrid, faced Henry, Eto'o, Messi and the rest of Pep's Barça. He knows the world to be cruel and ruthless :lol:

He himself has had a dislocated shoulder so I'm sure he has sympathy for Salah. But like Andy Roberts, the great West Indian bowler said, you don't want to injure the opposition player; it just happens sometimes in the heat of the contest. And Ramos is definitely one of the most competitive out there.

Moral of the story? If you're an opposition MVP, stay away from Ramos. Either that or be as street-smart as him. Remember Müller vs Pepe? That's how you deal with these guys.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Victor Valdes was an extraordinary goalkeeper. He improved a lot during his career and I feel many of his performances are extremely underrated. I still remember many decisive games where he had 2 or 3 saves to make and they were nothing short of exceptional.

Sergio Ramos can have the odd mistake in your early league game in October, but if the CL or WC or European Championship semi or final arrives (and he has played a few of these), you can bet your money on him being one of the best players of the match. And he's nothing dependant on the system, it's the other way around, the system needs commanding defenders like him or Pepe to survive.
You did watch the last CL Final? His mistakes were basic stuff. Defending regular freekick against Lovren. And regular shot by Mane that hit the post, where he’s just standing like idiot in front of Mane allowing him all the time in the world to take a shot.

Like i said, if he played in a team like United, these mistakes are costly enough. But he plays for Madrid who can score goals for fun, thus rendering his mistakes less punished.

And you must be the few people who think Valdes was an extraordinary gk.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Vidic and Rio rolled into one. Feck me. I heard it all now.
And quite possibly better than both. He's equally as tough and combative as Vidic, will literally throw himself infront of anything and a tenacious and quality tackler. He also is probably the best ball playing center half in the game, right now. He can read the game just as well as either of those two and, like I said has more important goals then both put together.

Yes, you have heard it all and you heard it right.

SirMattBugsby

And quite possibly better than both. He's equally as tough and combative as Vidic, will literally throw himself infront of anything and a tenacious and quality tackler. He also is probably the best ball playing center half in the game, right now. He can read the game just as well as either of those two and, like I said has more important goals then both put together.

Yes, you have heard it all and you heard it right.
He can't match Vidic in last-ditch defending. Ramos is more of a front-foot defender, he sniffs danger and kills potential attacks. Vidic did that stuff but then also tracked back. The only guy comparable to Vidic is Puyol.

I'd agree that Ramos has some traits of Vidic and some of Rio but that doesn't he's both rolled into one. He's clearly lacking in attributes, especially mental ones like concentration, which the two excelled in.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
You did watch the last CL Final? His mistakes were basic stuff. Defending regular freekick against Lovren. And regular shot by Mane that hit the post, where he’s just standing like idiot in front of Mane allowing him all the time in the world to take a shot.

Like i said, if he played in a team like United, these mistakes are costly enough. But he plays for Madrid who can score goals for fun, thus rendering his mistakes less punished.

And you must be the few people who think Valdes was an extraordinary gk.
Not true. Ramos is covering the shot, not "standing there like an idiot". Not all the defending consists of chasing a player, especially if the player is by far the quickest on the pitch. If that's considered a basic mistake then we can destroy pretty much every defender in the world from now on.