Beckenbauer: 3 UCLs, 1 WCs, 1 EUROS.
Cannavaro: 1 UCLs, 1 WCs, 0 EUROS.
Cafú: 1 UCLs, 2 WCs, 2 CA.
Roberto Carlos: 3 UCLs, 1 WCs, 2 CA.
Puyol: 3 UCLs, 1WCs, 1 EUROS.
Koeman: 2UCLs, 0 WCs, 1 EUROS.
Thuram: 1UCLs, 1 WCs, 1 EUROS.

Sergio Ramos: 4UCLs, 1WCs, 2 EUROS.

This guy at 32 and with some years more playing in top level, is already the most winner defense in history.

On top of that, he has been crucial in all the trophies he has won, most of them as captain and leader of his team.

You can like him or not, but the guy is a serial winner and in some years that he retires, he will be remembered as the best defender in the history of the game.
:lol:

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
The UEFA cup was the equivalent of what today is Europa League.
The UEFA Cup was contended by the 2nd best teams in Europe and was arguably as strong as the European Cup. If you didn't win your league you simply couldn't compete in the European Cup/Champions League unless you got a bye from winning it the previous season.

Under those conditions, Real Madrid would only have 2/4 of their last Champions Leagues but even that is too simplistic which is why I find it strange to compare anything across eras directly.

Farfetched

Real Madrid manager gone; now the Spanish PM and government are gone, is there no end to the damage caused by Ramos dastardly actions?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Those long diagonal passes are a joy to watch. What a player.

Kazi

This guy is their captain, manager, motivator, regista, and general representative

What a man

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Overrated defender but those long passes are pretty damn sweet.

izec

Pretty good. Nacho, De Gea and Pique were at fault for the goals. That passing from the back though

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Slightly weaker at defending than some other top class CBs but world class at everything else. The best CB playing atm bar none.
Slightly is an understatement.

And he is not world class at everything else.

Bit knee jerk? I want to see someone post this on the De Gea thread.
Look at my post history in this thread.

marktan

World class at passing, bringing the ball out for his position, world class at heading, world class at knowing every dirty trick in the book, and above all leading his team to victories.

Slightly is correct. Very good positionally and one one defensively. He's not as good at pure defending as say Vidic or Puyol, but they didn't have his ball playing skills. He's one of those you accept isn't a pure defender and pair him up with a grittier CB like Pepe or Varane.

Pacificgi

He is a great player. People just love to revisit topics when instant pictures suit their agendas.
Yep you dont be the mainstay of a defence for a team thats won 3 champions leagues on the trot if youre useless. Hes probably a cnut but hes a proper leader, he may not be the best defender but his presence and his leadership must give others confidence alongside him.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Look at those tags, too. You're moaner and a City supporter, but your tagline says Arsenal supported and you're on a United forum. Can't really trust you.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I thought it was? Then there was the cup winners cup which was different all together. UEFA Cup became the Europa.
In name only. Much like the European cup and the Champions League today, they were different competitions due to the qualification criteria

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yep you dont be the mainstay of a defence for a team thats won 3 champions leagues on the trot if youre useless. Hes probably a cnut but hes a proper leader, he may not be the best defender but his presence and his leadership must give others confidence alongside him.
That's a really shit argument. Lesser players have won more. And Real have not won titles recently because of their defending.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
In name only. Much like the European cup and the Champions League today, they were different competitions due to the qualification criteria
Obviously they’re different competitions but people still class them as the same thing, the same calibre. Either officially or unofficially they’re generally the evolved versions. That’s why Madrid have officially won their 13th European cup.

SharpshooterTom

Do some guys really think he's the undisputed GOAT defender??

Real Madrid have conceded something 22 out of 25 games in the calender 2018, i.e. just 3 clean sheets.

When people call Messi GOAT, I think there's some merit to it (although there's an argument against it IMO), when people say Ramos is the GOAT CB to me that just SCREAMS recency bias.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
His passing is amazing and he is world class player overall while his actual defending is not his main strength. It is a bit weird really, but if you stripped all other attributes he would still be a good defender. I didn't rate his defending for many years but he has become such a complete player it's insane. One of the best

GalacticoWave

Supports
Real Madrid
Ramos is a legend on his own and will go down as maybe the best CB ever.