Sergio Ramos

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I hate Ramos for his behaviour but i can't believe how many comment i see here saying he isn't a great defender and that Piqué or even Jones are better. That's just ridiculous. Especially since Piqué has been VERY inconsistent for the past 2-3 years (even if he's very good for a couple of years). That's ridiculous.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You just know that when his decline becomes obvious (if it hasn’t already), there will be a rabid army at the ready to shout about how it’s proof he’s always been a fraud.

Absolute shit house by the way and always has been.
It's funny thing with Ramos, he actually was a fraud for a good part of his career, but I think he turned it around in the past 5 or 6 years in which he proved himself to be great modern defender and a player. He's won so much it's difficult to put it past him, and he was instrumental part in Real Madrid's recent success, but before that he was actually also one of the reasons they struggled to become top top team during their hopeless attempts of keeping up with top teams around turn of the decade. I think he is an excellent example how loser can become a true winner in the space of few seasons, with probably bit of luck and big amount of work.

I hate the guy, but I actually give him lot of respect.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Are people seriously trying to say he’s not very good? He’s a modern day legend, key in a hugely successful madrid and Spain side but not very good?

Kamprad

It's funny thing with Ramos, he actually was a fraud for a good part of his career, but I think he turned it around in the past 5 or 6 years in which he proved himself to be great modern defender and a player. He's won so much it's difficult to put it past him, and he was instrumental part in Real Madrid's recent success, but before that he was actually also one of the reasons they struggled to become top top team during their hopeless attempts of keeping up with top teams around turn of the decade. I think he is an excellent example how loser can become a true winner in the space of few seasons, with probably bit of luck and big amount of work.

I hate the guy, but I actually give him lot of respect.
He played in one of the best and biggest teams in the world but was a fraud and then proved he really was a good defender? Lets pretend what you’re saying is not completely bullshite. If he was a fraud he can’t become a great modern defender. Maybe you could argue that he always had potential but wasn’t close of reaching it until resent years but thats also wrong.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When was that period when he was banging headers for what felt like week in week out?

el3mel

I hate Ramos for his behaviour but i can't believe how many comment i see here saying he isn't a great defender and that Piqué or even Jones are better. That's just ridiculous. Especially since Piqué has been VERY inconsistent for the past 2-3 years (even if he's very good for a couple of years). That's ridiculous.
Pique was a great defender who became a clown few years ago.

Ramos hasn't been a great defender. His reputation came from other things. He's definitely aggressive, and has a good heading ability, but in terms of positioning and defending etc, he's good, nothing special if you follow him. He's world class thanks to other abilities.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So once again Ramos is caught out of position and ends up chasing his man only to watch him score the only goal of the game as his team loses 1-0

gibers

So once again Ramos is caught out of position and ends up chasing his man only to watch him score the only goal of the game as his team loses 1-0
GOAT defender they say...

As I said before, if he wasn't spanish Madrid would have bushed him years ago. When he gets called one of the 'best' defenders of all time it's laughable.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
GOAT defender they say...

As I said before, if he wasn't spanish Madrid would have bushed him years ago. When he gets called one of the 'best' defenders of all time it's laughable.
The most over rated defender to ever play the game. Funny thing is, I actually think he is a very good footballer. Defense just doesn't seem to be his position. He should be a midfielder. Reminds me very much of David Luiz in that he is a very good footballer, but as a central defender he gets caught out of position way too much to be considered world class...

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The most over rated defender to ever play the game. Funny thing is, I actually think he is a very good footballer. Defense just doesn't seem to be his position. He should be a midfielder. Reminds me very much of David Luiz in that he is a very good footballer, but as a central defender he gets caught out of position way too much to be considered world class...
He has played as a defender at Real Madrid since 2005 and has been named in the UEFA team of the season the last 7 years.

It's one thing to say he's not one of the best defenders in the history of the game, a very different one to say he's not world class.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Anyone that thinks a player that wins all of those medals cannot be truly world class, not just for his generation, but for the whole of football history... take a look at yourself.

The odd title won by a lucky player is fair enough.

But Ramos is not playing at the best club on the planet because he’s getting special credit for being Spanish. He’s been the best centre back in world football across the last 10 year period.

wr8_utd

:'(
Barcelona will really miss him once he retires. Just always seems to make mistakes in these games.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Anyone that thinks a player that wins all of those medals cannot be truly world class, not just for his generation, but for the whole of football history... take a look at yourself.

But Ramos is not playing at the best club on the planet because he’s getting special credit for being Spanish. He’s been the best centre back in world football across the last 10 year period.
Statements like this is what people are arguing against.

gibers

Ah yes... the good old he won x amount of TEAM medals so he msut be good...

I guess Pedro Rodriguez is World Class as well because of all the medals he won at Barcelona...

All people need to do is watch Ramos every week. He makes errors comically almost every single game. Has the record for most red cards in La Liga history. Gets demolished in one vs ones because of his suspect positioning and gets caught out regularly.

No World Class 'defender' makes that many errors.

Imagine Ramos at Mou's Inter where they had to make very little errors to win a treble. Had Ramos played for that side they wouldn't have won it.

He is a great 'football' player. He is hailed for his goals in big games not his defending. Godin, Chiellini, van Dijk, Laporte, Pique, Umtiti, Kompany, Koulibaliy etc

I could go on but as a defender, positioning, minimising errors and not being reckless, Ramos is most certainly NOT WC. He just isn't.

We have a defender in the EPL that is like Ramos in David Luiz and noone calls him one of the best Cbs in the world because of the basic defensive errors he makes regularly...

wr8_utd

I guess Pedro Rodriguez is World Class as well because of all the medals he won at Barcelona.

All people need to do is watch Ramos every week. He makes errors comically every single game. Has the record for most red cards in La Liga hisotry. Gets demolished in one vs ones and gets caught out regularly.

Imagine Ramos at Mou's Inter where they had to make very little errors to win a treble. Had Ramos played for that side they wouldn't have won it.

He is a great 'football' player. He is hailed for his goals in big games not his defending. Godin, Chiellini, van Dijk, Laporte, Pique, Umtiti, Kompany, Koulibaliy etc

I could go on but as a defender, positioning, minimising errors and not being reckless, Ramos is most certainly NOT WC. He just isn't.

We have a defender in the EPL that is like Ramos in David Luiz and noone calls him one of the best Cbs in the world because of the basic defensive errors he makes regularly...
Agree with everything you've said. I think Ramos is a world class player with the entire package he brings to the table but I just can never hold him in the league of Rio, Vidic, Terry, Carvalho, Pique (at his best), Chiellini, Bonucci etc when it comes to just actual pure defending. He's just got way too many mistakes in him.

gibers

Agree with everything you've said. I think Ramos is a world class player with the entire package he brings to the table but I just can never hold him in the league of Rio, Vidic, Terry, Carvalho, Pique (at his best), Chiellini, Bonucci etc when it comes to just actual pure defending. He's just got way too many mistakes in him.
I mean the proof is there week in week out. Imagine if van Dijk made half the errors he made Liverpool fams would be calling for his sale. van Dijk is on a different level.

When Pepe was at Madrid he was the better defender.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And Pique, Chiellini and Bonucci are not the goal threats Ramos is but, they are probably better when it comes to passing.

wr8_utd

And Pique, Chiellini and Bonucci are not the goal threats Ramos is but, they are probably better when it comes to passing.
I think Ramos is pretty good at bringing the ball out of defense as well but maybe not as good as Pique on the ball.
I mean the proof is there week in week out. Imagine if van Dijk made half the errors he made Liverpool fams would be calling for his sale. van Dijk is on a different level.

When Pepe was at Madrid he was the better defender.
I think Ramos' goal scoring and his leadership qualities kind of paper over the obvious cracks he has in his defensive abilities. I don't find him as poor as Luiz in a defensive but yeah he has just way too many mistakes in him to be ever considered as good a defender as the true greats. Maybe it's the style Madrid play and the protection that they don't offer their defense but he just gets caught out way too often.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I guess Pedro Rodriguez is World Class as well because of all the medals he won at Barcelona...

All people need to do is watch Ramos every week. He makes errors comically almost every single game. Has the record for most red cards in La Liga history. Gets demolished in one vs ones because of his suspect positioning and gets caught out regularly.

So you think one of the most decorated centre backs in history has got lucky to always have 10 great players around him?

You know how nuts that is?

gibers

So you think one of the most decorated centre backs in history has got lucky to always have 10 great players around him?

You know how nuts that is?
So is Pedro Rodriguez a world class player? He has a lot of medals and was instrumental in what many call the best side of all time...

Using the X player is Great because of x amount o medals as a barometer is weak.

As I said, when you actually watch Ramos, he is almost certain to make a defensive error per game that can cost his team a goal. How can you see he is world class? Makes no sense.

wr8_utd

So is Pedro Rodriguez a world class player? He has a lot of medals and was instrumental in what many call the best side of all time...

Using the X player is Great because of x amount o medals as a barometer is weak.

As I said, when you actually watch Ramos, he is almost certain to make a defensive error per game that can cost his team a goal. How can you see he is world class? Makes no sense.
I think Ramos just fits the current generation of "defenders" very well. In an era where across leagues, everyone seems to have forgotten the art of defending, he just stands out as one of the better ones.

Schneckerl

How was Pedro instrumental? He is one of the first you would replace from the starting XI.

gibers

I think Ramos is pretty good at bringing the ball out of defense as well but maybe not as good as Pique on the ball.

I think Ramos' goal scoring and his leadership qualities kind of paper over the obvious cracks he has in his defensive abilities. I don't find him as poor as Luiz in a defensive but yeah he has just way too many mistakes in him to be ever considered as good a defender as the true greats. Maybe it's the style Madrid play and the protection that they don't offer their defense but he just gets caught out way too often.

Another day in the defending life of Ramos.

There was another incident this season where under no pressure he missed a simple header close to the half way line and Madrid either conceded a goal or a penalty. It's never ending...

Last edited:

gibers

I think Ramos just fits the current generation of "defenders" very well. In an era where across leagues, everyone seems to have forgotten the art of defending, he just stands out as one of the better ones.
Godin, Chiellini, hell even Pepe, Kompany, van Dijk now, Pique, Umtiti, Koulibaly, Laporte and I can name more. Just off the top of my head they are better defenders than Ramos and make less errors.

gibers

How was Pedro instrumental? He is one of the first you would replace from the starting XI.
Benched both Henry and Zlatan. Was one of the main reasons Messi as a false 9 worked because of his constant pressing and selflessness in creating space for him. He did a thankless task.

Schneckerl

Benched both Henry and Zlatan. Was one of the main reasons Messi as a false 9 worked because of his constant pressing and selflessness in creating space for him. He did a thankless task.
So what? If Pedro's supposed to be instrumental, everybody on that team was.

If he was so important why wasn't he even a sure starter the following seasons?

gibers

So what? If Pedro's supposed to be instrumental, everybody on that team was.

If he was so important why wasn't he even a sure starter the following seasons?
He was in 09/10 and in their best season 10/11 he was a starter. Under Pep. He was dropped because Pep bought Sanchez who later was dropped and later was stupidly benched by Tata to accomodate Neymar on the RW (Strange decision) and played Iniesta on the lw to accommodate cesc.

My point was that saying X player won x amount of medals doesn't mae said player 'World class'.

A-man

If you watched the games you’d have seen that Ramos contributes to those medals while Pedro was mostly a bench warmer. Ramos has been amazing in many top level football matches when everything is at stake.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If you watched the games you’d have seen that Ramos contributes to those medals while Pedro was mostly a bench warmer. Ramos has been amazing in many top level football matches when everything is at stake.
Pedro was a key player for Barca in 10-11.

gibers

Except he was starting in Barcas 09/10 after benching Henry and Zlaten. He was a main starter in 10/11 for the team that is considered the best ever, the same season he opened the scoring against us in the 2011 CL final...

I watch Madrid regularly and Ramos has a howler in him every week. Madrid win medals because of their attacking not because of their defending. In fat Ramos is probably one of the main culprits as to why Madrid rarely win the league with his weekly howlers but I guess the defensive issues he has are forgotten when he scores headers in finals. That makes him a WC defender...

UnrelatedPsuedo

On what sensible barometer are the following linked?

- The most decorates centre back in the last 10 years
And
- The most replaceable player in the best ever club side

It’s such a false equivalence. Pedro is nothing to do with this thread. Stop talking about him. It’s pointless.

gibers

On what sensible barometer are the following linked?

- The most decorates centre back in the last 10 years
And
- The most replaceable player in the best ever club side

It’s such a false equivalence. Pedro is nothing to do with this thread. Stop talking about him. It’s pointless.
Ramos is not a 'world class' defender. You bringing up medals he won doesn't all of a sudden make him an elite defender. van Dijk might not win anything this season but the level he is at at this moment is higher than anything Ramos has played in his career.

A-man

Except he was starting in Barcas 09/10 after benching Henry and Zlaten. He was a main starter in 10/11 for the team that is considered the best ever, the same season he opened the scoring against us in the 2011 CL final...

I watch Madrid regularly and Ramos has a howler in him every week. Madrid win medals because of their attacking not because of their defending. In fat Ramos is probably one of the main culprits as to why Madrid rarely win the league with his weekly howlers but I guess the defensive issues he has are forgotten when he scores headers in finals. That makes him a WC defender...
I too watch and have watched Madrid’s matches. The whole team have a habit of making silly mistakes in ordinary matches but take it to another level in important matches. And for me Ramos is really the big matches man. He is almost always top class in those matches. It’s ridiculous to not acknowledge that he has a big part in Real Madrid’s successful years.

Edit: and yes I know Pedro has played several matches and even scored around 50 goals over his 8 years for Barca.