g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Serie A 90's draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Why should anyone exclude 1970 WC and why should his best year be outside his peak and be 1974?
I don't fecking care if he faded away in 1974, in a draft where the players are treated at their peak, saying 1974 was his level is a lame attempt at misleading and covering the fact that he faced a easy target and route to goal.
I never said his peak was 1974, what I said was his peak form (best three seasons) was more in line with his 1974 WC showing than his 1970 one (a sensational blip/tournament wonder). All in the context of explaining that he was overrated when people assume his three year peak at that blip level, which he is.

Aye mate. Your integrity, non-hypocrisy and unbiased opinion seems to be well documented here. My apologies.
The main reason why I don't play drafts any more is I noticed there was no point arguing a point against "you are biased because he is your player". Now it seems it's just a case of "you are biased and a hypocrite because I disagree with you". Guess I'll jog on as soon as this is done. Complete waste of time.

Ah, this again. Fecking Rui Costa of all players. The genius who can't make it in most all time drafts suddenly becomes more impactful than close to peak Zidane just because he plays a couple more seasons :lol:
It just happens to be a 90s Serie A draft, judged on Italian league and cup performances.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ah, this again. Fecking Rui Costa of all players. The genius who can't make it in most all time drafts suddenly becomes more impactful than close to peak Zidane just because he plays a couple more seasons :lol:
To be fair a lot of Zidane's legacy comes from what he did internationally with the double in the final against Brazil, his domination of Euro 2000, the renaissance in 2006 and his various exploits in the Champions League. Whereas Rui Costa's life work up until the age of 28 was founded upon carving up defences in Serie A through the 1990s, and it was only really latterly that his reputation owed anything to outside the domestic game, through Euro 2000 and 2004 and his Champions League performances with Milan. Inevitably I'd go Zidane first, but in a draft based specifically on that 1990s Serie A theme, it's not ridiculous to say there's not a great deal between them, and it's more about longevity v peak in terms of your preference.

Last edited:

idmanager

To be fair a lot of Zidane's legacy comes from what he did internationally with the double in the final against Brazil, his domination of Euro 2000, the renaissance in 2006 and his various exploits in the Champions League. Whereas Rui Costa's life work up until the age of 28 was founded upon carving up defences in Serie A through the 1990s, and it was only really latterly that his reputation owed anything to outside the domestic game, through Euro 2000 and 2004 and his Champions League performances with Milan. Inevitably I'd go Zidane first, but in a draft based specifically on that 1990s Serie A theme, it's not ridiculous to say a great deal between them, and it's more about longevity v peak in terms of your preference.
Of course I agree with that. But that doesn't discount him to being useless for Juve or not better than Rui Costa impact wise.

The main reason why I don't play drafts any more is I noticed there was no point arguing a point against "you are biased because he is your player". Now it seems it's just a case of "you are biased and a hypocrite because I disagree with you". Guess I'll jog on as soon as this is done. Complete waste of time.
I do quite a few times enjoy reading your points and if it makes matters easier, I'd rather not refute your points or avoid discussion. No need to start the fleeing posts as this is the Sheep draft all over again. Cheers.
Non sarcastically, my apologies. Lets move on with the drafting.

antohan

Of course I agree with that. But that doesn't discount him to being useless for Juve or not better than Rui Costa impact wise.
I didn't say he was useless. In fact, @harms posted a link to a game by game account of Zidane 1996-98 which documents the frustratingly mercurial (inconsistent and hot head) player he was - and Rui Costa wasn't.

Straight off the bat I highlighted it missed 1998-2000 which was what could be considered peak in this context.

The discussion was on the relative weight of longevity and how to best use them (both I accept will receive different views). I never rubbished Zidane like you two carry on about.

[quoteI do quite a few times enjoy reading your points and if it makes matters easier, I'd rather not refute your points or avoid discussion. No need to start the fleeing posts as this is the Sheep draft all over again. Cheers.
Non sarcastically, my apologies. Lets move on with the drafting.[/QUOTE]

I'm not rage quitting, no worries, no way I'm leaving my players in limbo or missing the chance to reminisce on such a great decade of football.

I will just ask for a ban again once the draft is done. I waste far too much time talking with single-minded brickwalls.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It's just easy to accept people have different opinions on a player, rather than trying to keep proving your own point to the point of frustration. This argument ranks at par with Messi vs CR which I'd avoid totally.

I think both of you have posted enough justification on your stances. Just agree to disagree. Let voters decide.

antohan

It's just easy to accept people have different opinions on a player, rather than trying to keep proving your own point to the point of frustration. This argument ranks at par with Messi vs CR which I'd avoid totally.

I think both of you have posted enough justification on your stances. Just agree to disagree. Let voters decide.
I did ages ago, just reared its head again because @idmanager didn't like my comments on Recoba being a great impact player so instead of addressing the point he set out to discredit the poster.

idmanager

I did ages ago, just reared its head again because @idmanager didn't like my comments on Recoba being a great impact player so instead of addressing the point he set out to discredit the poster.
Now he is gone and nobody will be double guessing who I'm talking about @2mufc0
I rate Recoba very highly as an impact player, but not as a starter. If he got 90mins he played ~20mins. If he got 30mins he still only bothered play for ~20mins.
You forgot to mention 'but lets leave that discussion to the match threads'.
Sure, lets ignore what I originally posted.
Pretty non hypocritical of you discussing players when you wish to, but shush people when they do since its not a match thread. Not just this instance.

Got nothing to do with Recoba. I am well aware of his strengths and short comings.
No point in explaining to a broken record.

antohan

Sure, lets ignore what I originally posted.
Pretty non hypocritical of you discussing players when you wish to, but shush people when they do since its not a match thread. Not just this instance.

Got nothing to do with Recoba. I am well aware of his strengths and short comings.
No point in explaining to a broken record.
You conveniently missed my reply and how you turned it into a personal attack:

It is relevant to other picks I'm considering.
No worries mate. Cheers.
Stopped taking your posts seriously anyways after 1974 being Jairzinho's level and Rui Costa ahead of Zidane in whatever context :lol:
That's how it started.

I had wanted to ask about impact players for a few rounds but was wary of doing it as I have previous commenting on Recoba being better used late in a game so didn't want to mess with anyone's plans.

idmanager

That's how it started.

I had wanted to ask about impact players for a few rounds but was wary of doing it as I have previous commenting on Recoba being better used late in a game so didn't want to mess with anyone's plans.
I just said I stopped taking you seriously after that for good measure. I didn't reopen the discussion on anyone.

And sure, Recoba and discussion regarding his impact was the only way to know whether subs can be used. Fecks sake, I am done playing clown fiesta. Peace out :wenger:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why can't you guys ever chill and stop turning drafts into a torturous experience full of bitching and snidey comments. No one needs to ban themselves etc just chill da feck out.

antohan

I just said I stopped taking you seriously after that for good measure. I didn't reopen the discussion on anyone.

And sure, Recoba and discussion regarding his impact was the only way to know whether subs can be used. Fecks sake, I am done playing clown fiesta. Peace out :wenger:
The point wasn't just subs but how not factoring them in limited the use of impact players.

I actually had the courtesy not to ask before because I thought it hinted too heavily at what was then an unpicked player which, once picked, could clearly illustrate the point. It just happened to be you picking him, unfortunately.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

• EAP - 1. M. van Basten 2. R. Donadoni 3. M. Tassotti 4. D. Stankovic 5. G. Pessotto 6. T. Brolin 7. M. Ambrosini

• Onenil - 1. R. Baggio 2. A. Costacurta 3. D. Baggio 4. L. Minotti 5. Careca 6. J. Chamot 7. R. Mussi
  • harms 1. Ronaldo 2. C. Ferrara 3. P. Montero 4. Y. Djorkaeff 5. C. Seedorf 6. A. Carboni 7. D. Fuser
  • Moby/Pat Mustard 1. G. Batistuta 2. F. Cannavaro 3. R. Mancini 4. M. Almeyda 5. E. Chiesa 6. Júlio César 7. D. Platt
  • MJJ/Sjor 1. A. Del Piero 2. J. Veron 3. Aldair 4. A. Conte 5. S. Katanec 6. L. Di Biagio 7. T. Helveg 8. F. Toldo
  • 2mufc0/Invictus 1. Z. Zidane 2. P. Vierchowod 3. Z. Boban 4. O. Bierhoff 5. J. Angloma 6. R. Jarni 7. F. Ravanelli 8. I. Tudor
  • Lord Sinister 1. P. Maldini 2. G. Signori 3. A. Winter 4. V. Montella 5. M. Torricelli 6. Leonardo 7. M. Carrera 8. R. Di Matteo
  • Gio/Theon 1. F. Baresi 2. G. Weah 3. D. Deschamps 4. P. Sousa 5. R. Sosa 6. G. Giannini 7. L. De Agostini 8. W. Zenga
  • Enigma/The Red Viper 1. L. Matthäus 2. G. Bergomi 3. G. Vialli 4. R. Ferri 5. Dunga 6. Branco 7. A. Balbo 8. A. Lombardo
  • idmanager 1. F. Rijkaard 2. E. Davids 3. H. Crespo 4. A. Di Livio 5. R. Ayala 6. M. Salas 7. G. Favalli 8. A. Recoba
  • antohan 1. M. Rui Costa 2. J. Kohler 3. A. Benarrivo 4. S. Mihajlovic 5. R. Sensini 6. C. Caniggia 7. Alemão 8. A. Peruzzi
  • prath92/Crappy 1. P. Nedved 2. C. Vieri 3. D. Albertini 4. D. Savicevic 5. M. Iuliano 6. P. Ince 7. A. Fortunato 8. P. Negro
  • Tuppet 1. R. Gullit 2. A. Brehme 3. L. Blanc 4. T. Hassler 5. R. Voller 6. N. Berti 7. D. Petrescu 8. E. Scifo
  • Cal? 1. M. Desailly 2. F. Totti 3. J. Klinsmann 4. C. Panucci 5. G Zambrotta 6. A Pirlo 7. G Lentini 8. G. Gattuso
  • Oaencha 1. A. Nesta 2. J. Zanetti 3. G. Zola 4. F. Inzaghi 5. V. Candela 6. A. Tacchinardi 7. G. Pagliuca 8. H. Nakata
  • Raees 1. Cafu 2. L. Thuram 3. D. Simeone 4. V. Jugovic 5. F. Couto 6. A. Möller 7. G. Buffon 8. E. Francescoli
@Moby @Pat_Mustard

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

• EAP - 1. M. van Basten 2. R. Donadoni 3. M. Tassotti 4. D. Stankovic 5. G. Pessotto 6. T. Brolin 7. M. Ambrosini

• Onenil - 1. R. Baggio 2. A. Costacurta 3. D. Baggio 4. L. Minotti 5. Careca 6. J. Chamot 7. R. Mussi

• harms 1. Ronaldo 2. C. Ferrara 3. P. Montero 4. Y. Djorkaeff 5. C. Seedorf 6. A. Carboni 7. D. Fuser

• Moby/Pat Mustard 1. G. Batistuta 2. F. Cannavaro 3. R. Mancini 4. M. Almeyda 5. E. Chiesa 6. Júlio César 7. D. Platt 8. L. Marchegiani

• MJJ/Sjor 1. A. Del Piero 2. J. Veron 3. Aldair 4. A. Conte 5. S. Katanec 6. L. Di Biagio 7. T. Helveg 8. F. Toldo

• 2mufc0/Invictus 1. Z. Zidane 2. P. Vierchowod 3. Z. Boban 4. O. Bierhoff 5. J. Angloma 6. R. Jarni 7. F. Ravanelli 8. I. Tudor

• Lord Sinister 1. P. Maldini 2. G. Signori 3. A. Winter 4. V. Montella 5. M. Torricelli 6. Leonardo 7. M. Carrera 8. R. Di Matteo

• Gio/Theon 1. F. Baresi 2. G. Weah 3. D. Deschamps 4. P. Sousa 5. R. Sosa 6. G. Giannini 7. L. De Agostini 8. W. Zenga

• Enigma/The Red Viper 1. L. Matthäus 2. G. Bergomi 3. G. Vialli 4. R. Ferri 5. Dunga 6. Branco 7. A. Balbo 8. A. Lombardo

• idmanager 1. F. Rijkaard 2. E. Davids 3. H. Crespo 4. A. Di Livio 5. R. Ayala 6. M. Salas 7. G. Favalli 8. A. Recoba

• antohan 1. M. Rui Costa 2. J. Kohler 3. A. Benarrivo 4. S. Mihajlovic 5. R. Sensini 6. C. Caniggia 7. Alemão 8. A. Peruzzi

• prath92/Crappy 1. P. Nedved 2. C. Vieri 3. D. Albertini 4. D. Savicevic 5. M. Iuliano 6. P. Ince 7. A. Fortunato 8. P. Negro

• Tuppet 1. R. Gullit 2. A. Brehme 3. L. Blanc 4. T. Hassler 5. R. Voller 6. N. Berti 7. D. Petrescu 8. E. Scifo

• Cal? 1. M. Desailly 2. F. Totti 3. J. Klinsmann 4. C. Panucci 5. G Zambrotta 6. A Pirlo 7. G Lentini 8. G. Gattuso

• Oaencha 1. A. Nesta 2. J. Zanetti 3. G. Zola 4. F. Inzaghi 5. V. Candela 6. A. Tacchinardi 7. G. Pagliuca 8. H. Nakata

• Raees 1. Cafu 2. L. Thuram 3. D. Simeone 4. V. Jugovic 5. F. Couto 6. A. Möller 7. G. Buffon 8. E. Francescoli

@harms

antohan

Well, if you were going for a keeper that was really a no-brainer IMO. Thought you were looking at fullbacks.

Pat_Mustard

Well, if you were going for a keeper that was really a no-brainer IMO. Thought you were looking at fullbacks.
We're at that stage where every remaining position seems equally pressing and difficult to fill, but we thought we may as well get on the GK wagon before the quality starts to dwindle. There's still a few solid options left, but feck knows what will be left by Pick 10, and I hate having one of the weaker keepers. Also, Marchegiani's career at the top level basically spans the entire fecking decade, so he'll help us to relentlessly take the 'spirit of the draft' moral highground if Edgar starts banging on about judging players by two game peaks or whatever again :D

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I actually had him on the list with picture and everything but changed my mind last second.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!

• Moby/Pat Mustard 1. G. Batistuta 2. F. Cannavaro 3. R. Mancini 4. M. Almeyda 5. E. Chiesa 6. Júlio César 7. D. Platt 8. L. Marchegiani

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

• harms 1. Ronaldo 2. C. Ferrara 3. P. Montero 4. Y. Djorkaeff 5. C. Seedorf 6. A. Carboni 7. D. Fuser 8. W. Jonk

@oneniltothearsenal

antohan

We're at that stage where every remaining position seems equally pressing and difficult to fill, but we thought we may as well get on the GK wagon before the quality starts to dwindle. There's still a few solid options left, but feck knows what will be left by Pick 10, and I hate having one of the weaker keepers. Also, Marchegiani's career at the top level basically spans the entire fecking decade, so he'll help us to relentlessly take the 'spirit of the draft' moral highground if Edgar starts banging on about judging players by two game peaks or whatever again :D
Right call IMO. It's the only position where you could still get final ready players regardless of the setup. Any other player you pick now would likely end up needing an upgrade and you wouldn't want to add goalie to the list.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Same here. Had identified a top tier of 5 or so keepers and patiently waited for the trigger to go on that one, and then hope we're well enough placed in the snake to secure one of the top boys (which we should be really being bang in the middle).

Pat_Mustard

I actually had him on the list with picture and everything but changed my mind last second.
Honestly, I had a slight preference for Toldo myself but Moby preferred Marchegiani so it worked it nicely all around.

Same here. Had identified a top tier of 5 or so keepers and patiently waited for the trigger to go on that one, and then hope we're well enough placed in the snake to secure one of the top boys (which we should be really being bang in the middle).
I was really hoping the rush wouldn't start when the snake was going towards the bottom end but we just about got on the wagon in time. There's still one or two very good keepers available, but beyond that I'm not sure if there's many that you'd want to be fielding in the deeper stages of the draft.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Going to be a little while. Run on keepers making me re evaluate

Pat_Mustard

Moral high ground ain't winning nobody titles! Player x was world class between 45 and 47 minutes in Game 7 of 1992 season is a compelling argument! :lol:

I think I've stuck true to the spirit of this draft till now. Let's see how this goes...
:lol: Sadly it's not, but I'd like to be able to storm off in a fit of righteous indignation if we get beat :D. I'll refrain from commenting positively on your lads' 1990s credentials, as I'll only have to backtrack if we end up playing each other ;)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Kept going back and forth with three different strategies but couldn't resist this lad of pace, power and trickery.
'The scourge of bus drivers and friend of adult movie actresses'
He once thought Newcastle was a beach paradise with yachts in the sun. The one and only Tino Asprilla!

• Onenil - 1. R. Baggio 2. A. Costacurta 3. D. Baggio 4. L. Minotti 5. Careca 6. J. Chamot 7. R. Mussi 8. F. Asprilla
  • harms 1. Ronaldo 2. C. Ferrara 3. P. Montero 4. Y. Djorkaeff 5. C. Seedorf 6. A. Carboni 7. D. Fuser 8. W. Jonk

antohan

Reasonable, but it was really strange that Walter feckin' Zenga lasted all the way up to you.

I was in two minds about starting the GK picks last round. I was pretty sure someone at the bottom would trigger it so no self-preservation, more a case of giving those at the bottom first dibs on the top ones and having those with the attacking superstars sporting the crap keepers.

Decided against it though as it's pretty obvious which teams have shaped up better and I'd rather see this play out as a nice homage rather than a crapshoot on this or that weakness. No need to muddy the waters and, as it turns out, few at the bottom helped themselves that way anyway.

antohan

Kept going back and forth with three different strategies but couldn't resist this lad of pace, power and trickery.
'The scourge of bus drivers and friend of adult movie actresses'
He once thought Newcastle was a beach paradise with yachts in the sun. The one and only Tino Asprilla!

Good pick. I actually jumped the gun a bit with Caniggia as I thought Tino was perfect for you and didn't want to risk 20 picks with my backup one probably a goner (not saying either is better, just fit differently).

Good to know you are getting a keeper next :D

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Good pick. I actually jumped the gun a bit with Caniggia as I thought Tino was perfect for you and didn't want to risk 20 picks with my backup one probably a goner (not saying either is better, just fit differently).

Good to know you are getting a keeper next :D
Cheers!
I haven't decided on my next pick though. Still between three positions :wenger:

Enigma_87

You know who
You know you don't want the 16th keeper ;)

Or maybe that triple block in the sheep draft last round didn't knock any sense into you :lol:
There are couple of positions that are much more important than the keeper tho. Especially in diluted pool in the last picks.

Something which had also educational value in the last sheep draft with Gomez up top. :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You know you don't want the 16th keeper ;)

Or maybe that triple block in the sheep draft last round didn't knock any sense into you :lol:
Keeper was the least of our concerns that draft. Could have added Yashin to that team and it still would have lost 15-0 or whatever in the first round. Less said about that entire draft the better for me :lol:

antohan

There are couple of positions that are much more important than the keeper tho. Especially in diluted pool in the last picks.

Something which had also educational value in the last sheep draft with Gomez up top. :lol:
He's got Careca though. That Vialli-Crespo double-whammy ended any expectations I had of finding a way to navigate this. I decided there and then to put together a proper Serie A homage side, if not an attractive draft-winning one. The choice of Gomez I made then is still available and probably would still be knocking around in R14 but will pick him duly as he is a key piece of the jigsaw.

Keeper was the least of our concerns that draft. Could have added Yashin to that team and it still would have lost 15-0 or whatever in the first round. Less said about that entire draft the better for me :lol:
I know :lol:. Thought the frustration of that last round may have left a mark though.