Sheffield United...

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think it’s admirable how they have competed. They are literally never in a position where they have better players than their opponents. All journeyman and players whose career was leading them away from the PL before Wilder came along.

There big problem is that their system works on the basis of defensive players. They had 6 players who would be normally identified as defenders on the pitch against Villa, and one DM on top of that. It’s great that those defenders can play football and have a unique style, but technique and guile are going to suffer with play running through them.

Almost 20 million on McBurnie was a poor buy, but maybe a season in the PL will attract a few strikers of a better calibre.

It’s still amazing what they are doing when you look at their squad though. Norwich are miles better man for man, and they are nowhere.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I think it’s admirable how they have competed. They are literally never in a position where they have better players than their opponents. All journeyman and players whose career was leading them away from the PL before Wilder came along.

There big problem is that their system works on the basis of defensive players. They had 6 players who would be normally identified as defenders on the pitch against Villa, and one DM on top of that. It’s great that those defenders can play football and have a unique style, but technique and guile are going to suffer with play running through them.

Almost 20 million on McBurnie was a poor buy, but maybe a season in the PL will attract a few strikers of a better calibre.

It’s still amazing what they are doing when you look at their squad though. Norwich are miles better man for man, and they are nowhere.
I will ignore that Norwich comment :wenger:

Are you saying our players have no technique? The idea that we are just a gritty side that is somehow doing well is a common theme since Wilder came. We can play football, and we can play it very well. Not a lump it forward side. I’ll admit yesterday wasn’t a great advert for us but it’s expected after the break especially without Fleck and O’Connell who are key players in the team.

McBurnie hasn’t been poor at all either, offers so much to this side other than goals.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Are you saying our players have no technique? The idea that we are just a gritty side that is somehow doing well is a common theme since Wilder came. We can play football, and we can play it very well. Not a lump it forward side. I’ll admit yesterday wasn’t a great advert for us but it’s expected after the break especially without Fleck and O’Connell who are key players in the team.

McBurnie hasn’t been poor at all either, offers so much to this side other than goals.
Honestly, Emile Heskey died for all these guys to live. He pioneered this saying.

RyRoc

They have played the same way for like 4 years now and no one has really come up with a consistent way of stopping them - it's extremely impressive and seems to have gone under the radar a bit. Will be interesting what they do in the summer, they seem to target players from the Championship but could they be temped to alter their strategy a bit if they got into Europe?

criticalanalysis

They have played the same way for like 4 years now and no one has really come up with a consistent way of stopping them - it's extremely impressive and seems to have gone under the radar a bit. Will be interesting what they do in the summer, they seem to target players from the Championship but could they be temped to alter their strategy a bit if they got into Europe?
They will do really really well to emulate Burnley/Bournemouth/Southampton's success. That's to say to remain a force in the PL and not fade away after a good season like we have seen many times with other teams,

Perhaps the comparison to Burnley is more apt because the latter have been able to spend big (with large sales and incoming players) relatively speaking.

Maluco

Not at all saying that you are a lump it forward side mate, far from it, but the nature of the tactic means there are a lot of defensive minded players on the pitch. I clearly said that they could play too!

What I meant was that they you don’t have those quality forwards with pace, technique and skill to break teams down.

I was very complimentary.

The only thing I don’t agree with is McBurnie. He might work hard and put the effort in, but he isn’t a 19 million striker, not even in today’s market. I would argue that with the way the team is set up, someone up top needs to provide goals, and it certainly won’t be him.

I was very complimentary of the side on the whole though, am surprised it was my comment that was picked up on.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Not at all saying that you are a lump it forward side mate, far from it, but the nature of the tactic means there are a lot of defensive minded players on the pitch. I clearly said that they could play too!

What I meant was that they you don’t have those quality forwards with pace, technique and skill to break teams down.

I was very complimentary.

The only thing I don’t agree with is McBurnie. He might work hard and put the effort in, but he isn’t a 19 million striker, not even in today’s market. I would argue that with the way the team is set up, someone up top needs to provide goals, and it certainly won’t be him.

I was very complimentary of the side on the whole though, am surprised it was my comment that was picked up on.
Apologies. I read it as you saying the same things what I’ve read consistently for years, defensive workhorses. Our wingbacks and centre backs spend the whole game making runs forward, and it has done well in breaking sides down I’d say.

I agree that the money paid for McBurnie was inflated but I wouldn’t say I’ve been disappointed by him at all. I get why you’d say it but we are 6th which is not bad at all for a side that doesn’t have a striker bagging every week.

I think it was the Norwich comment that got to me most :lol:

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
This season Wilder changed up the midfield so we didn’t get overrun so I wonder if that changes next season and we revert to using a 10. I’ve seen us linked with Emmanuel Dennis so it looks like we aren’t just limiting our transfers to championship players, proven really by the Berge signing in Jan.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think it's a testament to how good they are as a unit that they're a high-flying team I wouldn't be interested in signing anyone from. Usually with teams like that there's 3/4 players you can tell are destined for the top 4 but for this Sheffield United side I don't really see it, only player I'd be interested in technically already plays for us. I know that sounds like an insult but I think it's a serious accomplishment by Wilder.

Maluco

Apologies. I read it as you saying the same things what I’ve read consistently for years, defensive workhorses. Our wingbacks and centre backs spend the whole game making runs forward, and it has done well in breaking sides down I’d say.

I agree that the money paid for McBurnie was inflated but I wouldn’t say I’ve been disappointed by him at all. I get why you’d say it but we are 6th which is not bad at all for a side that doesn’t have a striker bagging every week.

I think it was the Norwich comment that got to me most :lol:
Haha, the Norwich comment was meant as part of the wider compliment, but I stand by it. I think bigger sides will look at players like Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell and Buendia before they would look at anyone from SU, but that is part of the compliment.

The fact that there are so many unfancied players like Baldock, Lundstrum, O’Connell, Stevens and the like, who had probably given up any dreams of playing PL football a few years ago, but are here now and competing, playing good football against bigger sides with flashy names. It’s a tribute to how well they have done as a group.

Norwich do have better individuals in my opinion, I think most, if not all, PL sides do. That does not take away from what a great side Wilder has put together, and he should get enormous credit for doing that while playing such an interesting, creative system. As the players also should for stepping up and having the confidence to play their game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it's a testament to how good they are as a unit that they're a high-flying team I wouldn't be interested in signing anyone from. Usually with teams like that there's 3/4 players you can tell are destined for the top 4 but for this Sheffield United side I don't really see it, only player I'd be interested in technically already plays for us. I know that sounds like an insult but I think it's a serious accomplishment by Wilder.
:lol: good description that. They're the perfect example of a well drilled team is better than a bunch of individuals. To be fair to them every time I've seen them all their players look "good" no absolute cloggers like you get at some teams like Norwich or Villa at times.

I really didn't expect them to stay this high for this long, think that ghost goal could prove to be the turning point for their season.

We HAVE to beat them at OT next.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Haha, the Norwich comment was meant as part of the wider compliment, but I stand by it. I think bigger sides will look at players like Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell and Buendia before they would look at anyone from SU, but that is part of the compliment.

The fact that there are so many unfancied players like Baldock, Lundstrum, O’Connell, Stevens and the like, who had probably given up any dreams of playing PL football a few years ago, but are here now and competing, playing good football against bigger sides with flashy names, is a tribute to how well they have done as a group.

Norwich do have better individuals in my opinion, I think most, if not all, PL sides do. That does not take away from what a great side Wilder has put together, and he should get enormous credit for doing that while playing such an interesting, creative system. As the players also should for stepping up and having the confidence to play their game.
Fair enough. It is incredible what Wilder has managed, he’s worked wonders with these players. It’s something to be proud of for sure, with all the money in the game. To have players like O’Connell, Basham, Fleck, Sharp who have been in the side since League One is special. They don’t look out of place in the PL.

Maluco

Fair enough. It is incredible what Wilder has managed, he’s worked wonders with these players. It’s something to be proud of for sure, with all the money in the game. To have players like O’Connell, Basham, Fleck, Sharp who have been in the side since League One is special. They don’t look out of place in the PL.
They really don’t, and they can play too. As you say, it’s not a “let’s get well drilled and make it tough for them” system. It makes you wonder about the benefits of recruitment from the lower leagues in an era when PL teams are spending crazy amounts and not improving their eleven at all.

It will be fascinating to watch next season.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
We HAVE to beat them at OT next.
I think you will. Our squad is getting smaller so there isn’t much room to rotate to help fatigue. Say we got the 3 points at Villa then there could’ve been some momentum but I struggle to see it.

Paul_Scholes18

I think you will. Our squad is getting smaller so there isn’t much room to rotate to help fatigue. Say we got the 3 points at Villa then there could’ve been some momentum but I struggle to see it.
No Henderson is very good for us. Who is the second keeper? Is he any good?

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
No Henderson is very good for us. Who is the second keeper? Is he any good?
Could be Moore or Verrips. They are not Henderson level so it’s a bonus for you either way.
They really don’t, and they can play too. As you say, it’s not a “let’s get well drilled and make it tough for them” system. It makes you wonder about the benefits of recruitment from the lower leagues in an era when PL teams are spending crazy amounts and not improving their eleven at all.

It will be fascinating to watch next season.
The lower leagues are overlooked because of the quality but I’d say it’s more of a safe bet. There are some bargains to be had. Chelsea looking at Benrahma is interesting but I get the feeling they will get rinsed.

RyRoc

This season Wilder changed up the midfield so we didn’t get overrun so I wonder if that changes next season and we revert to using a 10. I’ve seen us linked with Emmanuel Dennis so it looks like we aren’t just limiting our transfers to championship players, proven really by the Berge signing in Jan.
yeah fair enough , to be honest nothing wrong with targeting players from that league if they fit into your formula - a lot of talent in the Championship but can see why you might want to expand on it.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
yeah fair enough , to be honest nothing wrong with targeting players from that league if they fit into your formula - a lot of talent in the Championship but can see why you might want to expand on it.
I agree, worked wonders for us so far. It’s just good to see that our scouts have eyes across Europe too though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ravel Morrison must be out of the door aswell given he didn't make the 9 man bench the other day.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So, how do people think Sheffield United will cope with the restart? I think potentially, they could be most affected of the better teams by the ‘reduced integrity’. They were always the team that stood out the most in and around the top as having the poorest group of players, and I just think the surprise package thing will be harder to just continue after such a pause. I think they many would have felt they would struggle to replicate their form next season anyway, and a 3 month break is almost like a new start altogether.

Another small snapshot of the ‘integrity issue’ is that they come back and equalise in stoppage time against us in front of their own fans, get we don’t get a ‘real’ home game against them, in what will be such an important match. Head to head we’d basically have one away game and one neutral with them this season. Nevertheless, I think they’ll struggle to go again.
As I thought. That’s them done I think.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Burnt out, just happy to be comfortable enough above the bottom 3

Raw

Good call. Would be nice if they managed a Europa spot, I do like them. Plus if we decide to loan out Henderson again it'd be valuable experience.

Untd55

I don't think they were ever actually going to get top four; I think they would have dropped off regardless of the lockdown. They have done really well. Secured their position in the league for next season. Still have a chance of Europa League, but I doubt they will get it. Chelsea, Manutd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leicester are likely to fill the European competition places.

They have pretty much done all they can this season.

Maluco

I actually think it’s too early to say that mate. Newcastle was really because of the sending off, which ruins any chance of the system being workable.

Today was just a case of playing a fully strengthened United with players missing.

I think you will get something from the Tottenham game and get that confidence back.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I like McBurnie, incredibly hard working player. A lot of the players at Swansea lost motivation but he never gave less than his all, and is a very selfless player. Not many goals this season but I think he’s done well for your lot when I have watched. Also he flipped off the Cardiff fans :lol:

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I actually think it’s too early to say that mate. Newcastle was really because of the sending off, which ruins any chance of the system being workable.

Today was just a case of playing a fully strengthened United with players missing.

I think you will get something from the Tottenham game and get that confidence back.
We’ve not been at it in any of the games. It’s purely down to not being good enough since coming back. I would’ve fancied at least a point in normal circumstances. We are a different side there is no effort which is the least you expect unfortunately

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I like McBurnie, incredibly hard working player. A lot of the players at Swansea lost motivation but he never gave less than his all, and is a very selfless player. Not many goals this season but I think he’s done well for your lot when I have watched. Also he flipped off the Cardiff fans :lol:
Exactly, great attitude.

Maluco

We’ve not been at it in any of the games. It’s purely down to not being good enough since coming back. I would’ve fancied at least a point in normal circumstances. We are a different side there is no effort which is the least you expect unfortunately
I think United could be a different beast between now and the end of the season. I don’t think it’s any shame to lose today, even though you might have fancied chances beforehand.

I just think it’s too early to write them off. Maybe they needed to tune up and get some minutes but I think you will give Spurs a real game and be back on it with those players back and a chance to reorganize

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They need to invest this summer. Don't think they will be able to survive another top season with that quality (no offense meant its just that they don't have enough quality with them)

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I think United could be a different beast between now and the end of the season. I don’t think it’s any shame to lose today, even though you might have fancied chances beforehand.

I just think it’s too early to write them off. Maybe they needed to tune up and get some minutes but I think you will give Spurs a real game and be back on it with those players back and a chance to reorganize
It’s not just today it’s been each match and with the schedule, I can see it continue. I still have hope but won’t have any expectations.

Robertd0803

Wonder if the farce against Villa has caused heads to drop somewhat? They really werent at the races against Newcastle even before the stupid sending off and they didnt offer much earlier.

paulscholes18

Need to invest in a couple of strikers, only 12 league goals between Mcgoldrick, McBurnie, Sharp & Mousset not nearly enough. I would be after Edouard and Morelos if I was Wilder, players from the Scottish league tend to go for sensible money.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

We hope they can do us a favour in other games but they were awful tonight, like one of the worst teams I've seen us play all season, really can't see them being any threat for anyone over these last 7 games

Red00012

I think Covid came at a bad team for you. It has killed momentum for you but it shouldn’t outshine the season you’ve had pre the stoppage .
It actually stopped for us at a bad team regarding results but it was good to get Rash and Pogba back.
Today was the 1st game this season we’ve had our 1st choice 11 fully fit. On top of that you were missing a few .

Maluco

We hope they can do us a favour in other games but they were awful tonight, like one of the worst teams I've seen us play all season, really can't see them being any threat for anyone over these last 7 games
Great anti-jinx:D