Sherlock

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I never was a fan of the Wire. The one I'd probably say is better is the West Wing.
I haven't seen West Wing, but it strikes me as a show where an episode could end with characters gazing at the night sky and utter "thank god we live in this great country", with the American flag subtly noticeable in the background.

cinc

I haven't seen West Wing, but it strikes me as a show where an episode could end with characters gazing at the night sky and utter "thank god we live in this great country", with the American flag subtly noticeable in the background.
You couldnt be more wrong. Its witty, smart, deals with real issues, has great characters.

izzydiggler

You couldnt be more wrong. Its witty, smart, deals with real issues, has great characters.
Probably my favourite series ever but it can be incredibly hammy at times - as much as I love it, the melodrama in some episodes could really piss off some people.

They'd be wrong of course :)

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Sherlock stories have to be a bit kitschy, thats part of the fun. I laughed and was mad that I didnt figure it out earlier.

Best thing on tv since the first season of Twin Peaks.
Well they don't have to be kitsch, since it's hardly based on kitsch material. The problem with the password reveal/gag was that it didn't make any sense. She apparently made that password, when? After the first time they'd met? That seems irrational to be perfectly honest. The only time they get really close is in the scene where he takes her pulse...Which is supposedly long after she sets the password. It was the only bit that screamed "Silly TV" for me...The rest of it was tight and well plotted.

Perfect for a film though
Downey Jr? Not for a Sherlock Holmes film no, but for a Guy Richie action film yes.

Cumberbatch is an infinitely better Holmes. Downey Jr is a better Downey Jr.

Spoony

The People's President
Hang on...this is the best thing since Twin Peaks? Why wasn't I made aware of this series?

Wankers!

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I'll probably end up watching it at some point and liking it as well. Hopefully I won't have to repeatedly throw up.

I can't believe you didn't like The Wire, it's one of the masterpieces of the 21th Century imo!

Hang on...this is the best thing since Twin Peaks? Why wasn't I made aware of this series?

Wankers!
I wouldn't go that far but it's a very enjoyable show and the best English tv show in quite a while.

Spoony

The People's President
I'll probably end up watching it at some point and liking it as well. Hopefully I won't have to repeatedly throw up.

I can't believe you didn't like The Wire, it's one of the masterpieces of the 21th Century imo!

I wouldn't go that far but it's a very enjoyable show and the best English tv show in quite a while.
Better than Black Mirror? What a shame it was only a short series.

Mockney

Anything written by Aaron Sorkin is fantastic by default. If it isn't, it's someone elses fault

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Better than Black Mirror? What a shame it was only a short series.
Tuff call. Black Mirror was great but Sherlock is probably the more entertaining show.

For a writer Sorkin seems to have a very big ego, or well I don't know that but judging by all the exposure and admiration he gets it seems that way.

Mockney

Well he wrote an Oscar winning film on a subject he knew virtually nothing about when he was about 27, and then continued to write entire 20 show series virtually on his own into his 30s & 40s whilst addicted to crack, coke & alcohol.

I can see why he has an ego, but I think he's pretty cool personally.

If anyone actually desrves an ego in television (or film) it's the writer. It's an odd situation that they're usually the ones with the least populist credit, and thus boosted ego, despite being the ones who contribute the most to the process. No one complains that Sean Penn has a bit of an ego. feck actors, they can go asphixiwank themselves infront of a mirror. Big up the egotistical writer/creator. Bangerang.

I'm not having that. Pants are trousers, and underpants are well....underpants.
Who the feck calls trousers pants? Apart from Americans and wankers?

Spoony

The People's President
Tuff call. Black Mirror was great but Sherlock is probably the more entertaining show.

For a writer Sorkin seems to have a very big ego, or well I don't know that but judging by all the exposure and admiration he gets it seems that way.

I'll have to download it.
Who the feck calls trousers pants? Apart from Americans and wankers?
Balderdash...bangerwrong. I think nothern folk refer to trousers as pants, whereas southerners seem to think underpants are overpants and pants are underpants.

Art

Art the artist
Mockney makes some interesting points. But I guessed a few things before the happened. The locker password which were her measurements, the scene where the american fell outside the window, the scene was perfectly positioned for the 'sudden' fall of the chair with person on it.

And the fecker sometimes speaks way too fast.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Mockney makes some interesting points. But I guessed a few things before the happened. The locker password which were her measurements, the scene where the american fell outside the window, the scene was perfectly positioned for the 'sudden' fall of the chair with person on it.

And the fecker sometimes speaks way too fast.
He already says that he "fell" out the window before that...hardly sudden

hungrywing

Slightly surprised that some people aren't getting that the writers have decided to start making Sherlock 'famous', and thus would plausibly have an increased pool of admirers/obsessed fans/bad-guys-who-want-to-challenge-him/etc. Admittedly they did it a bit subtly - Buckingham Palace, pfft - perhaps to avoid having to be tied to it in future episodes.

Didn't like one part of the ending personally. Wished Mycroft were the one who stepped in (in a different way, of course) out of brotherly concern. But either way the diner conversation was excellent - that was a very pleasant surprise, dropping hints left and right like there's no tomorrow yet not deigning to hit the viewer over the head with anything.

The Neviller

Haven't seen this series, but have read quite a few saying it's better than the Downey Jr film version. I really enjoyed the film, and am looking forward to going to watch the second one. Anyone know where I could get my hands on the first series of the one this thread is about?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Anybody who's a fan of the original books have an opinion on the series (I haven't watched it, tbh)? Is it a travesty, or a welcome revitalisation of Conan Doyle's stories?

EricaNo7

I'll have to download it.

Balderdash...bangerwrong. I think nothern folk refer to trousers as pants, whereas southerners seem to think underpants are overpants and pants are underpants.
North west in particular. I remember my husband saying he wasn't going to wear pants ( not long after I'd met him ) and I was appalled as I hadn't known him very long, but he actually meant trousers.

cinc

Well they don't have to be kitsch, since it's hardly based on kitsch material. The problem with the password reveal/gag was that it didn't make any sense. She apparently made that password, when? After the first time they'd met? That seems irrational to be perfectly honest. The only time they get really close is in the scene where he takes her pulse...Which is supposedly long after she sets the password. It was the only bit that screamed "Silly TV" for me...The rest of it was tight and well plotted.

Downey Jr? Not for a Sherlock Holmes film no, but for a Guy Richie action film yes.

Cumberbatch is an infinitely better Holmes. Downey Jr is a better Downey Jr.

Every Doyle story is kitsch to a certain extent, thats part of the fun.

Ms. Adler was stalking Sherlock long before that. Also she - as THE woman - probably anticipated that the phone will end up in Sherlock's possession.

After all it was important for her that he sees the some content of it

cinc

Probably my favourite series ever but it can be incredibly hammy at times - as much as I love it, the melodrama in some episodes could really piss off some people.

They'd be wrong of course :)
But its not the TV equivalent of Patton. Its not about the greatness of the America, its about people working in the American political system, who do believe in their country's founding ideas.

Huge difference.

Mockney

I trust they have pictures of this pre-watershed nudity that's so outrageous?

I haven't even clicked the link but going by the Daily Mail I know for a fact they definitely do...Probably more than one.

cinc

I trust they have pictures of this pre-watershed nudity that's so outrageous?

I haven't even clicked the link but going by the Daily Mail I know for a fact they definitely do...Probably more than one.
They have indeed. Two. The one lovely shot in the armchair and the other where she's standing and her back is visible. I'm assume kids read the Mail too!

Oh, the horror!

Mockney

:lol: I genuinely didn't look at that....I have now, and it's a huge fecking picture in the armchair! Wankers.

She wasn't even actually nude FFS.

gh78

I think they annonouced it'd be 3 x feature lenght again

I think I'd rather that than a series of 30 mins Eps. I also read there will be a lot more Moriarty in these ones

Edit.... Yeah only 3 Sherlock (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4 1 "A Scandal in Belgravia"[49] Paul McGuigan Steven Moffat 1 January 2012[52]
5 2 "The Hounds of Baskerville"[49] Paul McGuigan Mark Gatiss TBC
6 3 "The Reichenbach Fall"[49] Toby Haynes Steve Thompson TBC
That title doesn't bode well for more episodes with this team. I know Conan-Doyle brought him back after it but it does seem the logical one to wrap up with.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Worth watching I suppose but all a bit over stylised and very kitsch. I'm not sure that you are mean to find Holmes an utter cnut either. Which you do.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Worth watching I suppose but all a bit over stylised and very kitsch. I'm not sure that you are mean to find Holmes an utter cnut either. Which you do.
I think he's fairly likeable. They might have thought it would be more plausible if a modern Sherlock Holmes would have some sociopathic, autistic traits.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
But I actively dislike him this time around. And they have dumbed down Dr Watson to the point where they might as well have substituted George Kastanza.

The modern Moriarty is very silly indeed.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Anybody who's a fan of the original books have an opinion on the series (I haven't watched it, tbh)? Is it a travesty, or a welcome revitalisation of Conan Doyle's stories?
I read the original books. Wasn't a huge fan, I'd say, but I did enjoy them.

I personally think this is a fantastic modern reboot of the books. They don't remain true in the sense that the storylines are the same, but that's partly because they cram so many of the different cases into one episode. Then again each episode is 90 minutes so it's practically a movie anyways. Everything has ample time to develop, but it doesn't feel slow. In fact the pace seems very frantic, as it should, because the characters are working against time to get these cases solved.

The modernness of the modern world is incorporated into the stories very well but you're not smashed over the head with it. It's not "hardy hardy har, Sherlock Holmes has a smart phone!" or CSI fake forensic technology bullshit as much as it is certain things from the stories having technologically advanced parallels. Watson has a blog instead of publishing his stories in the paper. Text messages instead of telegrams. They call each other by first name. Automobile taxicabs instead of horse-drawn. Time frames speed up a little since they can move around and communicate faster.

Also I'd say the combined nature of mixing several of the stories into one episode actually enhances the episodes instead of muddling them. They do a fantastic job of mixing in just the right amount of references, but all this combined with the modern reboot nature makes you feel like you're watching new stories instead of seeing the old ones adapted. It's a completely new experience that doesn't soil the old ones and that's part of what makes watching the show so fun.