Sherlock

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I did enjoy it, it was a well written ep and the story was great (though I still don't like their Moriarty particularly, he's a panto character, but thats the way they went, so hey ho, you either like it or you don't) but you cant have a who donnit/hows you donnit? Without the who done it, and the how's they done it...this isn't Lost. Or This Is England. You tell us at the end, that's the point.

Obviously Molly made a cadaver, and there's a chance it has something to do with the child who "recognised" him earlier, but I just think it's a bit of a cop out to leave it ALL open to the next series...you at least have him clear his name & thwart Moriarty's plan and leave the "how did he fake his death?" to next series....leaving everything open is a cop out...cos all ep you're thinking "how's he gonna get out of this" and in the end....they dont tell you! Despite that being the point of a Sherlock Holmes serial.

It's American serial writing that.....anyway, rant over...for the most part it was very enjoyable, and im partly obviously annoyed because i enjoyed it and wanted to see how it ended.....and I'm perhaps influenced by the fact I watched the Downey Jr/Law take on the The Final Problem last night and liked what they did with it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was hoping one of you had figured out how you did it. You useless bastards. Obviously something to do with Molly but I don't get how he could have done anything from being up there to jumping.

Mockney

Watson gets hit by a bicycle for no reason just as he runs to the body, that could feature as a slight of hand distraction.....somehow.

Smores

I was hoping one of you had figured out how you did it. You useless bastards. Obviously something to do with Molly but I don't get how he could have done anything from being up there to jumping.
I had a couple of ideas but then I realised they didn't work. The guy in the window with the sniper rifle, was that sherlock as it looked like it was but maybe I saw that wrong?

If not then I'm guessing as we didn't see him hit the floor that he set something up to survive the fall and he organised Watson to be hit with the bike etc to give him time to appear dead and be taken off. Seemed like they were purposefully trying to keep Watson away from the body.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Sherlock has close contacts with the firm who helped Elvis, 2Pac and Aaliyah fake their deaths.

Smores

Seeing as Moriarty survives are we supposed to presume that he didn't really kill himself or is it possible that Scott was never actually Moriarty but a front.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There was a rubbish truck that happens to park up just in front of where Holmes fell - plus Holmes was insistent on Watson not moving from a single spot whilst on the phone - a spot where he couldn't actually see Holmes' body hit the floor. It's a bit messy and unbrilliant, but my guess is that he lands in the rubbish truck! Which is somehow timed with a drop of the fake body out a window...

hungrywing

Squash ball.

This now makes two high-profile franchises written by UK-involved creative teams that have tried to tackle the "hero/fame/adulation" issue in almost identical ways. Maybe it's something in the UK water.

All in all, good popcorn fun though. Giving the audience what they want in all the right places.

Wish they had him reading a newspaper at the end, though. Just his eyes peeking over the top at first. Cumberbatch has instantly recognizable eyes, why not use that?

The_Red_Hope

How it was possibly done.

I've seen the 'Fall' scene three times now and the body is definitely not Cumberbatch. You can see the face and it's not Sherlock. So, Sherlock obviously had figured out Moriarty's masterplan. He jumps into the garbage truck that was on the spot (and was blocking Watson's view, remember he asks him to stay in that very spot). Molly arranges for the cadaver to fall at the same time. Watson gets knocked down by someone from the homeless network, he's dazed enough and scared enough at this point to confirm that the body is Sherlock. Molly follows with the fake-autopsy and there you go. Far fetched yes ... but entertaining. Oh yeah !

Art

Art the artist
Watson checks Cumberblossom's pulse. Surely a cadaver cannot replicate the same texture.

Art

Art the artist
Hehehehehe.. I think I got it.

He had Molly make a cadaver of his face as a mask as a whole body would be too difficult to pull off(an Idea sherlock uses from his child-scaring incident..Thanks Mockney). Remember Moriarty already shot himself. He put the mask on Moriarty after he shot himself and ..there..Moriarty falls down the building..Blood splats around.. and like someone already mentioned Molly's incharge of Postmortem.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I hope the rubbish truck is just a red herring. I mean, he didn't even jump he just sort of let himself fall off - there is no way he could have made it. Anyway it'll probably be a let down no matter what the solution is given how long we'll have to wait.

I can't help feeling that this will be me when season 3 comes around:

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I didn't mind the end at all. That said, reading over everyone's comments, I think Mockney's sums it up best when he says that this was distinctly American in its execution. Classic American TV season finale cliffhanger. Tune in next season to find out how he did it. I'm used to it and I'm perfectly fine with how this played out, because it's normal for me. All in all I enjoyed the shit out of that episode.

Also for everyone hoping the explanation won't be a letdown

BOOK SPOILER

It probably will be. Considering Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Holmes and then had to find some half-arsed way to bring him back to life, the source material isn't exactly the biggest inspiration. It probably will be something as simple as "I found another way out of the falls that you couldn't spot".

If anything I'm more interested to find out how they clear Sherlock's name since that whole angle was something new in this adaptation.

Anyways, loved the episode. Loved the adaptation. Loved the twists and turns, especially the whole "THERE IS NO CODE" part for some reason. I think I even accepted psycho Moriarty (and his offing himself completely caught me off guard). But I think above all I liked the whole Sherlock is a fraud angle. I don't recall ever seeing it in the original stories. While I knew the whole death angle was coming due to the source material, I felt like the task of preserving Sherlock's honor was much more important than anything else.

Smores

There's no way they could have adapted The Final Problem without making it a cliff hanger is there?

They had to show him alive otherwise those not familiar with Sherlock would have thought he was actually dead and that would have been shit/annoying. Explaining how he actually survived would have made the ending a little flat, and there was no need for him to clear his name as his aim was to fake his death and lie low. Watson would know he was alive if he didn't in part believe he could have been a fake.

Some very interesting ideas introduced, going to go back and read the stories, been a while

Ubik

I hope the rubbish truck is just a red herring. I mean, he didn't even jump he just sort of let himself fall off - there is no way he could have made it. Anyway it'll probably be a let down no matter what the solution is given how long we'll have to wait.
But if you think about it - it's definitely him that falls, and it's definitely not him that lands. The switch has to happen somewhere. Truck could be a red herring but I can't see another way it could be done. The "falling" rather than jumping off did give me a bit of pause, but I'm yet to see another way it could've been done.

LARulz

I take it Sherlock is the only one faking his death right? And Moriaty actually did blow his brains out, though thought that was weird.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Right I think
He knew how it would play out with Moriarty (give or take) so he had his homeless network dress up normally and they where the ones that showed up first... He threw Moriarty's body off the building to make it look like falling, the homeless dragged them away, then he somehow got down the building quickly, injected with a weird drug, but a tennis ball under his arm (so there was no pulse) and went to his mind temple.

Then the girl faked his death certificate and the rest.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Fantastic stuff.

I was slightly disappointed that the cops were quick to doubt his work after the help he has given them.

Question, is it possible that Moriaty is still alive, would be a pity that the craze lunatic will not be around for S3.

Ray Peterson

Reserve Team Player
Fantastic stuff.

I was slightly disappointed that the cops were quick to doubt his work after the help he has given them.

Question, is it possible that Moriaty is still alive, would be a pity that the craze lunatic will not be around for S3.
They could write him in again by making it true that the guy was an actor. Moriarty could then reveal his true self in later episodes. That would be a bit rubbish though.
I quite like the theory about the body switch. He told Watson to stay in one place, which points to restricting his field of view, Sherlock's appearance with Molly would point to a replacement cadaver, and he seemed to be stalling for time before the arrival of the dump truck. It was a good episode.

el eric

With Freeman hitting the hobbity big time over the next 2 years it might be a few years before we see another series of this

Loved the scene in the last episode where Moriarty claimed to be an actor. I liked the Moriarty character, and the way he was portrayed, maybe it was a bit marmite.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
it is going to be a pretty far fetched explanation in terms of Sherlock and Moriaty second guessing each other for Moriaty to still be alive

WeasteDevil

it is going to be a pretty far fetched explanation in terms of Sherlock and Moriaty second guessing each other for Moriaty to still be alive
Gun was false, blood came out of a sack, totally faked. That's easy to explain. What's not easy to explain is how Sherlock survived the fall. Rcoobc's ideas are clearly total nonsense. Watson saw him jump, but did not see him land.

Mockney

It's going to be very hard to explain, which is why I still maintain it was a cop out. They'll probably fudge the explanation somewhat into a 20 minute intro and then distract you with a new case. Virtually the exact way this season started in fact.

Ubik

Gun was false, blood came out of a sack, totally faked. That's easy to explain. What's not easy to explain is how Sherlock survived the fall. Rcoobc's ideas are clearly total nonsense. Watson saw him jump, but did not see him land.
I'd have thought even a blank shot right inside the mouth could do a fair bit of damage, but probably not enough to kill. You'd have expected Sherlock to do a bit of investigation on the body really, check there was a massive hole in the back of the head and such.

I think Sherlock's fall is quite explainable as it is - he had to land on something softish, and since a truck was parked right in front of where he jumped, piled with softish looking things, it's fair to guess he jumped on that (and that it was arranged beforehand).

One thing that I didn't notice getting explained was the IOU stuff, but I may just have not been paying attention.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ye faking the shot is easy in itself but if that is what happened then the ramifications for the back story is going to get a bit ridiculous.

As others have mentioned, Sherlock jumping into the truck seems a likely explanation.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
It's obvious that Moriarty is supposed to be Fergie and the whole episode reminded me of the FA's treatment of Suarez, where those in power, AND THE DISGUSTING MURDOCH MEDIA, try to besmirch the good name of a genius who just happens to use 'unorthodox' methods. This goes right to the top and I've emailed and tweeted Joey Barton about it!

cinc

It's obvious that Moriarty is supposed to be Fergie and the whole episode reminded me of the FA's treatment of Suarez, where those in power, AND THE DISGUSTING MURDOCH MEDIA, try to besmirch the good name of a genius who just happens to use 'unorthodox' methods. This goes right to the top and I've emailed and tweeted Joey Barton about it!
:)

sammymc

did he? in the previous episode they all saw a massive hound with red eyes....you see what you expect to see?

or something...feck knows.

Smores

Just heard the US are doing their own version of Sherlock :lol: Located in New York it'll be called Elementary apparently *shudder*

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
More importantly a third season has been confirmed!

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I still don't know what to make of this. I watched episode 1 and it was decent, episode 2 was terribly written and episode 3 was ok with some not-so-ok bits

WeasteDevil

did he? in the previous episode they all saw a massive hound with red eyes....you see what you expect to see?

or something...feck knows.
Well, I doubt there were any drugs involved with this one. Watson was in the street looking up, and as Sherlock jumped he ran towards the base of the building didn't he? But a truck or a small building or something else, can't remember, was obscuring his view of the ground, and just as he was coming around that obstruction of see the place that Sherlock should have landed on, he gets knocked over by someone on a bike. He doesn't see Sherlock actually land. It's only when he gets up a bit dazed when he staggers over and then sees the body of Sherlock splatted on the pavement. The daft bit is surely the sniper not seeing this?