Shola Shoretire

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some "hilarious" banter aside from the previous posts. Daily Mail reporting that he has already started training with the first team since yesterday and will be there for quite sometime.
Simon peach also reported that.

MPTutd

I do love it when Caf members think they know more about a youth players potential than professionals within the club who have spent years working to develop young players.

If Shola is playing u23 football, signs a contract at 17 with the first team manager in attendance, and gets moved to first team training, I suspect he is pretty gifted. Doesn't mean he'll make it, and I'm sure there will be highs and lows along the way.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Deleted the posts by those taking the piss.

Now that we have his dad on the caf, we should get good updates. Hopefully we do. :D
Unless he's been scared away which is what usually happens when those ITK post here.

The guy joined the forum 4 years ago because he knew someone on the caf would be less than complimentary about his 13 year old son in 4 years time.

what a man.

edit: infinitely more impressive considering Bigsid hadn't joined the caf at that time.. but our hero saw the future.
He actually joined the caf as he said he planned on sharing stuff going on at the Academy without revealing sensitive information. He made a few posts when he joined which he has since deleted including information about Shola. I'm sure he's telling the truth.

Prodigal7

Yeah IKR - even disregarding that he's just turned 17, people need to stop obsessing over goals and assists in general. Iniesta, Zidane etc were some of the best players ever and their stats in those terms weren't great. It's about the space they open up with their skill, vision, awareness, passing etc. Same applies with Scholes as he maneuvered the entire opposition where he wanted them. Shola has a sort of footballing x factor you don't need stats to show, like his ability to find people, take the ball on the turn and create all over the pitch is rare.

macheda14

“It has been a great week for Shoretire (pronounced Shor-ay-ti-reh)”

This was in the man United article about him singing his professional contract - I’ve been sounding it out and I’m still unsure.

Sho - ray - tear - ə??

hubbuh

Well done that man. Hard work paying dividends. Great to see!

United seems to be doing a fantastic job of nurturing these lads from young and helping them evolve into players with real, top-class potential. Good stuff all 'round.

prateik

He actually joined the caf as he said he planned on sharing stuff going on at the Academy without revealing sensitive information. He made a few posts when he joined which he has since deleted including information about Shola. I'm sure he's telling the truth.
I have no reason to doubt that.. It was just a response to his post saying
I joined this forum to tell Bigsid, Mickson, Adnan, Beaucoup, etc to stop belittling Shola.
Anyway.. Hope he doesnt go away.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This thread took a turn didn't it? :lol:

Bigsid

You will certainly need thicker skin as a parent than reacting to a couple of forum posters that's for sure! Not sure where I haven't stated facts. Shola was seen as a top talent in 15s and hasn't quite hit the same heights as other kids of 17 in our academy like Greenwood, Hugill et al since playing in the 18s and 23s as can be seen in his goals return over the past two seasons. He has had a limited impact and its great to see him playing like he did on Friday against Blackburn. I have huge respect for our academy and it saddens me to see so few homegrown talents in our 18s and 23s teams at present with the better players being bought in. Let's hope he can do it more consistently.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Prodigal7

You will certainly need thicker skin as a parent than reacting to a couple of forum posters that's for sure! Not sure where I haven't stated facts. Shola was seen as a top talent in 15s and hasn't quite hit the same heights as other kids of 17 in our academy like Greenwood, Hugill et al since playing in the 18s and 23s as can be seen in his goals return over the past two seasons. He has had a limited impact and its great to see him playing like he did on Friday against Blackburn. I have huge respect for our academy and it saddens me to see so few homegrown talents in our 18s and 23s teams at present with the better players being bought in. Let's hope he can do it more consistently.
You have to be realistic. We can’t have multiple potential first team players coming through every year as there isn’t enough space in the squad.
Also just because Shola isn’t scoring a goal a game in the U23s as a 16 year old and laying on the wing doesn’t mean he’s not still a top prospect. In any case, despite the modern obsession with stats, a players performance is mostly measured by things other than goals and assists.

Some people just have axes to grind, I’ve seen you single out McNeill and do the same. We have more top “local” prospects now than for a long time in Mengi, Shola, Hugill, Fish, McNeill.

Last edited:

Drainy

Hugill and Greenwood are out and out strikers. They play with less responsibility to contain the opposition and are in position to score more regularly and are generally easier to tell if they are having a good game or not.

Shoretire has started out wide and done OK but since moving to second striker he's been doing great with his pressing, off the ball movement, footwork and link up play. If he can more consistently chip in with goals and assists then that was the only mark against him really bearing in mind he turned 17 last week.

Last edited:

Bigsid

The Mcneil situation makes me laugh. Maybe my axe to grind is that he walked out on the club to go to City as he judged them to offer better development. Then suddenly 4 years later when money comes into it developments better here! Seems a decent player. Hugill appears a better talent in the games I've seen but neither are homegrown as they have been developed at other clubs. Good luck to all the lads anyway. Its a bloody hard game.

Bojan Djordjic

Don't think you should be lecturing a parent for biting back over criticism of his 16 year old son on a public forum. Should maybe have a look at your own behaviour there.

Why do you keep comparing him to Hugill who could not be more physically imposing at 17. It's obvious that a player like him might cope better against grown men than a small slight creative type player. Greenwood is widely regarded as the biggest talent to come out of the United academy in years and is hardly a fair comparison either but we've seen even he struggles with the physicality and he's bigger than Shola.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Prodigal7

The Mcneil situation makes me laugh. Maybe my axe to grind is that he walked out on the club to go to City as he judged them to offer better development. Then suddenly 4 years later when money comes into it developments better here! Seems a decent player. Hugill appears a better talent in the games I've seen but neither are homegrown as they have been developed at other clubs. Good luck to all the lads anyway. Its a bloody hard game.
You seem to have a soft spot to say the least for city academy players. Given our track record of academy players going to the first team compared to City since they became an oil rig, it shouldn’t be any wonder when a player wants to join us us a first year scholar instead of staying put. Until McNeill we had a policy of not taking back players that left us previously for City otherwise I’m sure lots more would have also tried to return to us. It’s unclear whether our policy has changed in this regard or whether McNeill is just an exception to that policy.

City offer all kinds of financial benefits to parents of lads between 10 and 16 in terms of schooling etc that we don’t and I wouldn’t blame a parent for taking advantage of that. The vast majority of local prospects (even those that are brilliant at age 10) won’t make a comfortable living in football and it’s a parents duty to give them the best education they can.

chattichattichatta

I'm currently going through it all again for Shola's little brother. Aged 10 (well, 11 soon) he plays the same positions as Shola for United U12s and sometimes U13s. Happy Days!

Last edited:

Rocknrolla69er

he looks a talent certainley, hopefully he realises his potential with us, very calm and intelligent with the ball.

Not got grand dreams of Madrid or Barca has he?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Barca and Real might not be the biggest attractions over the next 10 years...

pascell

I'm currently going through it all again for Shola's little brother. Aged 10 (well, 11 soon) he plays the same positions as Shola for United U12s and sometimes U13s. Happy Days!
Wow, congratulations, you must be very proud of them both!

When you say you're going through it all again, what do you mean? Have United been easy to deal with?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Brilliant, congrats!

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Wow, congratulations, you must be very proud of them both!

When you say you're going through it all again, what do you mean? Have United been easy to deal with?
He means having his teenage children abused online by clueless idiots who demand they be starting for the first team at age 16.

Not a great experience I'm sure you would agree.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We're all thinking it, but you should start selling your baby gravy!

chattichattichatta

:lol: @ SELLING BABY GRAVY.

On a more serious note, Shola and his family will always love you guys. And hey! we will continue to roll with the hard punches from some of your hard boys on the CAFE.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
That is some few weeks. Good stuff.

Shame that young kids get this much scrutiny at this level. Couple of bad games at u18 or u21 level and its negativity.

Thankfully our coaches at that level know better. I'm hopeful he continues the development. Being involved in first team training will do no harm at all.

Top news