Shola Shoretire

Remember the geese

Playing up and as a #10 behind Mipo Odubeko, Shola scored 66 (and 6 more in a 6-a-side Torno abroad) for the U15s. All reported and videotaped in Academy’s PMS. Before that he played as a striker scoring goals for fun. Again, all recorded. Shola has won more trophies home and abroad than anyone else at academy level. At international level, he played his own age for England U15s v Turkey. He scored a hat trick in 15 minutes and coaches took him off. Shola is a striker/ACM. Yes, United coaches have now removed the shackles as he has signed his contract and they no longer need to hide his talent in U18s/U23s games by asking him to help full-backs whilst the team attack with Hannibal/Elanga in the middle/opposite end. Thank God!
How do you see the future for Shola? Do you think he will be involved in any sort of pre-season tour (if there is one) with the first team this Summer? I assume he'll have another year at under 23 level next season, but perhaps the odd cameo in the cups. Is that feasible in your opinion?

Prodigal7

and here's what happens when some people try to publicly tear down 16 year olds. I'm sure any parent would be angry.

Glorio

Yes. It is pronounced sho-re-ti-re not shore-tire
Oh God bless you Sir!!! Has to be the worst destruction of a name I've ever seen.

No one's fault here though, but the commentators are paid for this, and the fact that they've not even tried to find out how it's pronounced is messed up.

I admit it's a four syllable name, so may become a mouthful, but there are loads of names like that in football

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
ITK: He had some serious suitors. Coaching staff were desperate to get him signed onto professional terms. The club purchased him and his family a house in Manchester and he finally signed.
I have known for some time Shola is being promoted. The coaching staff were just waiting for him to sign the contract. He's not going to be suddenly promoted to the first-team squad. Posters who think he's not good enough can relax. This is just basically training and being around better players to either speed up their development and how they cope mentally and physically training with better players.

Snafu17

Players and player relatives joining in and actively participating in any kind of online debate where they/their loved ones will be subject to often times cruel and unfair criticism seems like a bad idea.

Publicly airing your criticism of academy staff's coaching decisions is also not a great start.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have known for some time Shola is being promoted. The coaching staff were just waiting for him to sign the contract. He's not going to be suddenly promoted to the first-team squad. Posters who think he's not good enough can relax. This is just basically training and being around better players to either speed up their development and how they cope mentally and physically training with better players.
Now that we have his dad on the caf, we should get good updates. Hopefully we do. :D

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Anyone else likely to get promoted?

Glorio

Needs to be allowed to develop in the u23s though, as I said in the match thread, still a baby and has some way to go in his physical development before talk of the first team and all the pressure that brings.

I like his connection with Amad... Sometimes it seemed Amad was looking for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Playing up and as a #10 behind Mipo Odubeko, Shola scored 66 (and 6 more in a 6-a-side Torno abroad) for the U15s. All reported and videotaped in Academy’s PMS. Before that he played as a striker scoring goals for fun. Again, all recorded. Shola has won more trophies home and abroad than anyone else at academy level. At international level, he played his own age for England U15s v Turkey. He scored a hat trick in 15 minutes and coaches took him off. Shola is a striker/ACM. Yes, United coaches have now removed the shackles as he has signed his contract and they no longer need to hide his talent in U18s/U23s games by asking him to help full-backs whilst the team attack with Hannibal/Elanga in the middle/opposite end. Thank God!
Thanks for the detailed response. Interested to see what the future holds for him.

Glorio

I have been watching you guys for a couple of years. So stop it! By the way, I am Shola’s dad.
Wow ... if this is the case, honestly it just goes to show that all these players, including the first teamers, are humans like us with families that care for them, in most cases, they're young too.

So while feeling the need to spew disrespectful bile at anyone really, maybe after a bad loss - spare a thought that these views could actually be getting to them.

If I were a family member, I'd shield whoever it was from these parts to be honest.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That’s a good read, please do share more of his scoring record in youth level and his playing style anytime. He does look quite promising lately, hope he goes on and keep doing it, even when he progress to higher level later on. Oh and it’s good to have his dad here, welcome!

Prodigal7

Quick question. Was the speculation in the press about PSG, Juve, Bayern, Barca etc making offers for Shola true?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Congratulation with the new contract! I hope he does well. Looks like a huge talent and a good kid (based on how he conduct himself on the pitch).

Regarding helping fullbacks, I think he might have to do that for the rest of his carrier!:)

Would not care much about the people on the caf. Most of them would not recognize Messi if they saw him. A huge amount was mad when we were linked to Sadio Mane as they did not consider him good enough!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Congratulation with the new contract! I hope he does well. Looks like a huge talent and a good kid (based on how he conduct himself on the pitch).

Regarding helping fullbacks, I think he might have to do that for the rest of his carrier!:)

Would not care much about the people on the caf. Most of them would not recognize Messi if they saw him. A huge amount was mad when we were linked to Sadio Mane as they did not consider him good enough!
That's not true. Even my grandma recognises Messi and she knows nothing about football.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This guy right?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's not true. Even my grandma recognises Messi and she knows nothing about football.
That's true.. :lol:

But I agree with Anders about Mane, lots never wanted him including Van Dijk who some said was all physicality and pace.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Literally every post of yours is either shitting on our academy, McNeil and now Shoretire in this forum.
Harsh, it’s a dollop of realism. There is a huge gulf in between this level and first team. With the exception of Diallo, none of this lot will be anywhere near the first team until next season at least

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Not sure he can make it based on his name alone.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I joined this forum to tell Bigsid, Mickson, Adnan, Beaucoup, etc to stop belittling Shola. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for deliberately slagging off some of our Great Academy boys and their hardworking coaches. We all need to support our boys for better/worse! And I do know that some of the boys read your comments.
There’s nothing wrong with setting and talking about realistic expectations for these kids. If they keep working hard they will get chances but let’s not fill their head with nonsense. The PL is a massive difference from play u23

Mickson

I joined this forum to tell Bigsid, Mickson, Adnan, Beaucoup, etc to stop belittling Shola. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for deliberately slagging off some of our Great Academy boys and their hardworking coaches. We all need to support our boys for better/worse! And I do know that some of the boys read your comments.
Haha, what? All I have said is that he's not set the world on fire (so far) at U23 and should play a few U18 games. In almost every post, I have highlighted that he is a great talent and a very gifted footballer, which he is. Very few make it at United though. I will always support Shola and obviosly want him to succeed and become as good as possible, just like every United player. Good to see him train with the first team. Hannibal next and hopefully more will follow.

prateik

The guy joined the forum 4 years ago because he knew someone on the caf would be less than complimentary about his 13 year old son in 4 years time.

what a man.

edit: infinitely more impressive considering Bigsid hadn't joined the caf at that time.. but our hero saw the future.

Tallis

He looks like a serious talent to me. The way he controls the ball in tight spaces. If he keeps developing, I expect we will hear a lot about him in the years to come. I am not bothered by his perceived lack of end product - I think that will come as he settles and develops more.

GueRed

Some people take youth football a bit too seriously (in a bad way) imo.

Every final score seems to be the be all and end all to some. Every player is either shit or the next big thing, its black or white, never in between.

TBH they come across as if they haven't watched alot of youth football or have just simply forgot these players are still kids in the infancy of their careers still developing as human beings and young professionals with what all that entails.

Then you get some who expect a class of 92 or something every year and vent out their frustrations when the kids fail to live up to their unrealistic expectations. They need to chill.

As for young Shola (i only watch under 23s and the occasional youth cup game these days). From what i've seen of him this season he has done well.
Not outstanding or anything thus far but noway near as bad some folks have described him here. I think he is adjusting to this level really well, he's obviously talented. It was very nice to see him get a hat-trick the other day and shut up a few of his critics here especially that AltiUn who had a go at me when i defended the kid the other week.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Every final score seems to be the be all and end all to some. Every player is either shit or the next big thing, its black or white, never in between.

TBH they come across as if they haven't watched alot of youth football or have just simply forgot these players are still kids in the infancy of their careers still developing as human beings and young professionals with what all that entails.

Then you get some who expect a class of 92 or something every year and vent out their frustrations when the kids fail to live up to their unrealistic expectations. They need to chill.

As for young Shola (i only watch under 23s and the occasional youth cup game these days). From what i've seen of him this season he has done well.
Not outstanding or anything thus far but noway near as bad some folks have described him here. I think he is adjusting to this level really well, he's obviously talented. It was very nice to see him get a hat-trick the other day and shut up a few of his critics here especially that AltiUn who had a go at me when i defended the kid the other week.
I've said that I was harsh, unnecessary, and OTT, there was no need for it. I'll show more restraint in future. I did delete the comment on the day because it was embarrassing from my perspective.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
There’s nothing wrong with setting and talking about realistic expectations for these kids. If they keep working hard they will get chances but let’s not fill their head with nonsense. The PL is a massive difference from play u23
It's not about this post and this thread though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

AltiUn IMO is one of the most balanced posters that I've come across on here. I don't know which post you're specifically referring to but from my experience the poster in question is a good poster and his/her posts reflect that.

And apart from Bigsid whose posts were harsh, the rest of the posters like @Mickson etc were fair in their assessment of a young player.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Some "hilarious" banter aside from the previous posts. Daily Mail reporting that he has already started training with the first team since yesterday and will be there for quite sometime.

RUCK4444

Good stuff, he must be more talented than I thought from the little I’ve seen of him.

Hopefully he can mix it well with the first team lads and that will no doubt bring him on leaps and bounds.

DanClancy

He is a talent but he is a bit underwhelming in the U23 so far. Gets too much playing time. Reminds me of Lingard, good technique, a good link-up player, and can hold the ball but not much of a goal threat. Time on his side though but feels like he should play a few U18 games.
He got 1 goals and 5 assists in 18 games at U18 level last season, he's obviously not outgrown it and wasn't playing like someone who'd outgrown it last season either. For reference Gomes, who many often cite as the talent bracket Shoretire belongs to, had 12 goals and 6 assists in 21 apperances for the U18s in his debut season and he still had a few more seasons in the U18s despite his stats. If you want to look at a player who'd clearly outgrown U18 level look no further than Greenwood another, he scored 26 goals in 26 appearances, he only got moved up the season after and basically bypassed the U23s entirely.

Shoretire might well end up a fantastic player but I still think it was a step too soon for him, for whatever reason we didn't really give him enough time to find his feet at U18 level before moving him up. Whether this will be better for him in the long run remains to be seen.
Its absolutely baffling to me. Can only be due to agents or parents. I watched a bit in 18s last year and was average at best. In 23s he looks out of place. Had limited impact and is just over 3 months different to Hugill in age.

Clueless