Shooting at Charlie Hebdo HQ in Paris

Revan

Assumptionman
Suddenly when acts are carried out in the name of Islam all religions get drawn into this? Why don't we as a society condemn Islam just like we criticize the Catholic church for covering up child abuse? It's fecking sheepishness. Call a spade a spade.
Because all (Abrahamic) religions are built on blood.

Obviously at the moment Islam is easily the worst when it comes to this, but other religions, especially Christianity has a very violent history. To be fair to them though, these days they have been modernised and don't do much wrong. Bar teaching absolute horseshit at schools, influencing lawmakers to make absurd laws, probably starting wars at some states and at times bombing abort clinics. And yeah, on the rare cases killing children like the case in Norway.

Islam does this far more frequently though. Like in this particular case.

There is nothing wrong with religion, it's intolerance that is the problem.
Intolerance caused by religion.

Essaux

Good to see people out on Trafalgar Square.

Of course not a Muslim to be spotted. But dare to draw a cartoon of their prophet and they will parade every street in every city across the world and burn down embassies and kill people.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Doesn't help Muslims at all when their self-appointed 'community leaders' come out with shite like this -
(For those not bothered to listen, it's a Dr. Ali Salem of the Islamic Cultural Centre in Dublin basically warning that he will pursue legal action against anyone daring to tweet or publish the cartoons).
Law of Blasphemy... :lol: Okay, I'm done.

Feck Islam. With statements like these it more looks like a closed ****. Even the feckin Satanism went through quite reasonable reforms in comparison to this dumbfeckery.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Nope, not at all. PK was never going to incite violent reaction the way the cartoons did. Unfortunately, the current right wing nut jobs are trying their best to change that.
So, because PK makes fun of a religion which won't react that violently, it is OK?

I don't want to take this off-topic but the point I want to make is simple, going back to the bolded part of your initial quote by me. Freedom of speech's importance is paramount in a civilized society and in a civilized world. If extremists from a particular religion can react violently like this, questioning 'how important the freedom of speech is' is not right. This extremism should be curbed by those nations where it is growing or by others coming together, whichever way needed. "Is freedom of speech that important" question doesn't get asked in India about PK or nude paintings of Hindu deities by M.F. Hussain before because we know reaction won't be that violent. In the end, it is double standards for different religions.

Essaux

Watch our politicians come out tomorrow with garbage statements about "Islamophobia" and how we need to remain calm and they will continue doing feck all about the very serious Islamic extremist threat.

How about stop babbling about Islamophobia and start talking about Westernphobia that is clearly very much present amongst vast amounts of Muslims around the world?

How about that Leadership?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

Of course not a Muslim to be spotted. But dare to draw a cartoon of their prophet and they will parade every street in every city across the world and burn down embassies and kill people.
The picture isn't working. But how do you know there's not a muslim to be spotted? I assume it's because you can't see any brown people? I think we've come to the crux of your problem with islam.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
If it's carried out in your name, should we blame you for it then?
If he had written a book in which he had set out that the penalty for blasphemy is death, then yes.

Essaux

The picture isn't working. But how do you know there's not a muslim to be spotted? I assume it's because you can't see any brown people? I think we've come to the crux of your problem with islam.
You do know Islam isn't a race. You're racist for assuming that is my problem, whilst it isn't. I'm brown myself and I read and speak arabic.

Insults removed by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
**** ***. You do know Islam isn't a race. You're racist for assuming that is my problem, whilst it isn't. I'm brown myself and I read and speak arabic.

-ed. watch out for quoted warned posts, Doris!
You can make your point without the first two words of your post tbf

Last edited by a moderator:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If he had written a book in which he had set out that the penalty for blasphemy is death, then yes.
Can you quote Qur'an on blasphemy, especially the part where it says that penalty for it should be death.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He is ridiculous. Maybe he hates muslims so much that he can smell them just from the picture.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Watch our politicians come out tomorrow with garbage statements about "Islamophobia" and how we need to remain calm and they will continue doing feck all about the very serious Islamic extremist threat.

How about stop babbling about Islamophobia and start talking about Westernphobia that is clearly very much present amongst vast amounts of Muslims around the world?

How about that Leadership?
What are they going to do, condemn Islam en masse? These kind of terrorists are frequently labelled "islamic extremists" by those in power, wars have been fought against them and leaders of popular movements assassinated and imprisoned (occasionally indefinitely). "Islamophobia" is real, even though I hate the term, in that people do take the actions of the few and apply it to the many. What we've seen of late in Germany and France is evidence of that. I don't like religion in general at all, but I absolutely despise the stigmatising of groups of people. It's extremely dangerous and shouldn't be stood for.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yes? You can't give me an example of where this is happening.
Yes what? Yes it needs to be war? Which I wasn't saying. Or yes tension, conflict and the matter of which interpretation is the right one is now solved?

Again, you're obviously fishing for an Irish-flavoured discussion, which I don't see the point of, as you've just taken one bracketed aside too literally whilst ignoring everything else in the post.

Last edited:

itso 7

America has been radicalized?
Not radicalized in the jihadist sense but the way Bush was able to push through the agenda for the war in Iraq tells me that he wouldn't have received the support he got then if it weren't for 9/11. Maybe radicalized is too strong a word but what happened then from the war, Guetanamo, the torture etc would not have been possible without those attacks. What they did was prepare the whole country to be willing followers of the Bush doctrine or may have helped craft it. My point was these attacks give legitimacy and a willing audience to right wing hardliners, who are radical in their own way.

VP

But that right there is the problem. The fact cartoons can incite violent reaction is not in any way an acceptable situation. If those cartoons aren't created because of that reason, no one would be challenging that situation and it becomes the norm.
So, because PK makes fun of a religion which won't react that violently, it is OK?

I don't want to take this off-topic but the point I want to make is simple, going back to the bolded part of your initial quote by me. Freedom of speech's importance is paramount in a civilized society and in a civilized world. If extremists from a particular religion can react violently like this, questioning 'how important the freedom of speech is' is not right. This extremism should be curbed by those nations where it is growing or by others coming together, whichever way needed. "Is freedom of speech that important" question doesn't get asked in India about PK or nude paintings of Hindu deities by M.F. Hussain before because we know reaction won't be that violent. In the end, it is double standards for different religions.
Obviously the fact that it incites a violent reaction isn't acceptable at all. We have to change this but until then people shouldn't be dying over a cartoon. The other point is that many people were genuinely offended by the cartoons and doing something which hurts so many people - while legal - is still not very nice. (I always wonder though, why so many people got so offended - surely your faith cannot be affected by a cartoon?)

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Not radicalized in the jihadist sense but the way Bush was able to push through the agenda for the war in Iraq tells me that he wouldn't have received the support he got then if it weren't for 9/11. Maybe radicalized is too strong a word but what happened then from the war, Guetanamo, the torture etc would not have been possible without those attacks. What they did was prepare the whole country to be willing followers of the Bush doctrine or may have helped craft it. My point was these attacks give legitimacy and a willing audience to right wing hardliners, who are radical in their own way.
I think we've actually got less awful right wing hardliners than before. At least less prominent. I think if America was radicalized there couldn't have been a biracial president named Barack Hussein Obama.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

:lol: You can reliably see about 15 people in that photo. Some of which may be Muslim. You have absolutely no idea what faith any of those people are. Your posts are incredibly arrogant and uninformed.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Yes or No depending on what my teachings were. Either way my connection is undeniable whether it's unfortunate or right.
Well Islam's teachings are against killing people, so you can't blame Islam for it. You can just blame idiots who use their interpretation of Islam as an excuse(which is obviously going well for them considering people like you are blaming religion for this more than they are blaming idiots who actually did it).

NoLogo

Fecking hell what a disaster. I'm pretty sure that won't help calm the rising fear of Islam in Europe. I guess the only ones celebrating right now are Europe's far right parties who will get even stronger after this. I don't even want to know how strong le Front national will get after this.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
:lol: You can reliably see about 15 people in that photo. Some of which may be Muslim. You have absolutely no idea what faith any of those people are. Your posts are incredibly arrogant and uninformed.
Cmmon Zarlak, there is obviously no Muslim people there. I can see 18 Christians, 3 Jews, 6 atheists, and I am not sure about that bloke on the right, he seems like a Scouser, but definitely no Muslims there.

Ainu

Obviously the fact that it incites a violent reaction isn't acceptable at all. We have to change this but until then people shouldn't be dying over a cartoon. The other point is that many people were genuinely offended by the cartoons and doing something which hurts so many people - while legal - is still not very nice. (I always wonder though, why so many people got so offended - surely your faith cannot be affected by a cartoon?)
Surely you see the contradiction in the bolded statement? The only way to change that situation is by continuing to create those cartoons, which in this case led to their death. There is no other weapon against it. Also, people are too easily offended.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Feck you. You do know Islam isn't a race. You're racist for assuming that is my problem, whilst it isn't. I'm brown myself and I read and speak arabic.
Then how are you so sure there's not a muslim to be seen in that picture? Do you expect them to be holding massive placards above their heads identifying themselves as muslim?

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Can you quote Qur'an on blasphemy, especially the part where it says that penalty for it should be death.

“The hypocrites fear lest a Soorah (chapter of the Qur’aan) should be revealed about them, showing them what is in their hearts. Say: ‘(Go ahead and) mock! But certainly Allaah will bring to light all that you fear.’

If you ask them (about this), they declare: ‘We were only talking idly and joking.’ Say: ‘Was it at Allaah, and His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and His Messenger that you were mocking?’

Make no excuse; you disbelieved after you had believed”

[al-Tawbah 9:64-66]
This is one of many passages considered by the scholars to mean that a blasphemer is a kafir, and as you know, the penalty for apostasy in Islam is death - I'm sure you don't require me to post evidence from the Quran of this fact. And in the Hadith, here is a passage from a translation of the prescribed punishments of the Sunan Abu Dawood collections.

A blind man had a slave-mother who used to abuse the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and disparage him. He forbade her but she did not stop. He rebuked her but she did not give up her habit. One night she began to slander the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and abuse him. So he took a dagger, placed it on her belly, pressed it, and killed her. A child who came between her legs was smeared with the blood that was there. When the morning came, the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) was informed about it.

He assembled the people and said: I adjure by Allah the man who has done this action and I adjure him by my right to him that he should stand up. Jumping over the necks of the people and trembling the man stood up.

He sat before the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and said: Apostle of Allah! I am her master; she used to abuse you and disparage you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not abandon her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was my companion. Last night she began to abuse and disparage you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her.

Thereupon the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Oh be witness, no retaliation is payable for her blood.
http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/abudawud/038-sat.php#038.4348

Obviously this is evidence of Muhammad approving of the execution of the woman who mocked him.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So will the french now side against isis instead of aiding them against syria ?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I still don't know where I stand on this. Freedom of speech is important but is it that important?

If you know saying something - especially with the intention to offend - would result in people dying, should you still say it?
Then take it from someone who doesn't enjoy much of it- it is worth every drop of blood spilt in it's defence!
Well said itso. I really don't understand people's "is it worth it?" response... so many people have fought and died for their freedom and people do them a disservice by dismissing the gains.

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

And you can tell because there's no brown people there?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Am I right in saying that Islam as a whole has not adjusted to living in the western world? France for me is an example of muslims "French by citizenship" (Algeria etc), moving to a westernised country, only to find out that it has a different way of life, to which they do not like.

Seems to me like radical Islam(and sometimes even moderate Islam) simply cannot adjust to a free society, press and the other parts that go with it.. Seems like stubborness to adjust to a new way of life to me, and reacting harshly and violently as a result. The same can be said for that crisis in Australia and many other places in the western world.

Moonred

Well Islam's teachings are against killing people, so you can't blame Islam for it. You can just blame idiots who use their interpretation of Islam as an excuse(which is obviously going well for them considering people like you are blaming religion for this more than they are blaming idiots who actually did it).
Yes I am blaming the people too. But without religion, the excuse to kill people would have been one less. There is absolutely no denying this. There are plenty of reasons why the world is in a mess, one of them unquestionably is the concept of religion/God.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Given you are right that Islam isn't a race and deserves criticism, this is an incredibly stupid post to make.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Yes what? Yes it needs to be war? Which I wasn't saying. Or yes tension, conflict and the matter of which interpretation is the right one is now solved?

Again, you're obviously fishing for an Irish-flavoured discussion, which I don't see the point of, as you've just taken one bracketed aside too literally whilst ignoring everything else in the post.
Mockney, just give me an example. Don't need to get all James Murdoch at the phone hacking enquiry defensive on me. And yes, the Irish example is pointless, because it isn't based on religion, beyond that I don't know of anything else ongoing that might be referred to as a Catholic/Protestant war or tension.