Should DDG start in the EL final?

Who should be in goal for the Europa League Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The very first reply to my post, you seemed to be inferring I thought Romero was better than De Gea, when I never said that or even implied it.
Well, yes. Because at the time that you said "it's a fair point" no one had actually acknowledged that Romero not being too bad and De Gea not being his best didn't equate to Romero and De Gea being similar in quality, so I made the distinction as clearly as I could. I wasn't inferring you thought it, just reinforcing how ridiculous people were being, and that the points I'd been responding to were not in fact, 'fair'.

manunited1919

You believe Marca, Madrid's mouthpiece. Romero has played majority of EL games, nothing in it... Don't believe the rumours.
I don't believe them, but it's pretty hard not to know that the rumors are going off again about DDG. In any case, we will be fine with or without him.

AXVnee7

Well done Jose for his trust in Romero. Players aren't robots, despite what some would have you think.

Redlyn

Romero he has come this far. Ddg is a great player but Romero has been as good so should keep his place.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
DDG's our best player IMO which is why I believe he should start, that said Romero has been good this season so no reason to worry if he's in net. Keeper is the least of our issues.

Revan

Assumptionman
You'd think Romero used to be the reserve goalie at Stoke, and was only signed by United because his grandfather was Sir Bobby, going by some of the opinions on here.

Calm doon, he's a good keeper.
He used to be reserve goalie for Sampdoria and Monaco before we signed him. He played 20 matches in the last two seasons (combined) before he came here.

He's a good keeper, nothing special. De Gea is probably the best in the world.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Pantilimon's loan deal was made permanent for a fee in the region of £3 million. He was contracted to City until 2016.[11] During the 2012–13 FA Cup, he kept four clean sheets in a row and managed an outstanding performance against Chelsea in the semi-final, conceding just one goal in five matches. In response to this performance, then City manager Roberto Mancini immediately promised that the Romanian would keep his place when the team return to Wembley Stadium to face Wigan Athletic on 11 May.[12] However, he was a substitute in the final, with Joe Hart starting; Manchester City lost to Wigan 1–0.[13] It was later revealed that Mancini had promised on the eve of the FA Cup Final that the Romanian would play, but then deputed the goalkeeping coach on match day morning to say there had been a change of plan.[14]

Don't do a Mancini

PaulRich

Romeros put a cracking shift in this season but De Gea should be starting this one. Harsh I know, but he's our strongest player in that position and this is our biggest game in the last four seasons at least.

lysglimt

Scout
No - but DDG should have been given a chance earlier. As things stand now, you can't let Romero play every single game, more or less without a single error, and then drop him in the final.

Acole9

Outstanding
So Romero it is then. I voted De Gea purely because we should be looking to field our best team for this final which is our biggest game in recent years.

Mike09

I can't believe Mourinho said that De Gea and Romero are on the same level. One is world class and the other one is okay. Completely different level. If we really want to win it then we should play our strongest possible XI and De Gea is a world class keeper means should be in the category of our strongest possible XI.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why is anyone surprised. Romero played a big role in getting us to where we are and is not going to get dropped for his efforts.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I can't believe Mourinho said that De Gea and Romero are on the same level. One is world class and the other one is okay. Completely different level. If we really want to win it then we should play our strongest possible XI and De Gea is a world class keeper means should be in the category of our strongest possible XI.
That's a bit harsh, don't you think?? Romero's done a lot better than ok this season and he fully deserves his place in the final. Jose has already said this is massive for us. Do you really think with everything at stake he would put Romero in goal if he was just "ok" ? I'm certainly not worried about our goalkeeper situation.

Romero's really in a no-win situation here, which is a bit unfair on the guy. Our strongest possible XI are already injured or suspended. There isn't much difference between the goalies this season either.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Heart says Romero
Head says DeGea

Not really the time for sentiment, we desperately need top four, and with the defence we will have to play, we have better chances of winning with De Gea playing.

If this was the league cup final then yeh, definitely Romero, but this game can potentially sink us or propel us back to the elite bracket simply because of CL Qualification.

Mike09

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?? Romero's done a lot better than ok this season and he fully deserves his place in the final. Jose has already said this is massive for us. Do you really think with everything at stake he would put Romero in goal if he was just "ok" ? I'm certainly not worried about our goalkeeper situation.

Romero's really in a no-win situation here, which is a bit unfair on the guy. Our strongest possible XI are already injured or suspended. There isn't much difference between the goalies this season either.
He has done very well this season. But I am talking about overall their career. Romero isn't an actual top class keeper that's why I called him an ok keeper. While De Gea is a world class and still a world class. I am sure Romero knows that he's just our no 2 and we should play De Gea because he's a type of keeper that can win us a game not just being a goalkeeper who does the job.

I am talking about how important this final is and it's better and safe if we go for the best keeper that we got which is De Gea.

chb23

Romero should start. He's done well in the games he's played and while the final is important, it was also important to get there, especially the last 2 games.

We didn't replace Romero in those important games to get us into the final so why should we replace him now.

Mike09

Romero should start. He's done well in the games he's played and while the final is important, it was also important to get there, especially the last 2 games.

We didn't replace Romero in those important games to get us into the final so why should we replace him now.
Why should we ignore someone who is and has been proven to be much better than Romero when he's available in the important game like this?

Aza Boy

Without our probably the fastest and best CB..facing speedsters in Young Ajax...playing with slow midfielders...with Brainless-NonStop-Dribbler...and some posters here keep insisting Romero...ahhh...deary me...I give up...

Perhaps, I say a different game last night against Spurs..Even with those saves, DDG does not deserve to play in EL final, some posters say...

I give up...Hope Romero plays the blinder against Ajax Speedsters...and hope Smalling-Jones are being possessed by Vidic-Rio spirit...hope Mkhirtayan reincarnates Giggs dribbling, hope Rashford and Martial become Yorke-Cole duet...hope our slow midfielders, Carrick-Hererra-Fellaini turn to Petit-Makelele-Deschamp...a lots of hope...

And hope that some posters here, who blindly defense the argument that Romero will save our ass, not crying if we are loose...Oh I forget, they must blame our defensive lines, and saying it is not Romero's fault...

Come on United...If we lack in quality, we still have a shot of lucky...

Rusholme Ruffian

So DDG not in tonight's squad apparently - which makes sense to keep Romero sharp for next week. Imagine if Romero has a stinker tonight of Massimo Taibi proportions....would/should that change Jose's thinking for the final? Defence is going to be pretty makeshift and nervy as it is...

AXVnee7

Remember when playing Romero was a risk, and a bizarre decision? :lol::rolleyes:

Roger777

Remember when playing Romero was a risk, and a bizarre decision? :lol::rolleyes:
Yes. Luckily for us he's stepped up to the plate. May have something to do with the fact he's got Laurel and fecking hardy playing in front of him.... :wenger:

Roger777

Yes. Luckily for us he's stepped up to the plate. May have something to do with the fact he's got Laurel and fecking hardy playing in front of him.... :wenger: