Should DDG start in the EL final?

Who should be in goal for the Europa League Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yes, for crying out loud. Do we need to lose the final because of sentiment?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. feck sentimentality. We need this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yes.

We aren't good enough to bench one of our few world class players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our best players should be playing. So yes.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes. feck niceties. Play the best team, especially now our best CB is suspended.

Ixion

We shouldn't risk the success of the club because we feel sorry for Romero. De Gea is simply a better player and a match winner

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Yes, a lot of pressure could have been taken off the team tonight by Romero just catching the ball instead of punching everything and we will need our best team out there as bailly is out now.

AXVnee7

Why punish Romero who hasn't put a foot wrong all tournament? Made some really good saves today and couldn't do anything about the goal.

Zii

Yes, for crying out loud. Do we need to lose the final because of sentiment?
It's not about sentiment. De Gea hasn't been great this season and it sends a horrible message to the squad on the day

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's not about sentiment. De Gea hasn't been great this season and it sends a horrible message to the squad on the day
De Gea has been fine. It sends out the message to the team that the best players will play.

Ixion

He got voted the best keeper in the league by his peers.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Play Romero: Win=Great, Lose= Showed Respect
Play de Gea: Win=Great, Lose= Prick Move

Romero deserves it. De Gea might just piss off this summer anyway.

Rightnr

Give me an example of De Gea 'not being great'. Where has he made a mistake that has cost us?

He catches and distributes better than Romero. He inspires confidence and with our defence playing a second string, we simply have to play the better goalkeeper.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why punish Romero who hasn't put a foot wrong all tournament? Made some really good saves today and couldn't do anything about the goal.
His job is to be played when it suits us and dropped when it suits us. It isn't punishing Romero because it isn't about Romero, it's about the team.

ilovethisgameahahah

Give me an example of De Gea 'not being great'. Where has he made a mistake that has cost us?

He catches and distributes better than Romero. He inspires confidence and with our defence playing a second string, we simply have to play the better goalkeeper.
Both Arsenal goals. Was off his line for no need for the first and had an easy catch for the second if he came out for it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Of course, he should. He is our best keeper, and that is by far the most important match of the season. A match that defines if this season was successful, or was the worst season in the last three years and just slightly better than Moyes' one.

We need all the tools we have to win the match, and having one of the top 2-3 keepers in the world is a very powerful tool. Not using it is absolutely idiotic.

But then, Mourinho has made a bunch of idiotic decisions this season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the bench. And start with 6 in the back to compensate.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
It would be harsh on Romero but we should be playing our best players it what is now our biggest game of the the season so DDG should start for me.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Its a harsh call but we need our best players to win the cup so no time for sentiment, DDG has to play to give us the best chance of winning this cup.
Besides with Bailly now banned for the final I think Jose will pick Dave for that added protection at the back.

Ixion

Romero has been playing against midtable level opposition. People are making far too much out of his performances. De Gea is by far the better of the two.

Rightnr

Both Arsenal goals. Was off his line for no need for the first and had an easy catch for the second if he came out for it.
I mean this is just nonsense. A fluke deflection and not saving a point-blank header is now considered not being great?

It just shows the man is measured with a different stick than Romero. The world class one. Play our best keeper and don't feel regret if we lose the final is what I say.

AXVnee7

His job is to be played when it suits us and dropped when it suits us. It isn't punishing Romero because it isn't about Romero, it's about the team.
Except he's not a machine. He's is human. You do know that right?

I've said this before. If there's any manager who would agree with that assertion it would be Mourinho. But he's stuck with him thus far so maybe there's more to it. Maybe he actually values his goalkeeping contribution... Just a thought.

Roboc7

DDG is better keeper and he has to start, think Jose will pick him.

King Eric 7

He doesn't deserve to get yanked for the final. Hasn't put a foot wrong in the competition and it sends out the wrong message to the team. Although he's only our no. 2 goalie, he's a pretty decent one and I wouldn't want to alienate him by dropping him for the final. He's the guy who will probably be with us long after De Gea has upped and left.

Trizy

50/50 in votes so far.

I voted De Gea.

Romero has been great but we need our best XI playing the final. With Rojo, Baily, Zlatan out we need all the upgrades we can get.

John Johnson

There are two world class players in the squad and one of them is out for a year
Also now that we're without our best defender it's even more obvious De Gea should play

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Except he's not a machine. He's is human. You do know that right?

I've said this before. If there's any manager who would agree with that assertion it would be Mourinho. But he's stuck with him thus far so maybe there's more to it. Maybe he actually values his goalkeeping contribution... Just a thought.
Yes, he is human. He is also our second choice goalkeeper and has a minor role in the grand scheme of things. Frankly, I don't particularly care if being dropped hurts his feelings. It comes with the terrirtory.

If Mourinho genuinely rates Romero more than De Gea then we are really fecked as that is madness.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Romero is clearly a very very good backup keeper and he was probably promised that he'd play in the EL when the season started. If that is the case he should start the final as well, especially seeing as he hasn't really given Mourinho any reason to drop him.