Should Jose suffer the same fate....

Should Jose suffer the same fate if we fail to qualify for the CL ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
Say what you want about our league position, which is pretty terrible considering the money spent. But the Europa League really fecked us over, and although I'd love to win it for obvious reasons, I hope we don't end up involved in it for a very very long time.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Jose will stay! Nobody with a healthy mind suggest otherwise.

After three years of wilderness the club and the players needs stability. To make this necessary transition as smooth as possibly the club need a proven leader who has experienced this situation before.

Jose isn't the most innovative manager in the world, far from it. His approach is sometimes to negative and he's far to cautious, but ATM he's best suited to our needs.

From my perspective it looks like many of our players is under enormous pressure. Afraid of express themselves, nervous, often willing to take the easy route out of problems.

This problem is something Mourinho needs to address and improve next season. If he can't instal confidence and a positive approach until the end of next season then it's time to look for other options.

red4ever 79

Starting to feel indifferently about this now. He has to be given time, at least this summer transfer window to put things right. If we win the Europa then it can be considered a decent season. A major clear out is needed at the club, Jones, Smalling, Carrick, Rooney, Young just to start with.

I can accept rotation now at the end of the season to be prepared for the Europa final. However the performance level both of the team and individuals in the last 2 league games and the tactics has been nothing short of a disgrace. If we are still setting up like that next season, then the club will seriously have to look at it again. I accept they were not mainly he first team ,however the lack of effort, ability and desire was deeply worrying

If we are still setting up like that next season, then the club will seriously have to look at it again. I accept they were not mainly he first team ,however the lack of effort, ability and desire was deeply worrying
I didn't see a lack of effort yesterday at all, where are people getting this from?

Have you seen Tottenham's home record? And with a second string we still pushed them. Some poor defending on set pieces was all that cost us.

LLMU

I still think Jose is the best man to steady the ship and bring the club forward. Whether he remains long term or not is another matter. I will give him this summer to address the key positions that need changes and i believe the list is already with Woodward and we are already working towards it.

Maccataq

Absolutely not. We need consistency and we need a team that isn't an amalgamation of 4 different managers' players. If we bring in a new manager then we start all over again. If we don't qualify next season, then maybe.

If we end up in Europa League next season then I think we should probably completely de-prioritise it - the league cup too. They can be a springboard for our youth and squad players. If we're serious about winning the league again then we need to be at least top 3 next season to demonstrate progress.

Zii

No. The squad has been fecked by LVG and Moyes. He needs a couple of "stress free" years where he knows he can build a team without being sacked. Like potch had time.

There needs to be a clear plan and clear improvement but if we sack Jose now or next year for not getting top 4 we are done as a top club.

Jaxdan

I didn't see a lack of effort yesterday at all, where are people getting this from?

Have you seen Tottenham's home record? And with a second string we still pushed them. Some poor defending on set pieces was all that cost us.
That second goal (Kane's) I attribute more to great play on their part. Sometimes, the other team does well and just beats you.

Green_Red

I think you are correct although I think he will move on a few more perhaps 4 more and replace them with players for his 11 and then Fellaini Lingard and Blind will be more squad players than starters. Think a few have let him down this season Rooney Smalling Jones and Shaw being the main culprits and the disappointing thing is they are all unfortunately English players.
I have a feeling he'll give Shaw and Jones another crack at it. Jones deserves it for the effort and performances in the first half of the season. He was like a new signing. Shaw just because he is young and still has the potential.

kbbear

For me the season has been 6.5/10

Positives:

Jose's had the guts to phase out Rooney (the Caf has been calling for this for 3 years)
Our long unbeaten run had a lot of draws in it but maybe Jose was trying to instil "we can't be beaten mentality"
Winning 2 cups. Not the cups were used to but it keeps our name on trophies.

Negatives:

Calling out players to the press over form and injuries. I think it could have a negative effect on new players coming here.
Jose putting all his eggs in one basket. We absolutely must win the Europa cup. Otherwise Jose and the club would
have a torrid time getting over a defeat.
Virtually giving up on top four so early. What happened to the motivational tactic of saying "the remaining league games give others a change to stake a claim for the Cup final team"?
Jose's comments after the defeat to Arsenal. If they get top four and we lose the final Jose will be looking incredible silly.

Initially I was hoping for comfortable top four finish in Jose's first season. Then strong title challenge in his secondseason at least staying in the hunt until
March/April. Feeling is we are a year behind what I'd hoped for.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've said no in the poll. however if we lose the europa final and don't get top four next season, my guess is the board will axe him a year early

Lentwood

Good post, we do not have a divine right to be in the top 4, and sadly lots of people on here have been so spoilt this past 20 odd years and think we do.

It is going to take time, and work and commitment to get us to the level that Chelsea and Spurs are at now. Mourinho is building it and I'm with the minority on here, I'm patient and enjoying watching him build it.
Luckily I don't think we are in a minority per se' - I just think like with anything on the Internet the trolls/WUMs etc...get more airtime

Let's be honest, there is a long, long list of people who can be blamed for our current problems (including in no small part SAF) and Jose is well down the list at this point in time

Yagami

Good post resistant
This season has gone better than expected but I still feel disappointed. A lot is down to José himself, some isn't. Even if we lose against Ajax I wouldn't be in favour of giving him the boot.

Next year, though I still don't expect us to play more "pleasing" football against the big teams, and I'd be surprised if we won the league, I still feel like José deserves at least another half a season or so to show he's the right man for the job regardless.

BebétheBest

We had 2 shots on goal I believe in 96 minutes. We came out onto the pitch looking like a team who knew their manager had already made his excuses to explain our defeat and barely seemed to register an interest in the game from the sideline.

It wasn't just poor defending on set pieces at all, they could quite easily have scored 4 or 5. We only looked like a team towards the end when Spurs had taken their foot off our throat and Ander+Rash made an impact.

shield

I think, no matter what he had done, this season would still have ended the way it has. Had he tried to attack with what we have, he would have got a few more praises (like Pep), but we would have still looked clueless ahead and would have ended up conceding a ton.

I am not a fan of his defensive tactics, but still think that he should be given more than a season atleast, no matter what the result of the EL final is.

I cant help thinking back to the Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger signings. Think they really put us back. In Mourinho's system, the midfield is everything. They are the ones who will make us solid defensively and they are the ones who will make the quick transition to start the counter. Even if one of Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger had worked out, we would not have been in such a situation. We have been using Fellaini and Carrick far too often. They are good enough to contribute for a match or two, but both of them have made over 40 appearances in the PL alone (well above 50 if we combine EL, FA and PL). Adding just one competent midfielder will be enough to take us up a notch or two.

I think the main reason we want him is for two crucially important things:
- Phasing out Rooney. We need someone with a massive ego and huge credentials to properly phase him out. Someone like Moyes will only get bullied into handing him a new contract.
- Attracting the right players. Mourinho is still a huge name and people still respect (and fear) him. Players also think of him highly and so he is the right person to attract the correct players.

His playing style and other things don't matter so much. If he gets the players to perform his way then we will win the league, but even if he dosen't, with all the good players he will be adding, we will look pretty good anyway. Like Manchester City, who have very good players and so the manager is not that important and even Pellegrini had them player very attractive football.

He left Chelsea with a great bunch of players and they don't have to worry about managers so much. Like any manager having the counterattacking technique in mind, like Allegri, Simione, Marco Silva could have been very successful at Chelsea. Conte did not have to do anything special (not taking anything away from his PL win though).

If we just bear with him for some time, he will leave us with an excellent bunch of players, and even if he fails, someone else will easily be able to come and get us winning. Right now, things are a bit tricky. We still have Rooney lurking around, Carrick needs replacing, Fellaini/Lingard have made their place in the starting 11. If he leaves now, these problems will continue and I for one choose to bear with Mourinho if he can just rid us of all the underperforming players we have.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Ok, so my post was deleted in the Ajax buildup thread for apparently wumming. I was not, I was raising a very serious point about Jose and his double standards. The jist of it being Jose derided Rafa's EL win as meaningless as the competition itself was hardly worth thinking about for him.

I can post the BBC link (interview and everything) if mods will allow in this thread discussing "Should Jose suffer the same fate....". I hope reporters and journalists bring this up before the match as it is very valid.
You realise he made that comment before winning the Europa League meant Champions League qualification?

A club like United doesn't want to be in the Europa League but we are in it from Van Gaal's doing and Mourinho's going to try and win it. There are a plethora of reasons opposition fans can bash Mourinho with but you're really going to criticise him for getting to the final of a competition that another manager qualified the team for?

When Mourinho took over at Chelsea, he didn't want them to be qualifying for the Europa League, because it meant they had finished outside the top 4 or crashed out the Champions league i.e. Rafa. It's not really 'double standards' if you think about it properly.

Last edited:

Redlyn

I have a feeling he'll give Shaw and Jones another crack at it. Jones deserves it for the effort and performances in the first half of the season. He was like a new signing. Shaw just because he is young and still has the potential.
Yes like a new crock signing. He managed to make us forget that for a few months before reverting to type. We need fitter players.

Manny

Grammar Police
He should get sacked for pretending the Community Shield is a significant piece of silverware.

Son Of Sam

He has always won the title in his second season but i don't think he will this time. He is still a winner hence almost certainly winning United two trophies (with Jose's cup final record i can't see a young Ajax side shafting you) and his tactics can still be good in one off games as when we came to your place shows, but his relentless and driven nature over a long season seems to have gone. United's season this season is a typical Benitez at Liverpool season, no league consistency but doing well in the cup's.
He could have won the title easily this season but I still believe some of the players he trusted let him down big time. It's pretty easy to hang Jose judging by United's position on the table but the players must take the blame for that.

Have we improved under Jose? Evidence suggests so....

EPL CHANCES CREATED
12/13 Sir Alex - 438(86 goals)

13/14 Moyes - 389(64 goals)

14/15 LVG - 391(62 goals)

1516 LVG - 312(49 goals)

16/17 Jose - 425(52 goals)

If we have finished most of the chances created this season, we could have easily topped Chelsea. We are only 13 chances fewer than the last title winning team we had(with 2 games in hand) and yet we are sitting in the 6th position.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
No we'll run out of top managers eventually. Pep and Klopp are dead for us. The remaining top managers are Anchelloti ( who is failing with Bayern now ), Poch, Simeone and Allegri.
Please. Your board will crawl on broken glass to lick guardiolas turds if he is available once you sack mourinho.

MoskvaRed

Please. Your board will crawl on broken glass to lick guardiolas turds if he is available once you sack mourinho.
He'd only be available if City fire him, and City would be reluctant to do so given the amount of preparation work they put in before hiring him. So, most likely he would have to fail quite badly at City in order to be in contention for the United job, which would only reinforce the narrative that past successes owed at least as much to his stellar cast of players as to his abilities as a manager. And United's current cast of players is not exactly Barcelona 09-11 or recent Bayern Munich.

If Mourinho fails, most likely United will go for a Poch type rather than a ready made super-manager.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
If we lose the EL final especially if he sets up defensively I think he could be in big trouble honestly.
This is something I agree with. He will most probably still be allowed to continue next season, but the pressure from the fans will be completely different, the latitude to buy new players from the direction perhaps not so high, the man management will probably be harder and trickier even than now, and, then, if the season starts badly…

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups

You're right. It's the unashamed lack of attacking intent that annoys people, and rightly so.

TheRedHearted

as the previous two if we fail to qualify for the champions league?

There is a possibility that we could finish 6th, which will be our worst season since Moyes.
What worries me most is how nervous Mourinho seems all the time. When he started he had such a swagger and icy confidence. Same went for Louis his first season. Second season it was different. Nervous, Stern etc. a manager can't perform like that. I've never seen one not like that that didn't have a foot out the door. Honestly, who knows. After the biggest signing ever who knows what the board wanted. Imagine the shock if after winning EL they sack him and sign Simeone + Greizman

AlwaysRed66

Stop deluding yourself. Celtic win their Prem every year and other Scottish stuff as well. Does that make them good?
I know it doesn't make Celtic any good, but that is a bit of an unfair comparison, as the likes of Steve Keen, Alan Shearer or any other poor manager could do the same managing them.

AndyJ1985

He's going to be here in the summer no matter what, and he's going to continue rebuilding the turd of a team van Gaal left behind. What some people don't consider is that without a director of football, changing managers means we have a mishmash of players from different managers and that leaves us with a dysfunctional team. We need to stick with Jose and let him build his own team.

BebétheBest

What worries me most is how nervous Mourinho seems all the time. When he started he had such a swagger and icy confidence. Same went for Louis his first season. Second season it was different. Nervous, Stern etc. a manager can't perform like that. I've never seen one not like that that didn't have a foot out the door. Honestly, who knows. After the biggest signing ever who knows what the board wanted. Imagine the shock if after winning EL they sack him and sign Simeone + Greizman
He used to be good at using the press too. Now even the most docile of interviewers seem to dominate him leaving him looking foolish, particularly in post match interviews when there's usually tough questions to answer.

Him walking out of the post match interview after Spurs just looked weak, it was a basic question he ran away from.

LeCon

Supports
St Germain Le Fouilloux
Definitely not.

As i've posted in the newbies - the problem is not Mourinho. He cannot finish the multitude of chances that his strikers have had whilst playing his system. You have crushed people and just not quite found the net. An easy 10-12 points dropped which should have been 'cricket-score' wins.

I don't see what sacking him would achieve anyway - there is nobody else out there who can come in without another round of putting his own stamp on the team, his own rules, his own players, a couple of transfer windows etc.

Mourinho is a proven winner and you should stick by him.

Shinehead Dred

Fwiw I think no matter what posters feel about Mourinho he will be given his full tenure at the club. I think the board recognise that there currently isn't an available manager who can attract the type of players we need for project rebuild. Plus the guy has proved over the years that he is a proven winner. Whether that remains the case in the future.... only time will tell. But it's a gamble I think is worth taking.

We all knew we were hugely unbalanced as a team and he needed to change the makeup of the squad. But seriously how many was he going to replace from the get go?

Just like Mourinho some of these players won't be going anywhere until the end of next season at the very least. So some of the vilification of the usual suspects achieves very little imo. The price of that the players we need probably mean that we will get three or four at the most. 7-8 players don't make a squad to state the obvious. His current purchases have largely been good to varying degrees, and I trust him to buy quality signings that will significantly improve the squad next season. But even then I don't think that guarantees us a Premiership trophy, but nevertheless it would be a massive step in the right direction.

I would like Jose to be a success. We need a bit of stability and I think he could be that man. He needs his players and a bit of time. The signs are that we are slowly rolling in the right direction.

I don't think we have a god given right to expect glory on all fronts immediately, but ultimately I would settle for that comment that was always used when talking about the Premier League: "If you finish above Manchester United it usually means you've won the league"

What would be the worst case scenario? If Mourinho fails in the next year or two? At least we'll have a decent squad for the next bestest manager. Who ever he is......

frank lee madeer..

@frank lee madeer..

Would you have seriously gone full strength and risked injury on the hope that Liverpool drop points and that a weakened United without Rojo and Zlatan (and Pogba too) could win versus Arsenal, Spurs, Southampton away on the bounce squeezed in between Europa League games whilst all of these teams have a week of rest?

And if an important player or two picked up an injury in a loss to Spurs or Arsenal away, you'd be fine with that, despite massively hurting our EL chances because well, we gave it a go?
I never said anything about full strength, although , what is full strength ? 2 of Jose's most derided ( in the pre match thread ) team selections of the season , Chelsea home & Swansea away , turned in 2 of our better performances.

I've no issues with whatever starting 11 Jose decides to send out, my problem is the fact he goes out of his way to shout it from the rooftops that he is putting out a ' weak ' team , & that he doesn't really care about the league results anymore ?? Why the hell does Jose feel he has to share that sort of information with the watching world ? Is that supposed to be a positive ? What's happened to Jose's renowned motivational skills? It smacks of a man trying to absolve himself from blame before the act.

He wants his team's to play like warriors, yet he leads them by throwing in the towel?

I'm concerned with his behaviour to be honest. It doesn't even come across as ' Jose's mind games ' anymore. It just looks weak.

TheRedHearted

He used to be good at using the press too. Now even the most docile of interviewers seem to dominate him leaving him looking foolish, particularly in post match interviews when there's usually tough questions to answer.

Him walking out of the post match interview after Spurs just looked weak, it was a basic question he ran away from.
Yep. Quite sad to see Mou like this. I guess he's worried because it seems he's pretty sure if he misses CL it's his job. It seems that's what may have been agreed upon him and the higher ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.