Should Rashford make the England squad?

Theo88

How has Diallo looked with AWB behind him?

He has better advanced stats (dribbling, crossing, passing totals and accuracy) but obviously scored once? Better showing per 90 than Rash

Interestingly, Obi Wan Bissaka, has crossed the ball a total of 4 times all season :lol:
Trippier has 69 robertson 59 crosses.

How tf are these lads playing for us? :lol:

Red00012

Hopefully this is a wake up call for him but it probably won’t .

Castia

There’s probably very few to no City fans willing to swap Grealish for Rashford. Hes a winner and helped City win numerous titles, the state of Rashford’s attitude strolling around the pitch for City would last 2 games if he’s lucky.

No sympathy what so ever. Rashford has been dog shit in 2 of the past 3 seasons and to make it worse even putting his form to one side his work rate and attitude stink.

The Ireland incident coupled with the zero fecks attitude and lack of work rate and I’ve completely had it with Rashford. I’d sell him tomorrow if a bid came in.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No idea. I dont watch city.

Has Grealish stunk every ground he has played in out this season? Has he sulked his way around the country putting abject performance after abject performance in??

I am not sure why we’re comparing him to Grealish solely. He doesn’t deserve to be in the squad over any of the other players who can play there.
The comparison to Grealish is propbably fair.

On the one hand you have to applaud Southgate for not taking Rashford given his form and output this season. That said just shows how inconsistent a manager he is when other players previously have played like crap, not even in their team regularly yet are picked all the time.

If Rashford ends up staying, hope he stays away from the socials over summer. , goes nowhere near Dubai or Vegas, goes and gets his head sorted and comes back next season with a point to prove over this years performances.

mu4c_20le

He has better advanced stats (dribbling, crossing, passing totals and accuracy) but obviously scored once? Better showing per 90 than Rash

Interestingly, Obi Wan Bissaka, has crossed the ball a total of 4 times all season :lol:
Trippier has 69 robertson 59.

How tf are these lads playing for us? :lol:
That can't be true, I remember one game where he crossed the ball several times. Unless that was the only game.

Red00012

Feel bad for him. Feck Southgate but it's probably the correct decision.
Why do you feel bad? This is when happens you stroll around the pitch like you’re something you’re not. The sooner he fecks off the better

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
All the talk of form from Southgate, while correct, rings hollow when you look at the players he has left out. Solanke, Tomori, Ruben Lotus Cheek, Tyrick Mitchell to name but a few.

Not to mention he has left Trippier in there who has been dog shit all year.

Idxomer

He started something like 2 games in the 4 tournaments since he broke through at United.

His worst inclusion was making the squad in 2021 when he needed an operation. He postponed it till after his holidays and didn't play till October. He had a shocking season afterwards.

Theo88

That can't be true, I remember one game where he crossed the ball several times. Unless that was the only game.
Not sure; i'm using fotmob for stats i like the interface. Mind you this is successful crosses not the ones that hit Row Z.

Tiber

He didn't deserve to go. He also doesn't deserve his stratospheric salary, but that will be harder to resolve

Rojofiam

Where exactly have you witnessed this "pace and power"? I have seen a lost player mostly standing still before passing it back.
Won't change the fact that Gordon is the only wide runner in this squad, and Rashford is faster and more powerful than any winger that made the cut. Rashford is the perfect left sided player if you have Kane and Saka occupying the other 2 forward positions.

I just hope Gordon will start at least, as that will be some sort of reasonable explanation.

mu4c_20le

Not sure; i'm using fotmob for stats i like the interface. Mind you this is successful crosses not the ones that hit Row Z.
Here's the numbers from fbref, shows 14, same as last year. Interestingly though, over 100 in his first year under Ole, many of which were poor quality, but instead of developing him, maybe the coaches asked him to dial it down instead.

Superwoofer

Won't change the fact that Gordon is the only wide runner in this squad, and Rashford is faster and more powerful than any winger that made the cut. Rashford is the perfect left sided player if you have Kane and Saka occupying the other 2 forward positions.

I just hope Gordon will start at least, as that will be some sort of reasonable explanation.
Rashford's match against coventry was a genuine 0/10 without any hyperbole. Against championship defenders he could not even get past a single defender.

What is the point of "pace and power" when most of the time his technical ability is so donkey-like.

He should be far behind players like Eze let alone Gordon.

TheGame

All the talk of form from Southgate, while correct, rings hollow when you look at the players he has left out. Solanke, Tomori, Ruben Lotus Cheek, Tyrick Mitchell to name but a few.

Not to mention he has left Trippier in there who has been dog shit all year.
I agree with form but Tomori had a bad injury and hasn’t been his best for AC Milan. The others could have had a shot. Mitchell being a LB should have been in.

Theo88

Here's the numbers from fbref, shows 14, same as last year. Interestingly though, over 100 in his first year under Ole, many of which were poor quality, but instead of developing him, maybe the coaches asked him to dial it down instead.

Last post for today; that's the total attempted crosses. not the successful ones. I've cross checked with this:

Aaron Wan-Bissaka Stats - Goals, Blocks, xG & Career Stats | FootyStats

Scroll down to crosses check the success rate. Eye opening really as much as a like his spidey sense in tackling.

I know it looks horrendously low, but that's probably a tell-tell on how badly we lack creative WBs - Dalot isnt that crap but still not ideal.
One could argue that's down to how we play, but the reality is both Shaw and Dalot have higher numbers so much one would tell he just cant do it.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR

redshaw

Understandable considering his form and wasn't a first teamer under Southgate.

Still, off the bench Rashford has made an impact in the past for England, it's a little surprising he won't be there as an option but football can change quickly with other players emerging.

Rojofiam

Rashford's match against coventry was a genuine 0/10 without any hyperbole. Against championship defenders he could not even get past a single defender.

What is the point of "pace and power" when most of the time his technical ability is so donkey-like.

He should be far behind players like Eze let alone Gordon.
That is like saying he should be behind Maddison, Foden, or Palmer. None of those 3 play in his position, and neither does Eze. Yes, they're good players who have had great seasons other than maybe Maddison. But that's not what matters the most.

This is one of my most important points, actually. Southgate took four players who are most comfortable at #10, meanwhile the only left winger that suits the team is Gordon. How can you select only Gordon and Grealish as the left winger options, whilst taking all of Eze, Maddison, Palmer, and Bowen, just for them to get almost no minutes behind Saka, Bellingham, and Foden?

It's farcical planning from Southgate. What if Gordon gets injured? England will have zero transition threat if that happens. This squad is stacked with ball-to-feet number 10s and right wingers, whilst having only one runner type wide player out of 30 players. Starting Gordon ahead of Rashford is a decision I would accept. However, not having Rashford at least on the bench for 3 or 4 players of the same profile I cannot accept. None of Eze, Maddison, Palmer, Grealish or Bowen can change the game in the blink of an eye through a quick transition like Rashford can.

freddie the red

Form, attitude and discipline have been tripe this season, anybody think this might be the metaphorical slap in the chops he needs to wake himself the hell up?

Eplel

Not surprised he's not picked.

Not surprised by Southgates completely unbalanced pick either.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I think he took his England selection for granted to be honest thinking Southgate hasn’t got the minerals to leave him out. Must be a hit to his ego. Should be kick up the backside moment to finally wake up but I don’t think so.

Superunknown

I have no problems whatsoever with players being dropped for either club or country if their performances have been shite, or if their attitude has been anything less than great. Or, in this case, both. The very, very minimum you should expect from somebody who is paid to be a professional footballer is to have the right attitude. You turn up and be counted. I want to see him come back stronger and more willing to prove the doubters wrong, but we'll see. Not convinced that we'll see the reaction that we should see from him.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
God I miss the days when our fans got behind a player up was dumped on by England
He's not been dumped on, he's rightly been left out due to his prolonged lack of form and fans are agreeing with the decision while not wearing red tinted glasses. Can't see the problem myself.

black country red

He's not been dumped on, he's rightly been left out due to his prolonged lack of form and fans are agreeing with the decision while not wearing red tinted glasses. Can't see the problem myself.
Rashford is a big game player who has never let England down Man City’s party organiser has had an equally poor season and has done sweet fa in an England shirt in the squad I will always defend a united player over England no matter how lost the cause is and with your user name I thought you might more sympathetic to a fellow south manc red

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
God I miss the days when our fans got behind a player up was dumped on by England
I'd get behind a player that's giving it his all week in week out.
Then you have Rashford.
I cannot defend him and his attitude.

SER19

should be nowhere near their squad, nor near uniteds starting eleven. Its time for this adult to realise that in order to be picked, he has to actually perform to a basic level. its that simple.

Teja

During SAF times, most united fans would be ecstatic if none of our players went on internationals. feck NTs.
I still feel this way actually. He's one of those players that put in too much work over the past 3-4 years. He gets a kick up his arse and gets to have a decent rest for the first time in a while. Hopefully gets him motivated for the new season.

m1tch

Being English and in United's first 11 would normally make you a guaranteed pick for the national side, you'd generally have to retire to stop getting picked. Our current English contingent have really bucked that trend.

I can see how people could make a case on the basis of Southgate's unbalanced selections, but 12-18 months of poor form is really going to put off even the most limited of managers. Do we even know what the situation is with Rashford's fitness?

PSV

Rashford is a big game player who has never let England down
Guy was brought on with one purpose last Euros and failed miserably, so this is simply not true.

Anyway, he dumped Rashford for a while after his miserable 2021-22 season as well, so who knows, maybe he'll be on fire again this autumn. Here's to hoping so.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Rashford is a big game player who has never let England down Man City’s party organiser has had an equally poor season and has done sweet fa in an England shirt in the squad I will always defend a united player over England no matter how lost the cause is and with your user name I thought you might more sympathetic to a fellow south manc red
No other player has any relevance to Rashford. If it helps you though I'll write a couple of strongly worded emails to Southgate and the FA. Keep an eye open over the next few days to see if Marcus is added back in the squad. Ra ra, pip pip, c'mon team.

ryansgirl

Regardless of how much I like a United player, why should any player get selected for England if they`re not on form in their club and not delivering week in week out? England hasn`t won the World Cup since 1966 for a number of reasons but in the most recent decades some of it has been down to selecting names instead of form.

In the past under Sir Alex, United became the powerhouse it did because he demanded form and didn`t rely on reputation or big names. I think Marcus shouldn`t play internationally if he`s not delivering in the Premier League and I do think he should move to Paris St Germaine if they`re as interested as we are hearing. it seems he`s at the stage in his career where he can`t perform consistently at the level of the Premier League regardless of his talent and pride at wearing the red shirt.

Expectations will be high in Paris but the level is different and he`ll do better in a different lifestyle.