Should Rashford make the England squad?

RuudTom83

Kinda shocked but for the wrong reasons...I'm more shocked that waistcoat had the balls to drop Marcus more so than Marcus not being good enough to get into the squad.

For Marcus I don't think it's that big of a deal, Sancho is nowhere near the squad, Sterling is miles off it, he belongs in that company rather than the younger more hungry Gordon/Eze.

Also he can't have good memories from the last tournament after the penalty miss.

So all things considered 100% the correct decision.

Mainoonited

He doesn't deserve to go, but i wish he had gone and had a few decent games, hopefully bringing around a bid from PSG.

black country red

I think rashford should have still a good player ideal to come off the bench hasn’t had a really worse season than Man City’s official party organiser grealish who if he wasn’t at city wouldn’t be near the squad

EireRed_GS

Dropped, and rightly so. hes been awful all season. Ill admit though, im surprised Southgate had what it took to take the common sense approach.

Hopefully this gives him a boot up the hole for the cup final, where he wants to prove Southgate wrong. Unfortunately, going by how things have gone rest of the season, I fear it will be more a 'walking about feeling sorry for himself' response.

m1tch

Debut 8 years a go but still not broke into the squad.

Plenty of United players like this who think that half arsed commitment at club level won't affect their career.

always_hoping

The drop off from last year is huge when he was certain starter for the Euros. His form this season meant he simply didn't deserve to make the squad. Can only blame himself, moody all season and on social media attacking trolls and than focusing on the pitch to improve.

the_cliff

Doesn't deserve to make the squad over Gordon, Palmer and Eze anyway. Correct decision. Hopefully Southgate will have the balls to drop Hendo, Grealish and Phillips too.

wolvored

I am glad this has happened to Rashford. He simply has been awful for a lot of the season again, and maybe it will bring back his humility a bit.
I also cant understand Shaw being picked or Maguire for that matter. When did these last play?

the_cliff

I am glad this has happened to Rashford. He simply has been awful for a lot of the season again, and maybe it will bring back his humility a bit.
I also cant understand Shaw being picked or Maguire for that matter. When did these last play?
Wouldn't be surprised if he blames the club for this.

Red Royal

Maguire was a shoe in, he has had a better than expected season for himself personally and Southgate trusts him.

Marching On!

I guess it'll be a summer of beans beans beans I say what?! say beans beans beans with J-Lingz in Miami.

Wilt

Maguire was a shoe in, he has had a better than expected season for himself personally and Southgate trusts him.
Yes Maguire deserved to be selected, never stopped trying even when out of form. Maguire, Stones, Walker sure to start. Depends on fitness with Shaw.

IRN-BRUno

I'm not sure why there's any surprise. It's not as though Southgate is a massive fan, he's been dropped by him before and was barely used in the previous two tournaments.

He should have played more at the World Cup and subbing Sterling on ahead of him against France was one of the more absurd decisions you'll see but he came back and had the best few months of his career so it's not a guarantee that he'll sulk about it like people seem to expect either.

El Zoido

He doesn’t deserve to be in it, but at the same time he’s the sort of player that could really turn it on in the Euros.

lex talionis

Southgate made the correct decision. Regardless of what the excuses may be for Rashford, there was no reason to believe that he would suddenly reverse a miserable season.

thisisnottaken1

Deservedly dropped. He’s had an awful season. I wonder if this will light a fire under his arse and teach him that he can’t just be motivated by contract extensions.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I still find it kind of surprising, because us utd fans were witnesses of maguire being on the starting xi while he was the world meme for mistakes on the pitch. So maybe we kinda expected Southgate to select Rashy despite his horrendous form. Hes done it before

Marwood

He's had about two or three months of top form out of the last three years or so.

Him getting dropped is an obvious choice. It's just taking the pundits a really long time to work out what's going on with Rashford.

cj_sparky

He'd started 2 out of the 19 matches in the last 3 tournaments, both matches coming in the last group game and when nothing was riding on them. Played a grand total of 83 minutes of Euro 2020 coming off the bench in 5 of the 7 matches.

I don't think that Southgate really trusts him, still weirdly expected him to be included as his squads aren't usually on form or if a player is playing.

Red Royal

Because he never accepts blame for anything.
Could say the same about most football players and managers from any team. Hardly ever hear 'the better team won', 'I/we need to improve' etc. Not at the 'top' level anyway.

Aretak

He doesn’t deserve to be in it, but at the same time he’s the sort of player that could really turn it on in the Euros.
His record at international level isn't anything special. Partially due to Southgate seemingly not really rating or trusting him, but his only goals at a major tournament were against Iran and Wales. I'm not sure it's likely that he'd suddenly turn into Mbappe following the worst season of his career.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's actually crazy how far he is behind the players that have been picked. Pretty damning.

leeroyTX

Definitely didn't deserve it. I hope the summer off will serve him well and not getting picked will reignite that fire.

EireRed_GS

That would actually really piss me off. .. going from looking like he couldnt be arsed at Old Trafford , to putting in a shift for England. Would be taking us lot for mugs

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Actions have consequences, therecare varipus reasons a manager could select an off-form/average player. Things like work rate, pressing, defensive contibutions,tenacity attitude.

A player can not stroll in the pitch and expect to be selected ahead of other players who put in the work.

Serves him right.

fps

Right call. Not only is he not playing at the required level, it also seems unlikely he’ll get there this summer, and he has loads of media baggage.

K Stand Knut

The guy doesn’t deserve a place in the United XI, why on earth would he get in to the National team. He doesn’t play for San Marino or Gibraltar.

In short, no he should not. Under any premise.

However, fingers crossed be gets in, plays amazingly and someone is stupid enough to pay actual money for him to leave our club