Should Rashford make the England squad?

GoldanoGraham

Gutted but understandable.

Less understandable when you see Grealish in the squad, mind.
Don’t think Grealish will make the Final Cut but who would you rather have around the group - I bet Jack doesn’t mope around with the world on his shoulders.

Rojofiam

Let's just hope Gordon will start on the left now that he didn't fancy Rashford.

But in reality, I hope England have caused themselves massive, unnecessary problems by not taking a single real, pacey runner outlet at left wing other than Gordon, and maybe people on here will realize that roles, team balance and profiles actually matter a lot, and you can't just shoehorn the likes of Foden and others in that position.

Will be laughing my ass off when England are struggling in a game and there will be just ball-to-feet wingers on the bench like Grealish, Foden, etc. to come in for Gordon and none of them will be able to devastate the opposition defence like Rashford could by running behind with his pace and power. But, but, pheeel is the best, remember

PS: Especially when you have Kane upfront, who could ping the best balls for Rashford to run in behind for...

Nep77

Except for 3 months (Playing for new contract) purple patch he has been woeful for last 3 seasons. General play is not able to compensate for the lack of goals (his only saving grace) and add to that PR bullshit from his team, he has more baggage than the quality he brings to the team. Southgate showed some balls and rightfully dropped him.

Last edited:

AneRu

Happy that someone finally had the backbone to hold him accountable for his performances, his club doesn't want to or can't.

mk7

Let's just hope Gordon will start on the left now that he didn't fancy Rashford.

But in reality, I hope England have caused themselves massive, unnecessary problems by not taking a single real, pacey runner outlet at left wing other than Gordon, and maybe people on here will realize that roles, team balance and profiles actually matter a lot, and you can't just shoehorn the likes of Foden and others in that position.

Will be laughing my ass off when England are struggling in a game and there will be just ball-to-feet wingers on the bench like Grealish, Foden, etc. to come in for Gordon and none of them will be able to devastate the opposition defence like Rashford could by running behind with his pace and power. But, but, pheeel is the best, remember

PS: Especially when you have Kane upfront, who could ping the best balls for Rashford to run in behind for...
Where exactly have you witnessed this "pace and power"? I have seen a lost player mostly standing still before passing it back.

K Stand Knut

Has he had a worse season than Grealish?
No idea. I dont watch city.

Has Grealish stunk every ground he has played in out this season? Has he sulked his way around the country putting abject performance after abject performance in??

I am not sure why we’re comparing him to Grealish solely. He doesn’t deserve to be in the squad over any of the other players who can play there.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The right decision, but there's a serious profile problem when it comes to who to start in this England team without him. Foden/Kane/Saka is fecking terrible in terms of runners off the ball. I've never thought Kane is very good for England but we all know he's never being dropped. Ideally someone like Gordon plays on the left and offers that outlet but I don't know how you drop Foden on current form, and the LB situation if Shaw isn't fit just exacerbates the issue.

ColvaleGoa

Might be a kick in the backside he needs. But I feel a bit sad for him.

As much as I dislike him(GS), this is the correct decision by Waistcoat. Either way ,he would have not given Rashford any minutes.

Win-Win for us!

mu4c_20le

No idea. I dont watch city.

Has Grealish stunk every ground he has played in out this season? Has he sulked his way around the country putting abject performance after abject performance in??

I am not sure why we’re comparing him to Grealish solely. He doesn’t deserve to be in the squad over any of the other players who can play there.
Because he plays the same position in a much better team and manager, in a coherent, well drilled system. "He doesn't deserve to be in the squad" sounds like an angry parent keeping their child from doing what they want, because they were bad.

K Stand Knut

Because he plays the same position in a much better team and manager, in a coherent, well drilled system. "He doesn't deserve to be in the squad" sounds like an angry parent keeping their child from doing what they want, because they were bad.
So you think he deserves to be in the squad??

SirAF

Ageist
Except for 3 months (Playing for new contract) purple patch he has been woeful for last 3 seasons. General play is not able to compensate for the lack of goals (his only saving grace) and add to that PR bullshit from his team, he has more baggage than the quality he brings to the team. Southgate showed some balls and rightfully dropped him.
Totally agree!

GazTheLegend

I think he should still have gone, but I don't blame anyone (especially Southgate) for not taking him, and I'm certainly not gonna argue about it on here. That said I still think Rashford at his best is still a good player, and coming off the bench is still for me the far superior option to Bowen or Gordon if only because of his trickery and pace, and that Rashford's best position is that left side. Want Foden wherever Foden -wants- to play, he's too good not to!

Personally am quite happy he gets a full summer off, probably needs it.

Dan_F

Southgate never really made him first choice when he was bang in form, hardly a shock.

Theo88

Jack can at least pass the ball. Occasionally. He was never a scorer was he ?
Rashford is honestly completely useless for over a year. no running, no tracking back, no scoring.
the LW role for England isnt going to be their strongest position really.

mu4c_20le

I'm sure you've watched every City game this season to be in a position to compare the two.
I've seen enough. Stats back it up as well, in the same position Grealish has inferior numbers despite playing in one of the strongest teams in the world.

Hal9000

Only reason Grealish is there and will probably go is Southgate will do his usual when losing and stick him on in the last 15 to try and draw out some fouls

The-Mezzala

Probably not, his form is not great. With guys like Eze, Palmer and Bowen having good seasons. Seems fair. But I saw a stat the other day that Grealish has worse goal contributions than Antony yet he goes.

Last edited:

The Bloody-Nine

I've seen enough. Stats back it up as well, in the same position Grealish has inferior numbers despite playing in one of the strongest teams in the world.
You absolutely have not, and stats don't tell anything like the whole story in many cases. Not to mention half the "stats" that are rolled out today are subjective, moronic nonsense.

honirelandboy

Nah doesn't deserve to go, his work rate all season has been pathetic. I just want him out of the club and everyone can move on.

mu4c_20le

Jack can at least pass the ball. Occasionally. He was never a scorer was he ?
Rashford is honestly completely useless for over a year. no running, no tracking back, no scoring.
the LW role for England isnt going to be their strongest position really.
1 assist in the league suggests otherwise
Sounds like a blind parent who can’t accept that their kid isn’t good enough
How so?

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Rashford doesn’t deserve a spot in England if it’s a meritocracy.

I do think we’ll miss him and Sterling for their penetrating runs.

Theo88

How so?

yah sure because the only stat that matters is assists.

Per 90 minutes, JG has 2x expected assists, 2x successful passes 10% higher pass success percentage, 20% higher long ball accuracy, 3x chances created, 5x cross accuracy, 5x fouls won, and about 2x duels won. Please. Rashford has been so dross he shouldnt be playing in a PL team this yeal. All his advanced analytics put him around the level of a championship player. I'm not saying JG was a player he had a shit season too but at least one resembles a footballer the other a semi retired sunday league forward.

K Stand Knut

How so?
The same why that my opinion sounds like an angry parent keeping their child from doing what they want, because they were bad.

Both equally bad takes.

An England call up is a privilege and my opinion is that under no metric whatsoever does Rashford deserve a place in the squad

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
yah sure because the only stat that matters is assists.

Per 90 minutes, JG has 2x expected assists, 2x successful passes 10% higher pass success percentage, 20% higher long ball accuracy, 3x chances created, 5x cross accuracy, 5x fouls won, and about 2x duels won. Please. Rashford has been so dross he shouldnt be playing in a PL team this yeal. All his advanced analytics put him around the level of a championship player. I'm not saying JG was a player he had a shit season too but at least one resembles a footballer the other a semi retired sunday league forward.
I don’t think Rashford has had a good season. But he’s also not had a LB supporting him all season. That narrows the pitch making cutting inside and shooting in space harder.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Same. When we need a goal I don’t see Gordon, Toney and Bowen doing much to get us a goal.
Gordon can beat a man and has improved his output this season, Bowen is weirdly the one who maybe could?

Toney I’m not sure is good enough.

mu4c_20le

The same why that my opinion sounds like an angry parent keeping their child from doing what they want, because they were bad.

Both equally bad takes.

An England call up is a privilege and my opinion is that under no metric whatsoever does Rashford deserve a place in the squad
I actually prefer if Rashford stayed home and rested this summer. I just think he had a better season than Grealish, who went under the radar like most city flops. That last sentence is what I suspected you meant, but in the context of the posts, Grealish doesn't either.

Todd

Not only does 2024 Rashford not deserve to be in the Euro squad, I don't even think you could make the argument that he'd be considered the first man out.

If Southgate was able to take one more wide attacking player I would say that both Sancho and Sterling would have a better case than Rashford.

Besides, between Foden, Saka, and Palmer it's already going to be a case of one really good and deserving player being left out of the first eleven, and there's also Grealish to consider who will provide qualities off the bench that a player like Rashford cannot provide.

Glorio

I still find it kind of surprising, because us utd fans were witnesses of maguire being on the starting xi while he was the world meme for mistakes on the pitch. So maybe we kinda expected Southgate to select Rashy despite his horrendous form. Hes done it before
I don't think Southgate ever rated Rashford, he seemed to only play him when he absolutely needed to.

Rashford deserves to be dropped, however I do think it's a grave mistake. He's a different threat (more direct) to the rest and there could be games where England may need to play differently to get themselves over the line

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s been one of the very worst starting LW in the league this year. Add to that a complete lack of work rate or enthusiasm. 100% correct decision. Should be dropped by us next year to accommodate a harder working body on the line team player type.

Glorio

That would actually really piss me off. .. going from looking like he couldnt be arsed at Old Trafford , to putting in a shift for England. Would be taking us lot for mugs
Wouldn't be the first time

Andy_Cole

Gordon can beat a man and has improved his output this season, Bowen is weirdly the one who maybe could?

Toney I’m not sure is good enough.
I guess because the three I mentioned haven’t proven it on the world stage. Whereas Rash at his top level has done.