Should we appoint Wenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

Funny I think he would do wonders with this young squad.. But who wants Wenger?
Nothing to lose until Poch gets out.

R'hllor

Nice try and those who are for real and wouldnt mind Wenger, you lost it for me, bloody hell.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's a risk worth taking imo. No good manager would come mid season. It's always a care taker until end of season. We can always see if things are improving style wise and judge accordingly. Definitely Wenger knows how to make them play as a team . Wenger or Ole, we need signings in January. So cant get worse for sure.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
:lol:

Now imagine if we really appoint him... because stranger things are already happening at this club.

Scotty McT

You know what it might just work.

Wenger on a contract until the summer with a possibility of moving into a upper management/DoF role when we appoint a full time manager.

Even if the results are shit at least we’ll play some decent football. He’s had a good rest he will probably be well up for it.
The idea of moving a manager into a DoF role is a political nightmare IMO. The press and the fans would be clamouring for him to be given another chance at managing every time we had a poor run of form.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I'm all for giving Solskjaer time to completely rebuild the squad. He (like any other manger) needs a minimum of 3 windows to sort this club out. Nobody is doing it in any less.

That being said, I wouldn't write Wenger off. That man knows how to get a team to play good football. He's not for us but I still think he'd do a good job at a big club.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
At this point it doesn't really matter. We could appoint anyone and things couldn't get much worse. Wouldn't expect things to get any better either, unless the structural problems are solved.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Wenger isn't going to tarnish his heritage at Arsenal for half a season with Utd. I could see him back with us and emery sacked if results don't improve for Arsenal by Christmas.

LoneStar

Would be open to him managing us for the rest of the season. He's far superior to Ole, no questions.

We'd atleast have an attacking pattern and score goals. Probably concede more, but at this point, who cares, we are not going to win anything.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Wenger isn't going to tarnish his heritage at Arsenal for half a season with Utd. I could see him back with us and emery sacked if results don't improve for Arsenal by Christmas.
I agreed with the first part, but he is sacked by the board so no way he will come back.

dmode

Manchester United fans' reactions are so weird these days... total disrespect for the club and its history! :confused:

jackal&hyde

Didn't we learn anything about short-termism? If you want a new identity and a complete reconstruction it's going to take time and moments of frustration. Klopp finished 8th in his first season and was named "flopp" by many; Guardiola was 4th or something with the most expensive team in the league. Not saying Ole is going to be a guaranteed success, but let's have the same patience our rivals had and judge things in a couple of seasons.

Lam

Not sure if this is the right thread but wanted to share something Wenger spoke about (don't know about recency of the video) - Stamina of motivation

He makes a point on how high stamina of motivation (i.e. being 7 on 10 motivated but across all 38 games) is more important than being high on intensity of motivation. 10/10 in 20 games and 5/10 in the remaining just doesn't make the cut. I think this is a critical issue with our current squad as opposed to the ones we had before under SAF. You look at players like Pogba who suddenly goes from 0 to 10 and then falls the next week to 0 again. It's the case with many other players - Martial, Fred, Rojo, Smalling, Lingard, Mata, Shaw, Rashford (?), DDG(?) etc.

In comparison, Park and Fletcher (example) always gave 7/10...less talented, but always 7/10...That's why they were always important and picked...On the other hand, Nani was hot and cold but changed completely for 1 season when he was unplayable because he was motivated throughout the second half of the season. Giggs, despite all the negative PR around his personal life, always was motivated to keep going...on and on and on in his late thirties.

I hope someone at the club looks at this. One good thing which I notice is some like AWB and James are showing signs of being more of the good type than our other recent purchases.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
You know in 4 hires we haven't engaged a single modern manager. Let that sink in.
Ole has been a manager for only about 8 years. He's modern. Of course, by 'modern' you merely mean 'successful for Manchester United'.

slir32

We are not winning the PL anytime soon so i would take him if Ole left just on the slim chance that he wins the PL with us. AFTV would be epic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For what it's worth even during the years where United fans thought that he hated United, on french TV he was always full of praise for the club, SAF and the main players.

JB7

How has this thread got beyond one reply?

There is one right answer and it is "no", end thread.

Revaulx

Ole has been a manager for only about 8 years. He's modern. Of course, by 'modern' you merely mean 'successful for Manchester United'.
There’s more to “modern” than not having been a manager for long. How about style of play?

Though people familiar with his tenures at Molde have said that he got them playing progressive attacking football. It’s a shame he can’t do the same at United.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
At least he would have a style of play.

I am fed up with managers with no style of philosophy (Van Gaalish)

I want somenone with a clear identity, someone who brings something to our style of play,

Ole is just counter attacking with brainless player

Suv666

Get Wenger in fam. Wenger is needed blud.
Wenger would be a disaster.

Matt007a

Madness. Short term replacements are not the answer, surely we've learned that by now? OGS needs the January and summer windows to continue the transformation.

I think so far his recruitment choices have been good. If we're still no better after the next two transfer windows, then get someone else in. At least then they'll have a good squad to work with instead of the rubbish we have now. Changing manager now could lead to another change in approach and mean we've wasted the last window.

Castia

Didn't we learn anything about short-termism? If you want a new identity and a complete reconstruction it's going to take time and moments of frustration. Klopp finished 8th in his first season and was named "flopp" by many; Guardiola was 4th or something with the most expensive team in the league. Not saying Ole is going to be a guaranteed success, but let's have the same patience our rivals had and judge things in a couple of seasons.

I do agree the squad obviously needs building. The worry is once a squad is built is Ole the man to coach them? at the moment we look completely clueless with let’s face it a manager who’s very inexperienced.

We’ve got a manager building a team who looks out of his depth sadly.

Marcus

Well, the football would be much more attacking that's for sure. Interesting idea. Not totally closed to it.

I agree with someone earlier that perhaps the Director of Football role would be better fit.

Greck

:lol: No Modern doesn't mean young. It means a manager who deploys his team to mirror modern tactical concepts. High pressing, synchronised football etc. LVG was the closest not Ole. It's not about age

Sir Scott McToMinay

How has this thread got beyond one reply?

There is one right answer and it is "no", end thread.
Because he would do better than the manager we currently have, and it would be infinitely more beneficial for our young players to be coached by one of the greatest coaches in football history when it comes to developing young players.

kps88

The fact that so many people are into this shows just what a state we're in. Doing better than what we have right now is too low a bar for the next manager.

JB7

Because he would do better than the manager we currently have, and it would be infinitely more beneficial for our young players to be coached by one of the greatest coaches in football history when it comes to developing young players.
He is also Arsene fecking Wenger.

There are some things you just don't do and that is one of them. May as well try and sign Suarez while we're at it and bring in Dalgleish as Director of Football.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He is also Arsene fecking Wenger.

There are some things you just don't do and that is one of them. May as well try and sign Suarez while we're at it and bring in Dalgleish as Director of Football.
Boo hoo, so we were rivals for awhile.
Wenger stopped being our rival a decade ago.
Van Persie was too a rival, then he won us the league.
I don’t think you realize the severity of our situation.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Klopp finished 8th in his first season and was named "flopp" by many; Guardiola was 4th or something with the most expensive team in the league. Not saying Ole is going to be a guaranteed success, but let's have the same patience our rivals had and judge things in a couple of seasons.
The difference is, you could see a style with both these managers. Immediately they had a different identity. Whilst Klopp came in the October and finished 8th, they were inconsistent but still managed some stellar performances, away at Chelsea and City, scoring 6 away at Villa, beating City at home and beating Everton 4-0. Fitness many suggested was the reason they were inconsistent.

Pep finished 3rd, again immediately the signings of how he wanted to play were there for all to see. 77% possession in their first league game. They were inconsistent, a run of wins, followed by back to back defeats or a run of drawn games, but they never strayed from the style Pep was implementing.

Ole has been here for 10 months, he talks a good game but lives in the past. We look as bad as ever. Everyone would accept indifferent form, if they could see a change in the way they were playing. He’s had a season in effect, the form we’re in, is worrying.

The problem now is City have raised the bar even higher, you need 95+ points to mount a title challenge. We’re further behind then ever, although that’s not entirely on Ole.

I think United fans are patient but the signs aren’t encouraging.

predator

Youth NITK
Absolutely.
Because he would improve us within a short time and also the sheer meltdown by Arsenal and most United fans would be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

JB7

Boo hoo, so we were rivals for awhile.
Wenger stopped being our rival a decade ago.
Van Persie was too a rival, then he won us the league.
I don’t think you realize the severity of our situation.
Wenger never stopped being our rival. The day he manages United is the day hell freezes over.

Status
Not open for further replies.