Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Renew?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarleyUtd

With our current owners, I say yes. We cannot start with the GK when we don't have an attack. Sancho, Martial, Wout are all dross. I don't think Antony is good enough for us to be a title contender either, but it's his first season and he has done better than the most of them at least. Also we need to strengthen in midfield.

Quality attackers cost money and wages.
Antony is improving all the time, which is more than be said for some

Mainoldo

All I’m saying he best not cost us Top 4 like he did the time Ole was in charge.

Chelsea still stays with me.

cpresc

How on earth is replacing our 5th choice centre back a bigger priority than our starting goalkeeper ffs
Where did i say 5th choice? IMO cover for Varane would be our 3rd choice CB

kundalini

We should let De Gea leave then bring in a modestly priced, decent keeper on a reasonable salary. Selling Henderson should cover a fair chunk of the cost.

If Solskjaer had been paying attention, it was clear that the team conceded far fewer goals with Romero in goal than they did in equivalent fixtures with De Gea in goal.

In the last 5 seasons, De Gea has been average for a PL keeper at shot stopping; his supposed strength. Then there's his reluctance to come from crosses, only occasional attempt to act as a sweeper keeper and struggles playing out from the back.

Last edited:

RetroStu

For all the odd mistakes he does, he still makes some fantastic match saving/winning saves, point blank saves. I do sometimes wonder how many matches we would of lost if he wasnt playing, when you look at some of the saves he has done for us, this season included.

I'd only get rid if we can find another keeper who is also a great shot stopper.

humdinger

I’ve slept on it. Still fuming. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Dave. Shouldn’t have gotten the last contract let alone a new one.

Eric_the_Red99

For all the odd mistakes he does, he still makes some fantastic match saving/winning saves, point blank saves. I do sometimes wonder how many matches we would of lost if he wasnt playing, when you look at some of the saves he has done for us, this season included.

I'd only get rid if we can find another keeper who is also a great shot stopper.
I’d just take a keeper who is consistently competent at all the things you’d expect from a keeper, rather than being world class at any particular thing. With DDG, it’s like we’ve maxed out his shot stopping on a video game character creation screen, leaving no points for anything else. I’d rather have someone more balanced.

Sure, they might not win loads of games through miracle saves, but you’ve also got to consider all the games DDG has cost us through his incompetence at basic goalkeeping skills, like last night.

RORY65

The 2018 De Gea was such a great shot stopper that maybe you could ignore the other flaws in his game, nowadays he's a decent shot stopper but nothing abnormally great and the weaknesses in his game have become more accentuated.

We know he doesn't communicate and that his distribution is really poor but he also has no presence, he has the lowest % of crosses gathered in the league and has the 3rd fewest involvements outside of his area, he just stands on his line doing his own thing which means his defenders have to do work he should be doing.

Sauxees Moi Hui

This really is the time to let go of the grossly overpaid player whose game is not quite right for us and bring in a relatively cheap stop-gap who does play the way ETH wants (while we address other needs).

Someone

Something
Obviously need to go, no doubt about it.

Keepers make mistakes, but no one at the top level makes them that often. He's overall a poor GK at the moment, and even on a free I doubt he'll find a top club going for him. His passing is poor, his command in the box is poor, he avoids crosses like a plague, mentally very weak and his only redeeming quality is a great reaction save here and there. The new era requires us to be more ruthless. We won't close the gap on city by having a major weakness in our team like him.

Guapa

Incredible in at his best but its time to move on.

68cob

I have no idea who would replace him, but have voted for him to go, with a heavy heart.

Amarsdd

I have a bad feeling he'll collapse under pressure in the last few games of the season esp without our first choice CBs.

And the answer to the main question has been no for quite a while.

Mainoldo

I have a bad feeling he'll collapse under pressure in the last few games of the season esp without our first choice CBs.

And the answer to the main question has been no for quite a while.
He’s defo going to cost us 6pts before the end of the season.

glasgow 21

With our current owners, I say yes. We cannot start with the GK when we don't have an attack. Sancho, Martial, Wout are all dross. I don't think Antony is good enough for us to be a title contender either, but it's his first season and he has done better than the most of them at least. Also we need to strengthen in midfield.

Quality attackers cost money and wages.
you had an argument until you brought Antony in for a kicking , absolute nonsense when he was given the ball last night the best player in a United shirt by a mile.

HarryP

Manchester United haven't reached the Semi Finals of the Champions League since De Gea joined the club 12 years ago. Let that sink in.

Not all his fault obviously but make no mistake, he's been part of the mediocrity and particularly in recent years.

Eddy_JukeZ

Absolutely not.

And if ETH wants him to stay, the board needs to veto him.

m1tch

The only deal that makes sense is a 1+1 or a 2+1 with a heavily reduced wage. If he'll accept a fair wage I'd go for a 1+1, that will help take the pressure off finding the right keeper for the right price this summer.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
How did De Gea, a rather average keeper, get to be Manchester United starter for over a decade?

Dominos

I still have nightmares about the end of 18/19 during Ole's interim season where he was throwing the ball in his own net every game and Ole refused to drop him.

Idxomer

How did De Gea, a rather average keeper, get to be Manchester United starter for over a decade?
He was an incredible shot-stopper from 2014-2018, remember Madrid were very close to signing him in 2015. He was also in the PL team of the year every season in that period.

After that, he and Mendes took advantage of the clowns running the show at United and leveraged his previous individual achievements to get an obscene contract in 2019. This was the same year Woodward gave Jones a new contract and Martial a 250k/week contract, there were a few others who benefited from this idiocy.

Okey

Absolutely not! We made the mistake already offering that last renewal. We need to get ruthless in pursuit of excellence. Not good enough? Tara! You can have the best send off in town but please replace and upgrade.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For a good 5-6 years he was one of the best pure shot-stoppers in the history of the game. He was always very limited in other ways, but his shot-stopping ability was unbelievably good. Basically a one man wall back there sometimes.

Unfortunately then the 2018 World Cup happened and he's never got close to that level again. Well, for the first half of last season he was looking close to his best again, but he couldn't keep it up and quickly dropped away. The sad thing is that 17/18 was actually his best ever season, so to go straight from that to his utter shit-show of a World Cup seemed to break him mentally and he never recovered.

croadyman

I don't understand why people say we have bigger problems with the squad that need addressed.
Goalkeeping is the one position where you have to absolutely get it right as every mistake or moment of hesitancy will mostly like result in a goal conceded every single time.
Look at the difference Alisson made to Liverpool when he joined them or Ederson at City. Both sides immediately went up a gear.
Yeah you are absolutely bang on about the difference those two have made to our rivals

croadyman

De Gea's mistakes in the latter part of 18/19 (which is still the worst form of his career) was the biggest reason we missed top four. Not the only reason, but if I'm asked to give the biggest reason it was certainly De Gea's form. In 19/20 he was at fault for three of the five goals that we conceded in the Europa and FA Cup semi's. In 20/21 he literally made himself as small as possible to avoid any contact where he might get hurt for the goal that ultimately knocked us out of the CL. That season he also didn't save a single penalty then missed his own in the Europa final. I wouldn't say that he was the reason we lost that one, but let's be honest it's more likely to happen to De Gea than most as he's so weak in penalties. Now this season he was at least somewhat at fault (I'd say the most at fault) for all three goals that Sevilla scored to knock us out of the Europa. He's also had some terrible errors against the likes of Liverpool, City and Arsenal in the league during these seasons. We all saw what happened to him in the 2018 World Cup where he was atrocious for Spain.

De Gea's worst games and biggest mistakes have regularly tended to come in the bigger games over that period. I'm astonished anyone thinks otherwise. Not only in the bigger games as he's also made a lot of mistakes in 'lesser' matches over these five years, but it's definitely been an unfortunate trend.
Yeah has never been the same since coming back from that 2018 World Cup,all started with a shocker in that 3-3 against Portugal

colombianmancunian

No. His shot stopping isn’t what it was before.
That being said, I hope we don’t replace him with a mediocre keeper such as Raya. We need Diogo Costa.

TheLord

The thread would have been meaningful 4 seasons back at the end of the woeful 2018/19 season. But, now¿

mattunited1978

doommonger
Get rid, him and Maguire are a pair of memes at this point, so mentally weak its embarrassing, the pair of them

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I'd let him go. I wouldn't keep him on as a second choice as I get the feeling he's a player that needs to keep playing and would get rusty very quickly if benched most weeks.

HarryP

Because it shouldn't be prioritised ahead of a striker and midfielder. I don't see how we have the budget
It obviously should though.

The GK position is the easiest position to improve upon because De Gea isn't even mid table standard.

arnie_ni

It obviously should though.

The GK position is the easiest position to improve upon because De Gea isn't even mid table standard.
You really think gk should be prioritised over improving on WW?

caid

Because it shouldn't be prioritised ahead of a striker and midfielder. I don't see how we have the budget
I'd prioritise it over midfielder. We get the budget from not paying a keeper 375k a week and selling henderson.

arnie_ni

I'd prioritise it over midfielder. We get the budget from not paying a keeper 375k a week and selling henderson.
I can understand that argument. I don't personally agree but i understand it. I'm not sure how anyone can argue improving ddg is more important than improving WW.

caid

I can understand that argument. I don't personally agree but i understand it. I'm not sure how anyone can argue improving ddg is more important than improving WW.
Well there might be a different striker available next season, unfortunately.
But ignoring that i agree. I just dont see a good reason why we cant get both to be honest. If it comes down to it then spending absolutely everything on Kane for instance while ignoring everything else would be a bit stupid in my view. I'd spread it around a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.