Sir Bobby Charlton has died

Walters_19_MuFc

The word legend gets thrown around quite easily these days, but this gentlemen is the true meaning of a legend. May he rest in peace!

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
RIP Sir Bobby Charlton. A true legend of football.

Charlie Foley

Genuinely gutted.

RIP to an absolute legend. England’s greatest ever player. On the shortest of shortlists for United’s greatest ever. You could make the argument that he is the most iconic figure in the club’s history, with Munich, 68, and his status after his playing career. I suppose only Busby or Sir Alex come close, and on the playing field I can’t think of any who combine his status and longevity.

more than that, a genuine icon of the game of football. There are only so many of those. I remember being incredibly proud when we won in Moscow, what it showed of us as a club when we were sending Sir Bobby up, and Chelsea sent Peter Kenyon. I remember Brian Granville writing about it.

Chairman Steve

RIP to a true great of football. Probably still the first name mentioned if you go anywhere in the world and ask someone to name a great English player.

MalaysianRed7

Needless to say, we wouldn’t have our European Cup title in 1968 and England wouldn’t have their 1966 World Cup without him. However, without his bravery in resuming football after the tragic events in Munich, we wouldn’t have had Fergie and most of our post-Munich trophies too, simply because without him, the club would likely have been in a far too dire situation to get back to the top. We’d never have been able to attract managers of the calibre of Fergie and the world class players that came after him.

Quite simply, one of the most important people in our club’s history. Rest in eternal peace Sir Bobby.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
:( gonna miss seeing that smile in the stands. One of those people who surely had to be one of the nicest people around, aside from being a footballing great. It will be so weird to not see him around anymore. Hope the players give it their all today and the rest of the season in memory of a great man.

Rest peacefully Sir Bobby.

ForeverRed1

just finished work to see this news, these players better put on a show for him tonight. A true true red. Through and through.

Lady Cathy and sir Bobby. What a rubbish month for sir Alex.

redshaw

So sad.

Thank you for everything Sir Bobby, an incredible person and career.

BigRon1985

I remember listening to his last game for United against Chelsea (28th April 1973) on the radio as a kid and feeling like it was the end of a era.

RIP Sir Bobby!

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Words can’t describe how much he meant to all the fans and supporters. Rest in peace absolute legend of football. Used far too often in this day and age but absolutely a legend.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The loss of another absolute legend, an extremely sad day, what a player. What an inspiration. He literally inspired players who were inspirational. The epitome of world class and perhaps our greatest ever player all things considered

MoskvaRed

Where to start when trying to sum up Sir Bobby? The living embodiment of most of United’s post-war history, from the Babes through the horror of Munich and the long climb back to win the European Cup to a stalwart defender of SAF in his early days and an ever present in the stands. I wonder how many United games he played in or attended? On top of that, England’s greatest ever player and the best player in the only England team to win a tournament. All that and an absolute gent, respected around the world.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sorry for your loss. A great representative for his country also.

Jeffthered

Arguably the greatest ever English player. A Manchester United person, player, ambassador, through and through as someone has previously stated. Nearly lost his life playing for our club. An outstanding man, funny, humble. The man was loved and respected throughout the footballing world. A global icon of the game. He was clearly unwell for some time, so at least now he may Rest in Peace. He will live forever in our hearts and minds.

Red Star One

I feel very sad. Him and Sir Alex are truly the two biggest legends of the club. I grew up starting supporting United in the 90s and always being told Sir Bobby was our greatest player ever.

Carolina Red

Staff
One of those amazing instances where someone is both a sublimely talented player and just a genuinely good person.

Rest in peace, Sir Bobby.