Sir Bobby Charlton has died

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ah, man. RIP to the legend. Always loved seeing him at the United games.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Really really sad news.

For a club that's had some of the greatest players that have ever played the game play for you, he was for me, the best of the best.

RIP Sir Bobby, a great player and a true gentleman.

surf

My favourite player. The greatest for both club and country. Gave us some unforgettable moments on the terraces, like West Ham United 1 Manchester United 6 in 1967. RIP

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Needless to say, we wouldn’t have our European Cup title in 1968 and England wouldn’t have their 1966 World Cup without him. However, without his bravery in resuming football after the tragic events in Munich, we wouldn’t have had Fergie and most of our post-Munich trophies too, simply because without him, the club would likely have been in a far too dire situation to get back to the top. We’d never have been able to attract managers of the calibre of Fergie and the world class players that came after him.

Quite simply, one of the most important people in our club’s history. Rest in eternal peace Sir Bobby.
Not gonna lie, this made me cry.

Great post.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So true. I loved your post as well. Seeing Sir Bobby and that team in general live and in the flesh is something the majority of us United fans can only dream of. I'm glad you have those memories.

My parents and grandad probably have those memories, too. I'll have to ask. All I know for sure is that my mum was in love with George Best :lol:
Thank you for those kind words.
The thing that sticks in my mind was that back then, most teams were packed with hard men. Cloggers who used to man mark you. Quite literally.
But even though Sir Bobby Charlton was head and shoulders more skillful than the rest, those cloggers just couldn't get close to him. And he was so respected that few wanted to kick him or try and put him out of the game.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Needless to say, we wouldn’t have our European Cup title in 1968 and England wouldn’t have their 1966 World Cup without him. However, without his bravery in resuming football after the tragic events in Munich, we wouldn’t have had Fergie and most of our post-Munich trophies too, simply because without him, the club would likely have been in a far too dire situation to get back to the top. We’d never have been able to attract managers of the calibre of Fergie and the world class players that came after him.

Quite simply, one of the most important people in our club’s history. Rest in eternal peace Sir Bobby.
Very well said.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
That's truly sad news, another legend of the game is gone.

May he rest in peace.

Stan Jefferson

Gutted. A giant of the game, one of the very most important figures in our clubs history and an absolute gentleman. Rest in peace. :(

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
He was a true icon and I am heartbroken by this news. It is impossible to imagine how much he has done for his club in his lifetime. He is and always will be an absolute legend for our club.

Relfy

Incredibly sad news. I grew up on stories of how good he was and stories of his genius. He always came across as an absolute gentleman. He seemed to command the respect of everyone, which speaks volumes.

The word legend is thrown around way too easily these days, but Sir Bobby truly was. RIP.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Great gentleman and great player.
Rest in peace.

Kopral Jono

At one point Sir Bobby was English football personified. He transcended football. Rest in peace, legend.

caid

A footballing great and a true gentleman with the highest regard for that word. Was a privilege to be associated with him in some small measure.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
RIP. He has left an incredibly legendary imprint on history, people of his ilk come by once in many generations. There are millions of people out there who may not realize that the reason the club they support exists the way it does is because of him.

FujiVice

A huge part of Manchester United and English football has died today. To come back from Munich to win the World Cup and European Cup shines a light on the fact they just dont make them like that anymore. Imagine seeing all your mates and heroes die in front of you, to the point where you hair fell out in your 20s due to trauma. And to have that mentality to go on and do the things he did? You dont get them like that anymore.

El Zoido

One of the greats not only of Manchester United, but football as a whole. A very sad day. RIP Sir Bobby.

Macca7

If ever there was a player that embodied Manchester United, it was Sir Bobby. Rest in peace legend.