Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

Member 101269

He’s fecking awful. Zero personality convinced that money has given him one.

I’ve met him a few times (pre global superstar rise). Another poster here has also, and knows the family, and did raise some countenance to what I’d seen, so I’ve tempered a little.

He’s the Instagram version of black activism and collectivism. He’s not ‘in’ communities or the culture. He’s often cosplaying and bandwagoning. I don’t think he’s malicious, he probably thinks he’s doing a world of good. But I find him to be the least authentic superstar.

None of this to take away from what an outrageous race driver he is. He’s in rarefied air as a race car driver.

He also does huge amounts of good with the money he has made. Nobody needs to do that and he does. But I’d want him nowhere near my football club. He’s not a sharp businessman. He’s not an insightful person that is engaging and thought provoking. Even in the early comments he’s already selling blackness as an angle. Go to communities. Exclusively. Do not jump into bed with free market capitalists. They are the oppressors and attaching blackness to the news cycle, is not helping anyone but himself.
I agree he's trying to do good. It's ableism: since he's dyslexic, if only he'd put as much energy into supporting dyslexia.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Can't say I watch Howson or any United fan Youtubers much but with how angry you seem to be it makes sense now why you're a big fan of Goldbridge.
I'm a big fan of people not spouting lies. Goldbridge I'm ambivalent on but claiming he makes shit up exposes anyone as a clueless sheep repeating stuff off Twitter.

stw2022

Goldbridge seems like someone who responds to/analyses situations with his own point of view rather than anyone who has insight.

The Irish Connection

Sticking together is irrelevant. What difference would that make to anything? Unless the Glazers are living under a rock they know they're as popular as crackling at a vegan dinner.

It's been 16 years. You can give some bloke as much of your money as you like to take his merchandise off his hands but stop insisting it makes any difference.

There ain't going to be a 3am call to Tampa "Lads they've just sold the 11,000th scarf. It's time to move"

Mate no offence but you're the reason why convincing fans every 7 months there's a chance they'll sell is such a lucrative business.

"Why not show them how you feel? Stick together, a United front against the parasites... for just £8.99"
What have green and gold scarves got to do with anything? They’re just a tiny fraction of what the fans are trying to do.
The more support the protest movement gets the better. It means more media coverage, pressure on the sponsors, more pressure on them to spend big and remove the debt or feck off.
The fans have done brilliantly in the last few weeks. Sky are now consistently talking about it and apparently the club have complained to them. They are under pressure no doubt and Jim Ratcliffes interest has added to that.
The more of us on board with this and with a positive mindset that change can happen the better.

RetroStu

Sometimes i wonder if its a case of 'better the devil you know' when it comes to the Glazers. I mean 1.2 bil spent the last 6 years, 2.5bil since their tenure started (somehting like that i read). We have spent nearly £300 more in the last 6 years than even the likes of City and PSG.
For all the understandable hate the Glazers get, the 'lack of spending' is somehting that always puzzles me.

Tarrou

Then read the journalists.

Brent's job is to sensationalize and get clicks / views - even moreso than standard journalists. He's an entertainer not a reputable source.
I don't dispute that. Just pointing out that stating he doesn't have sources is false.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The funny thing is he has never physically said that has he? its the journalist interpretation of what his spokesman said who didnt even say he wants to buy the club, only that if its for sale he is one of the potential buyers and explained the reason why he might be interested. There are so many layers there and I have to pay to read that?? the article's title makes it seem like the words came directly out of his mouth. Fecking clickbaiters.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

Sometimes i wonder if its a case of 'better the devil you know' when it comes to the Glazers. I mean 1.2 bil spent the last 6 years, 2.5bil since their tenure started (somehting like that i read). We have spent nearly £300 more in the last 6 years than even the likes of City and PSG.
For all the understandable hate the Glazers get, the 'lack of spending' is somehting that always puzzles me.
If it were just about expenditure, then we should be a successful club, both on and off the pitch?

Unfortunately, we're not. So even by those rules, the Glazers are a failure.

stw2022

The funny thing is he has never physically said that has he? its the journalist interpretation of what his spokesman said who didnt even say he wants to buy the club, only that if its for sale he is one of the potential buyers and explained the reason why he might be interested. There are so many layers there and I have to pay to read that?? the article's title makes it seem like the words came directly out of his mouth. Fecking clickbaiters.
You see why they do it though. It clearly works.

Jam

What that guy wrote is a lie started by Howson, a guy charging people money for something that is free and who has wished death on Goldbridge.

I'd suggest a bit of googling because he's a polarising figure, especially with the Redcafe boomers.
Mate I’m probably younger than you. Boomer ffs.

I’m just media literate - I’m sorry I criticised daddy Goldbridge, hope you like, subscribe and comment and the press the alert button for up to date content!

He’s a media personality. He’s a creation. He’s a jumped up forum poster. Why are you so defensive over him I don’t understand the logic.

I’m not going to bat for any specific journalists over this story either. But Goldbridge won’t know anything about a fecking takeover about Manchester United before actual reputable journalists. Hell even posters here will know more from simply reading the figures the club puts out and watching the ticker.

Rightnr

I’m just media literate - I’m sorry I criticised daddy Goldbridge, hope you like, subscribe and comment and the press the alert button for up to date content!

He’s a media personality. He’s a creation. He’s a jumped up forum poster. Why are you so defensive over him I don’t understand the logic.

I’m not going to bat for any specific journalists over this story either. But Goldbridge won’t know anything about a fecking takeover about Manchester United before actual reputable journalists. Hell even posters here will know more from simply reading the figures the club puts out and watching the ticker.
Apart from you parroting other people's thoughts, show me solid proof.

You can't because your enlightened 'facts' are just made up. I won't bother anymore.

stw2022

Even sports journalist aren't going to find out. With respect to them any news will trickle down through the financial press in the US. Guys like Tom McDemott, Henry Winter or Neil Custis simply aren't in the same world.

Jam

Apart from you parroting other people's thoughts, show me solid proof.

You can't because your enlightened 'facts' are just made up. I won't bother anymore.
What exactly do you want proof about? That a fully grown adult called Brent prats about and exaggerates on YouTube and Twitch? It’s something he admits himself. It isn’t a secret or accusation.

Or that the same man doesn’t have better links to the football club, and key finance figures in the takeover, than actual reputable journalists?

I’m actually keen to know your train of thought. Do you think a consortium would speak with Goldbridge about teasing a takeover, or do a think a journalist instead of using the story for themselves would tell Goldbridge to break the news for him on his channel?

He relies on people like you to engage in his content hence why he has to be an entertaining figure for the ADHD generation. It’s an evolution. Even some journalists peddle shite in order to generate clicks.

This is what’s wrong with younger people today. They weirdly idolise personalities on YouTube, Twitch and TikTok. And are rabidly defensive over them - it’s Twitter culture permeating the rest of their lives. This is why it is so annoying, I don’t even particularly dislike Goldbridge that much and have laughed at some of his content but it is the wider culture that he represents that I despise.

1) What is it about Goldbridge you really like?
2) Why do you believe that Goldbridge has good sources in the club, is it because he told you and has 500,000 subscribers?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Obviously it’s a fecking disgrace they were allowed to buy the club and the real villains in all this are the football and government authorities who let it happen but I completely agree with this in the sense that the debt and dividends haven’t been an issue for some time - and the idea we couldn’t win under glazernomics was an absurd one. You give the highest net spend over the last decade to a good manager with a good recruitment team and you will win shit. Football shouldn’t be hard with the resource advantage we enjoyed. I also don’t buy the idea that they didn’t want to win - you don’t spend 80m on Maguire and 50m on a RB to finish 4th - it’s not ambition that has the problem it has been total incompetence and not hiring the right people. Finance hasn’t been the problem - being run by footballing morons was.

However, it’s a totally different story today. Their ownership model of the club funding itself is not going to fly with the race to the top the PL is currently seeing. We still have the 600m debt just for the honour of their ownership and we need a new stadium and training complex. West Ham and Forest spent over 150m this summer - the spending levels to be competitive are crazy. With no outside investment this club is not going to be able to pay the current debt interest, dividends which are imperative for their share model, take on new debt for a stadium and invest heavily in the playing squad. The current model is now at an end. Manchester United with the fan base, history, being the biggest club in the biggest league around and the absurd levels of media attention all this bring has the potential to be dwarfing Madrid and Barcelona’s revenues but it needs some serious investment for that to happen. The club and the PL is now far too rich for them - growth potential of the club is enormous but not under their ownership model or the toxicity it is now bringing. They’re now a noose around their own assets neck and I have no doubt they will sell for a huge profit in the next year.

RkkMan

I got a bit of abuse when I dared suggest there was no chance the Glazers would sell the club.
There's still a big chance they sell and I'll go as far as saying that they'll sell in the next 24 months

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
There's still a big chance they sell and I'll go as far as saying that they'll sell in the next 24 months
Well that's what I meant too. They have no intention of selling right now. I think they have secret hopes for some new version of the superleague and they're scared they might miss out on a billion in revenue a season

If that doesn't look like happening then they may sell but it'll be a few more years yet.

red thru&thru

Having read the other thread, Sir Jim Ratcliffe would be the more preferred choice, by what I have read.

But, what if they both combine together somehow, to bring back success? SJR has plenty of knowledge on running/being part of successful sports teams, and Dubai has plenty of success in building a community (nation), with all the great buildings and attractions.

We could do with a combination of both to bring us back to the top again.

SAF is the GOAT

To be honest I still to evaluate Sir Jim's football managing and right now I don't see Nice from Ligue 1 too improving and he owned them for how long ?

stw2022

So that's Jim, Knighton, the Saudis, Bezos, The Red Knights, Musk and Dubai buying the club. I'm sure I'm missing several out

All this apparent interest spanning a number of years and yet not a single bid, doesn't seem odd to anyone?

croadyman

So that's Jim, Knighton, the Saudis, Bezos, The Red Knights, Musk and Dubai buying the club. I'm sure I'm missing several out

All this apparent interest spanning a number of years and yet not a single bid, doesn't seem odd to anyone?
Yeah won't get excited until top sources report

Rightnr

:boring::boring::boring:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Always fascinating how many people immediately dislike an outspoken black man.
Tbh it doesn't stop there. You see it with women, other races, other classes etc. Unless they toe the line, in that case they're one of the good ones.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
This would be too steep for pretty much anyone. 3.75bn + 0.5bn to clear the debt + 1.0 bn for new facilities + 0.25 bn for new players.

That's 5.5bn to make the club first class all round.

Ridiculous!

red thru&thru

This would be too steep for pretty much anyone. 3.75bn + 0.5bn to clear the debt + 1.0 bn for new facilities + 0.25 bn for new players.

Ridiculous!
I have a feeling it would be with strategic partnerships. As I mentioned above:

SJR would purchase the club. Invesest in the playing squad.

Dubai would take control of the refurbishments/build of Manchester United village. They in return would get naming rights, and percentage of sales.

Highly unlikely an individual will do it all. But, there are some individuals out there with some deep pockets.

Rightnr

Ridiculous!
Chelsea went for 1bn less and the club actually owns the stadium and a lot of land, with a much bigger potential and existing fanbase than Chelsea.

Hardly outrageous to pay a 20% premium and given what's happened to the £/$ exchange rate, a US businessman would easily justify it

iato89

Ridiculous!
You are forgetting the money the club make, the 0.25b for players will be covered by the club - the issue is debt and new facilities