Sir Jim reportedly deems ETH's position not a priority unless results are particularly dire - missed opportunity or the right decision?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Season is pretty much gone. We could have a short term bump and push us in contention for Top 4 with a new Manager bounce. But I'd rather they look at all options and take their time rather than panic into a mistake. Imagine it'll be cheaper getting rid of ETH in the Summer too.

Wake me up in a few months.
Do you actually think this?

We seem to be getting rid of more players again this window and slowly getting players back for the second half of the season with only the FA cup (for now) and the league to focus on.

I think if Ten Hag can't do it when the injured players are back and the majority of the players he deemed not good enough gone, then he's been given a fair crack and no hard feelings from anyone when moving him on.

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
I think Ten Hag's time will come eventually, if they're seriously analysing the processes at the club then they need to examine that Antony transfer. I know he didn't set the price but he has culpability there.

I think he can save his job by dropping Antony and playing Diallo. He also needs Martinez to come back soon and perform to show that he isn't completely crazy thinking his Ajax guys could come in and do a job. If he does those things and the results go his way I think be earns himself a third season.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's good that ETH will sell of the few remaining bits of quality in the squad in this window, so that when the Next Rebuild does happen, even more buying will be needed.

Woziak

I read this as I’ve already got my man, but I can install him until my part ownership is ratified, Plus I’ve sent Sancho on loan and Greenwood loan is extended because the new DOF, Head of Recruitment and Manager fancy both of them and want Antony sold the day they arrive, Plus Players like Pellistri and Hanibal can go on loan to increase their sale value but we’ll have a good final look at Amad and see if he’s worth keeping around.

ETH has had his man united obituary read out possibly one month before he’s finally put out to graze. Just think the damage is so bad, I keep saying 14 defeats by January1st and there’s just no way back from that !

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm still not convinced they're going to do anything that different to what has already been happening, or that they'll have any clue what they are doing if they do, or have any remit to. Owning 25% of the club doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want and also makes it highly unlikely you'd invest a single penny that isn't leveraged in rhe exact same way any investment from the Glazers is. The only oedigree they have to go on is a faltering mid table side in the French league, which is far from encouraging as if you can't make a mark there, doing so in the PL is highly unlikely

I think people are lost in this desperateness of wanting something to happen. Anything that drastic would have involved the club being sold. The Glazers CHOSE not to sell the club. They wouldn't have done that for no reason I'm afraid

But IF they are looking to change things, it absolutely makes sense to work out what you want to do and what you want to change before you can decide who the right person is to oversee it. It's not juat about whether Ten Hag is the right person, its about knowing who the right person is before you have to try and find them

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Breaking: Manager won't be fired until the people tasked with deciding on the next one are in a position to do so!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't remember which exactly, but it's been on the news feed thing on my phone for months. Also seen Varane out threads come up on the front page here repeatedly.
Think in both cases INEOS want to offer them a renegotiated deal on lower wages, which both players don't like the sound of.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Short-term thinking.
I'd rather miss the CL next season and build properly, than just sacking ETH without a plan.
We will have most of our players back soon, light schedule so ETH has every chance to at least improve the performance. If he fails and we have the structure in place, then you make a decision.
If INEOS already have a plan in mind, then by all means sack him. I just want us to avoid another bad decision.
“Build properly” with even more demoralised and conditioned players who have then had even more mediocrity imprinted upon them? That’s the definition of fixing the front whilst the back-end is in disrepair. There’s also a swathe of youngsters here who the club are responsible for developing in the best, most constructive environment possible; leaving them to rot is not tending to the mid or long-term and is potentially ruinous in and of itself.

The notion we can piss entire seasons away is absurd. There’s no industry, not even football, where that is acceptable. In fact, in terms of new ownership, it makes sense if shares and negotiation strength are greased because we’ve tanked… but in any other aspect, you stop the leaks whilst tending to all of the pending issues.

So much of the talk on here has defeatist conditioning; like what’s happening is part of the process. It isn’t and it shouldn’t be.

JediSith

Makes sense. But also most likely a statement to stop player power trying to undermine him. I’ve heard, though not watched or read fully, that theres been a recent round of leaks trying shift blame onto the manager.

So with that in mind it’s a great statement to let the players know that they are the ones who deemed the biggest liabilities. Beneath the statement I think they will most likely be thinking “what if ETH doesn’t turn it around” and will be thinking about possible options in the summer. But again that’s not to say they will sack him, but it would be wise to already have options in mind just in case

wolvored

The thread heading implies a direct quote from SJR… the post doesn’t. Did he say that or is that the Guardian putting two and two together and get 115?
Its just sensationalism again from a poor media. Unless the same story is in 3/4 outlets at least its best to ignore it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The ownership doesn't care right now. They can't care right now. The only thing they would have to care about would be if you were at risk of relegation

Takeover happened with the absolute worst timing. Make your peace with it
It’s in the new owner’s interest for the season to be as it is for a number of financial and bargaining reasons, but it doesn’t make what’s happening any more tolerable.

I don't remember which exactly, but it's been on the news feed thing on my phone for months. Also seen Varane out threads come up on the front page here repeatedly.
In the business we call that a ”no”.

Can’t for a second imagine us selling either in out current situation. Would have to be a top tier source to make me even believe it possible.

DSG

Where is your source other than him signing ex players. Like I said, these players were all on his list of priorities, which is why they were signed. He doesn't do the transfer dealings, he just presents the list of players he wants.
It’s well known that he has veto power. This has been covered by the Athletic, ESPN and literally 50 other sources. In fact, he recently said he wanted to keep his veto power. Maybe he isn’t negotiating for the club, but at the very least, he could say no to shit signings. The fact that really only two transfers would be deemed a success (Casemiro and Lisandro), he’s absolutely culpable. So many were previous players.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...ag-trouble-ratcliffe-gets-started-man-united#

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...im-Ratcliffes-Dan-Ashworth-Paul-Mitchell.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ignings-veto-manchester-united-jim-ratcliffe/

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...n-Hag-Man-Utd-Sir-Jim-Ratcliffe-football-news

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So no, then.
In the business we call that a ”no”.

Can’t for a second imagine us selling either in out current situation. Would have to be a top tier source to make me even believe it possible.
I don't go into the transfer forum or seek out transfer news, stopped caring a while ago. But selling Varane, for example, would make sense given ETH's use of CBs this season.

Skills

Snitch
“Build properly” with even more demoralised and conditioned players who have then had even more mediocrity imprinted upon them? That’s the definition of fixing the front whilst the back-end is in disrepair. There’s also a swathe of youngsters here who the club are responsible for developing in the best, most constructive environment possible; leaving them to rot is not tending to the mid or long-term and is potentially ruinous in and of itself.

The notion we can piss entire seasons away is absurd. There’s no industry, not even football, where that is acceptable. In fact, in terms of new ownership, it makes sense if shares and negotiation strength are greased because we’ve tanked… but in any other aspect, you stop the leaks whilst tending to all of the pending issues.

So much of the talk on here has defeatist conditioning; like what’s happening is part of the process. It isn’t and it shouldn’t be.
If you look into the psyche and the pathological need of a long term manager for a Manchester United fan, letting the club sink to extreme depths is actually quite desirable for many of them.

The further the club sinks, the lower you keep the expectations and the longer the rebuild will be - so they can finally have a single long term manager. You just need to lower the expectations to the point, that anything competitive shouldn't be expected within the next decade.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
feck. Imagine when it gets dire

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It’s in the new owner’s interest for the season to be as it is for a number of financial and bargaining reasons, but it doesn’t make what’s happening any more tolerable.
Yep, it sucks. It is what it is, it makes no sense for them to make decisions they don't feel qualified to make right now

It's also the same thing with Sancho, now you are willing to send him out on loan and pay for it. Because it's not a permanent decision. The moment glazers and ratcliffe agreed to the sale Ten Hag became for all intent and purposes a caretaker

Crashoutcassius

If we make decisions to change to the structure to the point that it doesn't matter who the coach is then that will be fine. That should be the goal, that we can change the head coach without having to start all over again.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If ETH is one of 2 managers who have failed then its a bad decision.

However ALL of them have failed post Sir Alex so yeah the solution must be deeper than just replacing the manager. And we dont even need a new owner to be able to do that. I support fixing the root first so that if manager replacement is needed, we already have a plan of who will be the new manager after a thorough consideration and how is the club going to support him, is it a full transfer control, partial? working with a dof, etc.

#MurtoughOutNotDemoted

Last edited:

Waynne

Its the right call as others have said.

The problems we're facing in this club are not there because of Ten Hag. Fix the root cuase and then that will determine if Ten Hag is the best fit moving forward.

We also should not be spending a penny more on any new players until the assesment is complete.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
We've got to a point where losing 50 % of the games and having more or less nothing to play for by January is not 'dire'. Congrats to everyone who wanted this joker to buy the club.
I just hope it's all hearsay.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think ETH's sacking is inevitable but more likely after the season ends. Any coach worth his/her salt should be able to get results against mid table or relegation fodder from the squad we have. A re-structure doesn't need to happen for the team to get the basics right. That's on ETH

United888

I think ETH's sacking is inevitable but more likely after the season ends. Any coach worth his/her salt should be able to get results against mid table or relegation fodder from the squad we have. A re-structure doesn't need to happen for the team to get the basics right. That's on ETH
To understand the right profile manager we are looking for as ETH's replacement, the club needs to have structure to reflect the objective, the playing style, the process, and etc. For example, let's say if the news about us not giving power to the manager for transfer is true, then you need to find manager who wants to work like that. You don't want hire a new manager then set new structure then the new manager decides to re-sign because he is unhappy with the new structure,

Re-structure is far more important than sacking manager right now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How on earth ETH is not dire and not a priority to axe?
Because you're not getting entirely dire results, and INEOS doesn't have football experts lying about they can consult to make these decisions. Ineos sacking Ten Hag and replacing him right now would be the same as Woodward and co. with Ole, Rangnick, etc... most likely money lit on fire

Until they've got a new front office and executives in place, including competent, experienced and trusted people to run the football operations, they aren't going to touch those unless they are given no other choice

NLunited

Most likely scenario here is that the club is fecked in many ways and replacing the manager is not the most important feckup.

It be expensive for one.

Pscholes18

I think ETH deserves a full summer/season with a proper DoF to build a team that can compete fir trophies.

He'll need to explain to Mitchell and Co exactly the type of system he wants and thebnlet them go to work.

hobbers

I think ETH deserves a full summer/season with a proper DoF to build a team that can compete fir trophies.

He'll need to explain to Mitchell and Co exactly the type of system he wants and thebnlet them go to work.
Just not happening. Nor should it.

He won't get sacked until all the appointments have been made above him, but there is zero chance he gets a new contract in the summer on current trajectory. Which means bye-bye because you're hardly keeping a manager on the last year of his current deal.

frostbite

You are completely right!

I don't understand why some posters believe that the prerequisite to win the league is to hit rock bottom!

There are actually two obvious prerequisites to win the league: 1) add some world-class players, and 2) have all our players play like a well-drilled team. For the first we need money and correct judgment, for the second we need a world-class manager. Nothing will improve if we miss Europe or if we hit rock bottom.

It is also obvious that the owners, any owners, would love to have the team win it all. Even if the owners only care about their pockets, obviously they can earn more money if the team is successful. It is elementary.

The Urban Goose

Nothing will improve if we miss Europe or if we hit rock bottom.
Yes, you're spot on, a season out of Europe so that the team can focus on the league and have more time to be coached into a new style of play, rather than bounce from game to travel to game without time to think, will never bring improvement. I mean, look at Liverpool's first 6 seasons under Klopp.

What? Oh....

Mr Smith

Can we not scrutinize every sentence that is being said and sensationalize it? INEOS just got their foot on the door. Let them assess the situation and analyze the issue before making big decisions. If it means giving ETH till end of season so be it. We are going to have a mediocre season, write it off and move on.
This. You all need to calm down. It's totally reasonable to want to sort out the executive team before evaluating the manager, especially when there is not an obvious viable alternative.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good. They can replace him eventually. Right now the immediate action has to be reboot the club structurally especially at executive level.

Cloud7

Jim isn’t going to release a statement after his first meeting with the manager saying “Yeah he’s a Pep Guardiola is my idol. We’ll be getting rid of him soon.” He has to be diplomatic. There are a lot of issues that need looking into in the club, and while things are as bad as they’ve been in a long time right now, we aren’t exactly at risk of anything (except another demoralizing season) so it does make sense for them to appraise the club as a whole and start fixing what needs fixing.

To be clear I also think this includes replacing ETH and barring something miraculous I certainly don’t see him starting next season as our manager, but I don’t necessarily think that getting rid of him has to be done with immediate effect. Obviously if we continue losing every other game then getting him out might become a more pressing issue.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure if this is the right thread, but one of the arguments against replacing him is "we've tried replacing managers before, it hasn't worked". but if you extend that outward, it quickly becomes ridiculous.
"We've tried buying players before, it doesn't work." In fact, just as the managers can get more specific (we've tried many different types of managers), this one can too:

"We've tried buying big name prime age talents for big money and it's been mixed" - Pogba, Sancho, AdM, Bruno, Onana, Shaw, Mata
"We've tried buying big name players for their last few years with mostly bad results" - Ronaldo, Cavani, Casemiro, Varane, Sanchez, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Falcao.
"We've tired buying solid sensible PL players with bad results" - Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Maguire
"We've tired buying decent-level foreign talent with mixed or bad results" - Blind, Herrera, Fred, Lindelof, Bailly, Martial, DVB, Antony, Telles, Malacia
"We've tried buying young talent with mixed or bad results" - Dan James, Pellistri, Amad
"We've tried promoting youth with mixed or bad results" - Rashford, McTominay, Mainoo, Lingard, Pereira, Henderson, Blackett, McNair, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, James Wilson
We've tried clever cheap loans with mostly bad results" - Amrabat, Weghorst, Sabitzer, Reguilon

So, if we can't replace a manager because it's been done before, can we buy any player of any type at all?

jeepers

The manager isn’t the biggest problem the club has, clearly. And it’s been shown with the other managers as well. We don’t buy well. We have no proper structure. No ideology. No professionalism. No nuance. We have been made a very average football club, with a fantastic and rich history.

Get structure in place first. Decide how United football will be executed and played. Then if the current manager can’t/won’t do it, find a replacement who will.

As much as I am for keeping EtH, this is the only way forward. He has been destroyed by injuries (is it the worst in our history? I think Fergie had pretty shit injuries as well but our second team was at least decent back then). Our current first team isn’t even that great, let alone those that can step in to cover the injuries (I’m mainly referring to McT). Take away the pressure buying players from him, make sure we identify the profiles we want, and five options in case the first choice doesn’t want to come / his club doesn’t want to sell / price is prohibitive.