Sir Jim reportedly deems ETH's position not a priority unless results are particularly dire - missed opportunity or the right decision?

Denis79

He'll stay while they get a structure in place, by next season he'll be gone unless something dramatic happens.

padzilla

Hipster
I don't see any reason why it's unreasonable for Ineos to want to assess matters first hand before reaching a decision.

Balljy

I don't see any reason why it's unreasonable for Ineos to want to assess matters first hand before reaching a decision.
I said in another thread that some fans will lose patience with Ineos because they seem quite methodical and I can imagine them wanting to do it properly with a plan. It'll probably be 18 months until we start seeing proper progress, but it's the right thing to do and is the only way we'll get back to the top long term. We're a bit of a mess at the moment, and that's not a quick fix.

What I didn't realise is that patience would run out before they're even controlling things :lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We gain nothing by sacking him now. He only has another 18 months left on his contract and that time should be spent getting a new structure in place and trimming the fat from the squad. If next season he is able to work successfully with the squad that the new sporting director has started to assemble, it may be worth extending his contract. I find that pretty doubtful though.

Let him run down his contract and save the money we'd use to pay him off to invest in the future of the club. We really need to start thinking long-term and no more Varane and Casemiro type signings and obviously Ten Hag's say in transfers should be minimal.
If you are going to let failing managers just run down their contracts to save sacking them and paying them off, then that really is a long term approach. Probably an approach that could see no success in Ratcliffe's lifetime, if that's what he plans to do.

Revan

Assumptionman
Can't that guy sack ETH, then?
The acting CEO is the current general counsel (chief lawyer). He is there to essentially sign stuff, contracts etc.

Obviously, if Glazers and SJR agree to sack EtH, they can tell the acting CEO to do so and he will do so. But SJR is interested to first build a football structure and then see what to do with the manager, players etc.

As long as this does not happen for longer than 2-3 months, that is the correct decision IMO. Essentially, by end of May, they should already know whom do they want in charge next season, what players have a future here, and what players do we want to sign.

If EtH is here by pre-season, then I will join you worrying about the club and the leadership of the new stewards

Shark

@NotShark
Not knee jerk enough for the fans.
How is it knee jerk to not want your club to continue losing on a near weekly basis and stumbling further down the table? just because a new ''structure'' is being built it doesn't mean any fan should accept that. The manager needs to show he is capable of guiding us until the end of the season which he is failing miserably to do.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We've not seen a 'credible source' claim the Potter link is pure hokum, either, have we? Nor can you offer one up.

The links work under probability. Given Ratcliffe's
political and ideological advocations, hiring 'British' is a favourable narrative. Put 'Manchester' back into United, or somesuch. It is all quite possible. Hence publication.

It's how these things work.

Anyway, the discussion about EtH's obviation has to include who it is will be his replacement. We don't decide, rather Ineos will.
That’s a false equivalency though.

The British media (who are mainly sh!te) are clickbait artists.

So, they’ll use United to say “it might be Potter” to generate clicks and likes... from United fans pro/anti Potter, from other fans who will generally laugh.

But they won’t tweet “Potter won’t be United manager”, partly because it’s boring and people will ignore, and partly because they won’t commit to something this definitive.

(and again (not just for you), this Guardian article is NOTHING.. see post 33. It’s a pretend “source” and them saying “which means xxx”. There‘s no source and it’s purely The Guardian….. generating clicks. Shock horror).

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Any new "leader" of an organisation will have short, medium and long term goals they want to achieve.

The INEOS people will ultimately want to have some success in the short term and they'll probably believe that with a better structure behind the scenes, Ten Hag can do that. Even if that "success" is getting to the later stages of the cup and playing a better brand of football.

Longer term is more interesting and that's probably where we'll see a new manager come in.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Zoom out a bit. Focus on not just this season, but the last 10 seasons post SAF.

See this lost decade?

Yeah, that's why a lot of us aren't getting hard to the idea of another sacking being the only thing between us and long term success.
I am not talking about long term success either. I am talking about this season and breathing some life into it by getting an interim for a manager that has been a dead man walking since the first few games. In the meantime, the long term planning can continue in the background. One is not dependent on or restricted the other.

But do you trust whoever has been overseeing the last decade to make a decision on who to bring in next when we fire ten Hag?
Isn't the thread about Jimmy Brexit and team unwilling to make the decision unless things get dire? I thought the discussion was based on that conjecture.

Rangnick really saved our season didn't he, the thing about interim managers is you can't find coaches as Rangnick found out be that brexit or 1st rate coaches not wanting to leave a good job for a 6 month job, we lucked out with Ole that one time and even by the end of the season we'd burned all that new manager bounce and results folded.

Also the little digs at Jim Ratcliffe being a Manchester boy come across as very immature.
Are we not going to get another manager because the 5 or 6 since Sir Alex left failed? We are, right? In the same way, getting burned with Rangnick doesn't mean we should not try to get another temporary appointment to make something out of this season instead of declaring it dead midway.

Also, Ole started his stint like a house on fire and we had some brilliant games and excitement back. Chelsea has had big successes under temporary appointments. Most relegation threatened teams make managerial changes to breathe life into their campaigns for a chance at survival. Imagine clubs just sticking with managers with whom nothing is working out well because they need to "sort shit out first". I, personally, don't get that line of thinking.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yeah and maybe Martial will start trying in games too. Rashford as well. Miracles do happen that what I tell myself when I buy my lottery tickets.
surely we have the new structure in place it’s just timing re takeover etc.
That’s just halve of the problem. The new structure will get rid of the deadwood and players who put 0% effort in, and we’ll sign hopefully young hungry players. Also what I’d like to see and I heard about this when ETH took over about a wage cap. Limit how much each player earns and add on performance bonuses. Guarantee you see a lot more effort from players.

Also, Ole started his stint like a house on fire and we had some brilliant games and excitement back.
Most relegation threatened teams make managerial changes to breathe life into their campaigns for a chance at survival.
Ole’s s great example of how hit and miss it is.
He, as you say, started off like a house on fire, then turned to utter dogshit, ultimately ending that season in the exact position Mourinho had us in when fired. (6th).

Ole was also parachuted in for Cardiff to save them from the drop, which went terribly.

Fairly often it goes pretty shite with caretakers, as it did for Lampard, Hiddink’s second caretaker stint was crap, Ragnick too, so let’s not pretend it’s some recipe for success. I’m sure we all fondly remember Alan Shearer’s stint as manager of Newcastle.
Chelsea’s best mid-season change has to be Tuchel, who wasn’t an interim, but in fact a new top drawer permanent manager.

I’m sure no-one thinks or expects INEOS to bring in a new long term manager now, so barring examples of actual managerial changes, how often have caretakers done an amazing turn around job? Because I’m betting more often than not a temporary manager doesn’t inspire incredible change.

Last edited:

parmenio

That’s just halve of the problem. The new structure will get rid of the deadwood and players who put 0% effort in, and we’ll sign hopefully young hungry players. Also what I’d like to see and I heard about this when ETH took over about a wage cap. Limit how much each player earns and add on performance bonuses. Guarantee you see a lot more effort from players.
Totally understand that and I agree with what it seems Ineos are trying to achieve. What I can’t fathom is in what way will we achieve success with ETH at the helm.

SonOfFergie

ETH has his faults but some of them are a doing of existing leadership structure incompetence (late signings for extortionate fees, many known players ETH worked with). He also comes across as quite stubborn but with recent benching of Rashford and revival of Maguire I still get a feeling that he is strict but fair. If you perform there is a way into the team.

What I would do if injured players return and we start to play reasonably well before end of season is that a transfer committee should identify and sign young perspective hungry players on contracts heavily incentivized with performance related bonuses that the club identified for their vision and style of play. Of course not totally negating the manager input but definitely reduce his power in signing players. Sell deadwood. Sign 4-5 new players by the summer and give ETH half more year until January 2025.

Part of the reason for that is also that I don't see some other outstanding candidates for United job that would have pedigree that would guarantee better results with existing squad quality. Elite tier Pep, Klopp, Carlo is out of reach, other than that outside of few flavor of the month managers I don't see any gettable or particularly attractive manager that we could pursue.

Hammondo

How is it knee jerk to not want your club to continue losing on a near weekly basis and stumbling further down the table? just because a new ''structure'' is being built it doesn't mean any fan should accept that. The manager needs to show he is capable of guiding us until the end of the season which he is failing miserably to do.
So who would you sign then?

Hammondo

I am not talking about long term success either. I am talking about this season and breathing some life into it by getting an interim for a manager that has been a dead man walking since the first few games. In the meantime, the long term planning can continue in the background. One is not dependent on or restricted the other.

Isn't the thread about Jimmy Brexit and team unwilling to make the decision unless things get dire? I thought the discussion was based on that conjecture.

Are we not going to get another manager because the 5 or 6 since Sir Alex left failed? We are, right? In the same way, getting burned with Rangnick doesn't mean we should not try to get another temporary appointment to make something out of this season instead of declaring it dead midway.

Also, Ole started his stint like a house on fire and we had some brilliant games and excitement back. Chelsea has had big successes under temporary appointments. Most relegation threatened teams make managerial changes to breathe life into their campaigns for a chance at survival. Imagine clubs just sticking with managers with whom nothing is working out well because they need to "sort shit out first". I, personally, don't get that line of thinking.
Who do you want us to get as interim?

Also Chelsea's changing manager style is why they are in a bigger mess than we are.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Totally understand that and I agree with what it seems Ineos are trying to achieve. What I can’t fathom is in what way will we achieve success with ETH at the helm.
Who do you suggest replace him then? He’s not been given a fair chance where he has a proper structure above him. Not one manager we’ve had as. He won a trophy in his first year and came 3rd. That’s a successful first season considering the squad we have. Once we get rid of some more drama queens and players that cause trouble then he’ll create an happy environment and a happy environment is a winning one.

evil_geko

Good decision, anyone thinking of this as a negative should give their head a wobble.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Who do you want us to get as interim?

Also Chelsea's changing manager style is why they are in a bigger mess than we are.
That's not even remotely true though. Their strategy under Abramovich of changing managers at the first time of trouble worked for them more often than not, and resulted in them saving quite a few otherwise crap seasons that would've otherwise just been written off.

The state they're in now is more due to actions they've taken under their new ownership, a completely separate issue altogether.

Gavinb33

Ole’s s great example of how hit and miss it is.
He, as you say, started off like a house on fire, then turned to utter dogshit, ultimately ending that season in the exact position Mourinho had us in when fired. (6th).

Ole was also parachuted in for Cardiff to save them from the drop, which went terribly.

Fairly often it goes pretty shite with caretakers, as it did for Lampard, Hiddink’s second caretaker stint was crap, Ragnick too, so let’s not pretend it’s some recipe for success. I’m sure we all fondly remember Alan Shearer’s stint as manager of Newcastle.
Chelsea’s best mid-season change has to be Tuchel, who wasn’t an interim, but in fact a new top drawer permanent manager.

I’m sure no-one thinks or expects INEOS to bring in a new long term manager now, so barring examples of actual managerial changes, how often have caretakers done an amazing turn around job? Because I’m betting more often than not a temporary manager doesn’t inspire incredible change.
Exactly interims are rarely a success and unless Ineos know what the new DoF wants and who we can get as a new manager and not an interim why change when all it will create is new uncertainty, especially with coaching Mclaren, Van De Gaag and others will likely go with EtH and then you need not only an interim manager but coaches too which is hard to get 1st class appointments for on short contracts as I said a few pages back it's what set Rangnick back lack of 1st choice coaching appointments

That's not even remotely true though. Their strategy under Abramovich of changing managers at the first time of trouble worked for them more often than not,
Hmmmm… their caretakers:

They fluked out on Di Matteo obviously as they were utter shite still in the league, finishing 6th. We have no CL so no such fluke possible.

Benitez did decent enough.

Hiddink had one good and one “meh” spell as interim, so 50/50.

Lampard was truly awful as interim.

I’m not so sure their interim record is that good.

crossy1686

career ending
Hmmmm… their caretakers:

They fluked out on Di Matteo obviously as they were utter shite still in the league, finishing 6th. We have no CL so no such fluke possible.

Benitez did decent enough.

Hiddink had one good and one “meh” spell as interim, so 50/50.

Lampard was truly awful as interim.

I’m not so sure their interim record is that good.
Avram Grant was an interim to start with also and he got them to a CL final.

They’ve had more hits than misses with interims, it works when you have a clear plan and something left to play for.

Shark

@NotShark
So who would you sign then?
It's not my job to do that, I'd assume the brilliant new structure and personnel that we're putting in place can make that key decision, as opposed to the club falling further into the abyss this season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
And team selection. And training. And in-game substitutions.
We cannot judge him until we have built him a footballing structure that will relief him of those duties, none of which should have ever been part of his job.

hobbers

We cannot judge him until we have built him a footballing structure that will relief him of those duties, none of which should have ever been part of his job.
Exactly. He should just be making the tea and bringing the donuts.

Avram Grant was an interim to start with also and he got them to a CL final.

They’ve had more hits than misses with interims, it works when you have a clear plan and something left to play for.
If we say:

Grant - Good
Di Matteo - Good
Hiddink 1 - Good
Benitez - Good

Hiddink 2 - meh
Lampard - shite

I’d argue the 4 first spells there simply had much better players than the latter two.
Then we have…..

Ole - took over 6th, finished 6th
Ragnick - shite

Shearer - shite
Kinnear - shite

Stellini - shite

crossy1686

career ending
If we say:

Grant - Good
Di Matteo - Good
Hiddink 1 - Good
Benitez - Good

Hiddink 2 - meh
Lampard - shite

I’d argue the 4 first spells there simply had much better players than the latter two.
Then we have…..

Ragnick - shite

Shearer - shite
Kinnear - shite

Stellini - shite
I’d suggest that Ten Hag is an interim at this point and is currently failing his audition to keep his job post INEOS investigation.

Rista

You just made an argument for keeping the manager. We have tried everything else except that.

INEOS restructuring is the next thing we try, if that fails :confused:
He's just pointing out how stupid the "we've tried..." logic is. We haven't tried keeping a failing manager because it's too dumb of a decision even for us to make. You know what we haven't tried yet? Hiring a competent manager who's the right fit for the club.

Herman Toothrot

Let's face it, whatever INEOS do will never make those who pinned their hopes, dreams and dignity on The Fake Sheikh happy.

He's just pointing out how stupid the "we've tried..." logic is. We haven't tried keeping a failing manager because it's too dumb of a decision even for us to make. You know what we haven't tried yet? Hiring a competent manager who's the right fit for the club.
Which obviously aint gonna happen until Ineos have all their appointments in place and they have time to discuss and headhunt the best option.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If we say:

Grant - Good
Di Matteo - Good
Hiddink 1 - Good
Benitez - Good

Hiddink 2 - meh
Lampard - shite

Then we have…..

Ragnick - shite

Shearer - shite
Kinnear - shite

Stellini - shite
Sure, but the argument I was addressing was one that said that Chelsea changing managers is why they're in this mess. I'm not necessarily saying we need an interim now or making the claim that one will save our season. If INEOS want to wait to get the other appointments in place first, I completely understand.

Rista

Which obviously aint gonna happen until Ineos have all their appointments in place and they have time to discuss and headhunt the best option.
Probably. But I'm not expecting it to happen on the first try either. We can't wait until everything is perfect and all stars are aligned to do anything.

Gavinb33

If we say:

Grant - Good
Di Matteo - Good
Hiddink 1 - Good
Benitez - Good

Hiddink 2 - meh
Lampard - shite

Then we have…..

Ragnick - shite

Shearer - shite
Kinnear - shite

Stellini - shite
Avram Grant taking over Jose's 1st stint was laughable really, that team just continued to play exactly like a Jose team he didn't do anything