Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year 2022/2023

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As Casemiro will have not played in a quater of our league games, I think that rules him out now.

Between Rashford and Martinez, and I lean Rashford.

daveskimufc

Whilst he has been out best player, after 2 reds they can't give it to Casemiro now.

Shaw has looked world class in games, but then in others looks like a youth player.

Think it's gotta be Rashford, followed closely by martinez

Red Star One

Whilst he has been out best player, after 2 reds they can't give it to Casemiro now.

Shaw has looked world class in games, but then in others looks like a youth player.

Think it's gotta be Rashford, followed closely by martinez
Fully agreed with the first and third sentences. Shaw has been overall excellent this season and he's up there in top3-5 players of the year, no doubt.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Only Rashford, Casemiro, Martinez and Varane in the conversation for me.

Without Rashford finding his scoring boots again we'd be in all kinds of bother so it's got to be him for me. The others have been fantastic though.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Nicky Butt:

"I think everyone will point to Marcus Rashford, with the goals he's scored. Obviously, David De Gea and Casemiro have been phenomenal as well. I think I would go for Marcus because of the goals and he had a bad time for a year or two, where people were questioning him before, and he's come back stronger. Credit to him. Those would be the three, certainly the three you'd be picking from."

Dion Dublin:

"I'd have to go Marcus Rashford because of the way he's come back, the way he's concentrated on getting his mindset and his body ready for a really gruelling season. I just think he's concentrated on the simple things and done them really well. So Marcus is the obvious one and I would give it to him because of the way he's scored his goals. He's been consistent as centre-forward/winger and been in a purple patch. He deserves it as a young man, even though he's one of the seniors with so many young players around him, and you have to give it to Marcus.

"But I do believe David De Gea, as well, has made some incredible saves and kept United in games. Others have played well but David is a close second. Credit where credit is due, if you perform consistently, you need to be rewarded for that. Luke Shaw has been great, to be able to be shifted from left-back to left-sided centre-back, he's not really looked out of place and been brilliant. The manager trusts him to do that.

"Casemiro has been great, just with a blip of late with the red cards, but he's taking United back to the standard where they should be. He's upped that standard. There are lots in contention and that is what I like about this season."

Gary Pallister:

"I mean Marcus Rashford, with the bounce back he has had in form, has been superb. I think we can all see apparently he's been away and worked on his fitness and his strength in the summer. Any time you do that, you get your just rewards for it. It's something he's done off his own back and fair play to him. You can see the strength in him now, he's got stronger, got his head down and is just concentrating on his football. You're seeing a fantastic Marcus Rashford at the moment, with his goals and assists. I think Lisandro Martinez is slowly becoming a fans' favourite. The partnership with Raphael Varane is looking really good, a silk-and-steel partnership. We've seen that over the years at the club, even before me and Steve Bruce, with Martin Buchan and Gordon McQueen, players like that.

"It is a nice balance to have. I think Varane has been good, Luke Shaw has been excellent, but the fans have really warmed to Martinez. He's brought a real tenacity to the team. Obviously, I think Casemiro has been a standout, with a bit of quality we've needed in the middle of the park. I mean, you've got Scott McTominay and Fred with great energy levels and getting about, but we've seen in the past that Casemiro and Christian Eriksen, along with Bruno Fernandes in there, have given the team another dimension. But, yeah, I think for the impact Marcus has had, I would probably go with him."

Paul Scholes:

"I think it would have to be Casemiro, for now, with the difference he has made in the team. At the time when he signed, I was a little bit dubious, I thought he was a little bit old and wondered has he got the legs to play at Old Trafford, such a big pitch. He's proved me so wrong since he came into the team. His ability on the ball was even a little bit surprising, when you looked at Real Madrid and were thinking of Toni Kroos and Luka Modric all the time. But he's brilliant on the ball and chipped in with goals. He's led the team and has made a huge difference to this team. I think I'd go for Casemiro."

m1tch

Great sign that it's difficult to choose, great sign that it's not the goalkeeper. Tempted to say Rashford for the goals, but feels bad to not recognise Casemiro's huge impact. I know if I voted for Casemiro I'd feel bad about not recognising what Rashford has done for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It will be Casemiero or Rashford but it should be Martinez

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Could be any one of Casemiro, Rashford, Martinez or Lindelof
Why Lindelof?

Should be Martinez, by far the most consistent over the season, with a very very high level. For me he's played more than Casemiro, and has been just about as good with fewer poorer matches (City, Liverpool mainly).

Rashford has not been as consistent in his play, but that run after the world cup was just phenomenal. And there is a huge bias towards attackers ofcourse. Would understand him getting it.

lex talionis

Who decides this award?

Others have said it already but I'll repeat the three and only three candidates: Rashford, Casemiro and Martinez. Probably Rashford in the end, but Casemiro is a pretty decent shout too.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Who decides this award?

Others have said it already but I'll repeat the three and only three candidates: Rashford, Casemiro and Martinez. Probably Rashford in the end, but Casemiro is a pretty decent shout too.
Anyone with an account on the club's official website can vote.

Irwin99

Still think it's Rashford, followed by Casemiro, and then Martinez. Honourable mentions go to Varane, Bruno and Shaw. Fred and De Gea have done very well at certain periods too.

I will say Martinez's consistency has been pretty remarkable and he's unlucky not to get more mentions. Very very rarely has a bad game and his passing accuracy must be 88-90% , and as we all know he plays it forward a lot.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rashford - I don’t see how you can look past him, he’s been outrageous
Casemiro - Unbelievable player has transformed our midfield
Martinez - Vidic defending with Ferdinand culture and so consistent

DeGea - A couple of wobbles, but he’s been consistently very good this season
Varane - A Rolls Royce he’s been superb
Eriksen - Steady over the season and decent stats for a DLP until his injury

Others have been patchy like Dalot, Shaw, Bruno, Antony and Sancho with good, bad and indifferent but the whole squad has performed much better than last season. It’s nice to have three genuine contenders and three genuine outsiders beyond them. A testament to ETH.

Tarrou

Rashford for me, amazing that he’s recovered to this level

I’d pretty much written him off too, just thought the injuries had ruined him

Speako

Rashford will win it, but the impact Martinez has made in his first season at a new club, stepping up into the Premier League, has been outstanding.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It's Rashford, but a bit surprised to see no mention of Bruno behind Martinez and possibly Casemiro who has sort of been ruled out after missing 8 matches through suspension.

Hoof the ball

Martinez has one bad game, like the rest of the team and he's out of the running? He gets my vote.
These things skew towards forwards. A defender can objectively perform better in more games that season, but if the forward bangs them in, it's a lock that the forward will win it. How we identify individual merit is flawed.

BehemothTerror

Rashford or Casemiro, but its nice we can actually have multiple names (3+) in the discussion for the first time in ages

GueRed

1. Casemiro
2. Rashford
3. Martinez

If the season ended today these would be my top 3.

Eriksen would've been in with a shout pre-injury.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Martinez. No matter how bad we're playing as a team he's still giving 100% game in game out. His attitude can't be faulted. Casemiro could of been in with a shout as he has the same drive but he's missing too many games to be in contention for me.

Hughie77

Rashford will probably get it. But even though he's missed games through stupid suspensions Casimero has been on a level of consistency to no other.... Martinez is close.. 1.. Rashford 2.. Casimero.. 3.. Martinez..

Rockets Redglare

Martinez. No matter how bad we're playing as a team he's still giving 100% game in game out. His attitude can't be faulted. Casemiro could of been in with a shout as he has the same drive but he's missing too many games to be in contention for me.
You can’t give a centre back the player of the year when we’ve shipped so many goals.