Skripal Novichok Case

hobbers

They were probably at the very lowest level at the GRU. Whoever sent them knew they'd be forever burning them as useful operatives.

nickm

Not picking on your post, just pointing out these guys are wanted for the crimes of murdering one person and trying to murder two others. It’s easy to forget that amongst all the hilarity.

Neo_Mufc

So with the latest documentation release, has the Russian media maintained their high levels of decorum?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm finding this whole scenario bizarre, firstly their story sounds dodgy as feck but watching that interview those guys don't give the impression they are professional assassins. Saying that, the TV interview could be a performance too. Like i said before we probably won't ever find out the truth.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ru...nnabis-prostitutes-75-night-London-hotel.html

No way these jokers are assassin's ordered by Putin to eliminate Skirpal. Maybe someone asked them to go to Salisbury though, could be a gay couple, lots of possibilities... Overall for me they make the UK government narrative less credible.

Unless more info comes out we'll never know for sure. Where is Skirpal anyway?

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ru...nnabis-prostitutes-75-night-London-hotel.html

No way these jokers are assassin's ordered by Putin to eliminate Skirpal. Maybe someone asked them to go to Salisbury though, could be a gay couple, lots of possibilities... Overall for me they make the UK government narrative less credible.

Agreed. An innocent gay couple that work in fitness with zero inconsistencies in their story. Whoever they are they're definitely not employees of the Russian defence ministry.

P.S. - I'm somewhat of an expert in this field so you can trust my judgement. After all I've seen three James Bond movies and The Bourne Identity.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

Last night a Russian government spokeswoman rejected the claims and suggested that the website must have links to Western intelligence agencies because its information about Petrov and Boshirov’s passports had come from a database which was not publicly available.
Firstly she rejects the claims and then virtually confirms that the details are from a Russian database.

Makes the government case more credible does it not?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Common sense would indicate that the way these guys behaved, they were not on a covert assassination mission. It's just obvious isn't it? So many logical inconsistencies in the way they behaved and in what's happened afterwards.

Nothing about the way the attempted "assassination" of Skripal went down according to the official narrative or the supposed perpetrators make sense. I still can't see how any intelligent person could buy what Theresa May is saying. The chances of these guys volunteering themselves for trial seems pretty slim. So I doubt we'll ever find out, or not for a very long time.

Hammerfell

Common sense would indicate that the way these guys behaved, they were not on a covert assassination mission. It's just obvious isn't it? So many logical inconsistencies in the way they behaved and in what's happened afterwards.

Nothing about the way the attempted "assassination" of Skripal went down according to the official narrative or the supposed perpetrators make sense. I still can't see how any intelligent person could buy what Theresa May is saying. The chances of these guys volunteering themselves for trial seems pretty slim. So I doubt we'll ever find out, or not for a very long time.
Well said, comrade.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

They were filmed 5 minutes away from the Skripal house in a residential area, having walked out of the train station in the opposite direction from all the city's tourist sights - and this having visited Salisbury the previous day. The Skripals fell ill in the following hours.

Some coincidence huh?

NinjaFletch

So you believe they travelled thousands of miles to visit a cathedral they never bothered actually visiting?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's entirely possible they were in Salisbury to meet with Skripal, or others, and likely someone sent them there or they had some other motivation, they weren't there for the Cathedral (lol). That makes sense from the evidence presented. It doesn't make sense that they were there to (to try and fail) kill him with novichok or any other way... Just look at how they behaved.

It had occurred to me that they might have been attempting to buy chemicals / nerve / bio / weapons or something from him or others in Salisbury, possibly connected to Porton Down?, maybe related to the fact they seem to be in the (illegal?) sports nutrition business? They went there twice as well, meeting someone about a deal perhaps?

It's all speculation though. It would be interesting if they did submit themselves for trial, and Skirpal and others were called as witnesses, to find out what was really going on. Very little chance of that happening unfortunately.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
It's entirely possible they were in Salisbury to meet with Skripal, or others, and likely someone sent them there or they had some other motivation, they weren't there for the Cathedral (lol). That makes sense from the evidence presented. It doesn't make sense that they were there to (to try and fail) kill him with novichok or any other way... Just look at how they behaved.

It had occurred to me that they might have been attempting to buy chemicals / nerve / bio / weapons or something from him or others in Salisbury, possibly connected to Porton Down?, maybe related to the fact they seem to be in the (illegal?) sports nutrition business? They went there twice as well, meeting someone about a deal perhaps?

It's all speculation though. It would be interesting if they did submit themselves for trial, and Skirpal and others were called as witnesses, to find out what was really going on. Very little chance of that happening unfortunately.
So are you leaning towards the fact that they may have been set up or it was just a coincidence that this all kicked off in Salisbury at the same time as they were up to some shady dealing?

Classical Mechanic

So are you leaning towards the fact that they may have been set up or it was just a coincidence that this all kicked off in Salisbury at the same time as they were up to some shady dealing?
Naturally it was a coincidence whilst the real highly skilled Russian assassins (that FAILED their mission) disappeared into the ether.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep

Those Russian assassins sure know how to party. It's obvious now why they failed to kill their intended target, couldn't think straight after
the night of weed smoking and hooker banging. I blame it on hangover.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Those Russians just don't quit do they :lol::lol:. Maybe they came to see the cathedral after seeing their comrades RT interview? That spire is pretty impressive...

If this does turn out to be related to the previous incidents, can't wait to hear the explanation.

hobbers

Has anyone considered the possibility that Russians might actually just use Novichok as an aftershave?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think it’s mainly aimed at the Russian populace. Who are so cowed from years of being under Putin’s thumb that the Russian government doesn’t even need to try very hard when it comes to state propaganda. I heard a fascinating interview with Masha Gessen on the Sam Harris podcast. He was asking what the view of the Russian public was of the whole Trump-Putin entanglement and she said they don't have a view. They've been living in a totalitarian society for so long, the only opinions they hold are those broadcast on state TV. Polls show that 86% of Russian citizens consistently concur with whatever propaganda they are fed. If Putin says the US is a friend of Russia then that is immediately accepted. If he says it's an enemy then so be it. Basically, they'll swallow up any old shit at this stage. Which is what seems to be happening here.
Masha is a horribly biased "journalist" though, she had made her whole career by being the same propagandist, just with the opposite agenda. As usually, the truth is somewhere in between — Russian public has it's own opinions on the matter (especially when we're talking about Moscow/St. Petersburg residents), although obviously what's being said on TV heavily influences general population.

TheReligion

Abusive

You're off your head :lol:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You're off your head :lol:
Just trying to be logical, they aren't assassins, and clearly weren't there to see the Cathedral. So what were they doing there, and why go twice?

Also why did Putin / RT put out this ridiculous interview with them? No one believed what they were saying, it was utterly laughable. Who was it aimed at? Other intelligence agencies? Some trolling maybe? Who knows?, waiting to see if more info from the incident last night.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just trying to be logical, they aren't assassins, and clearly weren't there to see the Cathedral. So what were they doing there, and why go twice?

Also why did Putin / RT put out this ridiculous interview with them? No one believed what they were saying, it was utterly laughable. Who was it aimed at? Other intelligence agencies? Some trolling maybe? Who knows?, waiting to see if more info from the incident last night.
Who says they weren't there to kill the Skirpels? It's obvious they were involved in it. They were caught on CCTV near the offence location and it's quite clear they work for the government.

I would say the actual evidence points towards them being a) responsible for the murder/attempt murders and/or b) them being involved in a Russian conspiracy to murder.

nickm

Who says they weren't there to kill the Skirpels? It's obvious they were involved in it. They were caught on CCTV near the offence location and it's quite clear they work for the government.

I would say the actual evidence points towards them being a) responsible for the murder/attempt murders and/or b) them being involved in a Russian conspiracy to murder.
Let's not forget the traces of novichok found in their hotel room.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think at this stage it is highly unlikely they weren't the killers. Russian likes public messages reminding people what happens to traitors.

And spraying this stuff on a door handle hardly requires much skill. That said it sounds like they sent dumb and dumber give they disposed of the Novichk in a place that endangered the public.

I can't see how this wasn't authorised at a senior level if not the most senior level.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure if you mean betray or portray? :p
Slip of the tongue? Maybe thinking about Theresa May? :lol:

Genuinely think people have lost their minds with the Trump Russia stuff that has been going on... The Skripals didn't even die, only Dawn Sturgess who picked up the perfume bottle afterwards. Frankly I'd question if it even was Novichok? I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the details of the weapon but it seems that 3/4 people exposed to it survived fine. Pretty rubbish nerve weapon isn't it?

Classical Mechanic

Its a total bodge job by Russia. They didn't think they would be caught but the UK has pioneered some investigative techniques that resulted in the agents being identified. There was some luck for the UK investigators with the snow meaning the streets were more empty than usual. The Russian agents were also unprofessional, such is life when you employ people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/world/europe/salisbury-novichok-poisoning.html

It also been reported that Russia suspect a double agent in identifying the agents once they were known through CCTV footage.

What other play do they have in face of a mountain of evidence that shows them to be so incompetent?

3/4 people exposed to it survived fine. Pretty rubbish nerve weapon isn't it?
This is just nonsense though isn't it, they were all in comas.

Tarrou

Are you?

they travelled 3000 miles for a two day trip
went to Salisbury twice in two days
were spotted near the house away from tourist attractions
they claim, as Russians, they only stayed 20 mins the first day due to some snow
the poisoning timing coincided with their visit
they had traces of poison in their hotel room
have links to Russian military intelligence
and they come from a country that routinely bumps off its traitors

but your logical conclusion is they were there for ** insert random other reason we don't know yet **

None of us know the answers, but surely you have to admit by now that on the balance of probability they look kinda guilty?