Skripal Novichok Case

DavidDeSchmikes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45580825
A hoax is likely to be one line of inquiry after a couple apparently fell ill in a Salisbury restaurant on Sunday prompting a major incident, police sources have told the BBC.

Alex King, 42, was admitted to hospital with his wife, six months after a nerve agent attack in the same city.

Mr King is a convicted criminal and once hoaxed Prince Charles.

Police sources said until the man had been spoken to, "we can't rule anything in or out".

On Tuesday, Mr King's wife, Anna Shapiro, 30, told the Sun that the Russian state had poisoned her and her husband in Prezzo.

The paper reported it was "what security sources fear was a suspected rat poison attack".

Ms Shapiro is a model and an Israeli citizen of Russian heritage.

A spokesman for the Sun told the BBC: "Like any newspaper, we were keen to talk to those at the centre of the incident and give them the opportunity to share with the public their version of events."

The article has since been removed from the newspaper's website "for legal reasons".

No arrests have been made and Wiltshire Police said on Wednesday: "This is now a routine investigation.

"The woman from the restaurant has been interviewed once and is likely to be spoken to again. The next step is to speak to the man involved."

The BBC was unable to contact the couple.

Wiltshire Police earlier confirmed the pair were not exposed to any nerve agent and that it was not linking their illness with the recent poisonings in Salisbury and Amesbury.

"Given recent events in Salisbury, the reporting of an event requiring the evacuation of bars and restaurants by police officers in bio-hazard suits, and that requires tests for the presence of Novichok, is of obvious public interest," a spokesman for the Sun added.

Salisbury District Hospital said "both patients are now medically fit" and have been discharged from hospital.

It is understood that the couple also tested negative for any other poisons, including rat poison.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Common sense would indicate that the way these guys behaved, they were not on a covert assassination mission. It's just obvious isn't it? So many logical inconsistencies in the way they behaved and in what's happened afterwards.

Nothing about the way the attempted "assassination" of Skripal went down according to the official narrative or the supposed perpetrators make sense. I still can't see how any intelligent person could buy what Theresa May is saying. The chances of these guys volunteering themselves for trial seems pretty slim. So I doubt we'll ever find out, or not for a very long time.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Read the article, be interested to see if the Russians now produce Anatoliy Vladimirovich and what there response will be from Putin, if any. Most of it the article seems to be reaching, although the pictures do look similar. I would be interested to know which databases these passport files came from and who the "two separate sources" are. Not our own intelligence services by any chance?

Doesn't really answer anything, if this really is the same person, why would they send a highly decorated colonel? They even admit it would be highly extraordinary, then reach to say that must mean it was ordered at the highest level. More logically it doesn't actually make sense at all...

Classical Mechanic

Read the article, be interested to see if the Russians now produce Anatoliy Vladimirovich and what there response will be from Putin, if any. Most of it the article seems to be reaching, although the pictures do look similar. I would be interested to know which databases these passport files came from and who the "two separate sources" are. Not our own intelligence services by any chance?

Doesn't really answer anything, if this really is the same person, why would they send a highly decorated colonel? They even admit it would be highly extraordinary, then reach to say that must mean it was ordered at the highest level. More logically it doesn't actually make sense at all...
You do realise that behind enemy lines operations are the preserve of elite operatives right?

NinjaFletch

Have you read their other two articles on this?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Have you read their other two articles on this?
I just did. Nothing in them indicate to me that these two were involved in attempting to assassinate Skirpal with "Novichok" though. They travelled around Europe a lot on dodgy Russian Passports, got arrested in the Netherlands. They're clearly not tourists, who went to see the Cathedral, which we knew already.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Bellingcat Articles on Russian Suspects.

Part 1

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-...s-passport-data-shows-link-security-services/

Part 2

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-...eratives-prior-european-operations-disclosed/

Part 3

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-...irov-identified-gru-colonel-anatoliy-chepiga/

Worth reading, they really are quite good investigative articles.

Noticed that the Dramomat at the Russian embassy in London has been remarkably quiet since these articles appeared. Huge relief I have to say and thanks to Bellingcat for that.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
I just did. Nothing in them indicate to me that these two were involved in attempting to assassinate Skirpal with "Novichok" though. They travelled around Europe a lot on dodgy Russian Passports, got arrested in the Netherlands. They're clearly not tourists, who went to see the Cathedral, which we knew already.
Nothing indicates they were involved to you? The fact a decorated Russian Colonel, who now works for the security services, has traveled to Sailsbury on a fake passport at the same time a deadly nerve agent (developed in Russia) is deployed on the door of a former Russian spy that the Russian government vowed to kill who happens to live in Sailsbury.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
So you just think it’s a bit of a coincidence that these two decorated GRU operatives, operating on passports with fake ids supplied by Russian military intelligence, just happened to accidentally visit Salisbury on the weekend that the Skripals were poisoned and accidentally walk by the Skripals house twice on their way to visit Salisbury cathedral, which lies in the opposite direction to their direction of travel and which they never actually managed to get to.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Nothing indicates they were involved to you? The fact a decorated Russian Colonel, who now works for the security services, has traveled to Sailsbury on a fake passport at the same time a deadly nerve agent (developed in Russia) is deployed on the door of a former Russian spy that the Russian government vowed to kill who happens to live in Sailsbury.
:lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
So you just think it’s a bit of a coincidence that these two decorated GRU operatives, operating on passports with fake ids supplied by Russian military intelligence, just happened to accidentally visit Salisbury on the weekend that the Skripals were poisoned and accidentally walk by the Skripals house twice on their way to visit Salisbury cathedral, which lies in the opposite direction to their direction of travel and which they never actually managed to get to.
It's all a complete misunderstanding. I'm sure it's totally reasonable that Putin would then put the decorated Russian assassins on TV under their false names to help clear up the fishy affair. I mean why not just say ''Hi. I'm a decorated Russian Colonel who loves Stonehenge and Cathedrals. I attained multiple honours for my time in Chechnya, known for its violent winter storms, yet sadly I could not battle the English snow and had to return without sighting the famous building. I also like to pack a small quantity of Novichok to help disinfect my hotel rooms. This is since I suffered a bout of bed bugs whilst engaged in operations within the Ukraine".

It all adds up now.

Tarrou

What’s the deal with you, seriously?

NinjaFletch

So what's your credible alternative explanation then?

Infra-red

:lol:

This has reached Comical Ali levels of denial. Beyond farcical.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just realised he's not just decorated but with a medal that is given by Putin himself to only a few people a year. He's obviously trusted by him.

I don't get why the famed Russian intelligence didn't make up documents to support them being a real person prior to 2009. Also, that their passports only differed by two digits Seems pretty stupid.

Last edited:

Green_Red

I take back everything I've said, it looka overwhelmingly like this is Russian espionage.

Which begs the question, is it state sanctioned or not? If it is, being responsible for the death of a civilian in the home country is surely an act of war.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some can't simply admit to losing an argument. They double and triple down even if they look ridiculous.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
fecks sake, even Corbyn has relented on this one :lol:

Don't Kill Bill

I take back everything I've said, it looka overwhelmingly like this is Russian espionage.

Which begs the question, is it state sanctioned or not? If it is, being responsible for the death of a civilian in the home country is surely an act of war.

Given the rank and previous contacts of the now outed Russian agent responsible for killing one and wounding four others, it has got to be directly from Putin.

The really horrendous part is the use of a nerve agent on foreign soil. This follows on from using radiation poisoning on the last guy Putin wanted dead.

I wonder at what point the powers that be decide they have no option but to take them on and start dropping Russian bodies?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Russia doesn't forget. It doesn't matter if a spy trade was 10 years ago, they're eventually going to kill the guy off. It's a message to others.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep

Dobrokhotov, who worked with Bellingcat to expose the Russian suspects is expecting to be detained by Russian authorities on his return to Moscow.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...m?shareToken=baf73349ab881f3b6d1b2f4453125661

(Part 4 from Bellingcat expected early this week).
Bellingcat is an Atlantic Council mouthpiece, US and NATO propaganda tool, masquerading as “citizen journalism.”

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/10/13/bell-o13.html

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I bet it would cut right through to Trump's bones if he read that.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Implicates them in a big way regarding the Skripals poisoning.
Provides a possible motive anyway, although the evidence already out there is about as conclusive as it’s gonna get.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I know people say Russia surely don't make mistakes so easily, probably because of their reputation as a some super spy power, but maybe that was just before technology advanced and now they're a bit shite at it?

Foxbatt

What about this new news about the girl who gave first aid to the Skripals? Why wasn't she affected like them? Something dodgy about this who thing.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What about this new news about the girl who gave first aid to the Skripals? Why wasn't she affected like them? Something dodgy about this who thing.
She went to hospital afterwards to be checked up. What do you think is dodgy about it?

nickm

She went to hospital afterwards to be checked up. What do you think is dodgy about it?
You can be sure he won't think it's the dodgy russian agents trying to murder a dodgy russian spy using dodgy russian type methods.