Smalling / SIGNED for Roma

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mind boggling this is a thread

Ole doesn’t rate him he wants him out , luckily Ole hasn’t forgotten how bad he is as a central defender just like you have.
Ole signed off on a 5 year deal for Jones, and was oddly fine with spunking £80m on Maguire so I'd argue he has a misled approach to defenders.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Because he's 30 years old and about to be 31. In the short term he could help, but getting a fee for him could help in the long term. The long term window is the more important window because we're clearly not good enough in the short term to win the biggest titles. Therefore, it's better to prioritize the long term window.
What is a longterm window?

Ekeke

No. Not without signing a CB who has performed well who will come in to replace Lindelof as a starter. From Utd's point of view of course it makes no sense.

However, if he would like to leave then he should be allowed to provided a club offer a good amount of money for a 30 year old CB. £19 million would do it for me

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Why? Because he’s nowhere near PL Top 4 material. How low is our standards nowadays? And soon 31 feck sake.

Like Chelsea fans would ask ’Why sell Rudiger? He’s a german national’ Dosen’t mean he will improve that back 4!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Why? Because he’s nowhere near PL Top 4 material. How low is our standards nowadays? And soon 31 feck sake.

Like Chelsea fans would ask ’Why sell Rudiger? He’s a german national’ Dosen’t mean he will improve that back 4!
Smalling would be an improvement on Rudiger, in fact I'm sure they would take Smalling if we wanted to sell to a rival.

RedDevil@84

Does it make sense to lose arguably a first choice central defender to Roma for the budget price of £20m?

At a time when our defence is under question, to me, it makes no sense whatsoever when our transfer dealings are at a dead end.

Mindboggling.
Defender on same level or worse than the existing pair
Wants to move out instead of getting rotated here.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
EPL football has evolved...attacker will constantly press at defenders when having the ball. His ball handling will become a very serious issue. He is a supreme defender though imo

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Except he has a case for being the best defender in the squad after Macguire.

Only reason he's being made a scapegoat and available for transfer is because he's the only player that other clubs would actually want to pay money to get him in.

Red_toad

He isn't good enough, some of you have short memories.
He's a better pure defender than both of our current duo. So please define not good enough?
I actually think he'd work much better with Maguire.

Plus he'd still be worth 12 million next summer, so why flog him on the cheap and not have time to upgrade out options. I have no issue with the club getting rid of him when the time is right, I just don't see the need to get fleeced by Roma and end up with watching defenders who aren't that good at actual defending week in week out.

SAFMUTD

He's worth more than 20M thats clear, but Ole doesnt rate him as a starter and Smalling is not happy being just a squad player. I think fair is fair and we should allow him to leave.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For less, the club shouldn't have any reason to lose him, he's worth for a short term to help and still good enough. But he's turning to 31 this year and our project is long term not short term and Smalling obviously isn't going to be part of the long term and if we can get 20m pounds, it's a reasonable fees to sell him. If we keep having these 8-9 centre backs in the club we will never gonna buy a new one and we are all know we want to move them on, develop the young ones and buy a new one next year.

peridigm

He isn't good enough, some of you have short memories.
Wolves tweeted a clip today of one of their goals against us from the 2018 season. Back line of Valencia-Smalling-Lindelöf-Shaw. It was all the reminder I needed.

ghagua

A million-dollar question. I do understand the recent ball-playing center half phenomenon amongst our fans, but he is behind Lindelof for feck's sake. If we had a top-class player, then I understand, but we don't and this does not any sense at all.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Read it as "Why love Chris Smalling for £20m"

I personally would rather to keep him if it's at all possible but that money looks like a fair price considering his age.

Hawks2008

Getting 20m for a 30 year old CB the manager doesn't rate and is seems like a good deal to me. If it can help get a deal or 2 over the line this summer it will be worth it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Better than Lindelof and would love to see him get a run of games alongside Maguire. But Ole doesn't seem to rate him. So no chance were getting a decent fee.

amolbhatia50k

I don't think he is that ahead of Lindelof. I think both are error prone and will make crucial mistakes, unless he has learnt something new at Roma.
Every defender is error prone. But he was the best among the post SAF CBs. Especially that one season where was dominating nearly every opposition. Lindelof can reach that level only in his dreams where he's suddenly capable of tackling and has attained physical strength.

TheLord

If we get 20m for him at his age and in this climate, we’d have fleeced Roma. Are Roma so dumb?
I would sell him for 12-15m.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Before he went to Roma the majority thought it mind boggling he was a first choice here for so long.
Why you keep saying that? Smalling is not WC, never was and will never be. However he was always rated above most of the tripe we have, at par to at least Lindelof. I actually thought that Ole was going for a Smalling-Maguire partnership tbh as its the combination of pace, physical strength and good old fashioned defending Ole was raised in.

I don't mind if we sell him however we need to invest heavily on CBs. Maguire was a huge waste of 80m and his partnership with Lindelof (whose shit btw) is something of a horror movie. I can't think of a slower CB pair. Put an attacking minded wingback like Telles on the left and these guys will be exposed big time.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I swear the caf these days...

For what its worth it's not about player. It's about the coach. Able manager can get the best out of smailing, our coach has a different approach fair play to him. But smailing is never a bad player.

Now whether it's justified to spend 80m on a thin as a rubber upgrade is another matter

gajender

Every defender is error prone. But he was the best among the post SAF CBs. Especially that one season where was dominating nearly every opposition. Lindelof can reach that level only in his dreams where he's suddenly capable of tackling and has attained physical strength.
Smalling never had a full season where he was quality through out.

gajender

Has anyone in the post SAF period?
Actually nobody has but just because our current options at CB aren't upto the task doesn't mean Smalling is any better and it would prove to be the case if plays again for United.

There is a reason we are struggling to get even 15 m for him despite him having such an Exalted status among few of United's fanbase he isn't that good ,just a slightly above average defender whose perception clearly surpasses his actual quality as a player.

RUCK4444

Actually nobody has but just because our current options at CB aren't upto the task doesn't mean Smalling is any better and it would prove to be the case if plays again for United.

There is a reason we are struggling to get even 15 m for him despite him having such an Exalted status among few of United's fanbase he isn't that good ,just a slightly above average defender whose perception clearly surpasses his actual quality as a player.
That would be 15 million more than we’ve been offered for our other centre backs.

He’s the only defender we have that has an interested buyer, that tells you a different story.

You honestly believe Bailly and Victor are better?
Like you said, Chris is an above average defender, the former two are bang average.

It’s not even that Smalling has a staunch support by some, it’s more about some fans wanting to keep the better defender and sell the worse defenders, that simple.

amolbhatia50k

Actually nobody has
Thanks

just because our current options at CB aren't upto the task doesn't mean Smalling is any better
Well their respective performances in a United shirt does prove that Smalling is better (than Lindelof) at least. Nobody is claiming Smalling is top class. Of course he wasn't. He was very good defensively but poor on the ball. It's just ironic that we've replaced him with someone who hates defending and is adequate on the ball.

YzWayne

Is there a video compilation of his mistakes for us to show why he needs to leave? His heart is also gone so might as well cash in and get new faces in.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's mindboggling this is a thread.

Last season he was comfortably our 3rd or 4th best CB, according to the fans. Now because someone actually wants him people around here are getting cold feet about selling him.

Can't wait for the "Why lose Jesse Lingard for £20m?" thread next week.
The lingard bit will be reminiscent of the Welbeck thread when he was sold.

RashyForPM

Smalling is one of those grass is always greener on the other side players. While he is equal to Maguire and far better than Lindelof, people are talking like he is a mixture of Maldini and Ramos. Wrong. He has to leave, but so does Lindelof.

dove

Our fans are weird. All CBs that don’t play suddenly become our best defenders. When the likes of Smalling, Jones, Bailly play, they are shite and should be nowhere near the first team. Once they are injured or don’t play, they suddenly become our best defenders at the club and should be playing :lol:

Because hes probably our 4th best centre back and hes 31. We should count our lucky stars we are actually getting rid of one of our deadwood for a change.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
He’s probably your second best centre back, but I think half your squad if shoved there would be your second best centre back, and I think he’s one of those players were it’s time to just be done with it and go separate ways, get whatever you can for him and sink it into a young promising centre back.

deleon

Just because he excelled at Roma doesn't mean he'll do well here. Do we believe that Lukaku would play as well if back at United as he did at Inter?

Murray3007

a think people forget what he was like when he played here, he was just as bad as the current crop, take the money and move on while he has any value, lets be honest Ashley young has went to Italy and looked pretty good, think that should say every thing about this situation. get rid

Status
Not open for further replies.