Smalling signs new contract

RedDevil5

I hope that's the last defender we are going to extend from the current lot
Rumors we're going to extend Young, which would be terrible. He's awful, as is Valencia. If we extend either one of them, the club has lost the plot officially.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Remember when United had the right balance of loyalty to players and ruthlessness?

Fellaini, Young now Smalling. We're rewarding mediocrity.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Haha and people wonder why we’re so crap. Can’t wait to hear we’ve renewed Phil jones contract too.

Hell why not renew Valencia’s then we can have the same crappy back line for another 2 seasons.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Jones made it to the world cup should he get a new contract then? You dont think the fact that southgate prefers younger players might have something to do with it?
Personally I think Jones has/had the potential to be a far, far better defender than Smalling and coaches didn’t want to give up on that but I think that horse has bolted now with the latest batch of injuries.

Loublaze

ATLien
Personally I think Jones has/had the potential to be a far, far better defender than Smalling and coaches didn’t want to give up on that but I think that horse has bolted now with the latest batch of injuries.
I guess he just chooses to never show it huh? He's scored more goals against United than Messi and Ronaldo! Crap centerback, should've been sold along with Jonny Evans.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
A lot of frustration showing from fans in this thread. Except for only a few unrealistic Smalling haters getting their rocks on, it seems that everybody is just tired of our club's tendency to ignore the need of getting the quality players needed to take us forward. People are just venting here. I'm sure everyone deep down realises cutting ties with Smalling at this moment would be counter-productive if the goal is to quickly archive a stronger squad.

FrantikChicken

A lot of frustration showing from fans in this thread. Except for only a few unrealistic Smalling haters getting their rocks on, it seems that everybody is just tired of our club's tendency to ignore the need of getting the quality players needed to take us forward. People are just venting here. I'm sure everyone deep down realises cutting ties with Smalling at this moment would be counter-productive if the goal is to quickly archive a stronger squad.

I sure hope so!

haram

well pep let sanga, zableta, clincy, kolarov go on free in one summer and bought walker, mendy, danilo, and laporte the winter after. Last time I checked, it worked out pretty well.
If Pep was our manager he would have wanted to sell every single defender. He wouldnt have been able to do that though. Same way Jose couldn’t. Pep spent £30 million a backup fullback. We have spent a total of £19 million on fullbacks in 5 windows. That was a 19 year old who has barely played top flight football.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This is like when people wanted to get rid of the likes of Nani, Rafael, etc. before finding replacement, and then we replaced them with the likes of Memphis Depay and Darmian. Great times, just shows how fickle our fans(and our board) are. 5 years later, we still have worse options on the wing and fullback than Rafael and Nani. But as long as we got rid of them, eh? :lol:
You can add Jonny Evans to that who is comfortably better than Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo. Its baffling to me how anyone can watch us and think we should get rid of Smalling before the rest, even ignoring that they are all injured for the majority of the time.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Remember when United had the right balance of loyalty to players and ruthlessness?

3 of the few players in the squad that look like they care. You won't see them dancing on Instagram like idiots while we're getting beat every week.

Negan

Four fecking years.

We are a laughing stock. This guy should have been let go on a FREE.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Pep was our manager he would have wanted to sell every single defender. He wouldnt have been able to do that though. Same way Jose couldn’t. Pep spent £30 million a backup fullback. We have spent a total of £19 million on fullbacks in 5 windows. That was a 19 year old who has barely played top flight football.
Judging by how we spent that money elsewhere, it was never an issue of not having enough of it but more like incompetent decision that has gotten us fecked defensively. However it's looked, we had more than enough money to improve the backline but we didn't.

I have been saying for a little while. That's our new motto these days

I have been saying for a little while. That's our new motto these days
He’s earned the contract tbf. I’ve been critical of him but he’s clearly the best of a bad bunch. And we can’t sell all our defenders.
The renewal doesn't bother me much, it's the 4 years (allegedly or is it confirmed ?). That's just too much for me

1) his contract expires end of 2019 season plus a one year extension I.e end of 2020 season by that point I would hope we would have centre backs that can play football.
2) by paying him £120k per week you make his value zero, as no other club would pay that even on a free
3) on £120k per week, the club sees him as a first team player in terms of budget. Are you happy with those aspirations?
4) he’s a donkey.
I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

In the land of the blind, the one eyed is the king.

That's pretty much what I think about it

Ekeke

Apparently the best way to improve your defense is by getting rid of your best defender. Redcafe posters are the smartest

SER19

Correct decision. We need new centre backs and we need to get rid of our worst. Smalling is perfectly good enough for back up but I still think he’d thrive beside atop class partner.

SER19

Apparently the best way to improve your defense is by getting rid of your best defender. Redcafe posters are the smartest
Nature of the beast these days. Selling Smalling would be idiotic. Jones and rojo need to go, buy two replacements or one top level one, and keep Smalling, lindelof and give Bailly one more chance.

kouroux

Not by getting rid of him per se but definitely by not rewarding him like that. This contract extension is crazy when you think about it

gajender

Not by getting rid of him per se but definitely by not rewarding him like that. This contract extension is crazy when you think about it
Apparently it's a 3 year extension till 2022 with another year option solely with United , So I believe it's Ok ideally we should move on Rojo and Jones before the start of next season and then review the situation in 2020 again to see who need to be let go from Bailly , Lindelof and Smalling.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not. He's perfectly fine as a set of four CBs at the club. The problem is how bad the other 3 are.

4 years is a bit much though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Apparently it's a 3 year extension till 2022 with another year option solely with United , So I believe it's Ok ideally we should move on Rojo and Jones before the start of next season and then review the situation in 2020 again to see who need to be let go from Bailly , Lindelof and Smalling.
That's perfect then. But we need to ensure the rest of the pack is strong. Smalling is the one of the defenders I'd keep for sure.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
3 of the few players in the squad that look like they care. You won't see them dancing on Instagram like idiots while we're getting beat every week.
My point is, we are too loyal to too many mediocre players.

I'd take a team full of dancing, Fortnite-playing IG whores if they were proper footballers who actually won games and trophies over limited players who care but served up nothing but disappointing performances over the past few years.

Ekeke

What else are you going to do with your best CB leaving for free in the summer? Its extend the contract or need to sign another player to replace him when you already need to sign a CB to improve on the others. So probably getting 2 expensive CBs right when we cant seem to get any right

Darkhorsez

What else are you going to do with your best CB leaving for free in the summer? Its extend the contract or need to sign another player to replace him when you already need to sign a CB to improve on the others. So probably getting 2 expensive CBs right when we cant seem to get any right
I think we under and over rate some of our players on here. We make the assumption that Smalling has zero negotiation power and would ok with a 2 year contract. I am afraid it’s not that simple. A player want some level of financial security too. It’s not a one way street.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Rewards mediocrity.... expect performances...

He should be let go, he's not good enough. Him, jones, young, valencia should be replaced with younger hungrier healthier player if we want to rise up to the occasion.

We're too sentimentil as a club sometimes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And there's no guarantee that these new and exotic CBs would adapt quickly, or will even adapt to the League. Then we end up relying on youth or those crook CBs.

Even if this Summer we get Khobulay (?) and McGuire, no manager worth his salt would let go Smalling and rely on Lindelof, Jones, Baily and a bunch of youth as the backups.

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

According to Ed, any CB we could sign will only be better than our 5th choice. So it only makes sense to extend Rojo, Smalling and Jones.

kouroux

You give him 2 years at max. 4 years is stupid
It's still too much for me. Man United is a paradise for average players to get big contracts.
It's not. He's perfectly fine as a set of four CBs at the club. The problem is how bad the other 3 are.

4 years is a bit much though.
That contract extension is nuts. Extending him for a couple of seasons wouldn't be bad.

Ekeke

You give him 2 years at max. 4 years is stupid

It's still too much for me. Man United is a paradise for average players to get big contracts.

That contract extension is nuts. Extending him for a couple of seasons wouldn't be bad.
Why is it stupid to give him 4 years when we clearly need quite a bit of change in our backline? Having him be the veteran to help y the new players settle makes perfect sense. This isnt a computer game where we can expect to have a whole new squad of defenders within 2 years.

Red_toad

Yet our fans expect us to be challenging them! Smalling is currently the best central defender we have. Would be madness to let him go and get another project in to replace him from the 30 million shelf.

kouroux

Why is it stupid to give him 4 years when we clearly need quite a bit of change in our backline? Having him be the veteran to help y the new players settle makes perfect sense. This isnt a computer game where we can expect to have a whole new squad of defenders within 2 years.
I know you've always rated him highly so there ain't much I can say to ever convince you. I don't mind keeping him around but no one will ever convince me that 4 years is wise, that a salary is wise to a defender who isn't good enough for his country, for a defender who is still prone to ridiculous amateurish blunders

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Good, not the best - but looking at our current state of affairs - it really isn't bad. Consider the rest -
Jones - error prone and often injured; Rojo - when did he last play 5 games in a row for us? Bailley - has a future, but too error prone and rash; Lindelof - has a future, but not that good in air (the commanding CB every defence needs). I think Smalling is the best of the lot, a shit lot but still - better than the rest and consistent.

Those comparing to Vida, Rio need a reality check. One step at a time fellas.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If people think smalling is awful, id hate to see their take on our other centre backs!
He's our best by miles, which is why every year he has a tiny run of games out of favour then storms back in and plays the rest of the season

Ekeke

I know you've always rated him highly so there ain't much I can say to ever convince you. I don't mind keeping him around but no one will ever convince me that 4 years is wise, that a salary is wise to a defender who isn't good enough for his country, for a defender who is still prone to ridiculous amateurish blunders
What did his country win after not selecting him again?