Smashley Young

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
How did he do yesterday?
Missed the match, but all the reports are saying he was pretty decent. Would appreciate if somebody could tell me how did he perform.

puNANI

He was alright. Put in a couple of dangerous crosses but lost the ball a few times. He plays very similar to how Nani does on the left side. Good at beating his man with step overs and fakes and ends up putting the ball back onto his right foot to cross. Decent debut.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Football | Barclays Premier League | Fergie impressed by Young debut | ESPNSTAR.com

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he was "very satisfied" with Ashley Young's first appearance for the club.

Young, wearing the no.18 shirt, played 67 minutes as a right winger during United's 4-1 win over New England Revolution in a pre-season friendly on Wednesday night.

Ferguson believes the former Aston Villa man, who set up good chances for strikers Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov on the night, will add another dimension to the Barclays Premier League champion's attack next season.

"[Right wing] was his position with Aston Villa until last season when they started playing him in behind the strikers - Gabriel Agbonlahor or Darren Bent - in a more advanced role, like the way we use Wayne Rooney," Ferguson told the club's official website.

"His capabilities are such that he can play wide left, he can play in behind the strikers and he can play wide right.

"He showed tonight he's a fantastic crosser of the ball. I think he hit three fantastic crosses in the game, which maybe isn't something we're used to with the way we play. But if we do get used to it then there's goals there. I was very satisfied."

Michael Owen set United on their way to a victory in their first of a five-match United States tour with a goal on 50 minutes. Italian striker Federico Macheda added two more before Ryan Giggs set Park Ji-sung for United's fourth

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
He was alright. Put in a couple of dangerous crosses but lost the ball a few times. He plays very similar to how Nani does on the left side. Good at beating his man with step overs and fakes and ends up putting the ball back onto his right foot to cross. Decent debut.
Thought it was a good debut, some fantastic crosses he put it. Only complaint would have been a few times he had the chances to drive to the byline but opted to cut back on his right. That lack of variation cost him a few good chances as the defender(s) knew he wanted that and snuffed the move out.

Very happy and I'm sure he'll get much better. Also like to see him with Hernandez making some of his runs.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
yeh like people said, he was okay, nothing more..

i actually thought with the ball at his feet he was very predictable. Running at his man wide, doing some tricks, then shifting to his right to curl in a cross (even though he did give very good service)
Im sure with more games he will gain confidence and we roam a little more where he is at his best.. But he did hit a terrific cross with his left in the second half. and linked up brilliantly at times.

davisjw

Was disappointed with his dribbling tonight, thought he lost it far too easily. Did better in the second half when he was more in control with his nerves. Plays some pretty crosses that made Berbatov look extremely rusty.

He's rusty from the off season and still nervous to be playing, so we'll see how he does as the preseason progress :)

Shimo

He did very well. Our main threat from wide
Wonder if that was our game plan though to have everything come in from the left, so as to give Young more time on the ball and integrate into the team.

Nani was tucking in a lot from the right and even drifting all the way to Young's side. Typically it's the other way around regardless of who plays left wing for us - they come in and most of our play/crosses comes from the right side.

Sam

I was very impressed. He's got a lovely first touch, seems to kill the ball dead almost every time. Put in some lovely crosses to. Good solid start to his United career.

Shimo

Seemed to be in a very serious mood and seemed like was on a mission to impress. He did put in some fantastic balls.

2 things I particularly liked was - him and Nani swapping wings and him turning up centrally when Rooney dropped deep or gave room for Rooney to go left. That kind of interchanging/fluid movement will be very hard for defenders to keep up with.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Wrong. Young did well, but Fábio was superb, as usual.
The more post I see of yours the more you remind me of Scholesy. I know you were around at the same time but you're definitely more active since his banning.

Same person I reckon.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Great signing for a 16 millions.

Solid technique, nice crossing skills and he also showed some dynamic and agressive display which only proves, he'll fit to the team's football style.

Can't wait to see him, shooting from distance and performing freekicks. Next games should reveal more of his talent.

forevrared

Love that we have two wingers equally capable on both sides again. It's a dynamic we've missed since Ronaldo started playing more centrally in his last couple seasons.

I like the look of him already. He's agile, 2 footed, quick and likes to deliver a testing cross. With Valencia a bit behind in his readiness I wouldn't be surprised to see Young starting the season proper. His versatility on both sides compliments our style of play very well.

If he plays to his potential he will get us goals and assists for sure.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Was disappointed with his dribbling tonight, thought he lost it far too easily. Did better in the second half when he was more in control with his nerves. Plays some pretty crosses that made Berbatov look extremely rusty.

He's rusty from the off season and still nervous to be playing, so we'll see how he does as the preseason progress :)
Give it more time and more confidence and I am sure he will beat his mean

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Solid Debut.. Put in a few good crosses.. Berbatov was completely non-respondent to 1-2 good crosses.. Although I hope that's just the pre-season sharpness being a bit off rather than them not being on the same wave length.. You could see that he isn't yet quite sure how we play our football.. A few passes astray and stuff.. Nothing that time and fitness/match sharpness won't heal IMO..

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Solid Debut.. Put in a few good crosses.. Berbatov was completely non-respondent to 1-2 good crosses.. Although I hope that's just the pre-season sharpness being a bit off rather than them not being on the same wave length.. You could see that he isn't yet quite sure how we play our football.. A few passes astray and stuff.. Nothing that time and fitness/match sharpness won't heal IMO..
Just sounds like typical Berba to me.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why I think Ashley Young has the skill - and the self-confidence - to prove one of the signings of the season

By James Nursey
Published 09:30 14/07/11
(5) Recommend (3)

Ashley Young's £16million switch to Manchester United has been met with a seemingly lukewarm reception from their fans, but I think the England ace will prove a superb purchase by Sir Alex Ferguson.

I have followed Young's career closely since he broke through at Watford in 2005, when I was working in London for the Daily Mirror.

And he turned up in the midlands not long after me, in January 2007, to sign for Aston Villa (quite by chance, I might add. I am not suggesting we are best mates!).

So I've had an opportunity to see Young blossom into an England international who is now on the verge of establishing himself in Fabio Capello's team.

This summer was the perfect time for Young to seek a fresh challenge that will help him take his game to new heights.

I am really excited about seeing Young play for the champions, as I think he is going to be a simply MASSIVE success - he has only just turned 26 and is entering his prime with plenty of experience behind him.

The bloke has everything you need as a modern footballer: he can score, he can pass and cross with either foot, he can dissect defences with an intelligent ball, he is quick and has a superb work ethic.

I remember Villa's then-manager Gerard Houllier saying last season that Young, who has rarely been injured as a pro, consistently ran the furthest in both training and matches.

At United, where he can concentrate on his attacking instincts and where team-mates will appreciate his vision more, I believe he will be a key player next season.

Playing alongside Wayne Rooney at club level will surely only benefit England as well.

I first revealed United's interest in Young back in December , when the Old Trafford club initially contacted Villa about the star.

I also exclusively broke the news, on June 9 , that Young had agreed a four-year deal worth a massive £130,000-a-week at Old Trafford.

So I can write with some authority that Young turned down a more lucrative move to Manchester City because of Ferguson's exciting plans for him.

At United, the versatile Young, who loves playing in the hole, will get a licence to thrill - and may well end up playing off Rooney as a second striker with a brief to roam.

His dead-ball skills will also be valuable as he can superbly pick out players at set-pieces.

The Old Trafford punters should definitely watch out for Young in the Champions League, where he will have the element of surprise on his side having never played against most of the opposition before.

Young has long been a master at winning free-kicks - within the law - as he tends to go down whenever contact is made by rival players in dangerous areas.

Domestically, his former Villa manager Martin O'Neill used to moan that officials thought Young was perhaps a diver, but whenever Villa were - albeit briefly - in the UEFA Cup or Europa League, foreign refs nearly always blew up for any fouls on him.

Young is also an impressively consistent player. He usually performed capably for Villa and made a contribution to just about every game, whether by scoring, getting an assist, winning a crucial set-piece or tracking back conscientiously.

I remember only rarely giving him less than seven out of 10 - or six at the very worst - in my match ratings.

Despite my glowing tribute to the lad, Villa have done well to pocket £16m for his services considering he had just one year left on his contract.

It had been clear to me for a while that Young was anxious to move on and that he felt hindered by the limited ability of some of his team-mates.

Young needs no compliments in this column, because his self-confidence is already sky high.

He will feel he belongs at Old Trafford, just as life at Villa battling to avoid relegation was beginning to grind.

His body-language on the pitch had become, to my mind, frequently negative.

He got exasperated over mis-placed passes and the failure of team-mates to get on the end of his deliveries.

There were also times last season when I felt Young was playing for a move - doing what was best for him as an individual on the pitch rather than serving the team.

And I certainly wouldn't have made him captain in Stiliyan Petrov's absence.

So if young Marc Albrighton steps up to dazzle on the wing this season, Darren Bent continues to bang them in and Villa bring in the quick Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan to compensate for Young's absence, I think they could yet benefit from his exit.

New Villa manager Alex McLeish is trying to mould a unified team, just as he did at Birmingham City, and there will be no room for massive egos if he is to succeed.

I genuinely think Young's move is in everyone's best interests - although, sadly, it has added to Villa's reputation as a selling club, as Stewart Downing is aiming to be the next to go.

Young won the PFA Young Player of the Year award in 2008-2009.

Now I wouldn't be at all surprised if Young progressed to win the PFA Player of the Year next season.

I reckon he will be good for at least 15 goals, and even more assists, at United.

Read more: James Nursey Column Why I think Manchester United Ashley Young has the skill and self-confidence prove one of signings of season - James Nursey - MirrorFootball.co.uk
Mirror hack raving about him. The (alleged) interest from City is interesting. Are they going to make a bid for every single player that any top four club expresses an interest in?

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Mirror hack raving about him. The (alleged) interest from City is interesting. Are they going to make a bid for every single player that any top four club expresses an interest in?
Well Chelsea did the same sort of thing, Duff, J Cole, Robben, Essien, Mikel were all heavily linked with United (or in Mikel's case even more than that) before being nicked by them.

I suppose it's not a bad idea, use other clubs scouting systems for yourself whilst you're building yours up.

Ekeke

In this case at least, why wouldnt all the top clubs in the premier league express interest in a knock-down priced Young?

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
In this case at least, why wouldnt all the top clubs in the premier league express interest in a knock-down priced Young?
Well Chelsea either don't need a winger or he doesn't suit their system, but he was linked with both Arsenal and especially Liverpool.

Although i am surprised Spurs didn't try to swoop for him, they really screwed up by splashing out on Bentley instead of Young a couple years back.

Ekeke

Well Chelsea either don't need a winger or he doesn't suit their system, but he was linked with both Arsenal and especially Liverpool.

Although i am surprised Spurs didn't try to swoop for him, they really screwed up by splashing out on Bentley instead of Young a couple years back.
He's probably a better winger than they have in their squad right now. He takes better set pieces and he could feasibly play at the head of the diamond, at least a lot better than Anelka did last season.

All that for a small price considering.

He'd really bring plenty to any of the top 4 teams considering his price. If he cost max value there would probably be better options, but he didnt.