Smashley Young

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
I'm alright with Young. I've never seen Sanchez play and I don't care about him.

But as somebody said in here, if Young's signing was after the signing of a proper cm I would've been regarded as a good one.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
--Valencia----Young-----Nani

------------Rooney---------

Can anyone see Fergie trying this? I'm very interested to see how Fergie will play Young for us. Especially with the kind of seasons Nani and Valencia have had.

From what I've heard Young hasn't been as effective through the middle.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
------Fletcher---Rooney
Valencia---Young---Nani
---------Hernandez

THAT PACE

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
------Fletcher---Rooney
Valencia---Young---Nani
---------Hernandez

THAT PACE
Swap Anderson for Fletcher and yes we wouldn't really have a midfield but we'd just have so much pace, because Anderson is quicker than he looks

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
--------------Carrick--------------
Valencia---Rooney--Young----Nani-
------------Hernandez-------------

Be champions

Rowem

gently, down the stream
--Valencia----Young-----Nani

------------Rooney---------

Can anyone see Fergie trying this?
Yes. It'd be very nice to see.

It gives us a different option to the Rooney-Hernandez partnership. The option of playing 451/4231 is very important in big games and in Europe especially.

With a solid base behind, say two from: Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson + new CM hopefully, it'd be a very strong way of lining up.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It always amazes me how often footballers have background stories like this. Of having to overcome more trials and hurdles than most to reach their goals. We seem to see it with a lot of our players, Hernandez who thought about quitting, Valencia who grew up in poverty not often seen in most of the Western world, Nani who was abandoned by his parents and obviously less extreme, but nonetheless restricting, circumstances like Ferdinand.

Also interesting that those who have had the hardest upbringings are amongst our best players. Not really sure what the point of this post is, but we have always been known as a mentally strong side and I don't think it's a coincidence that we often have players who have literally had to fight tooth and nail to reach the top.

MacMUFC

Its gonna look so weird seeing him in a United shirt.

MacMUFC

Of course not! But still...Ashley Young!? I've no problem with his signing, it all just seems so random when we're pretty well stocked with wingers and have a gaping hole in midfield. Some people on here still dont think we need a midfielder, which is bonkers quite frankly.

Virtuoso

Of course not! But still...Ashley Young!? I've no problem with his signing, it all just seems so random when we're pretty well stocked with wingers and have a gaping hole in midfield. Some people on here still dont think we need a midfielder, which is bonkers quite frankly.
Are we "well stocked"? We have Nani and Valencia who are out and out wingers. Ji-Sung Park has never been a winger who stays out wide and keeps the width, he also plays in a central midfield role for South Korea and is beginning to have a similar role for us. Giggs is no longer a winger, very rarely deployed out there. Cleverley has returned and does quite well out on the wing but his preferred position is also in the middle.

I would say that means that we have 2 or maybe 3 wingers at the club in the first team set-up. That is not enough for our club as we more often than not play 4-4-2, so the 2 wing positions in my opinion should be contested by at least 4 players. I definitely agree that we need at least one central midfielder, but I don't agree with the view that it's "so random" that we've signed a winger because we needed another one. I'll look forward to having these options and hopefully we won't see players like Gibson or Fletcher having to play out wide again.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
If you are technically gifted you can move from the wing to the middle. Look at Barcelona all technically gifted players who can interchange positions.

Skywarden

What on earth does seeing Ashley Young in a united strip have to do with who we do or don't sign to play in central midfield?
That's the tune some people have been singing the past month. For whatever reason - makes you wonder doesn't it?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
What on earth does seeing Ashley Young in a united strip have to do with who we do or don't sign to play in central midfield?
The general theme of the thread was Ashley young in general and one comment was that we have a gaping whole in central midfield. IMO young could also play through the middle.

MacMUFC

Are we "well stocked"? We have Nani and Valencia who are out and out wingers. Ji-Sung Park has never been a winger who stays out wide and keeps the width, he also plays in a central midfield role for South Korea and is beginning to have a similar role for us. Giggs is no longer a winger, very rarely deployed out there. Cleverley has returned and does quite well out on the wing but his preferred position is also in the middle.

I would say that means that we have 2 or maybe 3 wingers at the club in the first team set-up. That is not enough for our club as we more often than not play 4-4-2, so the 2 wing positions in my opinion should be contested by at least 4 players. I definitely agree that we need at least one central midfielder, but I don't agree with the view that it's "so random" that we've signed a winger because we needed another one. I'll look forward to having these options and hopefully we won't see players like Gibson or Fletcher having to play out wide again.
Fletcher does a good job on the right though, he's had some great matches there. Nani, Valencia, Cleverly, Giggs, Park, Fletcher and perhaps even Welbeck is more than enough, in my opinion. With addition of Young, one of Nani, Valencia and Park is gonna have their game time seriously reduced.

If you are technically gifted you can move from the wing to the middle. Look at Barcelona all technically gifted players who can interchange positions.
To an extent, but you need other qualities like tactical awareness and discipline. I cant really see Nani or Young playing there. The thing with the likes of Nasri is that he's always shown great stamina, drive, discipline etc... all the attributes needed to play in the center and more than capable of playing in a 2 man midfield. I'm not sure Nani has the awareness and discipline.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It always amazes me how often footballers have background stories like this. Of having to overcome more trials and hurdles than most to reach their goals. We seem to see it with a lot of our players, Hernandez who thought about quitting, Valencia who grew up in poverty not often seen in most of the Western world, Nani who was abandoned by his parents and obviously less extreme, but nonetheless restricting, circumstances like Ferdinand.

Also interesting that those who have had the hardest upbringings are amongst our best players. Not really sure what the point of this post is, but we have always been known as a mentally strong side and I don't think it's a coincidence that we often have players who have literally had to fight tooth and nail to reach the top.
Don't forget Bebe!

He gets a fair bit of stick from some of our lot, but what a success story he is if you look at just how far he has already come. I don't care what others say either, you need some talent to do what he has done.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
rioferdy5 Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Young looks sharp already + its only 3rd day of pre season! Takes us older guys a little longer for the sharpness to kick in! #oooff!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
rioferdy5 Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Young looks sharp already + its only 3rd day of pre season! Takes us older guys a little longer for the sharpness to kick in! #oooff!

rotherham_red

A good video of Young, contains highlights from his days at Watford aswell, where he looked a more complete player IMHO

CR#7

Have a feeling he might get up to the level that Ronnie was at in 06-07 lot's of taking on his man creating goals really excited to see this lad!

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Have a feeling he might get up to the level that Ronnie was at in 06-07 lot's of taking on his man creating goals really excited to see this lad!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SATA

He's of course not the player Ronnie is, but it could may well happen you know. How many assists did Ronnie had in 06/07? I certainly wouldn't see Young getting 23 goals though nor anywhere close to that

December_16

i'll go for him getting 15 goals and 10 assist in a season. He is seriously underrated in this forum and a lot of people are going to end up eating their words.
I'd reverse those two figures. I'll be glad if he scores anywhere near 10 goals, but I can see him contributing quite a few assists from corner kicks. Considering we normally get about 30248209285482 corners per game last season without converting any.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Too much expectation maybe ? Ronaldo was fantastic in that season and I don't think Young's best ever season will beat that Ronaldo