Smashley Young

forevrared

Your logic is flawed. Some people don't think he's a good player. I think he is but it's okay to think he isn't.
If there was any reason to believe that any of these muppets formed their opinions based on actually watching both players on a regular basis, it'd be a little easier to accept. But the idea that each and every one of these people against the Young transfer have actually watched enough of a mid-table Italian team and Villa to make a judgement that Sanchez is far and away a better and 'more exciting' signing is ludicrous. I doubt if most of them have even watched one Udinese game. If they watch United every week they're guaranteed to have seen Ashley Young almost 10 times in the past several years without making any effort to watch Villa.

It reeks of muppetry to want to sign a player you've likely never seen just because he's portrayed online and in the media as a big (and very expensive) prospect while you downplay a very shrewd signing of a player who's proven year after year that he's got the ability and will more likely slot straight into the side.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
What a load of utter nonsense.
It makes about as much sense as asking why would you have a threesome with Jessica Alba and Penelope Cruz when both of them have probably had it better than you, when you could shag some random fat gay bloke for whom it will be the best sex of his life and with connections he will get you a pass to a gay club with even more fat blokes.
This is my favourite bit of that article.

Money

Let’s not p*ss about here, have you seen how much debt Manchester United are in? Last summer I wouldn’t have dared to write this letter, but now Liverpool are in the ascendency. A new owner, no debt, a commitment to buying brilliant young players (see what I did there?) and a manager who beloved by everyone at the club. Manchester United bought a homeless person last year such is their plight, the days of them spending £30m on a marquee signing every summer are long gone. We, however, are going to buy Phil Jones, Svetan Jovetic and, if you ask nicely, we might even buy Benty, Downing or Gabby to keep you company.
:devil:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol:

All three are incredible players. We're lucky to have them.
You like posting smileys when the post quoted is perfectly sensible huh?

Top players and incredible players are the ones in the highest tier of football. Vidic, Ferdinand, Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo etc.

Of course we're lucky to have them. I don't understand your need to reaffirm things that are obvious to everyone. It's as if you're trying to say that I think we aren't lucky to have players of their level at our club, which is based on nothing.

amolbhatia50k

If there was any reason to believe that any of these muppets formed their opinions based on actually watching both players on a regular basis, it'd be a little easier to accept. But the idea that each and every one of these people against the Young transfer have actually watched enough of a mid-table Italian team and Villa to make a judgement that Sanchez is far and away a better and 'more exciting' signing is ludicrous. I doubt if most of them have even watched one Udinese game. If they watch United every week they're guaranteed to have seen Ashley Young almost 10 times in the past several years without making any effort to watch Villa.

It reeks of muppetry to want to sign a player you've likely never seen just because he's portrayed online and in the media as a big (and very expensive) prospect while you downplay a very shrewd signing of a player who's proven year after year that he's got the ability and will more likely slot straight into the side.
I haven't seen Sanchez (well maybe half an hour of him). I don't think I've actually said I want us to sign him. So what are you on about really? Poorly aimed claim of Muppetry?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You like posting smileys when the post quoted is perfectly sensible huh?

Top players and incredible players are the ones in the highest tier of football. Vidic, Ferdinand, Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo etc.

Of course we're lucky to have them. I don't understand your need to reaffirm things that are obvious to everyone. It's as if you're trying to say that I think we aren't lucky to have players of their level at our club, which is based on nothing.
I do think that. I see people post here everyday about how it's shit time to be United fan in summer. How people aren't excited by our current signings. We've just won the league, we could potentially sign no-one and go into next year as favorites (if we bought a keeper admittedly) There's so much to be happy about, I don't see the point in complaining about how exciting a signing is.

forevrared

So if they don't fall into your bizarro rating system of "top and incredible players", they're not worth signing?

And you've watched players like Sanchez or whoever enough to determine that they are "top and incredible players" who would be more 'exciting' for you than Ashley Young?

If you're really daft enough to think that you win trophies by buying as many "top and incredible players" as possible, take a look across Manchester and you'll find a team fighting for a top 4 spot with that very philosophy. How's that working for them?

amolbhatia50k

I'm not even arguing against the notion that Young will be a good player for us. I'm arguing against some really poor logic on the part of some of you.

a) Don't rate a signing = Don't post. Therefore, only post if you think the signing is great and wonderful.

b) Don't rate a signing = You don't support the club and are not loyal. Therefore, by thinking a signing isn't a great one but supporting him you don't support the club and are disloyal. Somehow.

c) Stats aren't everything = You surely only care about step overs. This one I have nothing to add on. It's that silly.

Crustanoid

I'll get behind all the signings, but I have to say I'm slightly underwhelmed by the signings overall. I probably was last year but 2/3 worked out brilliantly so let's hope SAF has got it right again. I just think perhaps this Summer was the one to go kamikaze on the warchest / Ronaldo money and get 3-4 really top players. But hey ho-sure things will pan out ok

amolbhatia50k

I do think that. I see people post here everyday about how it's shit time to be United fan in summer. How people aren't excited by our current signings. We've just won the league, we could potentially sign no-one and go into next year as favorites (if we bought a keeper admittedly) There's so much to be happy about, I don't see the point in complaining about how exciting a signing is.
I'm very happy about where we are a club. Maybe even the guy who doesn't rate this signing is. You're connecting dots that don't need to be connected.

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
I love how sanchez has been brought into this. FYI, it has nothing to do with me hoping we signed sanchez, to be frank, i couldnt have cared less if we signed sanchez or not. Its a simple fact of, i dont think young is good enough. It really is that simple, it has nothing to do with his nationality or who we could have gotten as an alternative, i just dont think hes good enough.

Read that back again and read carefully. I havent once said i dont want and wish him to do well at this club, of course i want any new player do well and grow at the club, but i dont have much hope. I do want him to though.

I heard someone mention this valencia thing AGAIN. Young is what, 25? 26? Valencia was about 22 when we signed him? I dont think i need to go on.

I want him to so well as any fan would, but i dont think he will. I think hes going to find himself on the bench more often than not, because hes not better than what we already have, and if im blunt, not as good.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I swear the mods have just copied and pasted all the pages from the Carrick and Valencia threads into this one.

What people need to realise is that SAF does his homework. He looks at ability, potential to improve, capability of fitting into the squad, mentality and so on. He clearly thinks Young is a United player. He doesn't always get it right, but most of the time he does.

People are also worried that splurging money on Young, Jones and De Gea means that we won't buy a midfielder. We will. This signing just shows that we do have good money to spend.

Mickey

Because this is a forum. Thats the point of forums, theyre to discuss different opinions.

amolbhatia50k

So if they don't fall into your bizarro rating system of "top and incredible players", they're not worth signing?

And you've watched players like Sanchez or whoever enough to determine that they are "top and incredible players" who would be more 'exciting' for you than Ashley Young?

If you're really daft enough to think that you win trophies by buying as many "top and incredible players" as possible, take a look across Manchester and you'll find a team fighting for a top 4 spot with that very philosophy. How's that working for them?
Listen I actually am finding it very tedious to reply to someone who refuses even read posts properly. I was simply stating what I think a top and incredible player means. Not that I think we should only sign them.

What are you reading? And why are you writing so much on the basis of nothing? Bewildering stuff.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'll get behind all the signings, but I have to say I'm slightly underwhelmed by the signings overall. I probably was last year but 2/3 worked out brilliantly so let's hope SAF has got it right again. I just think perhaps this Summer was the one to go kamikaze on the warchest / Ronaldo money and get 3-4 really top players. But hey ho-sure things will pan out ok
How do you know he won't? Go kamikaze on the spending I mean...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Some folks are annoyed because they genuinely thought it would be him or Sanchez we'd end up signing, and we didn't end up going with the latter.
Then they're a bit thick. It's been obvious we're signing Young for weeks now.

The links with Sanchez are far more tenuous and - if we really are interested - he was always going to be signed in addition to Young, rather than instead of him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
How do you know he won't? Go kamikaze on the spending I mean...
When has he ever bought 3-4 top players in a summer? Very talented young players, yes, but then everyone's talking about how we need players who are already close to their peak, no more potential signings, we need quality now etc.

Never mind that there's only really a spot for 1 in the team.

amolbhatia50k

I think our signings have been very good so far. A highly talented young English centre back pipped to be a first teamer for the national side for years to come and a winger who will provide competition for Valencia and Nani and is good on set pieces.

Shimo

We bought Valencia at 24, not 22. The similarity between Valencia and Young is not as much to do with age but, that both were very good at their respective lower tier clubs in the PL and while both were well known, neither of them were deemed the best available out there.

The take away from the Valencia signing is just because the player we are buying isn't the best available out there, it doesn't mean they won't make it here. In Valencia's case it was even a bigger thing since he was coming to effectively take Ronaldo's spot on the right wing.

To play and succeed at a club like United is very difficult. Some very good talents have failed to make the grade here - probably more than the ones that have made it. So, yes maybe A. Young won't make it but, there is absolutely no denying he is a quality player and certainly given his talent and ability - he can be a United quality player. He doesn't need to be a superstar, just a player that can consistently play at the level required at this club.

We've got Rooney, Nani, Chicharito to be the superstars and who knows maybe we'll yet sign a "world class" CM to strengthen us even more so than the signing of Young has done. Make not mistake, adding a quality player like Young does strengthen us.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
When has he ever bought 3-4 top players in a summer? Very talented young players, yes, but then everyone's talking about how we need players who are already close to their peak, no more potential signings, we need quality now etc.

Never mind that there's only really a spot for 1 in the team.
I'm not getting into futile discussions about who's a 'top' player and who isn't. What I was angling at is that we've basically already spent £50m on three players; that's heavy spending. Having spent at that level, it's safe to say that money is there if we need it. Some people are assuming our spending is over. I don't see it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I believe it was more to with us playing an entire season without a natural left winger - I consider Giggs exclusively a central player now - which culminated in a lop-sided squad. Signing Ashley Young is a no-brainer imo.
We've spent 15-20m on Young, 15m on Jones and we'll splurge around 15-20 on De Gea. There's clearly money to spend. The strategy is clear - we're signing players to replace those who are ageing/have retired. There's one more area to strengthen...

I doubt the cheque book will go away now.

DFreshKing

Young is quality signing and a much better fit for us seeing as we desperately need a left wide player imo.

Great signings so far but like many I do hope for one more, a strong ball playing CM, not AM, but full fat CM who can pass.

Mickey

We bought Valencia at 24, not 22. The similarity between Valencia and Young is not as much to do with age but, that both were very good at their respective lower tier clubs in the PL and while both were well known, neither of them were deemed the best available out there.

The take away from the Valencia signing is just because the player we are buying isn't the best available out there, it doesn't mean they won't make it here. In Valencia's case it was even a bigger thing since he was coming to effectively take Ronaldo's spot on the right wing.

To play and succeed at a club like United is very difficult. Some very good talents have failed to make the grade here - probably more than the ones that have made it. So, yes maybe A. Young won't make it but, there is absolutely no denying he is a quality player and certainly given his talent and ability - he can be a United quality player. He doesn't need to be a superstar, just a player that can consistently play at the level required at this club.

We've got Rooney, Nani, Chicharito to be the superstars and who knows maybe we'll yet sign a "world class" CM to strengthen us even more so than the signing of Young has done. Make not mistake, adding a quality player like Young does strengthen us.
Where the hell are you getting this superstar stuff from? I dont care about how big the player is, i care about how good they are and what they would offer to the team. I was happy or sad about signing hernandez because before the world cup, i never saw him play, meaning any opinion would be pointless. Now, after a season, i know id have him in the team in a heart beat more often than not. Its not about the name, its about the player. Ive seen young play many times, which is why i dont think he'll a great signing. Ill happily eat my words if by january performing at a united standard.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Its going to be between him and Rooney for taking penalties. He is a very good set piece taker.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Rooney will take them to increase his goal tally and confidence.

Shimo

Where the hell are you getting this superstar stuff from? I dont care about how big the player is, i care about how good they are and what they would offer to the team. I was happy or sad about signing hernandez because before the world cup, i never saw him play, meaning any opinion would be pointless. Now, after a season, i know id have him in the team in a heart beat more often than not. Its not about the name, its about the player. Ive seen young play many times, which is why i dont think he'll a great signing. Ill happily eat my words if by january performing at a united standard.
So having watched him many times your opinion before even watching him play once in a United shirt is that he wouldn't offer the team of any substance?

Not every signing needs to be a great one but, if you've watched Young many times and you can't keep an open enough mind to think he has the potential at United to be a great signing, then it's a bit pointless to discussing anything with someone so closed of to possibilities.

EvilChuck

I think alot of people are going to be surprised this season at just how good Ashley Young can be. With more intelligent players around him I think we're going to see his imagination in his play more, he'll try stuff that he wouldnt have necessarily tried at Villa because the players around him werent as good as ours. He has the talent to perform very well for us, and I think he has a touch of arrogance in his play that will lead to the current doubters changing their minds very quickly.

izzydiggler

3 more....gk, and two midfielders (one relatively expensive, one cheap) is my prediction.
I'd be extatatic if that were the case. To put my muppet head on, a Sneijder and perhaps a Diarra would be great business to add to the seemingly done De Gea deal. Add in some youngsters with some fringe squad players going an what a summer that would be.

*Takes muppet hat off*

I'd imagine it will be only one fairly experienced, not necessarily expensive, midfielder though (in addition to a keeper), which depending on departures, would be a pretty decent summer all round.

Man-United

Can't believe people still can question Sir Alex over signings..

This is a fantastic player, well done to get him.

Mickey

So having watched him many times your opinion before even watching him play once in a United shirt is that he wouldn't offer the team of any substance?

Not every signing needs to be a great one but, if you've watched Young many times and you can't keep an open enough mind to think he has the potential at United to be a great signing, then it's a bit pointless to discussing anything with someone so closed of to possibilities.
Youre saying that like its a bad thing? What do you prefer? Youtube videos?

And ive already stated i want and wish him to do well. Im simply being honest and saying despite what i want, i dont actually think he will.

Wheres the crime/disloyalty/stupidity in that?