So...Are Chelsea the Biggest Club in The World Yet?

Plan M

Like it or not, Chelsea are a big club and recognised over the world but they simply don't have the following or support that clubs like Man United, Liverpool, Real Madrid or Barcelona do.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Your training session allegedly.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Your training session allegedly.
Fair enough. I saw some stuff on Chelsea TV and the stadium (whilst not full by any means) had a few thousand there at least, that pic makes it look like no fecker turned up!

You have many more overseas supporters. I would not argue otherwise anyway to be honest!

38,000 people turned up for a Liverpool training session though, that's mental. What are the attendances like for their local teams matches?

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
:D

The pic on the right is not from a game. It was taken from one of our training sessions there. 38.000 turned up just for the first session. :p

Liverpool win the 'more people at pre-season training session' cup then.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Where was your Pre-Season last year?...Is this the first one not in America for about 5 years? (not that we can talk much of late)...Does that mean you've cracked the States triumphantly and are now reaching further afield?

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Where was your Pre-Season last year?...Is this the first one not in America for about 5 years? (not that we can talk much of late)...Does that mean you've cracked the States triumphantly and are now reaching further afield?
Because of the world cup we didn't have one per se, the year before we went to the US and before that to Asia.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Fair enough. I saw some stuff on Chelsea TV and the stadium (whilst not full by any means) had a few thousand there at least, that pic makes it look like no fecker turned up!

You have many more overseas supporters. I would not argue otherwise anyway to be honest!

38,000 people turned up for a Liverpool training session though, that's mental. What are the attendances like for their local teams matches?
The same guy (Liverpool fan) who tweeted about nobody being there for Chelsea's tour later estimated 15k showed up for the training session.

x42bn6

5000-6000 usually, but derbies and rivalries can easily reach five figures, filling stadia.

MG

To become amongst the top clubs in the world takes decades and decades at the top and a huge fanbase all around the world, which also takes time to develop. To try and do it all in the space of about 7-8 years was an absolutely ridiculous task, doomed to failure.

Chelsea have done well in that period - not as well as they'd have liked, obviously, United and Fergie have seen to that - but they've won a few Leagues and got far in the CL. However, they haven't won the CL, and are still nowhere near the level of clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and United, who have worldwide fanbases and decades of success to boast of.

Clubs like Chelsea and City who were bordering on nothing clubs before they got rich owners will probably never be considered amongst the biggest clubs in the world, whole thing is manufactured and, there's no other word for it, plastic.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
To become amongst the top clubs in the world takes decades and decades at the top and a huge fanbase all around the world, which also takes time to develop. To try and do it all in the space of about 7-8 years was an absolutely ridiculous task, doomed to failure.

Chelsea have done well in that period - not as well as they'd have liked, obviously, United and Fergie have seen to that - but they've won a few Leagues and got far in the CL. However, they haven't won the CL, and are still nowhere near the level of clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and United, who have worldwide fanbases and decades of success to boast of.

Clubs like Chelsea and City who were bordering on nothing clubs before they got rich owners will probably never be considered amongst the biggest clubs in the world, whole thing is manufactured and, there's no other word for it, plastic.
So if Chelsea win at least (for example) 10 Premier Leagues and 5 Champions Leagues, they will then become a top club?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They've missed their chance. It'll be even harder for them now, what with the 'Hamstring Rich British Clubs' rules...oh, I mean the 'Financial Fair Play' rules.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
European success is the key to building a global brand.

Lancashire 8-0 London, in terms of European Cup wins, probably explains why the worldwide fanbases of United & Liverpool are miles ahead of anyone else in England.
I'm not sure that's the main issue. IMO it's success that spans generations. I'd say Chelsea has a decent chunk of the global fan-base amongst kids but United and Liverpool are supported by their parents and grandparents too.

I don't think your average Indonesian school-kid much cares about how many European cups Liverpool won back in the day but if his old man supports the club he'll be willing to do the same, even though half his class wear Chelsea strips to school every morning.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As much as hate it, the foreign ownership and the 'plastic' nature of their success isn't even relevant as to why they aren't looked at as one of the mega clubs of football.

Truth is it takes decades of success and adulation to be loved the way United and Liverpool are. When you look at Chelsea's global fanbase, most of it is a very young bunch that has cropped up in the last 5-7 years whereas that of Chelsea and United is not only far bigger due to their history of immense success (over the decades) but has been there across generations.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I'm not sure that's the main issue. IMO it's success that spans generations. I'd say Chelsea has a decent chunk of the global fan-base amongst kids but United and Liverpool are supported by their parents and grandparents too.

I don't think your average Indonesian school-kid much cares about how many European cups Liverpool won back in the day but if his old man supports the club he'll be willing to do the same, even though half his class wear Chelsea strips to school every morning.
I wouldn't disagree with any of that. But in order for Chelsea to build on what fanbase they have abroad, European success is vital. Because if they don't, the fickle fans will look elsewhere for their 'glamour club'.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

I don't think it is even that.

I think your average Indonesian kid watches football and soon enough picks up on the fact that clubs like Liverpool and United are storied clubs with strong legacies. Not necessarily because they've been told outright, but simply by picking it up in the implications of the way commentators et al talk about them.

It's that feeling that attracts them to it. Even if they don't know why, they can still tell from the people talking about the game that these are special clubs. Chelsea don't get that respect and reverence yet. And won't for at least a decade or two.

Me, I was a sorry kid who wasn't even that into football who was having a sick day when a game came on and I thought, 'why not?'. Fowler scored a brace, John Barnes played lovely and McManaman was a joy to watch. Then at half time, there was a spot on Robbie Fowler, what being a boyhood red meant to him, what the club meant, etc. and I was sold. I wasn't really that into football aside from internationals before that.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
The same guy (Liverpool fan) who tweeted about nobody being there for Chelsea's tour later estimated 15k showed up for the training session.
That's a lot more than I thought would have, tbh.

stubie

Chelsea will never be as big as United & Liverpool!!!

Same goes for Man City, reputation is built on history & success not how big your bank balance is!

Zen86

United and Liverpool have that history and always will have, built by men such as Shankly, Busby etc. In a few decades Chelsea will be looked at as the club built by a shady russian who sacked managers for fun.

dhstriker

President of the Jamie Redknapp fan club
I still don't understand how teams like Chelsea and City are going to be able to sign top players once FFP is enforced. Chelsea will never come close to bein the biggest club if they can only spend profits.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I still don't understand how teams like Chelsea and City are going to be able to sign top players once FFP is enforced. Chelsea will never come close to bein the biggest club if they can only spend profits.
I guess it's a good thing that the financial fair play rules don't say a club can only spend profits then.

misterredmist

For Chelsea to have had any chance of realising Kenyon's dream, they had to win in Moscow, Abramovich's "home" Final. Instead, Terry slipped, Terry cried and then the stadium roof p*ssed on Kenyon's bulb like skull as he went up the steps to collect his "runner up" medallion.

Then they had another chance to join us in Rome a year later, only for a combination of a stunning injury time strike and the most hilarious referreeing I have ever seen leaving their chances of Cosmic domination in tatters - apparently, it was a disgwace.......

There's no doubt that Chelsea are a "big" club already, they attract quality players, and were even an attractive club in the 60's with some damn good players and some Cup successes.

World renown status is something that has to be earned and achieved over time, not just with success, but with substance and style and should certainly not be blabbed about in an "x" year plan, as Kenyon and Garry Cock have done publicly.

Kag

Madrid, United, Barca, Bayern, Juventus, Liverpool and Arsenal still in front. Unlucky.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Madrid, United, Barca, Bayern, Juventus, Liverpool and Arsenal still in front. Unlucky.
They do have a CL that Arsenal don't, I'd say they are comparable.

zing

Zingle balls
They do have a CL that Arsenal don't, I'd say they are comparable.
Arsenal and Chelsea are nowhere near comparable.

Winning a Champions League makes you 'successful'. Being the biggest club is more than just success. You can't buy history.

For all that Chelsea win, it's not going to change the fact that the seeds were planted by a rich guy and they went from 4th-5th place to competing for the title over night due to a lot of money.

Manchester City are the same.

I would say the original big clubs of football will remain the only big clubs, as long as they maintain their success.

Keenst

Arsenal and Chelsea are nowhere near comparable.

Winning a Champions League makes you 'successful'. Being the biggest club is more than just success. You can't buy history.

For all that Chelsea win, it's not going to change the fact that the seeds were planted by a rich guy and they went from 4th-5th place to competing for the title over night due to a lot of money.

Manchester City are the same.

I would say the original big clubs of football will remain the only big clubs, as long as they maintain their success.

Aye. Any success these noveau riche teams like City, Chelsea and Paris have will be tainted in my opinion. City and Paris basically have unlimited money to spend, it's a ridiculous state of affairs. How can anyone compete against that?