So is there anyone left supporting Moyes?

thegreatdane

One thing is the results, they are bad - I can live with that... But the performances are absolutely horrible! Today he was outsmarted by Rodgers himself! Rodgers closed down the wide areas and knew that United had nothing to come with trough the middle - even though we have two of the best #10's in the world in Rooney and Mata.... And Kagawa on the bench!

So we create absolutely nothing in an entire game!

Down 2-0 with 45 minutes to go, Moyes waits another 30 minuttes to do anything and he is putting Cleverly and Wellbeck on. Fair enough, he haven't got much else to shoot with... But he could have tried with taking RvP off who was doing nothing all day and perhabs just putting Welbz on much earlier... Or using Kagawa or Valencia?

What frustrates me the most is that it's the same typical uninspiring performances over and over again!
Another thing.. what is his style of football? He got a lot of stick for playing with the crosses, now he seems to have realised that it's not working, but what is the plan b?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
To think about it, there is no point firing him now. What I would like to see, in the remaining 9 games in league, is, whether he is ready to try new things and be brave about it. If we continue to dish out cagey irritating displays then even giving him Messi and Ronaldo won't help and we need to change him in summer. I always believe managers should get year or 2 to prove themselves. Problem here is, Moyes has taken us down too fast and too soon where 2 years look a very long time under him, so, very few like me who support him can't argue his case much at this point.

In supporting him, only "because SAF said so" is not my reason. To me, he was always a capable manager deserving a shot at top club based on his work at Everton and obviously needed time. Problem is, taking title winners to 7th position, on verge of getting kocked out by poorest team in round of 16 in CL and losses against no-rank teams in domestic cup are bit too much to take in one season.

thegreatdane

I disagree. I think that performances like that will happen to any team at some point. You've just got to get over it and move on.
We have just had too many of these performances - even the games we won, we haven't really played very well...

bishblaize

I disagree. I think that performances like that will happen to any team at some point. You've just got to get over it and move on.
If it was in isolation that would be fine. When we lost 4-1 to liverpool no-one believed it was anything but a fluke. However today was our 5th home defeat in the league, 9th defeat in total. Out of 29 games. We've lost 1 in every 3 games we've played this season. That shows something.

Eriku

OP is retarded. 3-0 at home to Liverpool is unacceptable? Well, yes, but at the same time I've seen us lose 4-1 to them, and the penalty and red card we got against us in that match were deserved, as opposed to now. We've also seen Fergie preside over a 6-1 loss to City. Fergie out?

I hope the OP is meant as a "last
straw" argument, rather than a 3-0 loss pointing to incompetence on its own.

That said, I'm all but certain of Moyes having what it takes. But today in isolation does not make a strong point against him. We were up against a high-flying Liverpool side, some shocking refereeing, and we're on the tail-end of our hardest season in ages.

starman

I think he will be given to the end of the season, if, however to manage to do a Chelsea and fluke the CL he will be given till Jan 2015, before be probably assessed again.

I am sure there will be a cause to end his contract by mutual agreement if he does not manage a minimum threshold of top 4, or a trophy/final.

I do feel slightly sorry for him as the job is massive, arguably the biggest in football, but because he is failing miserably, the chances of him managing anything higher than beyond a top 6 team will be all but gone.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I think he will be given to the end of the season, if, however to manage to do a Chelsea and fluke the CL he will be given till Jan 2015, before be probably assessed again.

I am sure there will be a cause to end his contract by mutual agreement if he does not manage a minimum threshold of top 4, or a trophy/final.

I do feel slightly sorry for him as the job is massive, arguably the biggest in football, but because he is failing miserably, the chances of him managing anything higher than beyond a top 6 team will be all but gone.
You might have missed our heroic gladiator-like performance in Greece 2 weeks ago.

Sadly mate, we're not winning the CL.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
One thing is the results, they are bad - I can live with that... But the performances are absolutely horrible! Today he was outsmarted by Rodgers himself! Rodgers closed down the wide areas and knew that United had nothing to come with trough the middle - even though we have two of the best #10's in the world in Rooney and Mata.... And Kagawa on the bench!

So we create absolutely nothing in an entire game!

Down 2-0 with 45 minutes to go, Moyes waits another 30 minuttes to do anything and he is putting Cleverly and Wellbeck on. Fair enough, he haven't got much else to shoot with... But he could have tried with taking RvP off who was doing nothing all day and perhabs just putting Welbz on much earlier... Or using Kagawa or Valencia?

What frustrates me the most is that it's the same typical uninspiring performances over and over again!
Another thing.. what is his style of football? He got a lot of stick for playing with the crosses, now he seems to have realised that it's not working, but what is the plan b?

It's that simple.

RustyS

How do you define "supporting"? I think he should stay till the summer and then convince the board why he deserves another year and transfer funds. He should explain what his plan is, how he wants us to play, and the board should consider what to do then. I will be judging him after the season is over although if I had to bet on it, I would say he will eventually go having won nothing. That can be in the summer, Christmas, or in 6 years.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
How do you define "supporting"? I think he should stay till the summer and then convince the board why he deserves another year and transfer funds. He should explain what his plan is, how he wants us to play, and the board should consider what to do then. I will be judging him after the season is over although if I had to bet on it, I would say he will eventually go having won nothing. That can be in the summer, Christmas, or in 6 years.
Our season is essentially already over, in fairness. I'm not sure there's wisdom any longer in delaying judgement of this year's disaster until it's finished, and thereby also delaying the recruitment of a replacement. We may as well start planning for the future now rather than at the beginning of what is an incredibly important summer for us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can't wait for the end of season review DVD.
I hope he doesn't make a speech on the pitch at the end of the season, I would actually feel sorry for him then and these players doing a lap of honour. Although the fans would deserve a medal for watching this rubbish.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Really? We should support him through thick and thin, to the detriment of the club?
I think he means get behind the team as a metaphor for supporting Moyes. We as fans have brilliant over the years in doing this with good,bad and indifferent managers.

He'll be given another season I feel; to get rid of him now with no contingency in place would be an unbelievably bad decision given that his appointment is looking such in hindsight. However with anyone at the tenure of an institution time should be allowed to see what the long term plan is before a decision like that is taken

RustyS

Our season is essentially already over, in fairness. I'm not sure there's wisdom any longer in delaying judgement of this year's disaster until it's finished, and thereby also delaying the recruitment of a replacement. We may as well start planning for the future now rather than at the beginning of what is an incredibly important summer for us.
We won't get a better replacement right now. The best thing the board can do imo is to start looking at other managers and seeing what the possibilities are for the summer.

In the summer, if Moyes has improved the quality of our football and started showing some sort of plan, then the board might consider backing him. That would especially be the case if they don't find a replacement that is better (i.e. someone like Klopp).

There is no point imo to sack him and have Bruce, Martinez, Pochettino...Might as well stick with him till we can get a world class manager.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I think he means get behind the team as a metaphor for supporting Moyes. We as fans have brilliant over the years in doing this with good,bad and indifferent managers.

He'll be given another season I feel; to get rid of him now with no contingency in place would be an unbelievably bad decision given that his appointment is looking such in hindsight. However with anyone at the tenure of an institution time should be allowed to see what the long term plan is before a decision like that is taken
Ubik's post makes it clear exactly why he should go. A contingency plan wouldn't matter now. 4th place is completely out of the question(for those who still believed last week).
Get a manager in to allow him a few weeks before the summer to get used to the team, and implement a style of football for next season.

Inigo Montoya

We won't get a better replacement right now. The best thing the board can do imo is to start looking at other managers and seeing what the possibilities are for the summer.

In the summer, if Moyes has improved the quality of our football and started showing some sort of plan, then the board might consider backing him. That would especially be the case if they don't find a replacement that is better (i.e. someone like Klopp).

There is no point imo to sack him and have Bruce, Martinez, Pochettino...Might as well stick with him till we can get a world class manager.
Good young managers are already taken unless you mean Klopp but he'll need time too. So I agree with you in that we need to see what his long term plans are

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You could have said it about Rodgers as well a year and a half ago. Sometimes you just need to be given the chance. Moyes was, of course, and we know how that's looking. The one thing the likes of Martinez have is the right style of football.
Rodgers always knew how he wanted his team to play. Moyes just has no playing style at all.

Inigo Montoya

Ubik's post makes it clear exactly why he should go. A contingency plan wouldn't matter now. 4th place is completely out of the question(for those who still believed last week).
Get a manager in to allow him a few weeks before the summer to get used to the team, and implement a style of football for next season.
Aint going to happen

Getsme

So what's that now, two wins all season against teams in the top half, and one of those is West Ham. Relegation form.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Everyone should be supporting Moyes, whether you think he's the right man or not.
I think Cameron is the wrong man to lead this country, I'm not going to blindly support him. That would be the act of a mental patient.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
If we go out with a whimper on wednesday then the board need to seriously have a rethink. It should be the final nail in the coffin.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It breaks my heart, his inability to formulate an attacking game plan, it really does. I can take the losses, the lack of imagination is beyond depressing at this stage. Why is it that Manchester United are just so poor at playing football? It doesn't have to be like this, I hope the owners act.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
From all the talk coming out of United, Moyes isn't going to be judged until he builds a new team in his own image.
Which is the most worrying thing. If he can't get a title winning team to finish in the top bloody six then what's a team that he builds going to achieve? Throw money around all we want but if the wrong man is in charge then nothing will change on the pitch. Liverpool got mocked with some of their poor signings but now they have a manager that has a clue, and has got them playing brilliant football. Never seen us so comprehensively outplayed by them at OT in years. Not even that 4-1 was as bad.

I'll support the club and the manager for as long as it's the case. He can only save himself though. It's looking likely that he can't inspire or get the best out of a very talented team. I'm tempted to be a bit more patient but we can't take much more of this surely.

An Irish Red

I hate admitting it , but gooDevil could well be speaking the truth. The Glazers don't seem to care this year, and SAF is too stubborn to admit defeat.
All the Glazers care about is money and we're taking a hit financially because of Moyes (near seventy million on players and no champions league revenue next year).

I'd never, ever thought I'd say this but I actually hope they go against Fergie if it comes down to it with Moyes. Fergie will always be a legend here but I'm absolutely certain he's wrong about Moyes.