So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Sir Scott McToMinay

That is a real danger, especially with a group of players who do not understand the Manchester United ethos or who think they are bigger than the club.

They will take one look at him and say Eddie who?

That was pretty much their reaction to David Moyes who had achieved similar levels of success at Everton.
I really like what he has achieved at tiny Bournemouth but it is very difficult to transfer that to a dysfunctional club like United.
Then these players will have to leave. We have to get someone long term next and give him full confidence and patience to work and get things sorted the right way, by playing good football and creating a cohesive side with players who fully want to be here, not just for trophies but for the privelige of playing for this club, as well as our very own talented crop of young players.
There’s not a single player in the squad I feel so emotionally invested in, that I’ll be deeply upset when he leaves. That’s my opinion at least.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Just out of curiousity which players are everyone referring to who don't get the club/think they're bigger than it?
Pogba I’d guess, perhaps De Gea not in a sense he doesn’t get the club, but I’d imagine both are feeling they are doing their job well while playing for basically an upper midtable side, when they can play for most clubs in the world while winning trophies and leagues in the process.

izec

By this logic, we shouldn't have bought e.g. Van Nistelrooy and Cristiano Ronaldo. How could would know how well they'd do in the PL when they'd only played in a lesser league before? Perhaps we should only buy Real Madrid cast-offs from here on out.
Jeez, did i ever say we shouldnt go for him? I actually wouldnt mind him, but there are of course certain risks everybody is aware of

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pogba I’d guess, perhaps De Gea not in a sense he doesn’t get the club, but I’d imagine both are feeling they are doing their job well while playing for basically an upper midtable side, when they can play for most clubs in the world while winning trophies and leagues in the process.
I'd hope not, Pogba was one of our best players during that run of comebacks and playing out of his skin, one of the reasons we kept coming back alongside Martial. What you said is doubly depressing because we really can't expect players like Pogba and De Gea to stick around when we're not challenging for any bloody trophies.

Moriarty

Hands up all those who think Eddie Howe could rock up at Old Trafford and turn our season around? Now go and sit at the back of the class.

Pablo76

Turned on the Christmas lights in my village yesterday. Has done a great job at Bournemouth but that’s still his level and I don’t see him going anywhere yet, as much as I would like to see a risk taken at our club after Jose.

RedNed77

Hands up all those who think Eddie Howe could rock up at Old Trafford and turn our season around? Now go and sit at the back of the class.
I don’t think it’s that far fetched. You’ll always get a new manager bounce, especially when the previous manager is as dour as Jose. I think a good run of positive results and a new manager laying down the tactics for more expansive football in the background whilst we’re getting some better results could turn our season around.

Whether he could sustain it into season 2 would be a question.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I'd hope not, Pogba was one of our best players during that run of comebacks and playing out of his skin, one of the reasons we kept coming back alongside Martial. What you said is doubly depressing because we really can't expect players like Pogba and De Gea to stick around when we're not challenging for any bloody trophies.
Yes, I’m not saying Pogba is slacking or anything like that, of course he’s doing his best to win every football match, but It’s only natural to have these thoughts about the dissonance between the state of the team compared with his status as a footballer.

No one is thinking that, it doesn’t matter how we finish the season, we’re in for a much longer ride and rebuild than we’ve ever expected, Howe is a good option for that process as far as I’m concerned.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
That’s not the appeal though is it. He’s not seen as short-term, a solution for This season. The idea is that he’s got an attractive decent brand of football and he’s going to have a long-term vision that might lead the club to competing whilst not playing such shit-on-a-stick football.

CM

I get the Brenton vibe off him. Can’t coach a defence, which is vital for every top club. One of the reasons Mourinho is failing here because he’s lost that ability.
Not strictly true when four of his current defenders played under him in League One. The fact he's managed to keep them in the Premier League for four seasons with that being the case is an achievement in itself.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Still not convinced that he'll be good enough for a top club.

Kag

He's been incredibly loyal to players like Simon Francis. There seems to be goals leaking from him or mistakes every game.
The refusal to move on has held him back sometimes.

The winner from Arsenal was an easy pass behind him.
Howe should have replaced these kinds of players already. He's had ample time, and enough funds.
I argued this the other week but there’s also the argument that keeping faith in these players is exactly why Howe has fostered the sort of positive environment he has. You only need to look at Fulham, or QPR previously, to realise how changing the team in such a short space of time can be problematic.

That said, Francis looks regularly woeful and it’s amazing he’s still in the side at right back. I’m sure he has good games. I just haven’t seen them...

Bojan11

Not strictly true when four of his current defenders played under him in League One. The fact he's managed to keep them in the Premier League for four seasons with that being the case is an achievement in itself.
So why has he not replaced them?

It’s not just the defence though. They look very open as a team and give a lot of space to the opposition.

His signings mostly have been a miss.

Moriarty

That’s not the appeal though is it. He’s not seen as short-term, a solution for This season. The idea is that he’s got an attractive decent brand of football and he’s going to have a long-term vision that might lead the club to competing whilst not playing such shit-on-a-stick football.
Oh, I agree. He's done a very good job with Bournemouth. I don't know much about the club and the expectations of the board there, but I would hate to see him thrust into the cauldron at United and emerge as a broken and defeated man.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't get why people compare him to Moyes...:rolleyes:

Because ten years ago this thread would be let's talk about Moyes.

This guy is Moyes ten years ago and would be the exact same disaster of an appointment but hey let's keep getting it wrong that's what we have been doing anyway .

Whenever anyone says things can't get worse they are lying they can always get worse

Moriarty

Whether he could sustain it into season 2 would be a question.
He seems like a nice bloke and his team is easy on the eye. I imagine the board is happy to see the team consolidate its top-flight status with maybe a good cup run. That's essentially what Moyes did at Everton. My opinion is that neither Moyes, Van Gaal, nor Mourinho ever came to terms with the commercial structure at United with its emphasis on monetizing every aspect of the club. Eddie Howe would get eaten alive in that environment.

billybee99

We won’t know, Bournemouth don’t play against packed defences. And to be fair, they don’t impress me that much. Some good players all focusing on the league each week, no expectations or pressure, still just mid-table with Leicester, Wolves and Watford. Exactly where everyone expects them to be. Howe hasn’t really shown me anything to make him ready for a top job, the risk is way too big.
Are you kidding? Howe is the very reason they are where you expect them to be. Did you expect Bournemouth to be consistent mid-table or top ten when they were promoted. You make it seem like we are talking about a team the size of Everton or something. As for all this nonsense about it being risky, that is all a smoke screen by Jose's legion of fanboys. What is the risk exactly? We are on the verge of finishing outside the top 4 for the 4th time in 6 years. We've done this with 2 champions league winning managers and a third manager who was, at the time, a well respected manager with many years of Premier League experience. I don't know if Howe is the man but I'm all for giving it to a young manager like Howe or Poch or Giggs. No more dinosaurs.

Strachans Cigar

The likes of Rio began getting the hump/taking the piss because David Moyes stopped him from eating chips.

Imagine what Pogba & Sanchez could do with the likes of Eddie Howe.

Has to be another big name manager for me to manage all these fecking primadonnas.

CM

So why has he not replaced them?

It’s not just the defence though. They look very open as a team and give a lot of space to the opposition.

His signings mostly have been a miss.
Well they have made defensive signings. The point is he has taken these players from League One level and most of them don't look out of place in the Premier League so he can clearly coach.

Every coach will have successes and failures in the transfer market. Plenty of the signings he has made have gone on to do good things for the club.

billybee99

The likes of Rio began getting the hump/taking the piss because David Moyes stopped him from eating chips.

Has to be another big name manager for me to manage all these fecking primadonnas.
Right. Because Mourinho and LVG did so well with the stars and primadonnas.

Aloysius's Back 3

Are you kidding? Howe is the very reason they are where you expect them to be. Did you expect Bournemouth to be consistent mid-table or top ten when they were promoted. You make it seem like we are talking about a team the size of Everton or something. As for all this nonsense about it being risky, that is all a smoke screen by Jose's legion of fanboys. What is the risk exactly? We are on the verge of finishing outside the top 4 for the 4th time in 6 years. We've done this with 2 champions league winning managers and a third manager who was, at the time, a well respected manager with many years of Premier League experience. I don't know if Howe is the man but I'm all for giving it to a young manager like Howe or Poch or Giggs. No more dinosaurs.
Top Post. We have arguably tried all we can with managers like Moyes, LVG and Jose - who are arguably all from the previous generation of managers. It's time we try something different and either give the job to someone like Butt/carrick/Mckenna/Giggs or to someone like Howe. Pochettino if available then he should be considered too as he is also a new generation manager - but going all out for him when he might show no particular interest for another EPL team after managing two already shouldn't distract us from our goals.

So what if Howe fails and lands us outside the top 4-7? How is that any different to what we have seen already? Infact; its the club expecting this that makes me want to see it for once. Watching the fans and board start off with low expectations and aiming to build them rather than watching high expectations deteriorate. It happened with Moyes managing high class players who managed to win a title under SAF, It happened with LVG with fans calling him a 'title winner' when I he was actually bought to build a generational team for Giggs to take over, and it happened with Jose now - where fans expected him to win a title at a club that carry a much higher philosphy and ethos than simply aiming for success in any shape or form.

I personally would rather take a backfoot and give the role to a homegrown coach like Butt/Carrick after sacking Jose early until one of Pochettino and Howe is available. We need to use these downward periods to get down and dirty with finding the right managers. If pochetting or Howe fail then give the job to Mckenna. There we have the ability to go through and try out 4 managers in 2 years rather than being loyal from the off when there is no need to be.

RedNed77

Top Post. We have arguably tried all we can with managers like Moyes, LVG and Jose - who are arguably all from the previous generation of managers. It's time we try something different and either give the job to someone like Butt/carrick/Mckenna/Giggs or to someone like Howe. Pochettino if available then he should be considered too as he is also a new generation manager - but going all out for him when he might show no particular interest for another EPL team after managing two already shouldn't distract us from our goals.

So what if Howe fails and lands us outside the top 4-7? How is that any different to what we have seen already? Infact; its the club expecting this that makes me want to see it for once. Watching the fans and board start off with low expectations and aiming to build them rather than watching high expectations deteriorate. It happened with Moyes managing high class players who managed to win a title under SAF, It happened with LVG with fans calling him a 'title winner' when I he was actually bought to build a generational team for Giggs to take over, and it happened with Jose now - where fans expected him to win a title at a club that carry a much higher philosphy and ethos than simply aiming for success in any shape or form.

I personally would rather take a backfoot and give the role to a homegrown coach like Butt/Carrick after sacking Jose early until one of Pochettino and Howe is available. We need to use these downward periods to get down and dirty with finding the right managers. If pochetting or Howe fail then give the job to Mckenna. There we have the ability to go through and try out 4 managers in 2 years rather than being loyal from the off when there is no need to be.
Agreed, trying the same thing over and over is not working for us. It’s made even worse when each of these high profile managers demands a huge transfer budget to make it their own team. Let Howe take it and put the emphasis on promoting from within. I think our youth setup is good enough to get us a 4-7th position. If he manages it, free up some funds for adding some high profile embellishments to make that final step. We’ve lost our identity and this world be a good step towards finding it again.

starman

Because ten years ago this thread would be let's talk about Moyes.

This guy is Moyes ten years ago and would be the exact same disaster of an appointment but hey let's keep getting it wrong that's what we have been doing anyway .

Whenever anyone says things can't get worse they are lying they can always get worse
When did Moyes take a team from League two to the Preimer League cementing their PL status while playing attractive progressive football?
Massive amount of ignorance comparing the two. But yeah, they are both British and both managing mid tier PL teams, so they must be the same. Moyes is closer Dyche if you wish to make a comparison.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We won’t know, Bournemouth don’t play against packed defences. And to be fair, they don’t impress me that much. Some good players all focusing on the league each week, no expectations or pressure, still just mid-table with Leicester, Wolves and Watford. Exactly where everyone expects them to be. Howe hasn’t really shown me anything to make him ready for a top job, the risk is way too big.
Yep, agree . Too much of a risk.

Aloysius's Back 3

Agreed, trying the same thing over and over is not working for us. It’s made even worse when each of these high profile managers demands a huge transfer budget to make it their own team. Let Howe take it and put the emphasis on promoting from within. I think our youth setup is good enough to get us a 4-7th position. If he manages it, free up some funds for adding some high profile embellishments to make that final step. We’ve lost our identity and this world be a good step towards finding it again.
This youth team thing is severely underrated in a generation where money is spent more so than ever. SAF reached a near 10-15 years of success from a bunch of players within our own squad. Why should we believe there is nothing down there right now whilst we salivate over other players of the same age in another league? Likewise Barcelona are coming to the end of a 10 year generation of success where Pep and enrique completely got the best out of their youth team players. Hell look at city - Foden and Sancho dont look bad and one has already left.

In my opinion - sometimes clubs like United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Milan, Juventus etc need to spend time looking at their own youth team more because ultimately and historically - They and we simply know what needs to be done with young players and know what it takes to make them work. That is not something clubs like Chelsea, City, Post Galactico Madrid or any other money bashing team are used to.

Ultimately trying to build a team that utilises it younger players is not simply part of our club ethos because we have to do it or because it is fun - it is because it has been successful for us in multiple generations.

Giving the chance to Butt, Howe, Carrick, Mckenna is much more in line because he would not spend 80 odd million on a striker when Rashford has broken through scoring a goal a game or two just a couple of years ago.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I think Eddie Howe is a very good manager and would love to see him have a chance at a top club but it's a very risky move and one that could backfire easily. I think it would take a "big six" club to tempt him away from Bournemouth though.

RedNed77

This youth team thing is severely underrated in a generation where money is spent more so than ever. SAF reached a near 10-15 years of success from a bunch of players within our own squad. Why should we believe there is nothing down there right now whilst we salivate over other players of the same age in another league? Likewise Barcelona are coming to the end of a 10 year generation of success where Pep and enrique completely got the best out of their youth team players. Hell look at city - Foden and Sancho dont look bad and one has already left.

In my opinion - sometimes clubs like United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Milan, Juventus etc need to spend time looking at their own youth team more because ultimately and historically - They and we simply know what needs to be done with young players and know what it takes to make them work. That is not something clubs like Chelsea, City, Post Galactico Madrid or any other money bashing team are used to.

Ultimately trying to build a team that utilises it younger players is not simply part of our club ethos because we have to do it or because it is fun - it is because it has been successful for us in multiple generations.

Giving the chance to Butt, Howe, Carrick, Mckenna is much more in line because he would not spend 80 odd million on a striker when Rashford has broken through scoring a goal a game or two just a couple of years ago.
Couldn’t agree more. Top post.

UncleBob

Bit of a misunderstanding. Rio took the piss because he wasn't put firmly back in his place by the manager when he stepped out of line (and he did so quite a few times). Moyes had no authority because he wasn't mentally strong enough, not because he didn't have a big enough name.

M16Red

Incidentally, Howe won PL MotM for October. The photo to announce it on the club website includes the whole backroom team. Another clear statement from him recognising the contribution that others make to our success and it not being about him and his ego.

I bet he keeps the trophy though!

Well done Eddie, has Jose won one this season? Wonder if jose tried the same thing just who would be in the picture? Matic?

Really interesting video which describes his meticulous and hands on approach to management. The more I think about it the more he seems exactly what we need at OT.

Just a good overview, its not about just the football - its about his personal traits.

lsd

The Oracle
When did Moyes take a team from League two to the Preimer League cementing their PL status while playing attractive progressive football?
Massive amount of ignorance comparing the two. But yeah, they are both British and both managing mid tier PL teams, so they must be the same. Moyes is closer Dyche if you wish to make a comparison.

Almost did it at Preston and his record at Everton taking them to a top four finish as well as 5th the year later and a cup final all on no budget far and I repeat far outweighs anything Howe has achieved

Canagel

Almost did it at Preston and his record at Everton taking them to a top four finish as well as 5th the year later and a cup final all on no budget far and I repeat far outweighs anything Howe has achieved
Moyes never had a philosophy. Howe does. In this era we have many coaches who aren't decorated but they go to jobs and do well because they have a clear philosophy.

M16Red

Howe took over a team in administration in league 2 who started the season on -17 points. He used his OWN money to pay a conditioning coach... now that is no budget.

lsd

The Oracle
Howe took over a team in administration in league 2 who started the season on -17 points. He used his OWN money to pay a conditioning coach... now that is no budget.

Gone read that post again please . Are you really saying we should go for a manager because of what he did in league 2? Really ?

Moyes achieved far more than Howe in the Premiership on no budget and look at the disaster he was at Utd .

Howe would be the daftest appointment in history of football if he became Utd manager . Even moreso than Moyes .

We are supposed to be trying to get back to where we were here not going backwards .

I'm sure if we got relegated then Howe might be a decent shout to get us promoted but honestly I kinda want to be back winning titles again

Maybe that's just me

lsd

The Oracle
Moyes never had a philosophy. Howe does. In this era we have many coaches who aren't decorated but they go to jobs and do well because they have a clear philosophy.

Van Gaal had a philosophy

M16Red

Gone read that post again please . Are you really saying we should go for a manager because of what he did in league 2? Really ?

Moyes achieved far more than Howe in the Premiership on no budget and look at the disaster he was at Utd .

Howe would be the daftest appointment in history of football if he became Utd manager . Even moreso than Moyes .

We are supposed to be trying to get back to where we were here not going backwards .

I'm sure if we got relegated then Howe might be a decent shout to get us promoted but honestly I kinda want to be back winning titles again

Maybe that's just me
Do you remember the football Moyes played at Everton? There was a reason that Fellaini was classed as there best player.

Do you think poch would leave tot? Hey they are almost finished with the new stadium. If he goes anywhere it'll be Madrid.

I want a coach who is young and understands EPL.

JSArsenal

I think Howe is the next Spurs manager once Poch goes.

United might be too big of a leap for him right now in all honesty. Zidane and Guardiola are the exceptions not the rule, both of them were also firmly integrated into the setups of their respective clubs

The culture shock Howe might get coming from Bournemouth (no disrespect intended) to the global phenomenon that is Manchester United. Most other top managers had experience managing a mid level club before they took their big job. Mourinho at Porto, Wenger at Monaco, Ferguson at Aberdeen, Ancelotti at Parma.

I think Neville made a mistake going straight to Valencia as well. There is nothing wrong with starting out at a top club but I think it should be one where you played as a player and know well, or at least a league where you used to play and know well. I think he would have done better if he took over Everton instead of Valencia. Having all the tactical knowledge in the world won't do you any good if the players won't listen or buy into your methods. Madrid players listened to Zidane because he is a club legend and they had experience working with him from the time he was assistant coach. Why would Paul Pogba listen to Eddie Howe?