So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

lsd

The Oracle
Neither Zidane or Ancelotti play good football though. Signing experienced managers has hardly gone brilliantly for us, Mourinho and LvG both had the relevant experience, pedigree and trophies to back them up and both have been failures here.

Mourinho and LVG have been defensive and the wrong choice .

We need a big name who plays attacking football or who will be willing too at Utd there are a few out there .

Going for Howe is a recipe for disaster . It's like thinking Craig Shakespeare could have emulated Ranieri .

One thing Mourinho was right about was when he said big clubs need big managers .

Sadly for us he was the wrong big manager

Sir Scott McToMinay

We need a big name who plays attacking football or who will be willing too at Utd there are a few out there .

Going for Howe is a recipe for disaster . It's like thinking Craig Shakespeare could have emulated Ranieri .

One thing Mourinho was right about was when he said big clubs need big managers .

Was Zidane a big manager? Was Klopp a big manager before Dortmund? Was Del
Bosque a big manager? I can honestly go on and on and on.
LvG wasn’t a particularly defensive manager, if at all, but for some reason that’s how he has chosen to manage the team he had at United.
Both LvG and Mourinho were logical picks at the time, far more logical than appointing Ancelotti, who has had a very poor league and transfer record theoughout his career.

Eddie Howe is nothing like Moyes, Moyes was an old-school manager with an old-school coaching system, Eddie Howe is a proper modern manager, whose Bournemouth side are punching far higher above their weight that Moyes’ Everton ever did.
How is Marco Silva a better candidate than Howe? I honestly don’t get this logic.

I think the problem with your mindset is that you think we’re a one top manager and 2 transfer windows away from winning the league, if we’ll hold to this mindset we won’t win the league for another dacade.
The only manager who could win us the league in 2 - 3 years is right accross the road and we have no chance of getting him.

To me, we’re about 5 years away from winning the league with the right manager, and we need a long term one, who’ll rebuild the team and he’ll need a ton of patience and support, and if that means Pogba will leave, then so be it, and I rate Pogba very highly.

We really need someone to sort us out proper, with an obvious vision in place, and most importantly, someone who’ll play good football, and Howe is a fantastic candidate in my book.
Because we’re guaranteed attacking and proactive football, unlike Moyes and Jose, and I think that will give him a bigger support and patience from the supporters even if the results won’t be great from the get go.
You’re still holding to the mindset that we’re a top side, we’re not a top side, we’re a huge club with resources and massive appeal but in the footballing aspect of things, we’re a mess, and that is not solely because of Moyes or Lvg or Jose.
We need a modern young, hungry attacking coach who’ll build a real team, and will integrate our fantastic young players into the team, mixed with proven players who want to be here and fight for this club.
One thing we’ve got going for us at the moment is our academy, which is in the best shape it’s been for years if not decades, and the current crop is full of talent.

Let’s say we appoint Ancelotti, you think he can win the league against Pep’s City, there’s absolutely no chance of this happening, he’ll come for 2-3 years, buy poorly, win the odd cup and then leaves, that leaves us in exactly the same position we’re at now, only further down the line with possibly and even more disjointed and weaker group of players.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

What on earth are you on about? There's not a single similarity whatsoever. Howe's been a manager for years, what he's achieved with Bournemouth can't be overstated.

I'm not saying Howe is the right man for the job but all managers have to start somewhere, unless you're lucky like Zidane and Guardiola who get huge jobs at the start of their managerial career. Klopp for example did some impressive work with Mainz before he was given the opportunity at Dortmund to succeed and win trophies.

Appointing a manager is a gamble, I think if we want to actually do things the "United way" then we'll have to actually take the gamble because the so-called big names available don't really fit the United style of attacking football and giving young players a chance, whereas smaller names, like Howe, do. The ideal big name candidates are already taken and unfortunately for us are mostly at our rivals.

Pochettino wasn't a bigger name than Mourinho but I bet if United fans had the chance to go back and get him instead almost 100% of the fan base would do it. Howe could be our Pochettino or not but he fits the fans' vision more than a few other names would.

arthurka

Are you kidding? Howe is the very reason they are where you expect them to be. Did you expect Bournemouth to be consistent mid-table or top ten when they were promoted. You make it seem like we are talking about a team the size of Everton or something. As for all this nonsense about it being risky, that is all a smoke screen by Jose's legion of fanboys. What is the risk exactly? We are on the verge of finishing outside the top 4 for the 4th time in 6 years. We've done this with 2 champions league winning managers and a third manager who was, at the time, a well respected manager with many years of Premier League experience. I don't know if Howe is the man but I'm all for giving it to a young manager like Howe or Poch or Giggs. No more dinosaurs.
This..
good post

lsd

The Oracle
Was Zidane a big manager? Was Klopp a big manager before Dortmund? Was Del
Bosque a big manager? I can honestly go on and on and on.
LvG wasn’t a particularly defensive manager, if at all, but for some reason that’s how he has chosen to manage the team he had at United.
Both LvG and Mourinho were logical picks at the time, far more logical than appointing Ancelotti, who has had a very poor league and transfer record theoughout his career.

Eddie Howe is nothing like Moyes, Moyes was an old-school manager with an old-school coaching system, Eddie Howe is a proper modern manager, whose Bournemouth side are punching far higher above their weight that Moyes’ Everton ever did.
How is Marco Silva a better candidate than Howe? I honestly don’t get this logic.

I think the problem with your mindset is that you think we’re a one top manager and 2 transfer windows away from winning the league, if we’ll hold to this mindset we won’t win the league for another dacade.
The only manager who could win us the league in 2 - 3 years is right accross the road and we have no chance of getting him.

To me, we’re about 5 years away from winning the league with the right manager, and we need a long term one, who’ll rebuild the team and he’ll need a ton of patience and support, and if that means Pogba will leave, then so be it, and I rate Pogba very highly.

We really need someone to sort us out proper, with an obvious vision in place, and most importantly, someone who’ll play good football, and Howe is a fantastic candidate in my book.
Because we’re guaranteed attacking and proactive football, unlike Moyes and Jose, and I think that will give him a bigger support and patience from the supporters even if the results won’t be great from the get go.
You’re still holding to the mindset that we’re a top side, we’re not a top side, we’re a huge club with resources and massive appeal but in the footballing aspect of things, we’re a mess, and that is not solely because of Moyes or Lvg or Jose.
We need a modern young, hungry attacking coach who’ll build a real team, and will integrate our fantastic young players into the team, mixed with proven players who want to be here and fight for this club.
One thing we’ve got going for us at the moment is our academy, which is in the best shape it’s been for years if not decades, and the current crop is full of talent.

Let’s say we appoint Ancelotti, you think he can win the league against Pep’s City, there’s absolutely no chance of this happening, he’ll come for 2-3 years, buy poorly, win the odd cup and then leaves, that leaves us in exactly the same position we’re at now, only further down the line with possibly and even more disjointed and weaker group of players.

I don't know why you want to put words in my mouth but we are nowhere near city under any manager unless we do get taken over by the Saudis and buy their team .

Nor do I want Ancelotti either . I mentioned him because another poster said we should talk to Howe even if to just get his opinion . What on earth for ? Get the opinion of someone been there and done that of that's all you want . We have Fergie for that even

Howe is not a fantastic candidate to manage Utd under any category either . I can't even type that without shaking my head .

Say that anywhere outside England and the reply will be Howe ? What Utd are you on you about ?

Howe is far far under Poch as far as I'm concerned and Poch hasn't shown enough in my book either although he is getting there .

You have to get someone used to winning things and managing top players at the top level or you will just end up with Moyes no matter how many times you try and say they are different .

Klopp was a very successful manager before he came to Liverpool . The perfect manager for us in my opinion .

For us to ever have a chance at getting back to where we were we need that calibre of manager . Someone who has been to the top not who has strived to get mid table

Smores

Just another flavour of the month manager and this'll just be another one of those upcoming manager threads that in hindsight look ridiculous.

izec

Howe has been discussed on here since they made it into the PL, so i dont see how he is the flavour of the month.

I would only take Poch over Howe for certain, the rest like Zidane are up for debate. They offer different things, but a Howe is more what we need than a Zidane i feel, as stupid as it sounds. This United are lacking in so many basic areas that i am not sure Zidane would be able to work with them to be competitive.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I don't know why you want to put words in my mouth but we are nowhere near city under any manager unless we do get taken over by the Saudis and buy their team .

Nor do I want Ancelotti either . I mentioned him because another poster said we should talk to Howe even if to just get his opinion . What on earth for ? Get the opinion of someone been there and done that of that's all you want . We have Fergie for that even

Howe is not a fantastic candidate to manage Utd under any category either . I can't even type that without shaking my head .

Say that anywhere outside England and the reply will be Howe ? What Utd are you on you about ?

Howe is far far under Poch as far as I'm concerned and Poch hasn't shown enough in my book either although he is getting there .

You have to get someone used to winning things and managing top players at the top level or you will just end up with Moyes no matter how many times you try and say they are different .

Klopp was a very successful manager before he came to Liverpool . The perfect manager for us in my opinion .

For us to ever have a chance at getting back to where we were we need that calibre of manager . Someone who has been to the top not who has strived to get mid table
I’m not sure what do you mean to say with the England and Howe part, Man United are an English club.
If you’re saying that no top clubs across Europe ever appointed local relatively unproven manager to great success then you are massively mistaken.
I gave you examples of managers who were unproven before joining a big club and winning things and you choose to ignore it.
Dortmund are a big club in Germany, Howe’s record is more impressive to me than Klopp’s with Mainz.

I’m sick and tired of big name players and past it big name managers, I just want a young modern manager who’ll believe in our young players and will play proactive fearless attacking football week in week out, much rather that, than winning the odd cup and playing unwatchable football every week, with the occasional top 4 finish.
We need someone young and long term, I don’t see many proven winning managers who’ll come here and give us success as well as great football.
Tuchel hasn’t won much and he’s unavailable, Pochettino would be my first choice but I don’t think he’ll be available for the next 2 years.

I wouldn’t be against Zidane just out of sheer curiosity and respect for his CL haul, but it’s hard to take him seriously as a long term coach when he left the top job in club football for a totally different type of role, I’m also not a huge fan of his style of play.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Howe would be a Glazers / Woodward dream ticket - a manager over-awed at the club and their budget that wouldn't demand excellence from them as a board and would be grateful to be here.

It'd be another Moyes imo (though slightly better).

Really surprised that folk on here are actually up for it.

Imagine Howe dealing with elite-wages players like Sanchez, Pogba, de Gea etc, it's laughable.

This is a HUGE club, with HUGE expectation - don't let the Glazers / Woodward hypnotize you into believing otherwise and / or lowering your standards.

We are looking for a manager to come and compete with Guardiola and Klopp...

Eddie Howe ain't that guy, yet.

Pochettino - maybe. Zidane - perhaps.

But you don't go from winning nothing and managing Bournemouth to taking Man Utd back to where it belongs.

I honestly think the current board would love someone like Howe here, which concerns me, because when it comes to laughable, borderline insane decisions that serve no-one but themselves - they often go all in...

lsd

The Oracle
Howe would be a Glazers / Woodward dream ticket - a manager over-awed at the club and their budget that wouldn't demand excellence from them as a board and would be grateful to be here.

Imagine Howe dealing with elite-wages players like Sanchez, Pogba, de Gea etc, it's laughable.

This is a HUGE club, with HUGE expectation - don't let the Glazers / Woodward hypnotize you into believing otherwise and / or lowering your standards.

But you don't go from winning nothing and managing Bournemouth to taking Man Utd back to where it belongs.

I honestly think the current board would love someone like Howe here, which concerns me, because when it comes to laughable, borderline insane decisions that serve no-one but themselves - they often go all in...

I know it's a very sad sign for the club when fans think Howe is the answer .

Sir Scott McToMinay

Sanchez should be the first player out of the door, regardless who the next manager is.
The idea that in order to command respect from big players you have to be a proven manager was supposed to go down the drain after LvG and at worst during Jose’s tenure here, we won’t get a bigger name or a more proven manager than him, worked well so far...
Also, Pogba and De Gea are not Messi or Ronaldo, they are nowhere near worthy of such player power, feck that.
I also have no doubt that Pogba will enjoy his football under Howe far more than he does under Mourinho.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
With who though? Nicky Butt?
McKenna. Or pick Howe. Or pick up the current Betis boss. Something left field where you pick a guy with clear talent and fresh ideas that just needs a platform to perform. Rather than plumping for a reputation merchant like we did with our last 3 bosses. Or rather our last 2 and the current one.

automaticflare

That is a real danger, especially with a group of players who do not understand the Manchester United ethos or who think they are bigger than the club.

They will take one look at him and say Eddie who?

That was pretty much their reaction to David Moyes who had achieved similar levels of success at Everton.
I really like what he has achieved at tiny Bournemouth but it is very difficult to transfer that to a dysfunctional club like United.

Who cares our players are shit anyways

We were held to ransom by fellaini in the summer and are about to give smalling a new contract

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just another flavour of the month manager and this'll just be another one of those upcoming manager threads that in hindsight look ridiculous.
How is Howe flavour of the month? He’s been working miracles down on the south coast for the best part of a decade now.

Again, doesn’t necessarily mean Howe would succeed. But some of you are just blinded by big, big, HUGE.

We’re a huge club it’s huge expectations and huge squad with huge egos. How would Howe manage those huge egos and huge expectations and huge transfers and huge wages. It’s a genuine obsession.

You’ve just hired probably the biggest manager in the game. He has been, I think it’s fair to say, a failure relative to expectations and he’s served up football that’s sent most of your fanbase to sleep and created an adversarial atmosphere st the club. Before that, you hired another big name manager, who’d just reached the wc final. Again, relative to expectations, he did not do all that well. Sanchez was bought for huge wages. People here were proclaiming him the leagues best player, the catalyst vs city. Flop so far. It goes on. Perhaps a different approach is needed?

I wonder how you guys would have reacted to Pep, Zidane (or your own equivalents), Conte, Heynckes, Klopp, Del Bosque etc. The list goes on I’m sure for those more knowledgeable than me.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How is Howe flavour of the month? He’s been working miracles down on the south coast for the best part of a decade now.

Again, doesn’t necessarily mean Howe would succeed. But some of you are just blinded by big, big, HUGE.

We’re a huge club it’s huge expectations and huge squad with huge egos. How would Howe manage those huge egos and huge expectations and huge transfers and huge wages. It’s a genuine obsession.

You’ve just hired probably the biggest manager in the game. He has been, I think it’s fair to say, a failure relative to expectations and he’s served up football that’s sent most of your fanbase to sleep and created an adversarial atmosphere st the club. Before that, you hired another big name manager, who’d just reached the wc final. Again, relative to expectations, he did not do all that well. Sanchez was bought for huge wages. People here were proclaiming him the leagues best player, the catalyst vs city. Flop so far. It goes on. Perhaps a different approach is needed?

I wonder how you guys would have reacted to Pep, Zidane (or your own equivalents), Conte, Heynckes, Klopp, Del Bosque etc. The list goes on I’m sure for those more knowledgeable than me.
How would we of reacted to what?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How would we of reacted to what?
To them being hired manager of Man Utd at th same stage they were hired for their first big jobs. They were all hired at their first big jobs, all without a trophy and sometimes with negligible managing experience.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Also, while Burnley persistently had xpoints consistently much lower than their actual number of points and actually not far off the relegation places (and subsequently seem to have reverted to the mean this season), Bournemouth are actually good value so far for their points and position.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
To them being hired manager of Man Utd at th same stage they were hired for their first big jobs. They were all hired at their first big jobs, all without a trophy and sometimes with negligible managing experience.
Ah I see, well you're not wrong, certainly in the likes of Pep and Zidanes case they look like master strokes by Barca and Madrid. Not sure what Conte's first job was? Juve? If so likewise to them. Problem is because of those appointments people will say give it to Giggs (lol) or now Carrick thinking we'll unearth the same but it's very unlikely but like you said we've tried arguably the best in Mourinho and that hasn't worked for us either.

arthurka

Howe wouldnt play liked this vs Young Boys at home. Even with Bournemouth. With our next manager we need to be brave, young and brave with a focus on youth. An identity or a style of play would be nice. Howe ticks all the boxes.

lsd

The Oracle
Howe wouldnt play liked this vs Young Boys at home. Even with Bournemouth. With our next manager we need to be brave, young and brave with a focus on youth. An identity or a style of play would be nice. Howe ticks all the boxes.

All the boxes ?

Proven winner ?
Experience of managing a big club and players ?
Transfers?

What boxes where you ticking ?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

A big name manager would be expected to start winning trophies almost immediately, that is generally why a club employs them, so I feel that a big name manager coming in would possibly employ many of the big name players that we have now (Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, Matic), and also recruit players that are proven in EPL or Europe looking for immediate results. I feel that a new vibrant manager, with new methods (Howe is one), is a necessity for this club, which will allow our many outstanding academy talents the chance to prove themselves at the highest level over the next few years. I don't believe that Jose would give many of these players an opportunity, so we need to replace him asap, so the club can build for the future.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I’m not sure what do you mean to say with the England and Howe part, Man United are an English club.
If you’re saying that no top clubs across Europe ever appointed local relatively unproven manager to great success then you are massively mistaken.
I gave you examples of managers who were unproven before joining a big club and winning things and you choose to ignore it.
Dortmund are a big club in Germany, Howe’s record is more impressive to me than Klopp’s with Mainz.

I’m sick and tired of big name players and past it big name managers, I just want a young modern manager who’ll believe in our young players and will play proactive fearless attacking football week in week out, much rather that, than winning the odd cup and playing unwatchable football every week, with the occasional top 4 finish.
We need someone young and long term, I don’t see many proven winning managers who’ll come here and give us success as well as great football.
Tuchel hasn’t won much and he’s unavailable, Pochettino would be my first choice but I don’t think he’ll be available for the next 2 years.

I wouldn’t be against Zidane just out of sheer curiosity and respect for his CL haul, but it’s hard to take him seriously as a long term coach when he left the top job in club football for a totally different type of role, I’m also not a huge fan of his style of play.
I agree with this completely. The job at United right now is a longer term building job, and despite Zidane showing a great quality of managing big players he didn't do great in the league and the challenge at United is very different. As an oppo fan I'd rather see you hire Zidane or Ancelotti because I think the likelihood of them failing is bigger than someone like Howe. If people are worried how the 'big' players would react to Howe before giving him a chance I would rather see them leave the club.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Incidentally, Howe won PL MotM for October. The photo to announce it on the club website includes the whole backroom team. Another clear statement from him recognising the contribution that others make to our success and it not being about him and his ego.

I bet he keeps the trophy though!

Certainly makes a nice change from this:

"First of all, let me send a message to my lovers and say I play Champions League 14 years and qualify 14 times. And the year where I didn’t play Champions League, I won the Europa League twice."

arthurka

All the boxes ?

Proven winner ?
Transfers?

Both LVG and Mourinho were proven winners right? How did that go?

Matt007a

Howe is a risk for sure. I'd say Poch is the preferred choice for most people, but there are major doubts about whether he'd join us right now.

There is no evidence that he can't handle a bigger job and better players, just like there is no evidence that he can. That's the nature of a gamble. One thing you can be sure of is that the quality of our football would improve. If any player turns around and says "I'm not playing for this guy because he's not proven at a big club" that player should be shown the door. Klopp was unproven at the top level before Dortmund, Guardiola was unproven before he took the Barca job, Zidane was unproven before taking the Real Madrid job. Sure it doesn't work that way every time, but to say he couldn't possibly do the job is untrue.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To be honest I don't see too many top managers available out there currently, which is probably part of the reason why we have been persisting with Mourinho.

That said hiring Howe would basically be the same move we did with Moyes in 2013 - a mid-table manager who has overachieved with his current team but does not have any silverware to his name. It doesn't mean it'd necessarily be a bad move, we would certainly be more fun to watch but I don't remember too many cases in recent years where a top club would employ a mid-table manager and it would work out well for them. Usually when they tried they ended up getting average/mediocre results and were forced to replace him within 1-2 years. And some of them have done this from a much better position than us and it was easier for the new guy, at current United whoever comes after Mourinho will need to struggle for a while because of how little quality the team has. Look at Niko Kovac at Bayern. It's a very tough job.

M16Red

All the boxes ?

Proven winner ?
Transfers?

I'm past the "winner" phase of managers now, Jose we all know has this "winner" title, yet when you sit down on a weekend you watch your team play do you enjoy it? Because I don't.

His transfers are not the best ether, the guy sold Salah and KDB if Chelsea still had them they'd be winning the EPL hands down.

I like Howe because ive watch his team play attacking football even when they'd be better parking bus. People will want Zezu but he has no idea where stoke is or i doubt even cares, he is also french if there was a choice between PSG or Utd where do you think he'd go? Poch has built a team and is just about to move into a new ground and is wanted by Madrid. Stay? Madrid or UTD?

You've compared Moyes to Howe a number of times they are completely different people who have different philosophies on football. I think if you've not watched Bournemouth play (a part from the utd game) give them a watch. I've watch them a couple of times and enjoy watching them more than Utd this year Brooks is my dark horse for the England squad (think hes English)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ah I see, well you're not wrong, certainly in the likes of Pep and Zidanes case they look like master strokes by Barca and Madrid. Not sure what Conte's first job was? Juve? If so likewise to them. Problem is because of those appointments people will say give it to Giggs (lol) or now Carrick thinking we'll unearth the same but it's very unlikely but like you said we've tried arguably the best in Mourinho and that hasn't worked for us either.
Nah, Conte's first job was Arezzo and he spent 5 years coaching 4 different clubs, mostly in serie B, winning one serie B in thst time, getting sacked and resigning another time before things got too ugly for him. Allegri is another who had won serie c1 before getting the Milan job.

I don't know what will work for Man Utd tbh but I do know that your current approach is not working. Going big, big, big is not necessarily the way.

Incidentally, I don't think every manager would work for every situation. I'm not sure how Zidane would do at Man Utd for example. Ironically, before this current stint I would have said Mourinho was one of the few who could guarantee you more than the sum of your parts, even if for a short period.

Fosu-Mens

Incidentally, I don't think every manager would work for every situation. I'm not sure how Zidane would do at Man Utd for example. Ironically, before this current stint I would have said Mourinho was one of the few who could guarantee you more than the sum of your parts, even if for a short period.
Main reason for wanting Mourinho was to attract big names, coming back into the CL and clearing out the deadwood. If Zidane is mainly interested in £££ he will coach us, unless he has very high faith in his own managerial abilites and think that he can turn this sinking ship around. Otherwise i think he sees the mess this club is in at every level and understands that taking this job is a major risk. It will either make him a god or a failure with a decent payout which is the most probable outcome.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Klopp got relegated with Mainz before he was considered to be successful with Dortmund.

The issue of your opinion and category is that you think we should hire a proven one who has won something and managing big team and player. But if you look at our last two managers, LVG and Mourinho were proven ones to have won the league comp and champions league and it seems proven winners aren’t always the solution.

Another issue is that you are using Moyes as an example of what happen if we just hire non proven manager. But what you are missing is that both managers have different philosophy and playing style. Howe likes to play attacking football and likes to sign and give young players chances. Moyes is just a defensive manager and don’t really focus buying young players but signing any ages players for one season aim.

Is Howe going to be the solution? Who knows but I’ll give him chances. Attacking football, signing and giving young players chances. He got similar philosophy as our club philosophy.

Reactions: Varun

Varun

Staff
All the boxes ?

Proven winner ?
Transfers?

Mourinho and even LVG to an extent ticked both these boxes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All the boxes ?

Proven winner ?
Transfers?

I imagine:
  • Attacking and exciting football
  • Excels at squad building
  • Good at spotting talent
  • Progressive tactically
  • Good understanding of English football
  • In a good stage of his career having done excellently with Bournemouth
  • Appears to be lauded for his man management
Everyone has different criteria. Proven winner and managerial experience at big clubs doesn't have to be everyone's criteria.