So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Very good manager but i think he's taken Bournemouth as far as he can and needs a bigger challenge. Is he good enough for a top 6 side? Who knows unless he gets the chance, i personally think he'd do well.

I see people mentioning him not being able to deal with big players. But I think truth be told the likes of Pogba, Martial etc would probably prefer to play Howe than Jose right now. Simply because of the style of play, Howe plays positive football and gets behind his players whereas Jose does the opposite.

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
Didn’t notice you on here as a Bournemouth fan before!

Welcome! My uncle lives there so I’ve been going to games since I was a kid, August and Easter breaks, as much as you can have a “second club” it’s always been Bournemouth for me. Been a hell of a ride the last few years. Howe is an absolute gent. Bournemouth is the perfect club for him though, and it would be interesting to see him at a bigger club, though I doubt he would overachieve to this level, comparatively, anywhere else.
Thanks. You don't start supporting a team like AFCB with the expectation of watching PL football (well, anyone in the last five seasons maybe but prior to that) so it's been a bizarre few years. Down the years I've often accompanied mates from around the country to watch their PL teams and they were kind enough to be dragged to some, shall we say, stadiums with character to watch the Cherries with me. It's come as a bit of a shock for us to be talking about playing each other but since most of them have a soft spot for us now none have complained too vociferously when we've beaten them. Still need Spurs for the complete set, I don't know anyone that supports Man City so I don't have to worry about that one!

This thread actually reminds me of when I registered on this site, a bit about one of our matches against each other but more specifically to mention that you should keep an eye on Howe as he may be someone in whom you would be interested in the future:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/eddie-howe-afc-bournemouth.412511/

I think the next ten league games are going to be pivotal in his future. With six of them against the big six if he can come out of that run with us still in touch then things might start progressing beyond idle speculation. It's almost enough to make me wish for a couple of capitulations in there to put off any potential suitors. Almost.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Based on a patch of form? Last season was the the first season when he hadn't improved on our league position compared to his prior season managing us, and that goes across both spells. That's about seven years of constant improvement before last season's shocking (ha!) drop off in form, from 9th to 12th or 46 points down to 44 points. I'm reasonably confident we'll top that this year. Constant and regular improvement season by season isn't a purple patch. It's the exact opposite.

We've had an outstanding start to the season but it's also fair to point out we've only played Chelsea from the traditional big six. That will change as we have four out of the next six in the league against them, or six in ten. It's a very tough run and should give a true indication how far we've come since last season. We know we're definitely better against 'the rest' but can we put up a fight against 'the best'? If I'm honest I'll be very surprised if we're still sitting in the top six after that run but if we do find ourselves there then I think interest in Howe will start to gather a lot more pace.

His signings have also improved season on season. You have to remember our scouting department was basically non-existant five or six years back. A dvd player and some characters here and there from The Nowhere Men (excellent book, check it out) when needed. Building a Premier League level system where you can sift through all the available information and get the required players at the right price doesn't happen overnight but he's starting shopping abroad a little more and definitely has a good eye for players in the UK. Brooks being the obvious latest example.

I've waxed lyrical on here about him before over the past few weeks so won't bore you by repeating myself. Sadly for us I still think the most likely scenario is you taking Poch from Spurs and them taking Howe from us. If that should happen then I may find myself committing a serious crime... hacking the chairman's phone and blocking Pardew's number.
My patch of form comment, seems like this has cropped up due to the start to the season. I don't mean to discount what he's done over the last few seasons, as that has been a great achievement. Your second paragraph was in line with my thoughts, but i'll be happily proven wrong if you come through that run of games with a fair few points.

I'll give him his signings have definitely improved a bit, I always thought he had a shocking eye for value in the UK, for example Mings, Ibe, Grabban and your weird on/off relationship with Afobe. He has offset that now a bit with Cook, Brooks and Wilson. He also picks up good frees.

I can't see us taking Poch any time soon, but I'd like that. You'll find a good replacement if that did happen though, I imagine he'd have a say in it and there are some good managers I think you could attract.

sugar_kane

Not as exotic a choice as Poch but he’s had a very similar amount of success, I wouldn’t be opposed to us taking a punt on him.

Going for the big names has clearly not panned out well for us.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Based on a patch of form? Last season was the the first season when he hadn't improved on our league position compared to his prior season managing us, and that goes across both spells. That's about seven years of constant improvement before last season's shocking (ha!) drop off in form, from 9th to 12th or 46 points down to 44 points. I'm reasonably confident we'll top that this year. Constant and regular improvement season by season isn't a purple patch. It's the exact opposite.

We've had an outstanding start to the season but it's also fair to point out we've only played Chelsea from the traditional big six. That will change as we have four out of the next six in the league against them, or six in ten. It's a very tough run and should give a true indication how far we've come since last season. We know we're definitely better against 'the rest' but can we put up a fight against 'the best'? If I'm honest I'll be very surprised if we're still sitting in the top six after that run but if we do find ourselves there then I think interest in Howe will start to gather a lot more pace.

His signings have also improved season on season. You have to remember our scouting department was basically non-existant five or six years back. A dvd player and some characters here and there from The Nowhere Men (excellent book, check it out) when needed. Building a Premier League level system where you can sift through all the available information and get the required players at the right price doesn't happen overnight but he's starting shopping abroad a little more and definitely has a good eye for players in the UK. Brooks being the obvious latest example.

I've waxed lyrical on here about him before over the past few weeks so won't bore you by repeating myself. Sadly for us I still think the most likely scenario is you taking Poch from Spurs and them taking Howe from us. If that should happen then I may find myself committing a serious crime... hacking the chairman's phone and blocking Pardew's number.
:lol:

SER19

I don’t doubt it gets you off to a good start. Surely the players understanding what you’re on about, and believing that they can make it work, is more important though?

I always enjoy Howe’s interviews. Intelligence certainly, but there’s a lot more; lucidity and, dare I say it, underlying passion.

That said, I wouldn’t want him anywhere near United while the present “structure” remains in place. For both our sake and his.
I agree with what you’re saying and think that all those things SHOULD be more important. But look at Lopetegui at Madrid, and he had even coached some with Spain. Some people are saying it’s just a free for all at Madrid now. Ramos self appointed free kick taker, players simply not listening to manager. The egos these days are unfathomable. Madrid’s current situation and Moyes at united, are largely what I would expect should a huge club appoint a talented manager who has not won much, coached in huge club games or atmospheres, Europe, and does not have the reputation as a hugely admired player to initially keep them in line. They’re instantly fighting against the current regardless.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Plus point for Howe is his style of play is a modern pressing style so that would fit well with what the modern player demands.

Big problem with many of the emerging UK managers in last 10 years is most play pragmatic style which has its limits.

Dyche done brilliant at Burnley but I don't see how his style could translate to one of the top clubs, it's not that much different to what Pulis and Steve Bruce play.

Howe is different. Bournemouth rip teams apart on good days.

Canagel

The only reason he gets overlooked is because he's English. If a foreign gaffer was doing the job Eddie has he would've been offered a top job by now.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Not as exotic a choice as Poch but he’s had a very similar amount of success, I wouldn’t be opposed to us taking a punt on him.

Going for the big names has clearly not panned out well for us.
Poch to United and Howe to Spurs would be good moves for both

Oldyella

Could be worth a punt imo. We have tried big name previously successful managers and it hasn't worked. Get a younger manager in who plays football the right way. Especially if we restructure and bring in a dof at the same time.

Cliche Guevara

To be honest I’d have him at United. Preferably he’d have an experienced head beside him to handle some of the higher pressure stuff, whether it’s a DoF or assistant manager.

Somebody will take a chance on him and it might work out brilliantly.

Funky Futurista

I'm wondring why people think this, look where are we and where are Bournemouth - Napoli didn't finish that high in the table and look at what Sarri is doing with Chelsea.

I've watched Bournemouth a couple of times and they play good SIMPLE football. All managers have risk, why not.. I've never seen this guy dig out his players.
Napoli actually finished second twice and third once in the 3 years Sarri were their manager, so they did finish pretty high.

Last edited:

Mick321

There's 14 crap teams in the league, 15 if you include us, not a fan of giving someone the Manchester United job because they come "top" of the 14 team shit league. Though if it's a choice between him and Mourinho then Howe every time!

Roboc7

Done a great job at Bournemouth but I thought he left Burnley because his family couldn’t settle up north so I don’t think he is a viable option.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Would have huge reservations especially given how things panned out last time he left Bournemouth. That could well be down to the personal side, but it's not going to change in Manchester.

This is one of those rare cases where it actually is better to miss out on the 'hot young prospect' and let them prove it somewhere else first, imo.

Think he's a wonderful manager, plays good football and I would welcome him with open arms, but only after he's shown an ability to do it somewhere else first.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Done a great job at Bournemouth but I thought he left Burnley because his family couldn’t settle up north so I don’t think he is a viable option.
Burnley are broke though, I'd imagine United would be able to handle that a lot better. We could buy him his own gated community that recreates the south coast in fine detail if we had to. I'm only half joking.

Infestissumam

been a fan of his work for a while, he's done a spectacular job at Bournemouth honestly. Whenever I watch them I come away impressed ... they look like a very well coached team with a modern style of football (not very used to that as a United fan at the moment tbh). I think he's ready for a bigger job, but it'd be too early for a club of Uniteds size. He'll get there though, he just needs time and another step before that.

Poch to United and Howe to Spurs is something that would probably make a ton of sense for everybody involved.

AndyJ1985

After 5 years and 3 painfully dull and tedious managers, I'm very open minded to trying something completely different. I'd not be against Howe at all

AP88

Supports
Man City
His record againat the top six isn’t very good.
Would probably end up being another Moyes with better football.
He’s really nowhere near ready for such a job.
Neither would Guardiola’s be with Bournmouth’s current squad.

He’s the kind of manager you’d want to integrate Greenwood, Gomes, Laird and Chong etc - plus you’d be confident he’d handle young signings infinitely better than Jose.

Big name managers with big name signings hasn’t worked for United - it’s at odds with the club’s identity, and fails as a result. Back to basics with a young, modern manager with an obvious inclination to identify and develop young British talent would serve United well at this point.

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
been a fan of his work for a while, he's done a spectacular job at Bournemouth honestly. Whenever I watch them I come away impressed ... they look like a very well coached team with a modern style of football (not very used to that as a United fan at the moment tbh). I think he's ready for a bigger job, but it'd be too early for a club of Uniteds size. He'll get there though, he just needs time and another step before that.

Poch to United and Howe to Spurs is something that would probably make a ton of sense for everybody involved.
Not everybody :D

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
After 5 years and 3 painfully dull and tedious managers, I'm very open minded to trying something completely different. I'd not be against Howe at all
Same. Even Jose didn't work out, there's no such thing as a sure thing anymore. Just tear the whole thing down and rebuild.

AP88

Supports
Man City
For one of the biggest jobs in the world, and the salary that goes with it, I think they’d settle just fine....

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
It wasn't so much as not settling as the sudden death of his mother. She raised him and his four siblings alone and the bond between them all was incredibly close and he felt he needed to be there for his brothers and sisters when she died and struggled that he couldn't be which caused the issue. So he took the decision to take a step back in his career so he could be there for his family. I've always found that an admirable stance but understand not everyone would agree with it.

Now, several years down the line, whether he'd be consider moving further away again I'm not sure. It might be he ends up as a 'southern' manager but speculating on this stuff will only ever be that. It's impossible to say what he would think on the subject now and probably a little unfair to speculate on his family.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is very very good, and should be considered for the top jobs in England, and if I was Ed, he would definitely be on my shortlist for the next manager.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Certainly the best British candidate for the United job, though the competition is hardly fierce. Somewhere like Spurs does seem more likely though.

Revaulx

I agree with what you’re saying and think that all those things SHOULD be more important. But look at Lopetegui at Madrid, and he had even coached some with Spain. Some people are saying it’s just a free for all at Madrid now. Ramos self appointed free kick taker, players simply not listening to manager. The egos these days are unfathomable. Madrid’s current situation and Moyes at united, are largely what I would expect should a huge club appoint a talented manager who has not won much, coached in huge club games or atmospheres, Europe, and does not have the reputation as a hugely admired player to initially keep them in line. They’re instantly fighting against the current regardless.
Well yes, but there were a couple of big worries about Lopetegui. While he did very well with Spain, the Portuguese guys on here have been extremely scathing about his previous record in club management. Also, the way he failed to tell the Spanish FA that he was taking the RM job might indicate a fundamental weakness in his character. Apart from getting homesick for the South Coast while he was in Burnley (which I can understand ;)), I’m not aware of similar flaws in Howe.

Walters_19_MuFc

I would definately like to see Howe given a chance at United. Yes, its a risk, but no one is guaranteed success. We've seen that with other top managers in the past.

I love his style of football, though. That high energy football that so many managers play nowerdays. To top it off, he plays a 442, which most are us are so used to seeing under Sir Alex.

As I said, its a risk, but so would Simeone, Zidane, etc. There's no guarenteed success. Howe knows the league, seems to have the right character and as a bonus, although it doesnt matter to me, is that he's a young British manager doing well, which is a rarity.

BULB

The LA Rams are favourites to win the Super Bowl. Their head coach is 32.

The Glazers might be open to this.

If Howe is a disaster, we just sack him like we did Moyes. The world will go on.

Someone like Zidane is as high a risk as Howe the way I see it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The only reason he gets overlooked is because he's English. If a foreign gaffer was doing the job Eddie has he would've been offered a top job by now.
Completely agree.
People will say that it is only Bournemouth and that he has never won anything and never managed big players etc.

However, that is exactly the point. He has achieved undoubted success at Bournemouth by very astute recruitment and clever tactics and is clearly a very good coach.

But. And it is a very big BUT, Manchester United (IMHO) are a poison chalice and I would hate to see him come here and be broken.

SER19

Well yes, but there were a couple of big worries about Lopetegui. While he did very well with Spain, the Portuguese guys on here have been extremely scathing about his previous record in club management. Also, the way he failed to tell the Spanish FA that he was taking the RM job might indicate a fundamental weakness in his character. Apart from getting homesick for the South Coast while he was in Burnley (which I can understand ;)), I’m not aware of similar flaws in Howe.
Still, with all that said I think it’s way way way too big for him at the moment. It’s a nice idea and sounds like a fresh vibrant start etc. But would almost certainly be disastrous within months.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
There are examples though 3 of those you give were incredibly respected and succesful players. You could also argue that Bordeaux and Dortmund are not the level I’m talkimg about, big clubs I respect but a different beast to united. It shouldn't be the case, but at the biggest clubs esteem and gravitas is important for managing egos. There are very few examples of inexperienced managers excelling at the very top clubs that werent at least closely related as succesful players
There are few examples because big clubs are too risk averse. You can also say there are a lot managers with "winning pedigree" who have failed at big clubs. How many respected and successful players have failed at managing big clubs? Brendan Rodgers was a slip away from winning the title for Liverpool. Allegri went to Milan from midtable Cagliari. Pochettino came from Southampton to Spurs. There are probably a lot more examples. The job being "too big" for Howe is nothing but an appeal to accomplishments fallacy.

My point is the importance placed on managerial pedigree is vastly overstated. I would love to see hard stats on the success rate on managers vs their background but I would bet large sums of money there is no correlation. United are a mid-table team with a manager with a "winning pedigree" who replaced another manager with a similar CV. At this point, the priority to be finding the manager who's style of play fits United, not his CV.

Alabaster Codify7

Bournemouth are potentially my second team at the moment, good to watch and doing really well. Howe's really good but he can't organise a defence very well and I just get the feeling he'd bomb at a big club, having to adopt a completely different mindset and start managing huge egos etc. Maybe in 5yrs.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
More than deserved praise and I agree he should be looked into a top 6 club. By the way there is another English manager who sooner or later will need to be carefully looked. Graham Potter from Swansea.