So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Neither would Guardiola’s be with Bournmouth’s current squad.

He’s the kind of manager you’d want to integrate Greenwood, Gomes, Laird and Chong etc - plus you’d be confident he’d handle young signings infinitely better than Jose.

Big name managers with big name signings hasn’t worked for United - it’s at odds with the club’s identity, and fails as a result. Back to basics with a young, modern manager with an obvious inclination to identify and develop young British talent would serve United well at this point.
Kinda like how Dortmund are doing, playing exciting football with young, fantastic players.

Tyrion

What planet are you living on
I'm not saying those clubs are bigger than United. I'm saying United is too big a step up from Bournemouth for him to not instantly come under pressure if he was made manager of United. If he'd been successful at one of the club's I mentioned, then he would be a more appealing candidate.

baskinginthesun

http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-...-against-foreign-domination-in-premier-league

The focus is Eddie Howe but, it does mention the other English managers in the league.

Seems to me that Howe is light years ahead of every other English manager mentioned in the piece. It probably helps that Hodgson and Warnock are his comparisons. Either way, what he has done with Bournemouth shouldn't be ignored.

The question I have for him is, would he be interested in a bigger club to manage? Maybe he enjoys working with Bournemouth and doesn't want to move on.

James Peril

What about Spurs? If Poch goes to Madrid obviously.
Spurs will most likely go for Howe when Poch leaves, it’s obvious and natural. United wouldn’t as he doesn’t have the proven charisma to handle bigger things/players. Sure Spurs have just as many, but none of them play for an elite club, big difference. United are about politics just as much as football, Howe is probably too young to handle all that crap.

tomaldinho1

He plays the type of football we want to see and does so with a vastly inferior budget and club infrastructure. That for me is the most important thing when we do select our next manager, how they want the team to play not what they've won.

Apokalips

Neither would Guardiola’s be with Bournmouth’s current squad.

He’s the kind of manager you’d want to integrate Greenwood, Gomes, Laird and Chong etc - plus you’d be confident he’d handle young signings infinitely better than Jose.

Big name managers with big name signings hasn’t worked for United - it’s at odds with the club’s identity, and fails as a result. Back to basics with a young, modern manager with an obvious inclination to identify and develop young British talent would serve United well at this point.
I never understand this logic that "big name signings don't work here". There are so many different individual factors in such things. It's a bit like saying "I've dated two blonde girls and it didn't work out either time, so I don't date blondes anymore".

Roboc7

I don’t think he would be considered, I would still expect us to offer job to Zidane or Conte, maybe try for Poch.

Personally don’t see harm in his name being in the equation,we should investigate and be open to different options when Mourinho does go.

Comparisons with Moyes are unfair, the problem with Moyes was he thought he had managed a big club and all he had to do was what he did at Everton.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Expecting this thread to get very busy in a couple of hours.

Whatever happens, I don't think he has any chance of the United job from Bournemouth. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a next level job sooner rather than later (Poch replacement?) then a bigger job after that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I say we should be looking at this type of appointment rather than a Zidane. Someone on the way up who is likely to stay for a long time, rather than another short term appointment. Give Howe the time to build his own team.

Skills

Snitch
I say we should be looking at this type of appointment rather than a Zidane. Someone on the way up who is likely to stay for a long time, rather than another short term appointment. Give Howe the time to build his own team.
That is absolutely the wrong way to look at it. It's what got us into the Moyes mess.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
That is absolutely the wrong way to look at it. It's what got us into the Moyes mess.
What got us into the Moyes mess was hiring a manager that wasn't good enough. There's nothing wrong with planning for a long term appointment, even though that's unlikely these days.

Andrew~

I think he's brilliant, seems like he has real passion for coaching (he's taken a lot of young players and coached them into very good Prem players). But I can only echo what other people said, he would be worth getting if United had a settled Director of Football/General Manager role in the club, so as is stands, stay well clear.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think that was more to do with Moyes being a charisma vacuum with all the managerial ability of a mouldy sock.

I don’t think him and Howe are comparable at all really.

Howe is an exciting young manager who plays good football and has a passion for being a manager.

You can’t plan for any manager to be in charge for 5-10 years. The big issue was giving Moyes a 6 year contract, which was truly astonishing - and the idiot thought he is was acceptable to deliver poor performances in the hope he would get it right in the years to come.

The biggest question mark around managers like Howe would be how they deal with superstar players and all of their off the field distractions. It’s proving difficult for someone like Jose who has had 15 years as massive clubs.

The stock of managers can go up and down so quickly, but if he continues to do well at Bournemouth when we next need a manager, he should be in with a shout.

Minimalist

Clearly a good manager when you see the players he’s working with and then the football they play. Getting the absolute most out of them.

M16Red

I'm wondring why people think this, look where are we and where are Bournemouth - Napoli didn't finish that high in the table and look at what Sarri is doing with Chelsea.

I've watched Bournemouth a couple of times and they play good SIMPLE football. All managers have risk, why not.. I've never seen this guy dig out his players.
Bumped..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sign him up...Asap before we miss our chance and he goes to another big side. Can see Spurs snagging him if Pochettino leaves or something like that.

Greck

Not impressed. He inherited a better team and has won nothing

You really needed white text?

FujiVice

If Howe was to take over the United job, comparing him to Moyes is ridiculous. This is not the Man United Moyes took over. We're mid-table!

Cloud7

I don't care how many titles Mourinho has won in the past, Bournemouth today have looked more fluent going forward than we have in all of Mourinho's time here. Of course, Howe did inherit a better side than Mourinho and has spent about 300 million more, so there is that.

Canagel

Oh yes please. I would love Eddie Howe as our manager. Imagine what he could do with some of our talents.

Raw

I'm kinda open to it but there's so much risk. The jump from Bournemouth to Man United is colossal and I'm not sure if he could handle it. Especially when it comes to coaching all the egos in the squad.

I do admire his style of play though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nothing special. One of quite a few PL managers who are better than the current iteration of Mourinho.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It would always be a big risk as you simply don't know how he'd make the step up.

What you do know though is that he would at least try to play the sort of football we want. Which just on its own makes comparisons with Moyes rather stupid as he was never this progressive.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Only with an established DOF can you take a chance on an Eddie Howe. Still feel United is too much for him at this stage of his career. Wish Southampton would pry him away, that'll be another step in the ladder.

singhters

NO, no player is going to want to play for eddie howe players will think he's a joke.

Minimalist

It would always be a big risk as you simply don't know how he'd make the step up.

What you do know though is that he would at least try to play the sort of football we want. Which just on its own makes comparisons with Moyes rather stupid.
Yeah I think people forget that Moyes played (more often than not) shit on a stick football with Everton. The signs were there.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
A training cone would do a better job than Jose. Bar needs to be higher.

Like Howe a lot but let's see him do it at a bigger club. He's left Bournemouth before and not been able to replicate it.