So Mike Dean

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I know talking about the referee is pointless when at the end of the day we won convincingly but I wanted what y'all thought of some incidents in the game
1)Penalty for United: did Rooney dive or was the contact enough to deserve a penalty?
2)Penalty for Pompey: was it harsh or was Vidic doing something stupid pulling a shirt ?

I don't mean this to bash nor to praise the referee, I'm just not sure of certain things and I'd like some thoughts

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
have you lost the plot ? vidic one was never a pen...we had a hard time finding out why a pen was given in the first place ffs

botond

both very harsh penalties , especially the rooney's

Amir

Rooney was stepped on. It was a clear penalty.

As for Vidic, to be fair to the referee - he hasn't seen it, he was told by his assistant, and unless he's seen something totally different, he's always going to back him up. Was it a penalty? Aside from the fact those things happen all the time in free kick situations, I thought both players were guilty of holding each other.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Rooney's foot was trodden on, I don't see how some people can't see this.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I have no idea how theirs was given, if that's a penalty then we should see about 8 penalties a match. Now isn't the time to decide to crack down on something, if they are suddenly going to give pens for that it should be clarified in off season and done from game week 1.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well in addition to the point I made above I also don't understand how the lino actually saw it; from the replays it looked as though his view was blocked. Feckin weird at any rate.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He took the ball then had his foot stood on which as he was trying to it run put him down, I don't see any argument with Rooney's.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A friend of mine said Rooney went down too easily whereas I kinda thought the contact was there.It got me thinking
Michael Brown went in from behind always risky in the penalty area.

You have to ask yourself if that had been outside the box would it be a foul? We were unanimous that it would have been.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Because refs don't do their job.
That's the point though, they see it going on and don't act on it. To suddenly decide now that a penalty will be awarded for it when before it's ignored isn't right.

If they want to clamp down on shirt pulling then fine but they should make it clear that it's going to happen and be consistent with it, not just decide in the middle of the 13th game of the season to change their MO.

p_ps_sock

Vidic's was a penalty, the problem is we need consistency. Terry does that and far worse everytime he's near a player in the penalty area but they never get given (on valencia the other week for example), we've had attackers do more than that to our defenders (drogba on brown the other week) and we didn't get a free kick.

All's we're asking for is consistency, if we get it then the ref's will get some respect, until then they can feck right off and put up with the flak they get.

Sonny Feehan

If Vidic's was a justified penalty then why don't we see them given more often? i.e ever.
All managers seem most concerned about consistency in refereeing decisions. If todays decision is a new benchmark then there would have to be a penalty after almost every corner or free-kick and players would be falling down at the slightest tug on the shirt. Until today Refs seem to have been exercising discretion based on how much the shirt pull affected the forward's efforts but todays decision which not even Portsmouth players seemed to expect could open a whole new can of worms.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
All managers seem most concerned about consistency in refereeing decisions. If todays decision is a new benchmark then there would have to be a penalty after almost every corner or free-kick and players would be falling down at the slightest tug on the shirt. Until today Refs seem to have been exercising discretion based on how much the shirt pull affected the forward's efforts but todays decision which not even Portsmouth players seemed to expect could open a whole new can of worms.
Totally agree, but if it was done right it could eradicate the practice from the game. I don't have an issue with them trying to crack down on something, but they have to do it right.

Like you say, consistency is the key.

AttackingFlair

Rooney's one was a pen.

The one against Vidic - well he was pulling the shirt but then how many penalties would there be?

redpie

I hope they do clamp down on the shirt-tugging and holding in the penalty box because most of United's rivals have players who are better at getting away with it.
Terry, Carvalho and Carragher have made a career out of it.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Because refs don't do their job.
true. However, I agree with nick. I've no idea how the linesman saw it. His view was surely obscured. I can't stand linesman. They're worse for turning a blind eye. Normally.

CR#7

Terry always fecking holds whoever he is marking by the shirt and its never bloody called

CantonasWife

Queen B
Rooneys penalty wasn't a question for me, he's being properly stamped on the foot, and the ref was standing right there to spot that. The second one (Vidic shirt-pulling) is not a penalty.. if that's a penalty you'd have 10 each game. The last one (Giggsy) was a soft one as well.

B Cantona

Desperate
Both penalties. Ref was good today.
Bollocks!

I thought the Rooney one was kind. Was a foul, but I think the vast majority of refs let that go. I think the reaction told the ref, who was very quick to give it, it was relatively soft

So the officials didn't take very long in evening it up. Ridiculous decision to give them a penalty. You never get that in a million years if he hasn't already given one to the opposition. Both had hold of each other, neither particularly impeded. You could give a pen everytime the ball goes in the box if you wanted

Don't think there was too much doubt about the 3rd pen, cleaned Giggs out

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Totally agree, but if it was done right it could eradicate the practice from the game. I don't have an issue with them trying to crack down on something, but they have to do it right.

Like you say, consistency is the key.
Yes. I agree that something should be done but it needs clarifying first, and all refs must agree to implement it. Giggs was also pushed in the back for the last one we didn't get - you could see Giggs laughing that he knew there was no way the ref would dare give United a third pen.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Vidic has given away a penalty for shirt pulling before so there is some sort of a precedent there. But like many have said it's a bit annoying seeing as it's a crime that goes generally unpunished.

Denis' cuff

appalling decision to give them that pen - their players were protesting because they thought we were given a free kick cos PIG had been impeded. Not one of them imagined in their wildest dreams it was a pen for them. It took a very determined linesman to give a pen to them because the ref certainly didn't look convinced. I'd guess that's why Scholsie kept pointing at the ref probably saying "you're the ref, not him". As has been said before, if you're giving a decisionlike that, you've got to be giving 6 or 7 per game.

As for ours, no argument against either although I've probably seen worse turned down or maybe we've just got used to that

F-Red

I thought Portsmouths penalty & Giggs' one was a bit dubious. Can't argue with the Rooney one, clearly challenged & the Portsmouth defender didn't get anywhere near the ball.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Rooney's tecnically a penalty, but I don't like to see them given when someone goes down as easily as that.

Vidic's a definite pen, as said earlier one would just like to see it being consistently applied. There wouldn't be 6 or 7 a game then.

Denis' cuff

Rooney's tecnically a penalty, but I don't like to see them given when someone goes down as easily as that.

Vidic's a definite pen, as said earlier one would just like to see it being consistently applied. There wouldn't be 6 or 7 a game then.
so yet again, United become the test case? Do we start with an award against United to herald a new clamp-down. I don't think so and I doubt you'll see another all season like that. If it were to be applied consistently I'd happily go along with it - but it won't

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
so yet again, United become the test case? Do we start with an award against United to herald a new clamp-down. I don't think so and I doubt you'll see another all season like that. If it were to be applied consistently I'd happily go along with it - but it won't
You're quite right, we shouldn't be made an example of because of who we are, we've seen enough of that. Consistency is indeed the word - you'll find it in my post.