So who is up for another winter World Cup? | It's actually autumn | When does winter start?

CallyRed

Anyway on the more important point of another Winter World Cup, I am in 2 minds about it

Initially I was dead set against the move to a Winter World Cup due to the disruption to the usual club calendar - in the end it has been a nice bonus at what is traditionally one of the more depressing times of the year as it gets dark/cold

Plus I do like to see the World Cup in different part of the world and there are some places which cant host in June/July due to the heat, I remember England wilting in the summer heat out in Japan '02 and no doubt it is going to be absolutely roasting at some venues in 2026
That's kind of how I feel.
When it's been held in June/July, I'm usually on holiday and end up missing most of the football. This time I booked time off and enjoyed actually just plonking myself in front of the TV and getting to watch nearly all the games.

Ibragol

Supports
Milan
Having a world cup in winter has been great. I don't really see the problem having it now. Sure, you can't stay outside in a park and watch it on big screen, but you can be in a bar where the atmosphere also is great. At this time of the year it gets completely dark at 15.30 in my country and this world cup has lighten up this period for a lot of people. I also think it's fair to the southern hemisphere to once have a world cup in their summer. I've also been able to watch more matches this tournament than previous, because in the summer there are usually many things going on.

Roane

It's been brilliant. Something to watch on cold, dark winter (or autumn ) nights.

As for players and tiredness have the players involved played less or more games overall? I mean compared to the normal football calender in say the EPL.

Abizzz

That would mean every 10th World Cup should be played in November-December. No?
I think that would be fair. We had 2 in the southern hemisphere in the past 12 years though.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Summer time( June-July) is the best time for the World Cup. Back to basic is the best( World Cup in June/July, and Christmas/league games in December).

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yes I do but the games are later in summer world cups generally with afternoon to evening and the last game is later than 7pm
I don’t think that has anything to do with the season tbh. It depends where the host country is. The games in 2002 were in the morning / early afternoon.

Shai-Hulud

More relevant than actual science and the tilt of the earth's axis? Okay.
Implying meterology isn't a science? Read below.

Its relevance is irrelevant for this debate.

Do a Google search, it'll come up in big letters as the 21st December. When we talk about the seasons changing, it's always based on vernal equinox, summer solstice, autumnal equinox and winter solstice.
It's relevance is very much relevant. Read below.

Winter starts December 21 and ends March 23... It's actually defined as such
Astronomical seasons have been observed for a very long time and may be what you’re familiar with in countries like the UK. In my country, we have never much cared about the astronomical seasons. The only importance December 21/22 holds to me is that it's the date where instead of the days getting darker, they start getting brighter again. The astronomical seasons are determined by the two solstices one in winter (December 21/22) and one in summer and two equinoxes one in the fall and spring. This is based on the rotation of the earth around the sun and the tilt of the earth. Because Earth actually travels around the sun in 365.24 days, an extra day is needed every fourth year, creating what we know as Leap Year. This also causes the exact date of the solstices and equinoxes to vary. The elliptical shape of Earth’s orbit around the sun causes the lengths of the astronomical seasons to vary between 89 and 93 days. These variations in season length and season start would make it difficult to compare climatological statistics for a particular season from one year to the next with consistency.

The meterological winter starts on December 1st. Meteorological winter in the Northern Hemisphere includes December, January, and February. Spring includes March, April, and May; summer includes June, July, and August; fall includes September, October, and November. Why do meteorological and astronomical seasons begin and end at different times? Because the meteorological seasons are based on the annual temperature cycle. Meteorological observing and forecasting led to the creation of the meterological seasons, and they are more closely tied to our monthly civil calendar than the astronomical seasons are. The length of the meteorological seasons is also more consistent, ranging from 90 days for winter of a non-leap year to 92 days for spring and summer. By following the civil calendar and having less variation in season length and season start, it becomes much easier to calculate seasonal statistics from the monthly statistics, both of which are very useful for agriculture, commerce, etc.

The meterological season captures the temperature trends better than the astronomical timing does. The astronomical dates do not necessarily line up with seasonal weather and climate. Also, they don't synchronze with how records are kept of weather conditions throughout the year. It's not like the winter weather waits for December 21 to start. It's usually cold weeks before that. Hopefully you will agree that what's more relevant for the scheduling of a world cup in Qatar is the actual temperatures. They didn't move it from summer to winter to get closer to the magical date of exactly Dec 21st. They did it to play in bearable temperatures. Seeing as temperatures were the reason for the scheduling of this WC, and given the fact that the meterological seasons capture the temperature trends better than the astronomical seasons do, we should refer to it as a winter WC.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are you all still in school with two months long summer vacations? Aside from the club season, I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with summer / winter?

Bogga

Are you all still in school with two months long summer vacations? Aside from the club season, I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with summer / winter?
Try living further north for a while and you'll get it...

Bole Top

summer in my country is simply ruthless, you get the feeling it's heatwave after heatwave with 38-40C temperatures every other day in july and with very little rain. it's been much easier watching games outside in the last couple of weeks than during those unbearable hot days. I love international tournaments during the summer, but this was even better. easily.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Don't mind it as a one-off, but it would have been better if it had been played out in a few other countries in the region instead of one city and also should have been January as that is a depressing month which would have been boosted by a World Cup.

Have a feeling we will struggle against Burnley on Wednesday as well, which will then change my opinion.

Does autumn even exit in Manchester btw? Seems to go from warm to freezing every year with no in-between.

Oluwaplumpie

It's the World's Cup. It belongs to the world. Not to Europe. Get over yourselves, those of us who refused to watch because of the time of year.

Reactions: 711

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I care less about what time zone it's in rather than the season, given where I live now barely has discernible seasons.

The US world cup is going a second one in a row that's shite for Asia, where 60% of the world population lives.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I care less about what time zone it's in rather than the season, given where I live now barely has discernible seasons.

The US world cup is going a second one in a row that's shite for Asia, where 60% of the world population lives.
You mean the one in Qatar was also shite for Asia? It’s in fecking Asia.

Devil81

I've watched all the games at home, that wouldn't have been the case in the summer.

So it's a no from me.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You mean the one in Qatar was also shite for Asia? It’s in fecking Asia.
I knew someone would say that, but Qatar has about as much in common culturally with SE Asia as it does Europe and it's even further away from here.
Have a WC in Australia for a change or China.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yes I do but the games are later in summer world cups generally with afternoon to evening and the last game is later than 7pm
Well you're gonna hate the next one if you're in Europe because some games will be 2-3 AM kick offs

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is one of the things I've actually changed my mind on after this tournament.

It's all well and good me saying its better for me if the tournament is in the summer... But if it means other counties can host the World Cup, if its better for other nations that its in the winter every now and then, then fair enough.

Abizzz

It's the World's Cup. It belongs to the world. Not to Europe. Get over yourselves, those of us who refused to watch because of the time of year.
So I take it you also think MLB (Major League Baseball) belongs to the world?

In my opinion it doesn't belong to anyone. Which makes it especially galling when a few greedy men sell it to other cruel men so that they can appear as something they aren't.

Last edited:

LoneStar

This.

It’s a Summer tournament. And stop giving it to shithead countries also.

Give it to footballing countries with sound(ish) politics who’ve actually given something to the game.
If you restrict it to countries who have given something to the game, it will always be a Europe centric sport. Surely it'd be nice to have World Cups in all parts of the world? Africa, Asia, Australia, US would all be nice places to host them.

Abizzz

If you restrict it to countries who have given something to the game, it will always be a Europe centric sport. Surely it'd be nice to have World Cups in all parts of the world? Africa, Asia, Australia, US would all be nice places to host them.
Why not have one in the antarctic? It's a world cup ffs. (and would not be a lot sillier than having one in the desert).

LoneStar

Why not have one in the antarctic? It's a world cup ffs. (and not a lot sillier than having one in the desert).
It's literally called World Cup, not European or Whites cup ffs. Nothing wrong with being played globally, not restricted to a handful of countries.

Abizzz

It's literally called World Cup, not European or Whites cup ffs. Nothing wrong with being played globally, not restricted to a handful of countries.
Oh feck off with your "white cup" accusations.

I don't mind it being played in Nigeria, didn't mind it in South Africa, would be alright with it being played in Morocco or Algeria (given them hosting it in a good way). I wouldn't be alright with it being played in places that have contributed absolutely nothing to the world of football in it's ~140 years of existence (the game). Countries that have never even attempted properly to qualify, or countries where people just don't care for the sport.

But keep calling everyone racists if you don't know how else to defend your viewpoint. Irrespective of who you're talking about or to. It's a marvelous argument to make.

It's called world cup because it establishes the best national team, not because every person on earth is allowed to participate regardless of their interest or skills in it.

The really funny thing is bullshit like this years WC will keep deserving countries like Uruguay from ever hosting it again.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
That's like saying Brazil is in North America, Qatar is in the middle east mot Asia
Oh feck off with your "white cup" accusations.

I don't mind it being played in Nigeria, didn't mind it in South Africa, would be alright with it being played in Morocco or Algeria (given them hosting it in a good way). I wouldn't be alright with it being played in places that have contributed absolutely nothing to the world of football in it's ~140 years of existence (the game). Countries that have never even attempted properly to qualify, or countries where people just don't care for the sport.

But keep calling everyone racists if you don't know how else to defend your viewpoint. Irrespective of who you're talking about or to. It's a marvelous argument to make.

It's called world cup because it establishes the best national team, not because every person on earth is allowed to participate regardless of their interest or skills in it.

The really funny thing is bullshit like this years WC will keep deserving countries like Uruguay from ever hosting it again.
You do realize that one of the remits of FIFA is to spread and enable football to everyone, that means taking it to places that don't necessarily have a tradition of the game, it also establishes the best national team, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with where it's held

Hosting it in places like Qatar might actually enable change, who knows?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Stop with the racial stuff.

I'm not even european, and idc about the WC being played in the winter(June-July).

Here in Chile kids are still in school these days, so it doesn't matter if the WC is played in Summer/Winter anyways, and here they don't give vacations just because it's December, most work until 23 December, which means many people are missing the WC despite being in chilean summer.

I rather have the mid year WC as usual, i want players to be rested not playing knackered in the middle of a season, without even having a 2 weeks rest before the WC start.

Many knackered players in this WC.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not bothered either way, if it means other regions than the usual suspects can host it I'm all for it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Bog off with this utter tripe lad.

There are many instances of institutional and overt racism that permeate through society - and criticising the WC bring held in the middle of the domestic seasons for all the best players isn’t one of them.

The last 6 WCs have been held in - Brazil, Japan / Korea, South Africa, Germany, Russia and now Qatar…

That’s one European host in 24 years ffs.

Despite how much European countries continue to give to football and how well set up they are to host the WC.

You do realize that one of the remits of FIFA is to spread and enable football to everyone, that means taking it to places that don't necessarily have a tradition of the game, it also establishes the best national team, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with where it's held

Hosting it in places like Qatar might actually enable change, who knows?
Strange then for them to give it to a country that has no rights for gay people and where women are treated like children and then ban anyone from mentioning it… doubt much change will happen that way.

Fifa is an outrageously corrupt institution (ran by rich EUROPEAN OLD MEN…), they don’t give a feck about ‘forwarding football’. All they care about is their own grift.

They’re the colonial minded ones in all this!