Social Media Justice: A "Karen" faces consequences for threatening a Black man with cops

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I dont know to be honest. Unless he's the one instigating it it wont come to that.

But in the event it comes to that, i dont know to be honest but if I live to tell you're probably dead.
Yeah its crazy isn't it... drawing a gun turns an argument into a life and death situation... thats why I personally don't see it was justified and clearly the police took the same view

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
As far as I know a German police officer, an official with years of weapons training, is only allowed to unholster their gun after other measures have failed and the situation allows for them to actually shoot it. With that in mind it feels really surreal to read about people just accepting it as reasonable behavior to aim a gun at another person's head over some parking lot shouting and perhaps a bit of scratched paint.
Just imagine if both parties followed that logic. You'd have Mexican standoffs over nothing every other day.
But that's what makes America so great.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Isn’t it the same with a tyre wrench, baseball bat, lead pipe or golf club?

It looked like she was just trying to get the black folks to back away so they (the white couple) could leave. It’s not clear to me what started this argument as all I saw was the end of it, in the video I saw on the Independent yesterday.
No. I know with all of the above I can easily walk or run out of the way of them. A gun I can run out of the way of the range of a bat but the person could still shoot me. Heck, i can be two or three cars away and they can still get me. A gun has way more power than any of those weapons and has way more accidental danger attached to them too. If she was nervous and her finger slipped on a bat she might drop it or loosen/tighten her grip slightly. With a gun she can accidentally fire. They’re far more dangerous/powerful.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah its crazy isn't it... drawing a gun turns an argument into a life and death situation... thats why I personally don't see it was justified and clearly the police took the same view
There is one thing that tells you that it was a bad idea, the woman with the gun is angry and unhinged when she holds her firearm. It's something that many people in this thread seem to be missing, you are not supposed to handle a deadly weapon when you are angry or frightened that's when you make mistakes, that's why security professionals are supposed to be vetted, they are supposed to be extremely calm people who are able to handle stressful situations with composure.

That video should be shown to anyone defending the right for civilians to carry a deadly weapon, it's a bad idea.

MadMike

Tbh if you don't go around with an intercontinental nuclear missile in your boot, can you even diffuse a parking lot argument?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There is one thing that tells you that it was a bad idea, the woman with the gun is angry and unhinged when she holds her firearm. It's something that many people in this thread seem to be missing, you are not supposed to handle a deadly weapon when you are angry or frightened that's when you make mistakes, that's why security professionals are supposed to be vetted, they are supposed to be extremely calm people who are able to handle stressful situations with composure.

That video should be shown to anyone defending the right for civilians to carry a deadly weapon, it's a bad idea.
And it's not just about the holder of the gun. You have no idea how the other side will react to a deadly threat. In this case it "worked" and she backed off, but another person might have had some fight or flight moment that made them go for the gun.

JPRouve

Scout
And it's not just about the holder of the gun. You have no idea how the other side will react to a deadly threat. In this case it "worked" and she backed off, but another person might have had some fight or flight moment that made them go for the gun.
In this case the other side was made of lunatics who had for only goal to escalate things, unfortunately the couple fell for it. But what you say applies to the other couple that drew guns at a crowd, they don't know how the crowd is going to react, they don't know who in that crowd is maybe carrying a gun and at some point, the wife was between her husband and the crowd which means that he was useless unless he was willing to take the risk to shoot his wife while targetting the crowd.

That's an other example of people not fit to carry firearms, they don't think before brandishing them, it is not controlled but emotive reactions.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I can't imagine how the guy felt. Losing his jobs over this.
Probably pretty bad - though if they hadn't drawn weapons then he would still have a job so hopefully upon reflection he factors that into his thinking.
Not sure what the employment law is in the states regarding this but generally speaking I think something that brings the company by association into disrepute can be seen as cause for dismissal - again it has been investigated by the authorities where they feel he acted in an inappropriate way and it is very much in the public domain
If one of my employees had been flimed waving a gun around or even a knife or tyre iron in a manner that had been found to be unjustified I'm not sure I would want to send them in the next day to represent me and my other colleagues with clients

AFC NimbleThumb

Thank god some semblance of common sense has returned to this thread. There’s a reason arrests & charges have been made in a gun carrying state.

Moving on. Wakey Wakey @Dante ; still waiting for a response on your attempts at gaslighting this conversation.

Not standing for this sh*t even if it is ‘only’ an internet forum; you made the comment below. . .

The white woman was trying to get away and only escalated after the black mother hit her car.
I asked what their race had to do with it & you then made the below statements. . .

What has their gender got to do with anything? You seem to be hinting that they're hysterical or overly emotional. But OK.
:nono:

Where do I mention their gender in relation to their emotions?

You seem to be hinting’ doesn’t cut it, I’ve not made any comments in that direction & you’ve only bought this up once I questioned you on why race was relevant.

I’ve called them idiots, mentalists [and probably many other things] but I’m curious as to how these are sexist descriptives or being used as such. Basically what the hell are you on about?
I'll drop the matter of your racism/misogyny for sake of keeping this civil.

Are the descriptors, woman & mother misogynistic now? I’ve actually taken the time to call Jillian [the gun totter] by her name in instances so let’s not drop it.

You can be civil & shed light. If I’ve been a misogynistic &/or racist in the thread neither are my intention so I’d like to learn from whatever it is otherwise this is blatant gaslighting which is pathetic.

I think labelling peoples posts as racist & misogynistic are serious even if it is ‘only’ an internet forum. Racism is a bannable offence so don’t take being accused of it lightly.

Can anyone recommend a mod I can contact to review my posts related to this for both?

Drainy

Probably pretty bad - though if they hadn't drawn weapons then he would still have a job so hopefully upon reflection he factors that into his thinking.
Not sure what the employment law is in the states regarding this but generally speaking I think something that brings the company by association into disrepute can be seen as cause for dismissal - again it has been investigated by the authorities where they feel he acted in an inappropriate way and it is very much in the public domain
If one of my employees had been flimed waving a gun around or even a knife or tyre iron in a manner that had been found to be unjustified I'm not sure I would want to send them in the next day to represent me and my other colleagues with clients
A lot of states have at will employment so you can be fired without cause

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Thank god some semblance of common sense has returned to this thread. There’s a reason arrests & charges have been made in a gun carrying state.

Moving on. Wakey Wakey @Dante ; still waiting for a response on your attempts at gaslighting this conversation.

Not standing for this sh*t even if it is ‘only’ an internet forum; you made the comment below. . .

I asked what their race had to do with it & you then made the below statements. . .

Where do I mention their gender in relation to their emotions?

You seem to be hinting’ doesn’t cut it, I’ve not made any comments in that direction & you’ve only bought this up once I questioned you on why race was relevant.

I’ve called them idiots, mentalists [and probably many other things] but I’m curious as to how these are sexist descriptives or being used as such. Basically what the hell are you on about?

Are the descriptors, woman & mother misogynistic now? I’ve actually taken the time to call Jillian [the gun totter] by her name in instances so let’s not drop it.

You can be civil & shed light. If I’ve been a misogynistic &/or racist in the thread neither are my intention so I’d like to learn from whatever it is otherwise this is blatant gaslighting which is pathetic.

I think labelling peoples posts as racist & misogynistic are serious even if it is ‘only’ an internet forum. Racism is a bannable offence so don’t take being accused of it lightly.

Can anyone recommend a mod I can contact to review my posts related to this for both?
Why don't you take this to pm, I understand the need you feel but sometimes you can make more progress in private.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
A lot of states have at will employment so you can be fired without cause
In this case the University conformed they have seen the video and I think if i were in the university shoes Id have made the same decision

Oakland University in Michigan said on Thursday that it had fired Mr. Wuestenberg. He had been listed on the university’s website as a coordinator of veterans support services.

“We have seen the video and we deem his behavior unacceptable,” a university spokesman said in a statement. “The employee has been notified that his employment has been terminated by the university.”

AFC NimbleThumb

Why don't you take this to pm, I understand the need you feel but sometimes you can make more progress in private.
It would be progressive in private if the accusation wasn’t made in public. I’ve re-read my posts on this & he’s simply tried to subvert the discussion because he was asked an uneasy question.

In the Current Events things can go off in a direction we don’t ideally want at times so I’ve PMd people & vice-versa but don’t enter these discussions in bad faith. A difference of opinion is expected but don’t fabricate.

I’ve seen his posts around the forums & he seems sound mostly but I’d expect better in here.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The University

He did nothing wrong, it wasn't even him with the gun, he calmly get in his car and called the cops.
hes been charged hasnt he?

Bouchard said both Wuestenbergs were holding loaded guns and both had legal Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPLs) when police arrived.
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/oa...ter-gun-is-pulled-during-parking-lot-argument

In an afternoon news conference, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said the suspects, who were arrested at the eatery, each had legal handguns and concealed pistol licenses.

The charges, he added, stem from using their guns to threaten the victims.

Bouchard said the sheriff's detectives investigating the case were "presented with two very different stories from two different groups, with both sides claiming they felt extremely threatened."

No gunshots were fired, there were no injuries and, the sheriff added, had the couple not drawn their weapons on unarmed victims, they would not have been facing felony assault charges.
https://eu.freep.com/story/news/loc...chipotle-parking-lot-gun-incident/5366368002/

Sounds like he did more than sit in the car and call the police to me

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If you think the man got what he deserves, then let's jsut agree to disagree
back up - you just said he sat calmly in the car... the police say he pulled his gun and threatened people
surely you can see you argument has just completely been undermined and on that basis (that he threatened unarmed people with a loaded gun) dont you wish to revisit your claim that he didn't draw a gun and sat calmly in the car

Drainy

In this case the University conformed they have seen the video and I think if i were in the university shoes Id have made the same decision
Yeah I agree. Was just saying that in a lot of states they don't even need that to get rid.

They had cause to sack him too. They were both guilty of assault by pulling a weapon out and pointing it at someone unless there was an imminent physical threat. Which I don't think there was, is was just someone being an utter prick for no good reason by the sounds of it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Her eyes are breathtakingly spooky, so unhinged.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
No. I know with all of the above I can easily walk or run out of the way of them. A gun I can run out of the way of the range of a bat but the person could still shoot me. Heck, i can be two or three cars away and they can still get me. A gun has way more power than any of those weapons and has way more accidental danger attached to them too. If she was nervous and her finger slipped on a bat she might drop it or loosen/tighten her grip slightly. With a gun she can accidentally fire. They’re far more dangerous/powerful.
Was the safety even off?
Anyway, the point was that there are many 'weapons' in cars that are there for self defence. She happened to gave a gun; one guy I know has a tyre wrench just for such situations.
Could he kill someone with that? Of course he could, it'd smash someone's skull. The point is to have something, to get the other irrational person to back off so you can make an exit without any physical violence.

MadMike

Basically employees have next to no rights and employers can get rid of them without having to justify it.
Jesus, ok thanks for explaining. Can employees take employers to tribunals on grounds of unfair dismissal then? How does that work if the employers don't even need to provide a reason for sacking? How are people protected against discrimination, or victimisation?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Jesus, ok thanks for explaining. Can employees take employers to tribunals on grounds of unfair dismissal then? How does that work if the employers don't even need to provide a reason for sacking? How are people protected against discrimination, or victimisation?
That's the only exception, they can't be dismissed for illegal reasons such as sexism or racism etc. But there doesn't need to be any justification in terms of job performance or disciplinary action etc.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

MadMike

Was the safety even off?
Anyway, the point was that there are many 'weapons' in cars that are there for self defence. She happened to gave a gun; one guy I know has a tyre wrench just for such situations.
Could he kill someone with that? Of course he could, it'd smash someone's skull. The point is to have something, to get the other irrational person to back off so you can make an exit without any physical violence.
Does that work? Doesn't bringing out weapons increase the chances of escalation, rather than decrease them? Does US have less incidents of physical violence as a result of gun ownership? Because it sure has more shootings as a result of said gun ownership.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Was the safety even off?
They pointed a loaded gun and threatened people ... hence they have been charged
Planning or Threatening a Violent Act
Oklahoma defines planning or threatening a violent act as attempting or conspiring to perform a violent act involving serious bodily harm or death upon another. Okla. Stat. tit. 21 § 1378

Attempting, conspiring, or endeavoring to perform a violent act in Oklahoma is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Merely threatening the same act is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in county jail.

Threatening a violent act is considered a crime against public peace.
A person may publicly or privately threaten a violent act without the intended victim ever knowing about the threat. Threatening a violent act differs from assault, because in assault the victim is directly threatened.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Was the safety even off?
It's probably a Glock (women like them) or other striker fired polymer pistol, which means there is no external safety switch. The action of pulling the trigger disengages an internal safety.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They pointed a loaded gun and threatened people ... hence they have been charged
So would that same law apply to the mother, who threatened to kick their white asses, or is there specifics to the law that doesn't cover verbal threats or something?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So would that same law apply to the mother, who threatened to kick their white asses, or is there specifics to the law that doesn't cover verbal threats or something?
I'm not sure... though I suspect waving a loaded gun in people's face probably constitutes a much higher threat level.

Implication from the police officer is if it had remained verbal they would not have been charged and it was drawing loaded weapons on unarmed people that seems to have made it a violent threat
In an afternoon news conference, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said the suspects, who were arrested at the eatery, each had legal handguns and concealed pistol licenses.

The charges, he added, stem from using their guns to threaten the victims.

Bouchard said the sheriff's detectives investigating the case were "presented with two very different stories from two different groups, with both sides claiming they felt extremely threatened."

No gunshots were fired, there were no injuries and, the sheriff added, had the couple not drawn their weapons on unarmed victims, they would not have been facing felony assault charges.

ivaldo

I'm not sure... though I suspect waving a loaded gun in people's face probably constitutes a much higher threat level.

Implication from the police officer is if it had remained verbal they would not have been charged and it was drawing loaded weapons on unarmed people that seems to have made it a violent threat
That's great. Cheers!

JPRouve

Scout
They are probably accused of brandishing a firearm which can be illegal, I don't know if it's true everywhere. The law generally concerns all deadly/dangerous weapons, so threatening someone with a knife, a machete or even a golf club could see you prosecuted.

ivaldo

They are probably accused of brandishing a firearm which can be illegal, I don't know if it's true everywhere. The law generally concerns all deadly/dangerous weapons, so threatening someone with a knife, a machete or even a golf club could see you prosecuted.
Thanks!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yes, this is correct JP. Most legal codes, even in places where gun control is lax, prohibit you from waving your gun around in a threatening manner.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Comparing a woman yelling at someone to that person pulling a gun on her, not really comparable at all. My fecking god.