Social Media Justice: A "Karen" faces consequences for threatening a Black man with cops

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
American gun culture is so fecking insane but surely the point of allowing people to carry guns is so that they can use them when they fear for their physical safety? Based on the longer video this woman was in a situation which was escalating to a point where it was likely to get violent, then used her gun to exit the situation without hurting anyone. Why is that against the law? Are you only supposed to draw your weapon after someone else has drawn on you? Genuinely curious here. The whole thing is so fecking nuts it’s hard to make sense of any of it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
American gun culture is so fecking insane but surely the point of allowing people to carry guns is so that they can use them when they fear for their physical safety? Based on the longer video this woman was in a situation which was escalating to a point where it was likely to get violent, then used her gun to exit the situation without hurting anyone. Why is that against the law? Are you only supposed to draw your weapon after someone else has drawn on you? Genuinely curious here. The whole thing is so fecking nuts it’s hard to make sense of any of it.
Not really, she went to her car and eventually picked her gun instead of getting to her car and simply leave. She has zero excuse, it was just a shouting contest and there was no reason to draw a gun, she was physically safe while in her car.

People need to think about what happens when she pull that trigger, she would have potentially killed someone for shouting and slamming her car. That's a very stupid reason to go to jail. And firearms are to be used with a clear mind, not when you are afraid or nervous that's an other issue with the gun culture in America and many other places.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not really, she went to her car and eventually picked her gun instead of getting to her car and simply leave. She has zero excuse, it was just a shouting contest and there was no reason to draw a gun, she was physically safe while in her car.

People need to think about what happens when she pull that trigger, she would have potentially killed someone for shouting and slamming her car. That's a very stupid reason to go to jail.
They were trying to get in their car and leave but were blocked in. That was when the confrontation got really heated and potentially violent. I definitely think she shouldn’t have drawn a gun. My personal opinion is that she shouldn’t be allowed to carry a gun.

I’m just curious about why she is legally allowed to carry a gun but apparently not allowed to use it when physically threatened. Is it only ok to draw your gun if the other person also has a gun? If your potential assailant is unarmed do you have to wait until after they’ve already laid hands on you before taking your gun out? As I said, I’m not shit-stirring. Just curious.

JPRouve

Scout
They were trying to get in their car and leave but were blocked in. That was when the confrontation got really heated and potentially violent. I definitely think she shouldn’t have drawn a gun. My personal opinion is that she shouldn’t be allowed to carry a gun.

I’m just curious about why she is legally allowed to carry a gun but apparently not allowed to use it when physically threatened. Is it only ok to draw your gun if the other person also has a gun? If your potential assailant is unarmed do you have to wait until after they’ve already laid hands on you before taking your gun out? As I said, I’m not shit-stirring. Just curious.
They weren't blocked in, the closest car is at least 2 parking places away on the left, they chose to leave the car and confront the women with a gun. And she didn't had a gun during the shouting contest, she picked it later when she was already in a safe place and what she did was brandishing a deadly weapon which is generally illegal even during a fight or quarrel.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They weren't blocked in, the closest car is at least 2 parking places away on the left, they chose to leave the car and confront the women with a gun. And she didn't had a gun during the shouting contest, she picked it later when she was already in a safe place and what she did was brandishing a deadly weapon which is generally illegal even during a fight or quarrel.
They were blocked in by the person standing behind their car when they tried to reverse out. That’s when it all kicked off.

JPRouve

Scout
They were blocked in by the person standing behind their car when they tried to reverse out. That’s when it all kicked off.
They weren't blocked they had room upfront and on the left.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They weren't blocked they had room upfront and on the left.
Yes they were. Feck’s sake. Watch the video. Yes, they could have tried driving out anyway, despite the people they’re arguing with being willing to step in front of their vehicle, but that arguably carried a higher risk of someone getting hurt than pulling the gun.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes they were. Feck’s sake. Watch the video. Yes, they could have tried driving out anyway, despite the people they’re arguing with being willing to step in front of their vehicle, but that arguably carried a higher risk of someone getting hurt than pulling the gun.
I watched the video and that's why I say that they werent blocked, you have the girl at the back and plenty of room upfront and on the left. They chose to not leave and confront them, just look at the video at 1:34, they backed the entire length of the car, at 2:07 you can see where the first car on the left is. They had plenty of room.

AFC NimbleThumb

People need to think about what happens when she pull that trigger, she would have potentially killed someone for shouting and slamming her car. That's a very stupid reason to go to jail. And firearms are to be used with a clear mind, not when you are afraid or nervous that's an other issue with the gun culture in America and many other places.
This./

She enters her car, closing her door & is in no immediate danger. She spends the beginning part of the longer video doing well to hold her nerve; by the time she returns from the car with the gun she’s quite obviously had enough.

Being shouted at is not cause for murder.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
There was an advisory post/thread here a while back.

Off the back of that.... Is there value In threads like these? The last few have been so divisive. All of us discuss situations we often can’t relate to, and have scant detail on. Many times they unravel, with a trail of forum destruction and division in their wake.

All this noise just raises tension and seems to be in direct opposition to the advisory post I mention.

Consider it this way... we have a higher threshold for Transfer rumours, than we do for public shaming and judgement.

I’d like to know what people think, but I’ll be putting all threads like this on the block list from tomorrow on. I know that nobody cares, not looking for any holier than thou halo polishing. I think discussion is needed and overdue though.

AFC NimbleThumb

Another day, another “Karen”. This time it’s ‘the Asians’ that need to go home.

*Lots of stepping in slide 1, I’d recommend heading straight to slide 2.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

She made a good point. Who the feck wears black in California!?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

That’s the one that said things to multiple people on the same day. Glad she was caught.

Dante

Average bang
This./

She enters her car, closing her door & is in no immediate danger. She spends the beginning part of the longer video doing well to hold her nerve; by the time she returns from the car with the gun she’s quite obviously had enough.

Being shouted at is not cause for murder.
There wasn't a murder.

The white woman was trying to get away and only escalated after the black mother hit her car.

I probably would have done the same: stayed calm, ignored the provocations, tried to walk away, and only pushed back if anything got physical. I obviously wouldn't have escalated with a gun, but this was America.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The gun video does show more of an issue with guns than an issue with the gunowner themselves. The fact that she knew that if she got out her gun the power that would have over someone but also the fact that she forgot how much damage that the gun could do if she actually let if off is scary. Also how easy it is to just grab a gun and completely flip situations.

AFC NimbleThumb

There wasn't a murder.
*Insert sarcastic comment agreeing the obvious here*

There’s this habit for people with guns to think it’s like a movie, you point shoot then like some assassin. She pulled her gun & readied it; the reason I mention murder is because if she shoots she kills.

It was an over escalation.
The white woman was trying to get away and only escalated after the black mother hit her car.
Not sure what their race has to do with this but ok.

Have you actually watched the video with any real attention? The camera pans up as she shouts, “mom watch” - the mother is stood still as the car hits her; she then strikes the car & all hell breaks lose.

*Skip to 1.30, it’s clear; the mother says “oh you’re going to hit me” then gets hit.

No one is blameless here. You could argue the mother shouldn’t be stood behind the car but the lady in the car loses her sh*t & pulls a gun; they’re both idiots.

hobbers

Have you actually watched the video with any real attention? The camera pans up as she shouts, “mom watch” - the mother is stood still as the car hits her; she then strikes the car & all hell breaks lose.
The mother clearly wanted to be clipped by the car on camera and have an excuse to continue her escalation.

AFC NimbleThumb

The mother clearly wanted to be clipped by the car on camera and have an excuse to continue her escalation.
I’m not here to talk about what people ‘clearly want’; I don’t live in peoples heads. The car hits her, she hits back - no party in the argument is faultless & I’m not playing blame olympics.

Pulling the gun was a ridiculous overreaction. There’s no point holding your cool for the majority to then pull out a gun & cock it. Her life wasn’t in danger, she was being inconvenienced. I’d be pissed in her situation but I wouldn’t reach into my boot for a tyre iron threatening to beat her to death if she doesn’t stop.

The mother is an idiot; though as I said if someone touched my child I’d be p*ssed but her being an idiot doesn’t make a gun the answer.

Dante

Average bang
*Insert sarcastic comment agreeing the obvious here*

There’s this habit for people with guns to think it’s like a movie, you point shoot then like some assassin. She pulled her gun & readied it; the reason I mention murder is because if she shoots she kills.

It was an over escalation.

Not sure what their race has to do with this but ok.

*Skip to 1.30, it’s clear; the mother says “oh you’re going to hit me” then gets hit.

No one is blameless here. You could argue the mother shouldn’t be stood behind the car but the lady in the car loses her sh*t & pulls a gun; they’re both idiots.
What has their gender got to do with anything? You seem to be hinting that they're hysterical or overly emotional. But OK.

The person driving the car tried reversed away. As they did so, the car was punched or kicked. You can hear that clearly. The driver then got out and confronted the person who threw the punch.

If somebody was blocking my way to my front door, I would similarly remain calm and try to ignore their provocations. If I could finally get into my house but then the person outside hit my front door, that would piss me off. In that situation, I might grab the baseball bat I keep for self-protection and go out to confront the person.

This is America, so they used a gun instead.

But the principle is that you can't allow yourself to give in to intimidation without standing up for yourself. I'll take any amount of verbal abuse. But if things start to get physical, they've got to expect a response. I wouldn't want to hit anyone, and I'd hope beyond anything that they back away. There's a huge difference between showing my teeth and biting someone. But the second the line of confrontation crosses into the physical, I'd show that I'm not a pushover and won't accept any old shit.

AFC NimbleThumb

What has their gender got to do with anything? You seem to be hinting that they're hysterical or overly emotional.
You say ‘White woman’, then ‘Black mother’ get asked what race has to do with it then ask me about gender :nono: Nice try lad :lol:

The person driving the car tried reversed away. As they did so, the car was punched or kicked. You can hear that clearly. The driver then got out and confronted the person who threw the punch.
Still haven’t actually watched the video I see. Read what I wrote, the mother hits the car.

You’re just so hell bent on building a defence for Jillian Wuestenberg you’ll ignore the fact the man driving backed into her first :rolleyes:

You do understand it’s possible for both parties to overreact in this situation. The mothers standing in the way, the car still reverses.
If somebody was blocking my way to my front door, I would similarly remain calm and try to ignore their provocations. If I could finally get into my house but then the person outside hit my front door, that would piss me off. In that situation, I might grab the baseball bat I keep for self-protection and go out to confront the person.
At what part during this do you reverse your house into the person?

I always try to read posts with nuance but you’re being willfuly ignorant about what’s in the video & the example you’ve used isn’t exemplary.

But the principle is that you can't allow yourself to give in to intimidation without standing up for yourself. I'll take any amount of verbal abuse. But if things start to get physical, they've got to expect a response. I wouldn't want to hit anyone, and I'd hope beyond anything that they back away. There's a huge difference between showing my teeth and biting someone. But the second the line of confrontation crosses into the physical, I'd show that I'm not a pushover and won't accept any old shit.
For all the huffing & puffing from the mother the first physical contact is when the car strikes the woman - yes, she then strikes back.

You can attempt to normalise Jillian’s overreaction as much as you like; but my point is they’re both a mess.

If someone physically attacked you I’d expect you to physically respond but aside the car interaction neither party physically touches the other person. One side shouts a lot & the other pulls a gun which I think is an overreaction.

Let’s park the part of the video where the car hits the mother first; we’re here arguing that someone hitting a car that’s reversing towards them deserves to have a gun pulled on them & I just can’t take that seriously.

Dante

Average bang
You say ‘White woman’, then ‘Black mother’ get asked what race has to do with it then ask me about gender :nono: Nice try lad :lol:

Still haven’t actually watched the video I see. Read what I wrote, the mother hits the car.

You’re just so hell bent on building a defence for Jillian Wuestenberg you’ll ignore the fact the man driving backed into her first :rolleyes:

You do understand it’s possible for both parties to overreact in this situation. The mothers standing in the way, the car still reverses.

At what part during this do you reverse your house into the person?

I always try to read posts with nuance but you’re being willfuly ignorant about what’s in the video & the example you’ve used isn’t exemplary.

For all the huffing & puffing from the mother the first physical contact is when the car strikes the woman - yes, she then strikes back.

You can attempt to normalise Jillian’s overreaction as much as you like; but my point is they’re both a mess.

If someone physically attacked you I’d expect you to physically respond but aside the car interaction neither party physically touches the other person. One side shouts a lot & the other pulls a gun which I think is an overreaction.

Let’s park the part of the video where the car hits the mother first; we’re here arguing that someone hitting a car that’s reversing towards them deserves to have a gun pulled on them & I just can’t take that seriously.
I'll drop the matter of your racism/misogyny for sake of keeping this civil.

If there was no Second Amendment in America, it might have been a golf club instead of a gun. But in the location where it happened, it was a gun. Gun control is an issue for a different thread. This thread is about 'Karens'.

The gun wasn't shot, it was used to defuse the situation. Evoking 'murder' is a ridiculous over-escalation in the argument. It's the internet forum equivalent of pulling a gun.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If there was no Second Amendment in America, it might have been a golf club instead of a gun.

The gun wasn't shot, it was used to defuse the situation.
i guess bellamy defused riise with a golf club

AFC NimbleThumb

I'll drop the matter of your racism/misogyny for sake of keeping this civil.
No, please do go on. Everyday is a school day after all. Civility is a given.

Still not sure what the relevance to of race was here but onto my racism & misogyny. . .

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The gun video does show more of an issue with guns than an issue with the gunowner themselves. The fact that she knew that if she got out her gun the power that would have over someone but also the fact that she forgot how much damage that the gun could do if she actually let if off is scary. Also how easy it is to just grab a gun and completely flip situations.
Isn’t it the same with a tyre wrench, baseball bat, lead pipe or golf club?

It looked like she was just trying to get the black folks to back away so they (the white couple) could leave. It’s not clear to me what started this argument as all I saw was the end of it, in the video I saw on the Independent yesterday.

hobbers

To be fair the gun did defuse the situation in a sense. If there isn't that wild west escalation how does that situation not degrade into some sort of brawl?

True justice would have been if the husband cold cocked the mother as they both got in his face goading him.

AFC NimbleThumb

To be fair the gun did defuse the situation in a sense. If there isn't that wild west escalation how does that situation not degrade into some sort of brawl?
The mother & daughter do nothing but shout a lot all video; I can’t see what “brawl” she is stopping. They’re a nuisance throughout but don’t pose some fictitious brawl that didn’t happen as a reason for a wild overreaction.

There’s a reason she’s been charged with felonious assault for drawing the gun by an American PD; The mother & daughter continue to do exactly what they did all video - verbally abuse the couple, the gun doesn’t stop that.

Oakland County - Sheriff Michael Bouchard said:
I would just say this, we are asking and expect our police — and rightfully so — to deescalate every situation they possibly can, and we should be doing that. But I would say that needs to happen with us individually in our own lives and situations, that we interact with each other and deescalate those moments
*Feel free to timestamp the point where the deescalation from verbal abuse occurs.

True justice would have been if the husband cold cocked the mother as they both got in his face goading him.
Or you know he could just reverse his car into her as she stands in the way. Goaded :lol: His wife’s called a b*tch; he turns to the mother & she lets him know in no uncertain terms what he’ll get if he continues so he gets into his car & keeps reversing as the mother stands in the way.

This place gets so sanctimonious. The mother is an antagonist; the worlds full of them - stop attempting to normalise the dangerous overreaction. Both sides act improperly; the woman was hounded by the pair for over 90 seconds [we don’t see if she bumped the daughter or not, could be longer] & does well to hold her composure unfortunately upon returning from the car with the gun that composure is gone.

If you’d hit a woman for shouting at you, that’s an issue beyond this video.

Drainy

I watched the video and that's why I say that they werent blocked, you have the girl at the back and plenty of room upfront and on the left. They chose to not leave and confront them, just look at the video at 1:34, they backed the entire length of the car, at 2:07 you can see where the first car on the left is. They had plenty of room.
:lol: this has to be a joke

A pedestrian is determined to block her car in. She can't make maneuvers otherwise she's going to risk running her over. It's dangerous driving.

From the video neither side covered themselves in glory.

For the couple weren't too bad on film until the accusations of racism and they get heated, but when the mother blocked them in they overreacted and should have just called the police. Though they would probably still get cancelled for that in the current environment..

JPRouve

Scout
:lol: this has to be a joke

A pedestrian is determined to block her car in. She can't make maneuvers otherwise she's going to risk running her over. It's dangerous driving.

From the video neither side covered themselves in glory.

For the couple weren't too bad on film until the accusations of racism and they get heated, but when the mother blocked them in they overreacted and should have just called the police. Though they would probably still get cancelled for that in the current environment..
The pedestrian doesn't block the car, it actually failed and they can manoeuver. The pedestrians are totally wrong from start to finish, that part isn't debated but when the couple leave the car, they have backed the entire length of the car and have plenty of room upfront where there is no pedestrian or car next to them. There was no need to leave the car and pull out a gun.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The white couple did nothing wrong in my eyes. They did everything right from trying to deescalate, trying to move away, they're calm and in control.

Anyone with less restraint it could get very ugly. The white man seems to be very calm and in control I think they both know what they're doing, could be LEO by the looks of it.

As a husband, I don't think I can remain that calm if someone was harassing my wife.

Getting fired and jailed for that is too much, it only breeds more hate.

And this has nothing to do with color of the skin, if the situation reversed my verdict would still be the same

Drainy

The pedestrian doesn't block the car, it actually failed and they can manoeuver. The pedestrians are totally wrong from start to finish, that part isn't debated but when the couple leave the car, they have backed the entire length of the car and have plenty of room upfront where there is no pedestrian or car next to them. There was no need to leave the car and pull out a gun.
Looks to me that she is reversing the car and slams on when she is about to hit the pedestrian or possibly even does hit the woman gently, though that might be her hitting the car herself.

I wouldn't feel like I was safe to drive off as a driver with a vulnerable road user behaving irratically using the same road nearby. I would probably wait in the car until they got bored and pissed off.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Tbh I think i've seen so many clips of annoying Americans lately it that it would be hard not to pull a gun all the time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The gun only "defuses" the situation, because introducing deadly force to a shouting match is an escalation the other party couldn't match. If they had a gun as well who knows what would've happened. Shit.. even if they don't have a gun this can turn bloody.. just remember that video from a couple of months ago, where some neighborhood militia stops an unarmed jogger and he ends up dead, because he instinctively makes a move towards one of the gunmen.
And punching someone for shouting is not justice, it's the opposite.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The white couple did nothing wrong in my eyes. They did everything right from trying to deescalate, trying to move away, they're calm and in control.

Anyone with less restraint it could get very ugly. The white man seems to be very calm and in control I think they both know what they're doing, could be LEO by the looks of it.

As a husband, I don't think I can remain that calm if someone was harassing my wife.

Getting fired and jailed for that is too much, it only breeds more hate.

And this has nothing to do with color of the skin, if the situation reversed my verdict would still be the same
How calm could you remain if I started waving a gun in her face?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As far as I know a German police officer, an official with years of weapons training, is only allowed to unholster their gun after other measures have failed and the situation allows for them to actually shoot it. With that in mind it feels really surreal to read about people just accepting it as reasonable behavior to aim a gun at another person's head over some parking lot shouting and perhaps a bit of scratched paint.
Just imagine if both parties followed that logic. You'd have Mexican standoffs over nothing every other day.