Social Media Justice: A "Karen" faces consequences for threatening a Black man with cops

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not sure about the dog being treated well, earlier today I saw screenshots of the dogs Instagram and apparently it was always getting injured and it appeared she was injuring the dog to get attention.
I understand. I had seen her posting on the facebook page of the charity she adopted him from. There was an almost histrionic element to how she would post. Almost like munchhausen syndrome. She was always getting him checked out by the vets. They must have made a fortune from her.

But you can tell when a dog is treated good as a pose to bad and he adored her. I guarantee he is missing her greatly.

The poor guy was found straying as a pup in New York city. I just hope life doesnt turn sour for him now.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I'd question the motives of anyone whose first reaction to that video is to complain about the treatment the woman is getting.
Christ, does it is always has to be a complete black and white situation? Her actions were appalling but it is a valid question to ask if mob justice is the only valid way to go about here. May be it is ,since many have expressed in this thread that her actions otherwise are not punishable by law. But hypothetically let's say it was punishable by law, what punishment would fit?
Loss of a job and community service? When should she next be eligible for getting a proper job?
Actual jail time for x number of years?

Silva

Christ, does it is always has to be a complete black and white situation? Her actions were appalling but it is a valid question to ask if mob justice is the only valid way to go about here. May be it is ,since many have expressed in this thread that her actions otherwise are not punishable by law. But hypothetically let's say it was punishable by law, what punishment would fit?
Loss of a job and community service? When should she next be eligible for getting a proper job?
whatever stops white people trying to get black people killed by the police, that's the important part

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I understand. I had seen her posting on the facebook page of the charity she adopted him from. There was an almost histrionic element to how she would post. Almost like munchhausen syndrome. She was always getting him checked out by the vets. They must have made a fortune from her.

But you can tell when a dog is treated good as a pose to bad and he adored her. I guarantee he is missing her greatly.

The poor guy was found straying as a pup in New York city. I just hope life doesnt turn sour for him now.
If you've been perusing the rescue organization's facebook page I find it hard to believe that you'd have this level of concern for the dog's future well being.

Also, from my perspective, unnecessary vet visits are not part of treating a dog well. They're part of using a dog to gain social media cred and personal validation. Racist animal abusers don't make good dog mommies.

hobbers

I can assure you that when the rescue said she voluntarily returned the dog the voluntarily part was at the suggestion of the rescue and not an independent decision on her part, i.e. bring the dog back or we'll have you charged with animal cruelty.
They'd have had a hard time getting that dog back off her had she actually shown any sort of backbone though.

Even if they got the police involved for animal cruelty she could have just said she was in the midst of a panic attack and the dog is otherwise well cared for.

Or to put it another way, no sane person would give up a dog they loved and had owned for years just because they were filmed doing something shitty to it for a few minutes.

Moby

Dick
But hypothetically let's say it was punishable by law, what punishment would fit?
What happened is pretty much the best possible punishment for her. Putting her out of job or in jail isn't gonna change someone who is so far up in racism, so publicly shaming them, exposing them in the entire society, their neighbourhood, workplace, family, relatives and everyone who interacts with them is exactly what is needed. Being judged and looked down upon by literally everyone in your life is exactly what will show such lowlives what people who have to go through the same because of morons like her just because they belong to a different ethnicity, religion etc.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Well said.

We all think she's a cnut but encouraging public lynchings is only bad for society in the long run. It makes you as bad as her almost that you want her life ruined for something that can be dealt with in a better way. Somebody has to be the better person for things to move forward.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Well said.

We all think she's a cnut but encouraging public lynchings is only bad for society in the long run. It makes you as bad as her almost that you want her life ruined for something that can be dealt with in a better way. Somebody has to be the better person for things to move forward.
Who's saying she should be lynched? People are justifiably upset about this and many just want her to face consequences.

VP

It's ridiculous but like with Twitter too many people here seem to be trying to out-woke each other.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Sometimes I feel a bit weird when people dig up old dirt on people and try to get them shamed publically for those, or if someones makes a bad joke and people go insane or that kind of stuff, I feel like sometimes people are looking for issues where there isn't much of one, but in this instance this woman was specifically trying to make trouble for a person, knowing that because of who he is it could end very badly, she was specifically using that thing in order to try and make it worse for him. I have absolutely no problem with it in this case. She wanted to cause trouble, well she got it.

VP

What happened is pretty much the best possible punishment for her. Putting her out of job or in jail isn't gonna change someone who is so far up in racism, so publicly shaming them, exposing them in the entire society, their neighbourhood, workplace, family, relatives and everyone who interacts with them is exactly what is needed. Being judged and looked down upon by literally everyone in your life is exactly what will show such lowlives what people who have to go through the same because of morons like her just because they belong to a different ethnicity, religion etc.
Is there any evidence that public shaming can change people's behaviour?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
They'd have had a hard time getting that dog back off her had she actually shown any sort of backbone though.

Even if they got the police involved for animal cruelty she could have just said she was in the midst of a panic attack and the dog is otherwise well cared for.

Or to put it another way, no sane person would give up a dog they loved and had owned for years just because they were filmed doing something shitty to it for a few minutes.
Typically, rescue adoption in the US involves a rigourous process. In addition to home visits and fenced yard requirements, it often includes a signed adoption contract that may contain cluses that require the adopter to return the animal to the rescue in the event the adoption doesn't work out or due to other things, such as documented evidence of animal cruelty. The video, along with her facebook/twitter posts of the frequently injured animal would be more than enough for any competent rescue to demand she returns the dog to their care.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sometimes I feel a bit weird when people dig up old dirt on people and try to get them shamed publically for those, or if someones makes a bad joke and people go insane or that kind of stuff, I feel like sometimes people are looking for issues where there isn't much of one, but in this instance this woman was specifically trying to make trouble for a person, knowing that because of who he is it could end very badly, she was specifically using that thing in order to try and make it worse for him. I have absolutely no problem with it in this case. She wanted to cause trouble, well she got it.
I like Judge Dredd Olly.

Green_Red

Yeah I agree with this, I saw one guy have a meltdown because he gave Currys the wrong address. Then when it turned out his road was too small for the lorry he lost it.

I wouldn’t say she was trying to get him killed, but she did phone the police, and then with a panicked voice she said she was being threatened by a black man. That’s a dangerous thing to do.

It’s not massively different to swatting someone, it’s creating a narrative and putting your victim in a dangerous position.
In my defence I had spent a grand and paid for the delivery slot in the lead up to Christmas waiting on a fridge so I could store the stuff to make christmas dinner. That's hardly being a Karen.

GiddyUp

She knew what she was doing. Even if she didn't make the 911 call, just the threat came from a place of ill will, not out of genuine concern for her own welfare.

I'm not a fan of mob justice at all, and I'm not sure yanking people's employment is the optimal solution here, however more white people in the US need to understand the ramifications of calling the cops on black people in mundane situations. If this makes another Karen think twice before picking up the phone then in a twisted sort of way, I'm for it.

Also, imagine you're a black co-worker of this woman. How are you supposed to feel about someone who, with knowledge of how cops senselessly kill black people, deliberately called the cops on a black person who was not doing anything wrong, in an attempt to scare him away (and that's the best case scenario, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt)?

Have her take some sensitivity training at least.
If I was her employer I would also fire her. It's pretty scary what she did there. She should also be liable criminally. Accusations like that ruin peoples lives. It's only fair that a false accusation should have the same consequences.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Well said.

It is weird that people willingly hope that someone's life is ruined while also thinking it's permissible as they've raced to the moral high ground. Seems paradoxical to me.

Wolverine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52806572
The FBI will investigate the death of a black man in the US state of Minnesota after a video emerged showing a policeman kneeling on his neck.
Probably should be in the cops behaving badly thread but that threat was in the country where this is a not so infrequent occurrence. The lady mentioned she was going to call the cops specifically threatening to mention his race and him being threatening to invoke in his mind the threat of police brutality.

This lady may well be having an off day and sure it must be annoying for people not doing stuff to this level who also get caught in the eye of a twitter storm for banal shit. But the bigger issue surely has to be us thinking wow a large number of people endure this shit, endure racist shit.

A good part of what people are posting on twitter about this incident when you consider it individually are well thought out, subversive commentary drawing on their own experience, not many of the things that get retweets actually suggest any specific action. The aggregate is what creates the storm, sometimes unfairly and disproportionately. Their intent is to raise awareness, maybe so that somebody else might think twice and stop a Trayvon Martin situation in the future.

Because regardless of the cancel culture many people still feel empowered to say and do racist things on camera.

I don't know what a proportionate "punishment" would be for this lady. But I'm not in the country and race of people for whom this would have been aimed against, its their voice we should be listening to. Because its them who have to go through this shit. And their voices should be centered because this stuff is by many magnitude something we should be worrying about more than public shaming, and when weighing up the two maybe understanding why some in society now lean towards the balance being tipped in favour of aiming to prevent incidents of racism. And maybe people need to start thinking that people are saying this not from in a overbearing PC, virtue signalling, moral high ground performative way and perhaps mean it sincerely for society's betterment.

crappycraperson

Scout
whatever stops white people trying to get black people killed by the police, that's the important part
I agree that it is the bigger problem, what happened in Minnesota or numerous cases of cops killing Afro-Americans without even getting any punishment for it. At least some amplification of outrage via social media is definitely helpful when it comes to holding folks accountable, the case of two white men lynching a black man jogging is a good example of same. But at least in that case ultimately it was the law that took over, remains to be seen of course if it once again fails the victim or not.

I don't agree that this kind of concerted effort is ultimately going to solve racism problem in US. And even it helps, mob justice is inevitably going to claim some innocent parties along the way.

arnie_ni

That pretty much nails it. She also feigned being terrified and altered her voice and stuff to make it sound worse on the phone.
The phone call was mental.

If you were to ignore the circumstances you say it was brilliant and she should be an actress.

How she just went into full on distress mode im surprised the cops didnt come all guns blazing. It was very convincing.

crappycraperson

Scout
May be it fits the crime in this case, it may not in another. Not the best way to go about it.

Charlie Foley

I don’t know about the US but in the UK you are allowed to film anything you like as long as you are in a public area.

I don’t know how you managed to jump to him hounding her either. He was quite calm giving the circumstances of her getting increasingly hysterical and lying more.
If I was a black man in America I would want most of my interactions with hysterical white people on camera, so when they do call the cops and lie, I would have a record of what actually happened.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Because we don't have a mind reading device, we won't know for sure what her intent was. I don't think it's an overreaction to say that it is possible that she was trying to get him murdered.

Sure, people who are certain of this are overreacting. While hypocritical, their overreaction is much less likely to result in someone's death, than her overreaction was likely to result in the black guy's death.

No flak from here for pointing it out, but I think it's understandable that for a lot of people it will be secondary.
Yeah I’ve sat back and read responses. I don’t have to agree to respect others right to an opinion.

My own personal anecdote... When my girl and I were driving all over the West Coast on holiday we left a motel at 5am as we had a long drive ahead of us. We knew we needed cash and spotted an ATM in the other side of the highway. No cars anywhere. Pulled a 6 lane U-Turn.

Cops lights flash. I pull into the bank parking lot and park.

Officer gets out, walks alongside the car. I put my hands on the wheel, he asks me to wind my window down.

He asks for my license and rental papers after a brief exchange of what I’m doing.

Its a low slung seat so I thrust my hips up, push my hand into my pocket and pull out my wallet in one fluid sexy motion.

It’s not until I’ve pushed my hand towards him that I notice his hand has moved to his holster.

I can almost guarantee that goes a lot differently if I’m black. I can also guarantee that my tiny white mind doesn’t process all of that in the moment.

Which is why when it comes to this, I’m not going to extrapolate a minute exchange into something more sinister. It’s terrible as it is and that’s how I’ll assess it. For me, there’s not the time to think in those terms.

I believe she was on the ‘How dare someone tell me what to do’ train at first. Then it became ‘An African American man’ and it got very nasty and silly very quickly.

I’m not more right than anyone. But I’ll always try to give an aspect of benefit of the doubt. It just seems a lot healthier and gives more operating space for everything else.

Charlie Foley

Thought it was harsh hearing the dog being taking off her when I was reading it. Now after seeing the video, what the feck was she doing handling the dog like that. And the dog has an Instagram account? Ffs Karen. She was being a complete Cnut for no real reason. When will they ever learn.
You’re right there. The whole time I was watching the video I was thinking it was ironic the dog would be much better off with being on the leash the way she was holding it! Poor pooch

arnie_ni

Why the feck was the guy filming her in the first place? Isn't that an invasion of privacy? Filming someone for walking their dog without a leash? Seriously? It seems everyone wants to be a justice warrior and hound people for breaking a rule, no matter how tiny it is.
Probably for the exact thing that happened. The dog wasn't on a leash and he probably knew fine well what would happen when he calmy asked her to leash it.

It was for his own protection.

Charlie Foley

As a social experiment, I text that video to several of my conservative colleagues... 10 minutes later - "How is it legal to post that video without her permission?"
Say something vague about freedom of speech and watch their heads spin

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I was a black man in America I would want most of my interactions with hysterical white people on camera, so when they do call the cops and lie, I would have a record of what actually happened.
Ideally internet social justice and doxxing shouldn't be a thing, unfortunately the reality is that no one important would care about this incident otherwise. That's the actual issue here, this woman acted the way she did because 9 out of 10 times she will get away with it. On the other end the man or woman involved will be roughed up by the police, will be treated like a suspect and maybe even prosecuted, if not shot, that prosecution will most likely see them lose their own job.

crappycraperson

Scout
what else are black people meant to do in the face of constantly getting their lives ruined by racist karens?
It is fair point and I understand why organically this grew as big as it did. But ultimately they should also be asking authorities to charge her with actual offence for which some legal punishment can be doled out. Social media is a powerful tool to bring to light such cases but I am unsure about doxxing people's complete personal information as some kind of vigilante justice.

Moby

Dick
May be it fits the crime in this case, it may not in another. Not the best way to go about it.
Definitely, this is not supposed to be a general precedent or some kind of blanket procedure in any kind of altercation but talking specifically about this incident the consequences she is or would be having to face are pretty much in accordance with her actions.

Silva

It is fair point and I understand why organically this grew as big as it did. But ultimately they should also be asking authorities to charge her with actual offence for which some legal punishment can be doled out. Social media is a powerful tool to bring to light such cases but I am unsure about doxxing people's complete personal information as some kind of vigilante justice.
But the authorities don't care about black people, that's why "I'm being threatened by an african american male" on a 911 call has a very specific, murderous, intent. This exists because of where black people find themselves in America it's not random. When black people try to organise serious change, they end up getting murdered by those authorities.

Carolina Red

Staff
Belongs in the “cops doing bad things” thread, but it is somewhat a case in point of the fear the woman was trying to invoke in the man...

May 26, 2020
A man exclaiming "I can't breathe" as a Minneapolis police officer pinned him to the ground and put his knee on the man's neck for about eight minutes died Monday night, prompting the FBI and Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to step in and investigate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...6cHne4dILO1TkcfjQU5u08kGo0widssTXr5hbjh1ncjew

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree that it is the bigger problem, what happened in Minnesota or numerous cases of cops killing Afro-Americans without even getting any punishment for it. At least some amplification of outrage via social media is definitely helpful when it comes to holding folks accountable, the case of two white men lynching a black man jogging is a good example of same. But at least in that case ultimately it was the law that took over, remains to be seen of course if it once again fails the victim or not.

I don't agree that this kind of concerted effort is ultimately going to solve racism problem in US. And even it helps, mob justice is inevitably going to claim some innocent parties along the way.
It won't solve the racism problem, but it'll keep more black people safe than if nothing was in place, which is positive movement.

Innocent parties on the other side of the spectrum are - and will always be - far more in number, that can't be swept under the rug.

American law has every right to be distrusted by black folk across the continent.

Her intention was to put an innocent person in grave danger. It backfired, tremendously.

I'm trying to understand your stance on this, but someone like this is a dangerous individual who has reaped what she sowed; what sympathy should be reserved for her? The proverb of Marlo be told.