Social Media Justice: A "Karen" faces consequences for threatening a Black man with cops

clarkydaz

If I was that black guy, I'd feel like she's trying to get me shot.

That's nothing to do with the internet, that's the reality black people in America have to live with.

So with that said, I don't think it's over the top to say she might have been trying to get him killed, for the simple reason that she could easily have got him killed here.

That's why his phones out and why he's recording because that's his reality, and I think some on here can't quite grasp that.
if a police officer happened to be in close distance of her shrieking like that, the guy would very likely have been shot. And she still would have played victim if not on camera

caid

If regular justice existed i'd be more inclined to criticise social media justice. It doesn't though. It helps skew the balance of power back towards regular people so I'm 100% ok with it, despite the many unpleasant consequences.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If I was that black guy, I'd feel like she's trying to get me shot.

That's nothing to do with the internet, that's the reality black people in America have to live with.

So with that said, I don't think it's over the top to say she might have been trying to get him killed, for the simple reason that she could easily have got him killed here.

That's why his phones out and why he's recording because that's his reality, and I think some on here can't quite grasp that.
Yep, why agonise over what her intent was when it is unarguable that she must have been aware that her action could have led to racially-charged violence against an innocent man. Maybe she just wanted to scare him with no wish for the police to actually turn up, maybe she wanted the police to arrest him, maybe she didn’t care if they shot him - the point is once she calls the police in the manner she did she is no longer in control of the outcome and is making a violent outcome possible, so frankly her intent is secondary.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I would phrase it differently, I would say that she didn't care if the police shot/battered him or any other african american because strangely enough she didn't describe him and any african american in the area could have been in trouble based on her deception. People need to think about what comes into a police officer mind when they are told on the radio that someone's life is being threatened and then add to that the racial context.
Another good point given the frequency with which we hear some poor random black guy “met the description”.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
How on earth does someone that thick get that sort of job? :lol:

Brain so tiny she doesn't even realise as she spends the best part of 5 minutes strangling her dog on camera.

Weird to just hand it back to the rescue as well, even with the social media furore, had she only just adopted it?
She adopted him about two to three years ago. I feel bad for him. He was treated like mint and really loved her from the pictures posted.

Ludens the Red

If regular justice existed i'd be more inclined to criticise social media justice. It doesn't though. It helps skew the balance of power back towards regular people so I'm 100% ok with it, despite the many unpleasant consequences.
Good point to be honest. I do still sympathise with people being persecuted on social media even ones who have done wrong. But, if there are repeatedly no consequences for people’s actions, how will they learn or change their behaviour. You can’t bring any criminal proceedings against Karen, so essentially if she wasn’t taken to trial on social media nothing would happen to her.

It’s like those two students on tik tok a while back who did this racist piece in a bathroom. They only became sorry for what they did ONCE the social media Police had started shaming them. Maybe the potential at being savaged online will alter people’s behaviour. Of course there still has to be a line though.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The fact this is your major take from this story says an awful lot about you.
It doesn't just have to be an opportunity to jump on the right train though does it? Undoubtedly, her reaction is unhinged but it's also possible for 2 people to be acting like cnuts of varying degrees isn't it?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you're prepared to put someone else in life-threatening jeopardy with such flippancy, you deserve everything that comes your way in terms of doxxing. Assuming she called the police - instead of feigning the action - she's an actual menace to society (for 'African Americans') and looking into her history, or past interactions with the police has merit to see if she's done such a thing before.

People talking about it being such a shame or mob mentality to have what she intended for another to receive blasted right back at her seem to have misdirected their empathy - how about the victim(s) in such instances? How lucky is the guy filming to actually have the means to disprove her hysterical words and actions? What is the likelihood of something happening to him if it was simply his word against hers?

A woman in genuine distress calling the police against a man should rightly be met with assistance posthaste - a white woman calling the police against a black man whilst heightening the threat level via feigned distress, in America, is going to get the works: blue lights, multiple officers in an excitable state, guns un-holstered and ready to mete 'justice' to the supposed perpetrator with an act first ask questions later attitude that is very clearly potentially fatal. Whether her intention was merely to scare him or in full awareness of the potential outcome of the call, she's very clearly someone that needed to be flagged, which doxxing will have done.

By the way she was lynching the dog, one might think it was serendipitous intervention, for its sake!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
She's clearly a complete moron and a racist one at that too.

But I also think the internet mob mentality is a dangerous part of our society these days. These sort of people getting punished by the letter of the law is the way to go. The whole crusaders of justice let's get em weaponising that social media does, is often unnecessary (not always of course, sometimes it is useful). But systemically, it's a problem.

Then again, we live in a world of extremes don't we? Where in the same breath as the above, I often feel political correctness isn't prevailant enough with right wing across the world bringing the bigots out of the woodwork and normalising fringe behaviour.

In a nutshell, we should all focus on that poor dog and his neck.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It doesn't just have to be an opportunity to jump on the right train though does it? Undoubtedly, her reaction is unhinged but it's also possible for 2 people to be acting like cnuts of varying degrees isn't it?
In this instance what was cnut like about the man’s behaviour?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Presumably the filming. Which he did to protect himself. Which turned out to be a valid reason for him filming. Which is a crime because...sorry. I can't do it.

Withnail

No. I haven’t said that at all. I’m saying it’s a very wrong headed suggestion that that was her intent.

How is that so hard for people to grasp? Has the internet fcuked everyone up that much? You’ve even escalated the word ‘Threatening’ to ‘Attacking’. It’s so tiresome.

She behaved like a terrible person. She’s racist. She seems to have got her comeuppance in short order. It doesn’t need invented drama thrown on top.

With that said, a lot of folks feel differently and clearly think she wanted to get the guy killed. I’ll leave those folks to it as we’re never going to close that kind of gap.
Point taken on the use of the word attacking. She told him she would tell the cops he was 'threatening her life' which to me is a lot stronger than just 'threatening' but she didn't actually use that phrase when speaking on the phone so I misrepresented that.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the internet fecking people up.

She's extremely short-sighted if she didn't realise that his death could be a possible consequence of her actions.

The fact that she kept emphasising that he was African-American is what is the most troubling.

She is clearly aware that the reaction of the police will be different than if she reported it as a man who was threatening her.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
She's clearly a complete moron and a racist one at that too.

But I also think the internet mob mentality is a dangerous part of our society these days. These sort of people getting punished by the letter of the law is the way to go. The whole crusaders of justice let's get em weaponising that social media does, is often unnecessary (not always of course, sometimes it is useful). But systemically, it's a problem.

Then again, we live in a world of extremes don't we? Where in the same breath as the above, I often feel political correctness isn't prevailant enough with right wing across the world bringing the bigots out of the woodwork and normalising fringe behaviour.

In a nutshell, we should all focus on that poor dog and his neck.
There is no legal punishment for this sort of behavior. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for wrongly calling the cops on someone, especially after the cops proceed to arrest/kill the innocent party.

Best case scenario: a law gets put in place to dis-incentivize this. In the meantime, mob mentality, while very sub optimal and heavy handed at time, serves as some sort of actual deterrent. Like, if you know there's a good chance that the stupid mob will get you fired/doxxed if you weaponize 911 services against innocent black people, then maybe you will think twice before dialing.

Sucks for her that she had to be the sacrificial idiot, but hey ho

Withnail

She was always posting pictures on facebook of him. He was treated better than a king by her. He adored her as well.

I just hope he does not lose out because of this.
I believe the dog is back at the shelter now. She surrendered him to the shelter she had adopted him from apparently.

ravi2

She adopted him about two to three years ago. I feel bad for him. He was treated like mint and really loved her from the pictures posted.
Not sure about the dog being treated well, earlier today I saw screenshots of the dogs Instagram and apparently it was always getting injured and it appeared she was injuring the dog to get attention.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
She was always posting pictures on facebook of him. He was treated better than a king by her. He adored her as well.

I just hope he does not lose out because of this.
The video of her strangling him in Central Park suggests otherwise, Hugh. Her own righteous indignation at being called out for having him off leash is clearly more important that the dog's well being.

The shelter/rescue will be very diligent in ensuring he goes to a better home than the one she provided.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There is no legal punishment for this sort of behavior. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for wrongly calling the cops on someone, especially after the cops proceed to arrest/kill the innocent party.

Best case scenario: a law gets put in place to dis-incentivize this. In the meantime, mob mentality, while very sub optimal and heavy handed at time, serves as some sort of actual deterrent. Like, if you know there's a good chance that the stupid mob will get you fired/doxxed if you weaponize 911 services against innocent black people, then maybe you will think twice before dialing.

Sucks for her that she had to be the sacrificial idiot, but hey ho
Do you not have 'wasting police time' laws?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
A dog that she was waving around by the fecking neck. She probably only treated him well for the camera to get followers for the dogs Instagram account.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Just another day in the USA today. For anyone who thinks her intentions weren't that bad or gives her the benefit of the doubt. It looks very clear to me what she's trying to achieve by calling the cops in the manner that she did.

Eckers99

Well, I personally wouldn't go around documenting other people's bad behaviour with a phone. If serious stuff was taking place then, yeah, it could be a useful tool. But using it to capture minor transgressions seems a bit OTT. And the other problem with snippets of bad behaviour is that it's a snippet, free of context, so you have no idea what might've preceded the footage.

I'm not in any way condoning her behaviour. It's there for all to see. She's appalling. But I am condoning the right to be open-minded about what we see and to interrogate it, rather than just rushing to condemn, which is a modern ill that I find pretty unpleasant in its own way.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Some of the replies are amazing. :lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Well, I personally wouldn't go around documenting other people's bad behaviour with a phone. If serious stuff was taking place then, yeah, it could be a useful tool. But using it to capture minor transgressions seems a bit OTT. And the other problem with snippets of bad behaviour is that it's a snippet, free of context, so you have no idea what might've preceded the footage.

I'm not in any way condoning her behaviour. It's there for all to see. She's appalling. But I am condoning the right to be open-minded about what we see and to interrogate it, rather than just rushing to condemn, which is a modern ill that I find pretty unpleasant in its own way.
Sure, but we didn't see what happened prior to the guy starting to film. I'd be willing to wager she was immediately threatening which is why dude started to document the interaction.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Are you part of an ethnic group which has been a victim of (police) injustice and violence on almost a daily basis? Genuine question. I am not, and I also think I wouldn't have that reflex, but it's hard to put yourself in their mindset if you're not experiencing stuff like this on a recurrent basis (in your country in general, or on a personal level).

Taking your phone out to record an altercation seems just like a cautious approach to me these days.

Eckers99

Sure, but we didn't see what happened prior to the guy starting to film. I'd be willing to wager she was immediately threatening which is why dude started to document the interaction.
Yeah, you might be right. The guy seems really placid and she seems very brittle, so it's a fair extrapolation.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The feck is she doing with that dog? She's ragging him around by the collar like it's a stuffed animal, the dumb twat.

I saw something similar the other morning. Guy on the other side of the road was walking his dog and walking really close to the edge of the kerb. His foot slipped off the edge and he sort of stumbled for a couple of steps. He blamed it on the dog. Ragged it around with the lead and starting swearing at it. The dog didn't do anything except walk alongside him. Shithouse.

If this is how these peoples dogs are handled in one isolated incident, how are they treating them on a daily basis? I know it's not the real topic of the thread, but it still pisses me off.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Do you not have 'wasting police time' laws?
There are laws against filing a false police report. At that point there is a paper trail, as well as intent, that can be used to prosecute someone for perjury, and they could be liable for expenses/time incurred by the police.

However it would be much harder to arrest someone for blatantly misusing 911 services. The element of malice or deception needs to be proven. If there is any ambiguity in a legal sense, prosecutors will usually decline to move forward with the case in favor of more weighty cases. Plus, police do encourage people to call suspicious behavior in, and being more aggressive in terms of arresting misusers (unless the behavior is just absolutely blatant and rock solid legal-wise, like swatting for example) would be detrimental to that end.

So short answer to your question: if there are any such laws, they are not used for a variety of reasons.

Carolina Red

Staff

A phone video (from February) surfacing just got men in Georgia charged with murder and put under investigation for a hate crime for shooting an unarmed black man who was jogging through their neighborhood.

The context of what America is right now shouldn't be disregarded when thinking "why would a black guy start filming this?"

Eckers99

Are you part of an ethnic group which has been a victim of (police) injustice and violence on almost a daily basis? Genuine question. I am not, and I also think I wouldn't have that reflex, but it's hard to put yourself in their mindset if you're not experiencing stuff like this on a recurrent basis (in your country in general, or on a personal level).

Taking your phone out to record an altercation seems just like a cautious approach to me these days.
It didn't start as an altercation about race, it became one when she lost the plot. The uploader suggests that a bird watcher filmed someone walking their dog without a lead, presumably because it disturbs the birds. That, to me, is not worthy of recording. And, before you shove me into the online leper colony, I'll repeat that I would never condone her behaviour. Her reaction is genuinely shocking.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Some of y'all need to watch that video again. I have 0 fecking sympathy. Look how she repeatedly refers to his skin color, and how she exaggerates the whole situation ("threatening my life").

Seriously, what the feck.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'd question the motives of anyone whose first reaction to that video is to complain about the treatment the woman is getting.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There are laws against filing a false police report. At that point there is a paper trail, as well as intent, that can be used to prosecute someone for perjury, and they could be liable for expenses/time incurred by the police.

However it would be much harder to arrest someone for blatantly misusing 911 services. The element of malice or deception needs to be proven. If there is any ambiguity in a legal sense, prosecutors will usually decline to move forward with the case in favor of more weighty cases. Plus, police do encourage people to call suspicious behavior in, and being more aggressive in terms of arresting misusers (unless the behavior is just absolutely blatant and rock solid legal-wise, like swatting for example) would be detrimental to that end.

So short answer to your question: if there are any such laws, they are not used for a variety of reasons.
Right, got it.

This cycle of filming>doxxing>mob justice will escalate whilst people can call the police in the manner she did and do so with impunity (unless caught on film). The threat of doxxing/social justice may become clear in the world of 'Karens' as a strong enough deterrent in and of itself for them to stop using the police as their personal assistants.

Sad thing is, it's not because their actions are reprehensible that they'd stop, but rather the consequence to their own livelihood and well-being not being worth the bother of trying to ruin innocent people's lives.

hobbers

Baffling and shitty from all directions then. Shit of her to get so out of her mind that she nearly hung him. Then doubly shit of her to just coin him back to the adoption centre because of some social media pressure. Pathetic, hope he gets better luck with his next home.

Dr. Dwayne

Baffling and shitty from all directions then. Shit of her to get so out of her mind that she nearly hung him. Then doubly shit of her to just coin him back to the adoption centre because of some social media pressure. Pathetic, hope he gets better luck with his next home.
I can assure you that when the rescue said she voluntarily returned the dog the voluntarily part was at the suggestion of the rescue and not an independent decision on her part, i.e. bring the dog back or we'll have you charged with animal cruelty.