Social Media Justice: A "Karen" faces consequences for threatening a Black man with cops

Withnail

There’s nothing to unpack there.

If people think she was trying to get that person killed, If that’s their first thought, that’s a huge problem and something they need to work on.
Are you denying that there is a very real possibility of a black man being shot by the police if he's been accused of attacking a white woman in America?

Green_Red

What a bitch! and the owner is out of order too.

By the way this thread is for the redcafes resident Karens. There's fecking loads of you that get outraged by nothing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Because she knows what she's doing.
I read the article and I understand what they're getting at but I'm slightly uncomfortable with the concept of strategic tears because I could see it being used against all women even when they're in the right.

space

wow what a horrific video, she knew exactly what she was doing, literally emphasised the guy was black and then pretended to fecking shriek and shit. What an evil racist woman, weaponizing her privilege and putting that mans life in danger because she couldn't put her dog on a leash (in a conservation area where it is required). Her treatment of the dog too is so bad, though many replies to the tweet seem to focus on the animal cruelty before the black mans life... as if racism can be excused. So much to unpack in the vid I am glad the lad got it on tape

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There’s nothing to unpack there.

If people think she was trying to get that person killed, If that’s their first thought, that’s a huge problem and something they need to work on.
I mean, no one can say for sure. But even if she just wanted to give him a huge scare by mentioning the cops, that is incredibly, incredibly fecked up, given recent incidents involving innocent black people getting killed by cops.

But surely that isn't the first problem that comes to mind when reading of this incident?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Still I am not able to stomach posts after posts of people wanting her life ruined in every possible way. I know justice system is malfunctioning in almost all countries throughout the world and seems to be operating on best of worst case philosophy but there has to be systematic way of dealing with such issues or actions rather than devolving into post modern version of mob justice.
Completely agree.

Carolina Red

Staff
Sadly stereotypes exists

If it's some Asian rich kids gathering outside my house with their fancy daddy's money sports car I'd probably say meh, but what happened if it's a dodgy old car filled with filthy dressed people that fits the descriptions of drug dealing gangster? You really can't expect me to be 100% not worried or 100% worried in both situation. Something wrong with society that is.
The biggest drug bust I've ever seen as a teacher was when the cops arrested 20 something doctors and lawyers kids who were selling drugs out of their lockers. They were very well dressed and drove nicer cars than the faculty.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I read the article and I understand what they're getting at but I'm slightly uncomfortable with the concept of strategic tears because I could see it being used against all women even when they're in the right.
The whole intersectional feminism thing always comes across as a game of Top Trumps to see who is allowed to be most offended. But that’s probably just me being a heteronormative centrist dad.

The veneer well and truly dropped there and showed her up for the self-centred abomination she clearly is.

I also can't stand animal cruelty, she deserves everything she gets for the way she treated that dog.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I mean, no one can say for sure. But even if she just wanted to give him a huge scare by mentioning the cops, that is incredibly, incredibly fecked up, given recent incidents involving innocent black people getting killed by cops.

But surely that isn't the first problem that comes to mind when reading of this incident?
I haven’t defended her in any way.

I just think it’s very on the nose for people to complain about her nasty overreaction, then overreact and say she was trying to get him murdered.

I’ll happily take all the flak in the world for pointing it out too.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Racism, man. Like, what in the actual feck?! Thinking you're better than someone else because of pigmentation. I'd say it's as hilarious as thinking you're better than someone because you drive a BMW but I don't know any non-BMW owners who are born "guilty until proven innocent" so it's really no laughing matter.

Do they get brought up by racists? Does it just come through who people spend time with? Are we all inherently racist to some degree, whether intentional or not? It's the dumbest fecking thing to try and use as a putdown ractic towards someone else and also probably the most deadly because of how throughout history it's fuelled hate and made the value of a human beings life negotiable depending on who holds the power in any given situation.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I was asking what the poster I quoted thought was the intention, given he’s so adamant that police violence was not it.
Again, stop going over the top. It’s ridiculous.

There are an almost endless list of outcomes to suggest what she wanted to happen.

You know in your heart of hearts that if you gave her a button that would see the man die if she pressed it, she wouldn’t.

So don’t suggest she’s trying to get someone murdered.

She’s being a terrible human and we should call her out for that. But going over the top to do so is not constructive. It’s how permanent divides form. Don’t fuel it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The whole intersectional feminism thing always comes across as a game of Top Trumps to see who is allowed to be most offended. But that’s probably just me being a heteronormative centrist dad.
Yeah it's a dangerous game because one group can end up making things worse for another. Imagine a rape case and a woman starts to cry in court, the opposing lawyer then claims "strategic tears". A fine line has to be trod here.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Again, stop going over the top. It’s ridiculous.

There are an almost endless list of outcomes to suggest what she wanted to happen.

You know in your heart of hearts that if you gave her a button that would see the man die if she pressed it, she wouldn’t.

So don’t suggest she’s trying to get someone murdered.

She’s being a terrible human and we should call her out for that. But going over the top to do so is not constructive. It’s how permanent divides form. Don’t fuel it.
I don’t get how you can be so adamant that police violence was definitely not her thinking.

She threatened to call the police and cite his race, and then actually did exactly that whilst feigning fear in her voice.

This in a country with an enormous issue over police shooting black people.

Given there’s apparently an almost endless list of possible motives for her doing this, could you perhaps share some examples instead of trying to act all condescending and telling everybody else they’re the problem.

UnrelatedPsuedo

So often, you post in such an unnecessarily aggressive and angry way. Why? There is no need in this instance.

I don't think she was actively trying to kill him, nor do I think it was her main aim to get him killed. She's not pointing a gun at him.
The bold is why. Two posters said in black and white terms : She’s tried to get him killed. It’s so silly.

You didn’t think that. You didn’t say that. So let those posts pass you by.

The absurdity of that should be pointed out. How is it possibly sensible to critique my tone, when others attribute a stranger with intent to get someone killed.

I’ve said she’s a terrible person. I’ve called her racist. I’ve not said a positive thing about the woman.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There is actually a research piece about the rise of reports to the police over the past year (2018 to 2019) against black people in the US over stuff that wouldn't have been worthy of police involvement had the person been white, or specifically to try and cause harm to the victim because of their race.

https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1293&context=mjrl

Preface said:
Over the past year, reports to the police about Black persons engaged in innocuous behaviors have bombarded the American consciousness. What do we make of them? And, equally important, what are the consequences of such reports? This Article is the first to argue that the recent spike in calls to the police against Black persons who are simply existing must be understood as a systematic phenomenon which it dubs racialized police communication. The label captures two related practices. First, racially motivated police reporting—calls, complaints, or reports made when Black persons are engaged in behavior that would not have been read as suspicious, or otherwise worthy of police involvement had they been White. Second, racially weaponized police reporting—calls, complaints, or reports made against Blacks in an effort to capitalize on law enforcement mistreatment of Black persons, or harm the victim because of their race.

hobbers

How on earth does someone that thick get that sort of job? :lol:

Brain so tiny she doesn't even realise as she spends the best part of 5 minutes strangling her dog on camera.

Weird to just hand it back to the rescue as well, even with the social media furore, had she only just adopted it?

Deery

Dreary
Horrible bastard for putting that man in such a position were his actual life could have been put at risk.
Also why is she strangling the dog she seems to be completely unhinged, there is people that go through their whole life like that and you can’t say anything because they’re going to react in such a manner.
Glad she was pulled up on it.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What a bitch! and the owner is out of order too.

By the way this thread is for the redcafes resident Karens. There's fecking loads of you that get outraged by nothing.
Yeah I agree with this, I saw one guy have a meltdown because he gave Currys the wrong address. Then when it turned out his road was too small for the lorry he lost it.
The bold is why. Two posters said in black and white terms : She’s tried to get him killed. It’s so silly.

The absurdity of that should be pointed out. How is it possibly sensible to critique my tone, when others attribute a stranger with intent to get someone killed.

I’ve said she’s a terrible person. I’ve called her racist. I’ve not said a positive thing about the woman.
I wouldn’t say she was trying to get him killed, but she did phone the police, and then with a panicked voice she said she was being threatened by a black man. That’s a dangerous thing to do.

It’s not massively different to swatting someone, it’s creating a narrative and putting your victim in a dangerous position.

Wolverine

I know its easy to dismiss the voices of those for whom this is personal but I am reading what they're saying because its important. And it comes from not a place of emotionality but of lived experience which I think a lot of people often underplay in discussions around race.
I wonder how many similar confrontations happen in the States with the weaponising of a threat of calling the police because of how people know it will affect the psyche of a black person knowing what they and we know of infamous cases of police brutality and fatal encounters.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Are you denying that there is a very real possibility of a black man being shot by the police if he's been accused of attacking a white woman in America?
No. I haven’t said that at all. I’m saying it’s a very wrong headed suggestion that that was her intent.

How is that so hard for people to grasp? Has the internet fcuked everyone up that much? You’ve even escalated the word ‘Threatening’ to ‘Attacking’. It’s so tiresome.

She behaved like a terrible person. She’s racist. She seems to have got her comeuppance in short order. It doesn’t need invented drama thrown on top.

With that said, a lot of folks feel differently and clearly think she wanted to get the guy killed. I’ll leave those folks to it as we’re never going to close that kind of gap.

Moby

Dick
Still I am not able to stomach posts after posts of people wanting her life ruined in every possible way.
Not every possible way but she absolutely deserves to lose her job and I am sure her employers are glad that they got to know about this. Racism is one of the most sensitive subjects at any workplace and this isn't some mild form of racism this is someone literally attempting to get a black man murdered racism. There's no way any workplace can justify keeping someone who's that far into being fecked up and she should rightly be fecked off from her job.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I haven’t defended her in any way.

I just think it’s very on the nose for people to complain about her nasty overreaction, then overreact and say she was trying to get him murdered.

I’ll happily take all the flak in the world for pointing it out too.
Because we don't have a mind reading device, we won't know for sure what her intent was. I don't think it's an overreaction to say that it is possible that she was trying to get him murdered.

Sure, people who are certain of this are overreacting. While hypocritical, their overreaction is much less likely to result in someone's death, than her overreaction was likely to result in the black guy's death.

No flak from here for pointing it out, but I think it's understandable that for a lot of people it will be secondary.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I don't think its silly though. Not in the same way. Like I said, I don't think it was her main aim (in the sense that if she had a gun, I don't think she'd have shot him) but she would have known that it was a possible outcome.

The bolded here is what baffles me. For all intents and purposes, you are saying the exact same thing as I and almost every other poster on here, when it comes to the woman anyway. We are not actually opposed as to the fundamentals of the matter (with regards to her anyway), which is that she's a vile shitstain on humanity.

I just don't quite get the adversarial style when we're essentially agreed?

I say this genuinely without trying to start an argument and also fully aware of how annoying it can be to get involved in a discussion with multiple people simultaneously.

Wolverine

She’s a racist piece of shit. That’s quite enough. Being pearl-clutchingly precious and dramatic about it sees you in the same pathetic pot that she inhabits.
Grow up.
That's not nice or accurate. I mean the people talking about it are outraged possibly more than others for reasons we are trying to convey here, rationally and calmly. But I don't think I or the ones who are more vociferous in criticising her are in the same pot as what she inhabits.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
She could have easily put the dog on a leash (without hanging it), said "ok, sorry' and moved on ... and if REALLY a little scared or wanted to ensure clarity of what happened, videoed it herself too.

But, to call the police is OTT.

To call the police and repeatedly use the words "African American" is sad and either trying to get a quicker police response (which is a separate, equally sad issue) or trying to push the guy into stopping videoing and/or leaving and say "ha, he backed down. I won".

To change her tone of voice and use "threatening" is just downright sick. I don't condone social media justice but fm, she's completely misread how this would be viewed and needs to have a look at herself. Post something saying completely wrong, no excuses, terrible and I'd like to apologise to the man.... might calm a little.

Why the feck was the guy filming her in the first place? Isn't that an invasion of privacy? Filming someone for walking their dog without a leash? Seriously? It seems everyone wants to be a justice warrior and hound people for breaking a rule, no matter how tiny it is.
I was trying to think, if someone said to me "look at this video, I want you to take the most contrary, irrational view you can", would I have typed this?

Maybe.

space

No. I haven’t said that at all. I’m saying it’s a very wrong headed suggestion that that was her intent.

How is that so hard for people to grasp? Has the internet fcuked everyone up that much? You’ve even escalated the word ‘Threatening’ to ‘Attacking’. It’s so tiresome.

She behaved like a terrible person. She’s racist. She seems to have got her comeuppance in short order. It doesn’t need invented drama thrown on top.

With that said, a lot of folks feel differently and clearly think she wanted to get the guy killed. I’ll leave those folks to it as we’re never going to close that kind of gap.
You are using your energy to defend the intent of a woman who called the police on a black man knowing full well what she was doing, she was even shrieking on the fecking call. It does not take a rocket scientist to know what can happen to black men when police are called in the USA.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
If I was that black guy, I'd feel like she's trying to get me shot.

That's nothing to do with the internet, that's the reality black people in America have to live with.

So with that said, I don't think it's over the top to say she might have been trying to get him killed, for the simple reason that she could easily have got him killed here.

That's why his phones out and why he's recording because that's his reality, and I think some on here can't quite grasp that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Still I am not able to stomach posts after posts of people wanting her life ruined in every possible way. I know justice system is malfunctioning in almost all countries throughout the world and seems to be operating on best of worst case philosophy but there has to be systematic way of dealing with such issues or actions rather than devolving into post modern version of mob justice.
sometimes, like with racist high school kids, im sympathetic, and yes this is mob justice, but i think she went above and beyond most others and in this case she deserves it. the other people who were recorded calling the police did not imply they were in serious danger. she did that deliberately. there are no laws i can think of that can match her actions with the punishment she should get.
so im not sympathetic to her losing her job (and dog :lol: ).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I was that black guy, I'd feel like she's trying to get me shot.

That's nothing to do with the internet, that's the reality black people in America have to live with.

So with that said, I don't think it's over the top to say she might have been trying to get him killed, for the simple reason that she could easily have got him killed here.

That's why his phones out and why he's recording because that's his reality, and I think some on here can't quite grasp that.
I would phrase it differently, I would say that she didn't care if the police shot/battered him or any other african american because strangely enough she didn't describe him and any african american in the area could have been in trouble based on her deception. People need to think about what comes into a police officer mind when they are told on the radio that someone's life is being threatened and then add to that the racial context.