Social Media Justice: A "Karen" faces consequences for threatening a Black man with cops

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why the feck was the guy filming her in the first place? Isn't that an invasion of privacy? Filming someone for walking their dog without a leash? Seriously? It seems everyone wants to be a justice warrior and hound people for breaking a rule, no matter how tiny it is.
I don’t know about the US but in the UK you are allowed to film anything you like as long as you are in a public area.

I don’t know how you managed to jump to him hounding her either. He was quite calm giving the circumstances of her getting increasingly hysterical and lying more.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is provocative but feck it, anything to distract from covid. Dods anyone else think that the most vicious and sustained twitter pile-ons tend to happen when it’s ‘progressive’ folk doing the piling on?
Seems that way to me too but that might simply be the echo chamber effect. I tend to follow progressive people on line so I'm more likely to see them engaging in a pile on.

There might be some truth in it though. Really those social media pile-ons are a performative thing, with people trying to show that they are a better person than X. That only works if the opinion you're expressing is the broadly popular one though, which an opinion like "racism is bad" will tend to be. It would then also make sense if those who anonymously abuse people online were more likely to hold an anti-progressive POV, as the shame attached to making broadly unpopular arguments is one they want to avoid.

Or maybe not. Fecked if I know, really.

Drainy

This is provocative but feck it, anything to distract from covid. Dods anyone else think that the most vicious and sustained twitter pile-ons tend to happen when it’s ‘progressive’ folk doing the piling on?
Maybe for 'non-combatants' but it's probably more in volume than viciousness.

In my experience of watching Internet brigading for some time, the left tend to after the general public more than the right does.

Though the right does too in fairness - I'm thinking of **** Norris.

Hammerfell

Why the feck was the guy filming her in the first place? Isn't that an invasion of privacy? Filming someone for walking their dog without a leash? Seriously? It seems everyone wants to be a justice warrior and hound people for breaking a rule, no matter how tiny it is.
The fact this is your major take from this story says an awful lot about you.

Wolverine

Probably just in case she tried to kill him or call the cops and lie so they could kill him...
This. I wouldn't be surprised if he talked to her calmly prior to what is video'd and her behaviour escalated.
There are injustices all across America even with damning video evidence.
I don't know how anybody can see what happens in the states to African american men and still question why they would choose to video record confrontations like this in the country that has had systemic racism documented and denied with the likes of George Zimmerman etc

Carolina Red

Staff
This. I wouldn't be surprised if he talked to her calmly prior to what is video'd and her behaviour escalated.
There are injustices all across America even with damning video evidence.
I don't know how anybody can see what happens in the states to African american men and still question why they would choose to video record confrontations like this in the country that has had systemic racism documented and denied with the likes of George Zimmerman etc
Indeed. The case of Ahmaud Arbery's murder in Georgia is a nationwide, well known case right now, and the only reason why is because one of the 3 people involved in the kiling of that man happened to film it.

SirAF

Ageist
As a social experiment, I text that video to several of my conservative colleagues... 10 minutes later - "How is it legal to post that video without her permission?"
What a shocker!

I appreciate the arguments against, but in this specific case I have zero problems with her getting screwed over. In another scenario the man who was watching birds could have been shot dead by the police ffs. As a sidenote, I’m impressed how quickly people found out her name and details just from that video :eek:

Carolina Red

Staff
@SirAF
To add to the social experiment text responses...

"Why is he bird hunting in Central Park and complaining about a leashed dog?"
"The panic in her voice is legit."

Wolverine

On a more general point, there have been loads of Karen videos doing the rounds recently. In at least one of the videos posted on the caf, the ranting woman was CLEARLY in the grips of a psychotic illness, expressing paranoid delusions. Public shaming of people who are mentally ill is not cool at all.
Its a interesting point actually. I was racially abused in ASDA by somebody who I could clearly tell was in the midst of a psychiatric illness, with a noticeable pressure of speech mainly. Chose not to escalate/report it.
I've worked in a secure psychatric ward with forensic psych and remember somebody who was psychiatrically unwell for whom I later gave a police statement to as suffered a severe forearm burn (due to the patient throwing a cup of mixed boiling hot water with sugar - the combination of which in prison circles is known as "naplam" due to its ability to cause severe burns) and that I did after encouragement from my consultant because you could have concurrent mental illness and still be legally liable as long as you can differentiate right from wrong and a lot of these guys who apologise later on can tell what they did was wrong.

Its difficult for lay public to differentiate between a temper tantrum and general karen-like unpleasantness towards shop workers or members of the public vs somebody who's mentally unwell. Online twitteratis feel more compelled to "shame" online those who they feel its warranted but I do thing the online shame often results in punishment not fitting the crime.

This lady though I think wanted a man to feel like his life was in danger. She knew what she was doing. I don't feel a lot of sympathy for her, if at all.

I don't know how people can look at those having temper trantrums and losing their shit and not feel sorry for those people and their first instincts are lets shame this person online and ruin their life as a default.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
That's what you take from this?

Smores

Invasion of privacy in a public park? Wait till you hear about CCTV.

SirAF

Ageist
To add to the social experiment text responses...

"Why is he bird hunting in Central Park and complaining about a leashed dog?"
"The panic in her voice is legit."
I can almost picture your response. «He’s not hunt.. nah feck it.»

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Its a interesting point actually. I was racially abused in ASDA by somebody who I could clearly tell was in the midst of a psychiatric illness, with a noticeable pressure of speech mainly. Chose not to escalate/report it.
I've worked in a secure psychatric ward with forensic psych and remember somebody who was psychiatrically unwell for whom I later gave a police statement to as suffered a severe forearm burn (due to the patient throwing a cup of mixed boiling hot water with sugar - the combination of which in prison circles is known as "naplam" due to its ability to cause severe burns) and that I did after encouragement from my consultant because you could have concurrent mental illness and still be legally liable as long as you can differentiate right from wrong and a lot of these guys who apologise later on can tell what they did was wrong.

Its difficult for lay public to differentiate between a temper tantrum and general karen-like unpleasantness towards shop workers or members of the public vs somebody who's mentally unwell. Online twitteratis feel more compelled to "shame" online those who they feel its warranted but I do thing the online shame often results in punishment not fitting the crime.

This lady though I think wanted a man to feel like his life was in danger. She knew what she was doing. I don't feel a lot of sympathy for her, if at all.

I don't know how people can look at those having temper trantrums and losing their shit and not feel sorry for those people and their first instincts are lets shame this person online and ruin their life as a default.
Feck. That burn story is nasty. Closest I ever came to that was someone pushing a trolley at me because I wouldn’t sign them out for day leave!

An ex-girlfriend of mine was working in a psych unit when a patient stabbed a psychiatrist during out-patient clinic. The shrink who got stabbed ended up in ITU and she had to hide in a cupboard while the patient ranted and raved around the unit (knife in hand) until the police came. Scary shit.

You’re right though. Someone can be mentally ill and still be a) responsible for their actions and b) an asshole. I also don’t think the Karen in the OP is mentally ill. Although it is a bit off the way she behaves so brutally towards the dog. That’s the sort of extreme/ difficult to explain behaviour that makes you wonder.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I do find myself feeling some sympathy for some of these people who are embodying the kind of Jon Ronson online shamed thing but this lady specifically wanted to get an innocent man murdered - she knew what the implication of saying to a African American man what "threatening african american man" means in terms of a buzzword for systemic racism with the sometimes fatal encounter with American law enforcement. She did that without caring for his life. I don't wish her harm as a result but finding it difficult to feel in any way sorry for her.
Give your head a wobble Karen

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
:lol:

So she calls the cops on a black man, in a park, near a white woman, in America. Sure
No, she calls a cop, on a black man, who's having an argument with her, and start videoing her.

Look, I'm also a minority in my country. I know she's using that card in this instance, and I do not condone it. I just feel I or anyone could be in her situation in a bad day. I think she's just trying to scare this man off, not trying to sinistically getting him killed.

Feck. That burn story is nasty. Closest I ever came to that was someone pushing a trolley at me because I wouldn’t sign them out for day leave!

An ex-girlfriend of mine was working in a psych unit when a patient stabbed a psychiatrist during out-patient clinic. The shrink who got stabbed ended up in ITU and she had to hide in a cupboard while the patient ranted and raved around the unit (knife in hand) until the police came. Scary shit.

You’re right though. Someone can be mentally ill and still be a) responsible for their actions and b) an asshole. I also don’t think the Karen in the OP is mentally ill. Although it is a bit off the way she behaves so brutally towards the dog. That’s the sort of extreme/ difficult to explain behaviour that makes you wonder.
Have you ever been in a fight where your emotion and panic starts kicking in and you don't realize that your friends needs 2-3 people to hold you down.

I once trying to hold my auntie from having a real go towards my uncle, and only afterwards I realized that her hands are bruised because I'm trying to hold her from hitting my uncle.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Doxxing is lame as feck unless you also put your own detail in the tweet.

No sympathy for the racist cnut though.

Carolina Red

Staff
No, she calls a cop, on a black man, who's having an argument with her, and start videoing her.

Look, I'm also a minority in my country. I know she's using that card in this instance, and I do not condone it. I just feel I or anyone could be in her situation in a bad day. I think she's just trying to scare this man off, not trying to sinistically getting him killed.
Right, because that kinda thing doesn't happen often to black men in America... and there certainly isn't a case making nationwide headlines right now about it.

Wolverine

Give your head a wobble Karen
ok maybe yeah thats hyperbolic. General gist of it though I stand by. I think she just had a massive hissy fit and being told what to do. Probably has a short fuse, maybe going through a lot. But she did a really shitty thing.

note how she mentions to him that she'll mention to the police about the fact that he's a threatening african american man. And stresses it in the phone call. There's a degree of foresight in doing that even if its in the midst of losing one's shit. She knew though what that would mean to the guy filming her, that threat.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As others have said, she actively tried to ruin someones life and her attempt was based on a lie, a lie that can have death as an outcome in the US. So to be blunt, I don't give a damn about the doxxing.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That pretty much nails it. She also feigned being terrified and altered her voice and stuff to make it sound worse on the phone.
Yep, it's the stressed voice that finally confirmed she is using race as the only factor here. Good on Franklin to take quick decisive action. Even if she is not fired but is under severe reprimand. But how stupid do you have to be to go ahead with that action knowing you're being recorded? Duh.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yep, it's the stressed voice that finally confirmed she is using race as the only factor here. Good on Franklin to take quick decisive action. Even if she is not fired but is under severe reprimand. But how stupid do you have to be to go ahead with that action knowing you're being recorded? Duh.
She probably didn't consider that the video would make it to the internet... but unfortunately for her, NY is a 1 party consent state.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
crappy-
She specified his race and then changed her voice for the police, I think she literally wanted him dead. That voice change is one of the most disturbing things from any of these type of videos.
Not denying any of that, she is definitely weaponising police's record of killing Afro-American men for her benefit. (Though that raises even larger questions for police in US.) I deliberately made this thread from a different perspective because of course her actions are condemnable.

Still I am not able to stomach posts after posts of people wanting her life ruined in every possible way. I know justice system is malfunctioning in almost all countries throughout the world and seems to be operating on best of worst case philosophy but there has to be systematic way of dealing with such issues or actions rather than devolving into post modern version of mob justice.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
She probably didn't consider that the video would make it to the internet... but unfortunately for her, NY is a 1 party consent state.
Isn't it allowed for video to be made of any criminal activity, however small, everywhere in the US? :eek:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Especially when they’re willing to strangle the poor thing half to death, to prove some weird point about leads. Obviously my sympathies should be with the guy being threatened with death by cop but, for me, the hardest thing to watch in that video is the animal cruelty. Why did she do that?!?
Because she's an arsehole, mate. Because she's an arsehole.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The more I think about the call to the police the worse I think it gets.

To even have that thought enter your mind in the first place is genuinely alarming.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why did he start filming her in the first place?
I think answering that requires putting yourself in the mindset of a black man in America where even the most mundane of interactions can escalate at a terrifying rate.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
As a social experiment, I text that video to several of my conservative colleagues... 10 minutes later - "How is it legal to post that video without her permission?"
Does your colleague also come on this forum?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why did he start filming her in the first place?
He was asking to keep her dog leashed and unfortunately in some places you need evidence when you interact with a stranger.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Poor bloke and poor dog. Woman deserves what she gets.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think answering that requires putting yourself in the mindset of a black man in America where even the most mundane of interactions can escalate at a terrifying rate.
I did not mean it in a sarcastic tone. I mean literally, what was the reason he started recording her, granted her response is shitty.