Solskjær press conference vs Saints (H)

Dve

I actually would also place some of the blame to our players. I genuinely believe if the players should some reaction to the clear push on De Gea, then the VAR would've scrutinized it and possibly overturned the goal. Same thing happened last year against Everton at OT. We all know that pressurizing the ref isn't a noble tactic, but the situation is similar to expecting a penalty for a foul without going down, its never gonna happen otherwise.
That´s a very good point. Why wasn´t De Gea furious.

Corey

I actually would also place some of the blame to our players. I genuinely believe if the players should some reaction to the clear push on De Gea, then the VAR would've scrutinized it and possibly overturned the goal. Same thing happened last year against Everton at OT. We all know that pressurizing the ref isn't a noble tactic, but the situation is similar to expecting a penalty for a foul without going down, its never gonna happen otherwise.
Completely agree. That goal was doubly annoying - De Gea's meekness led to the goal initially, and then De Gea's meekness in appealing it was a contributing factor in it not being overturned.

VivaRonaldo85

Yes Ole we need some characters in this team who will stand up. A big decision goes against us these days and not one player even approaches the referee for a word let alone in anger whilst our manager sits staring at his ipad through the whole incident. Passion is valuable (as much as I hate Pep and Klopp, neither of them would just sit on home bench and barely raise a word if some of these decisions went against their teams).

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yes Ole we need some characters in this team who will stand up. A big decision goes against us these days and not one player even approaches the referee for a word let alone in anger whilst our manager sits staring at his ipad through the whole incident. Passion is valuable (as much as I hate Pep and Klopp, neither of them would just sit on home bench and barely raise a word if some of these decisions went against their teams).
I was talking to my mate about this last night. We're quite a quiet team compared to others and compared to most United teams I've seen.

when Martial got a red card v Spurs, a couple queried it (Pogba?) but no-one really stuck up for him, pressed the ref to consider the Lamela involvement and I'm sure I remember Maguire (captain) just standing in the penalty area and looking dejected, like "we're up against it now".

I'm not for several United players screaming right in the refs face (though THAT time was fun to look back at) but the ones close should have been stressing the Lamela hit instantly, before he carded Martial, making him at least consider it.

Apart from Bruno, most of them rarely show fight, total commitment, desire to push each other and stick up for each other. Every good team needs some edge.

pablo__p

I was thinking about it a lot. It's not natural to be so quiet as they are whenever refs make blatant mistakes. I'm not buying into the theory that in a group of 11 elite footballers playing in the most competitive league around we happen to have only submissive pushovers and weak characters.

Either that's directions from Ole or they better have their testosterone checked.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Harassing the referee is a dangerous game at times. Could so easily result in more red cards.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Try seeing how favorable a ref will be towards you if you manage to make him dislike you.

hubbuh

Harassing the referee is a dangerous game at times. Could so easily result in more red cards.
It can also have a huge impact in terms of influencing the referee positively (for your team). Other teams do it, we're only hurting ourselves by not.

Maguire seems like a really nice, normal bloke but I wish he was an angrier man. Can't we get his girlfriend to start scattering LEGO around the house before games? Rub his bumhole with scotch bonnets when they're knocking boots? Something to get his blood going.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It can also have a huge impact in terms of influencing the referee positively (for your team). Other teams do it, we're only hurting ourselves by not.

Maguire seems like a really nice, normal bloke but I wish he was an angrier man. Can't we get his girlfriend to start scattering LEGO around the house before games? Rub his bumhole with scotch bonnets when they're knocking boots? Something to get his blood going.
Ask the Greek police if he’s an angry man:wenger:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I still fondly recall how Caf residents stated VAR would solve footballs issues with regards to officials making errors. I passionately didn’t want VAR, I standby my initial reaction. Can’t even enjoy a goal now as it has to be cleared:rolleyes: and then they still feck stuff up.
It's not VAR's fault that the ref who is watching the replays is blind/stupid, is it?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
I was talking to my mate about this last night. We're quite a quiet team compared to others and compared to most United teams I've seen.

when Martial got a red card v Spurs, a couple queried it (Pogba?) but no-one really stuck up for him, pressed the ref to consider the Lamela involvement and I'm sure I remember Maguire (captain) just standing in the penalty area and looking dejected, like "we're up against it now".

I'm not for several United players screaming right in the refs face (though THAT time was fun to look back at) but the ones close should have been stressing the Lamela hit instantly, before he carded Martial, making him at least consider it.

Apart from Bruno, most of them rarely show fight, total commitment, desire to push each other and stick up for each other. Every good team needs some edge.
Hassling referees has never, ever, worked.

Red_toad

It's not VAR's fault that the ref who is watching the replays is blind/stupid, is it?
The ref is part of VAR they’re the same thing, an AI can’t do the job, so it’s still down to a human. We all knew what we were getting, it’s crap having every single goal reviewed and play leading up to it. Football is about the moment, not sitting round for 2 minutes deciding if someone had a toenail in an offside position just prior to scoring.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
The ref is part of VAR they’re the same thing, an AI can’t do the job, so it’s still down to a human. We all knew what we were getting, it’s crap having every single goal reviewed and play leading up to it. Football is about the moment, not sitting round for 2 minutes deciding if someone had a toenail in an offside position just prior to scoring.
This isn't an offside decision, it's about whether or not the goalkeeper was fouled. If an experienced ref can't decide that after watching a reply 20 times, that has nothing to do with the technology, it's down to the incompetence of the ref.

Red_toad

This isn't an offside decision, it's about whether or not the goalkeeper was fouled. If an experienced ref can't decide that after watching a reply 20 times, that has nothing to do with the technology, it's down to the incompetence of the ref.
Like I said we all knew there would be a human making the call. So human error is still there. I’d rather just not have it and have the offical on the pitch making the call instantly. VAR has just taken so much out of the game, increased cheating and gamesmanship.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Oh blimey the penny has finally dropped about questioning decisions more but bit late now isn't it
Started with Maguire just telling everyone to get on with it against Spurs in the Martial - Lamela incident, I don't think he even spoke to the referee just accepted the decision. Many regard Rooney as a poor captain, relative to some of the others we've had, yet he was in the face of the referee for every decision which encouraged the rest of the team to be vocal about it too. I'm not necessarily saying to strip Maguire of captaincy but he's been very meek and teams have been getting a lot of decisions against us and Maguire's been nowhere to be seen.

ROFLUTION

Which incident was that?
10-15 minutes before where Pogba went for a header, Lacazette backed/ducked into his legs while he was in the air making a hazardous fall to the ground. Kane does this a lot too, and it's mindbaffling how its not penalized as its very much on purpose - any other "tackle" with intent of injuring an opponent gives a red card. In reality Lacazettes fall down from Maguires ducking was the same - just felt more awkward.

Imo both Lacazette and Maguires tackles could give red card - Maguire's didnt seem as deliberate as Lacazette's I think, but maybe my glasses are red-tinted

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Which incident was that?
Mental how you can remember something negative regarding our player but completely forget the action by Lacazette 10 minutes earlier.

red_de_pologne

Started with Maguire just telling everyone to get on with it against Spurs in the Martial - Lamela incident, I don't think he even spoke to the referee just accepted the decision. Many regard Rooney as a poor captain, relative to some of the others we've had, yet he was in the face of the referee for every decision which encouraged the rest of the team to be vocal about it too. I'm not necessarily saying to strip Maguire of captaincy but he's been very meek and teams have been getting a lot of decisions against us and Maguire's been nowhere to be seen.
I'd just say he's no captain, hope it'll be Bruno next season. Actually think it would benefit Maguire as well.

red4ever 79

I'd just say he's no captain, hope it'll be Bruno next season. Actually think it would benefit Maguire as well.
Maguire or Luke Shaw would be good. Really impressed with Luke's performances this season plus I admire the way he comes out and says it like it is when we dont put in a performance.

Flanders Devil

These are interesting angles. I think the best captains are the ones that are the ones that are smart and know how to work a referee without getting on their bad side.

Like it’s ok to be fired up about a decision. But be firm and respectful. Or even something small like not arguing a 50/50 too much at the time, then speaking to the ref in play after. Know when to hold em / know when to fold em kinda stuff. But then in the example of those two decisions - you do need to get your voiceheard. For example watching on TV it seemed likeeveryone just accepted Martials goal was never a goal. No commotion at all. No one celebrated etc. there was no pressure whatsoever on the ref to change the call.

Now I’m in Aus, so don’t get to see any live games to notice which captains do this better than others in the EPL. But for anyone who watches league, Cameron Smith is just a genius at managing a referee...never stops talking to them, but always articulate in his argument and mostly respectful.

Fosu-Mens

10-15 minutes before where Pogba went for a header, Lacazette backed/ducked into his legs while he was in the air making a hazardous fall to the ground. Kane does this a lot too, and it's mindbaffling how its not penalized as its very much on purpose - any other "tackle" with intent of injuring an opponent gives a red card. In reality Lacazettes fall down from Maguires ducking was the same - just felt more awkward.

Imo both Lacazette and Maguires tackles could give red card - Maguire's didnt seem as deliberate as Lacazette's I think, but maybe my glasses are red-tinted
Seen it now. While I agree with your assessment of the potential dangers of these moves, I'm not sure whether the refs or rules take these the potential dangers into consideration. They should, as a broken neck is potentially life-threatening whilst a broken leg is not. They should look at how Rugby treats these incidents --> Instant sin-bin.

Regarding the ducking, Lacazette was more deliberate than Maguire. Agree on Kane.

Mental how you can remember something negative regarding our player but completely forget the action by Lacazette 10 minutes earlier.
I was multitasking between making dinner and watching the game...
Mental how you just assumed that I deliberately overlooked Lacazette ducking.

iHicksy

That´s a very good point. Why wasn´t De Gea furious.
Completely agree with this. It's not that referees should be intimated either. - we're not calling for screaming in the referees face (Hi Roy). It's the same as when a player is fouled, if he doesn't go down despite there perhaps not being enough contact to make you fall, but you've been kicked - then you likely won't get the freekick. It's about making the referee's choice more clear cut. So that there's no grey.

What we're talking about is human decision. It comes down to two scenarios.

1. E.g what happened: Our man De Gea is pushed in the back. The ref either isn't sure it was a foul or doesn't believe it to be so. Our players show zero reaction. Especially the player who was potentially shoved. If I was a ref i'm not blowing for that, because it appears my initial assessment is correct and i've got no reason to doubt or go to var.
  2. What should have happened: De Gea is pushed in the back. The ref isn't sure it was a foul/didn't see it. The players go crazy, gesturing that de gea was pushed, dea gea runs up to him and says he was pushed and is irrate it wasn't a freekick. The ref now thinks, well they are clearly worked up/emotional about this and I might not have seen what happened. It's best to go to VAR and review the situation to be sure.

Manoucha09

Say what you want about Ole and his mentality, but he's definitely the best we've had at man management since SAF. It's easy to write off a player as fans, but Ole has shown with Bailly that quality players when fit and ready can be a massive plus. I'm not saying that Jones is going to come back and slot in, but he'll definitely be feeling a lot better after hearing what his manager has had to say, particularly about Ole's own history with injuries. If Jones can come back and play a few games (Europa League or FA Cup mainly), that may open things up for him to move to a Premier League club this summer. Hopefully he can move on and have a career similar to Evans somewhere else.

Ole really has been a breath of fresh air; I really hope he can be successful here. Imagine him lifting the league as manager, thing of dreams that!